Jan 12, 2009
Tustin
First you have to flash this zimage
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=357141&d=1278649181

Do this by rebooting your phone into fastboot
adb reboot-bootloader

then,
fastboot flash zimage zImage

then reboot and follow the instructions on this tutorial and it will work like a charm

http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-hacks/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-htc-evo-4g/

Thank vinny75 for compiling the zimage that makes this work for the evo
and thank the guy who wrote the tutorial for everything else..
thank me for nothing because i didnt do anything lol

EDIT: EVERYBODY JUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THIS LINK
http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-hacks/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-htc-evo-4g/

Last edited:

Jykinturah

Jun 11, 2010
Please, wrong section... I am begging you. The Q&A section is two clicks away.

Ubuntu hasn't been ported to the Evo. It is a highly involved process. You can't expect a ROM for the Nexus One to work on the Evo right? There are drivers to port, kernel modifications to be made. Lots of stuff have to happen first.

The website you pointed to mentions that he is working on a port anyhow. Wait for that to come out.

I'm going to leave this here, because mistakes shouldn't be hidden under a rug, but acknowledged and learned from. I am following this thread, and I may give it a try when I am done with my Physics studies this weekend.

Last edited:

bobdude5

Jan 12, 2009
Tustin

Ubuntu hasn't been ported to the Evo. It is a highly involved process. You can't expect a ROM for the Nexus One to work on the Evo right? There are drivers to port, kernel modifications to be made. Lots of stuff have to happen first.

The website you pointed to mentions that he is working on a port anyhow. Wait for that to come out.

i messaged toast and he told me to put it in the development section

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
There is the Linux for android app in the market but it will only work with a loop file system which our kernels don't have or a specially partitioned SD card.
if loop file system is required and loop support isnt compiled into the stock kernel, i haven't checked this, but with the HTC source coded release last week, shouldn't be an issue to compile your own kernel adding in loop support or having a ROM/kernel dev add in loop support.
edit: if i remember right, its a simple option to check under file system in the make kernel config.

Last edited:

pseudoremora

Nov 28, 2009
Why is it you repeatedly insist on trolling this "wrong section" bull**** on almost all the threads? It's not your job.

Toast will take care of it. bobdude5 isn't a new member and yet you treat him as such? His question obviously belongs in this section and even when you call him out on it... a Mod has already authorized him to post in section? I bet you feel dumb.

It seems to me, you have no idea where most questions belong, it's probably best you keep your mouth shut and let Toast worry about those who are posting in the wrong section -- it's not even that hard for a Mod to move certain questions to a different section.

Add your input, just don't be a troll.

Last edited:

Jykinturah

Jun 11, 2010
Why is it you repeatedly insist on trolling this "wrong section" bull**** on almost all the threads? It's not your job.

Toast will take care of it. bobdude5 isn't a new member and yet you treat him as such? His question obviously belongs in this section and even when you call him out on it... a Mod has already authorized him to post in section? I bet you feel dumb.

It seems to me, you have no idea where most questions belong, it's probably best you keep your mouth shut and let Toast worry about those who are posting in the wrong section -- it's not even that hard for a Mod to move certain questions to a different section.

Add your input, just don't be a troll.

Yes, I feel dumb. And I am also very sorry. I will stop.

|Jason8|

Aug 25, 2008
Waldo
It's appreciated. :)

I'd be interested in getting Ubuntu working on the EVO 4G. This is definitely a kick-start kind of thread to get that done, too, and could definitely be a start to a larger project that didn't have much visibility before.

pseudoremora

Nov 28, 2009
I too apologize for my overbearing tone, it's just there are a tun of new people here and then there are veterans -- most of which know the rules by now and understand the ramifications for there actions; don't take it upon yourself to worry about them; that's what the mods are for. Again, sorry.... and thank you.
It's appreciated. :)

I'd be interested in getting Ubuntu working on the EVO 4G. This is definitely a kick-start kind of thread to get that done, too, and could definitely be a start to a larger project that didn't have much visibility before.
You might want to check the Nexus One thread, someone has gotten Ubuntu to work on it... the setup might be able to work with the EVO.

toastcfh

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Ok back on topic please.

Also I wanna add its most likely the kernel also. I can compile one for testing tonight if someone doesn't wanna help out and do it first. I think we also need to setup the evo on decordes Linux for HTC devices wiki. I'm at work so searching and linking isn't possible atm. I know he has a section for us there already. We can also gain from the wikis for similar devices there. Anyhow yeah let's not clutter thus thread with trash and let the development begin.:D

pseudoremora

Nov 28, 2009

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
I am actually working on this

The problem with it is that the Evo 4G kernel needs to be compiled with support for loop devices. All Nexus One ROMs actually support this but Evo 4G doesn't.

The best way would be to ask those guys making the ROMs to compile the support for loop devices for future versions such as OMJ Roms.

Then could just use the same Nexus One script and would work.

In the meanwhile, I am learning to compile the kernel myself but perhaps you guys can ask the others to include support for loop devices on other ROMs.

Vinny75

Jul 14, 2007
Just need to enable CONFIG_DEV_BLK_LOOP=y in the kernel config and rebuild.

Seems to be working now, installing LXDE as I type this.

extract the attached zImage then boot into fastboot and "fastboot boot zImage" to test.

EDIT: VNC works.

Attachments

• zImage.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,110
Last edited:

bobdude5

Jan 12, 2009
Tustin
Just need to enable CONFIG_DEV_BLK_LOOP=y in the kernel config and rebuild.

Seems to be working now, installing LXDE as I type this.

extract the attached zImage then boot into fastboot and "fastboot boot zImage" to test.

EDIT: VNC works.

yup it works! awsome man great job :) do you mind if i quote your post onto the first post?