Stop battery from charging while PC USB connected

Search This thread

CidiRome

Jul 28, 2008
I've put this question on other post, but that post was old and was not specific to this subject.

The question itself is: how do I prevent the PDA battery from charge while connected to PC through the USB cable?

I've already tested and got to this conclusion:
- Cut/disconnect the +5V pin from the usb port/cable don't work, when that is done the PC/PDA don't recognize each other and nothing happens.

Note: some ones my say that the lithium battery don't have the memory effect problem, bla bla bla, but my experience tells me otherwise. I believe that start charging when the battery is not almost empty is not a problem but stop charging before it is full is not good to the battery.

Best Regards,
Cidi Rome

grimreality

Apr 4, 2007
Charging the XDA Orbit

I have had this mobile since March 07 and when I get to work I plug it into the computer and when I get home I plug it into the computer and when I am in the car I plug it into the cigarette lighter. As of now I have not had any issue with the battery dying due to overcharging which is a pile of bs that was put around a few years back sort of like the idea that you have to drain the battery before charging it. If you actually look at your phone while it is plugged in it will state charging and will continue to charge until it is fully charge then will stop charging as there is no need.

CidiRome

Jul 28, 2008
In my opinion the problem is not overcharging or start charging before the battery is empty.

The real problem is to interrupt the charge before it is full.

I compare the case you describe to my chargeable screwdriver witch is always on the charger and time off it is not enough to discharge more than it will be charging next time, in other words, the time on the charger is always enough to charge the battery to 100% before the next usage, so a charge is never interrupted.

In my case I only connect the PDA to the computer when I need to install software, copy files or synchronize. The time I'm on the computer is never enough to fully charge the battery but is enough to start a charge that will be interrupted soon. The myth is that if a charge is stopped several times at (e.g.) 70%, after a while the battery will only charge to 70% even it says it is 100%.

Best Regards.

ednap

Dec 3, 2003
Sydney
Understand your "logic" even if I don't agree with it but everyone entitled to their point of view.

I don't know how to solve your problem though as like you say, remove the 5v and the unit will no longer be seen by the PC and therefore will not sync.

If you are concerned about battery memory you could however have two batteries.
One which you only charge to full, another you use when you want to do the quick sync etc.

I know this approach requires you to swap the batteries but it's the only way I can think to resolve what you are after and it would also allow you to compare battery life between the two batteries to confirm your opinion on battery memory affect.

CidiRome

Jul 28, 2008
The idea about two batteries is not bad but it would be only doable if it is possible to remove the battery while the PDA is connected to the PC and stays on otherwise the power cycle is to long to wait for it to turn off and on to switch battery.

landwomble

Jun 2, 2006
or...

Understand your "logic" even if I don't agree with it but everyone entitled to their point of view.

I don't know how to solve your problem though as like you say, remove the 5v and the unit will no longer be seen by the PC and therefore will not sync.

If you are concerned about battery memory you could however have two batteries.
One which you only charge to full, another you use when you want to do the quick sync etc.

I know this approach requires you to swap the batteries but it's the only way I can think to resolve what you are after and it would also allow you to compare battery life between the two batteries to confirm your opinion on battery memory affect.

...or you have two batteries, one of which you keep in a cupboard and swap it out when you think you see a memory effect on your original one.

bobybravo

May 8, 2007
Happen to see this at madaco.

Disable USB charge:

HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\usbfndrv

and change the

EnableUsbCharging to '0'

Soft reset.

Docc.

Source: xda-dev

Worked for me. I had soft reset my device via programs/reset device.
and the key in registry is stored

CidiRome

Jul 28, 2008
Hi there.

What software do you use to edit the registry?

Are you sure it is not charging?

I've read somewhere that it only disables the charging light but keeps charging, it would be good if it works.

Best Regards.

Kingdombuilder

Feb 11, 2008
Flint
Happen to see this at madaco.

Disable USB charge:

HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\usbfndrv

and change the

EnableUsbCharging to '0'

Soft reset.

Docc.

Source: xda-dev

Worked for me. I had soft reset my device via programs/reset device.
and the key in registry is stored

When i got that in the registry which one do I change?

I see:

BusIoctl
Dll
EndpointCount
Flags
IClass
IoBase
IoLen
MemBase
MemLen
Order
Prefix
Priority256
SupportedSpeeds
Sysintr
UsbIfDelayTime
UsbIfTestMode

i have HTC Touch Pro so I don't know if that makes a difference.

kevinlane

Oct 6, 2010
Rajkot
Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro
Stop usb charging

When someone asks about stopping charging through usb, So many people just say that modern batteries don't have menory problems and itis ok to charge it all the time. But, Here I want to present my personal otherwise experience . I was using my G3 for 15 months without problem, but for last couple of moths I am tethering it to my PC all day and my battery has gone. It used to last a couple of daysbut now doesn't last 6-8 hours.

So, If there is a way to stop charging via usb in android, Pl share it.