Sep 22, 2007
Reactions: A.S._id

A.S._id

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2010
be my guest :good:

but this has nothing at all to do with this... to simplify the differences
you're extracting ruu,
im comparing 2 versions of a custom rom (which are usually zipped and thus require extracting)

different kind of extracting im afraid

The main task was, edit system.img (mount and create sparse image), but of course without extracting it from the RUU, it was impossible to achieve

ok, I understand that there is offtop, I just wanted to ask for advice, where do I make a thread, because the tool supports multiple devices htc ..

thanks for understanding

Last edited:

EnerJon

Jan 29, 2014
Suggestion

@Thunder07 Nice Work Sir :)
Just One Suggestion... Can't We Use BSDIFF/IMGDIFF Tool To Make Smaller OTA Updates?

What Your Tool Does Is, It Compare Two Folders And Then Extracts/Copy-Paste Different/Newer Files into "OTA" Folder... Thats Good, But If We Use BSDIFF Tool Then The Generated OTA Size Could Be More Than Five Times Smaller Compared To Original OTA... What Do You Say About it?

Actually i Was Working On The Same Type Of Project But My idea is To Use BSDIFF Tool in My Project To Make OTA Size More Smaller... Android is A Bit New To Me... Now i Need Your Opinion For This... Thanks Alot :)

Last edited:

Thunder07

Inactive RC / RD
Sep 22, 2007
@Thunder07 Nice Work Sir :)
Just One Suggestion... Can't We Use BSDIFF/IMGDIFF Tool To Make Smaller OTA Updates?

What Your Tool Does Is, It Compare Two Folders And Then Extracts/Copy-Paste Different/Newer Files into "OTA" Folder... Thats Good, But If We Use BSDIFF Tool Then The Generated OTA Size Could Be More Than Five Times Smaller Compared To Original OTA... What Do You Say About it?

Actually i Was Working On The Same Type Of Project But My idea is To Use BSDIFF Tool in My Project To Make OTA Size More Smaller... Android is A Bit New To Me... Now i Need Your Opinion For This... Thanks Alot :)

i thought of that...
but the way the mod community uses android makes it almost useless,
since a single byte change in an apk or something will prevent patching...
but this way you'd guarantee it being applied.

Reactions: EnerJon

EnerJon

Jan 29, 2014
a single byte change in an apk or something will prevent patching...

Yes You Are Right But Normally Files Don't Get Modified By Themselves... This is The End User Who Can Modify Files And He Should Not Do This if He Wanted To install New Updates, Same Rule Applies For Stock ROMs...
The Developer Of The ROM Can Also Leave A Note So The End User Will Be Aware Of it...

Or Atlease BSDIFF/IMGDIFF Tools Can Be Added As An Optional Feature, Because What i Think is, OTA Creator Becomes inefficient For Those CM/MIUI/Lewa ROMs Because Even Their Weekly Updated ROM Contain Dozens Of Files With Different MD5 Hashes, And Then The Generated OTA With This Tool Can Exceed 100MB... One More Benefit Of Adding BSDIFF is Developer Can Make OTA Update if He Gets The New Firmware Or New ROM Backup From Somewhere Else...

IMGDIFF Tool is Alot More Better Than BSDIFF Tool... i Checked Each And Every Corner Of The Web But Not Able To Find IMGDIFF's Win Port... i Asked Some Developers To Compile it For Windows Because i Dont Know Linux... But Still Stuck With BSDIFF Tool...
This Will Be Helpful For Alot Of Peoples if You Can Add These Tools in Your OTA Creator... There is A Guy in XDA Who Compiled IMGDIFF For Win, But Thats Not Working For Me... if You Know Where i Can Get IMGDIFF For Win, Pease Share The Source i Will Be Very Thankful To You... :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php

As The Name Suggest This To0l Will Create An OTA Update Package For You,
    It Doesn't Work Like The Actually OTA Packages Due To The Nature Of Custom ROM And Their Customization Ability,
    Making patching near to impossible,however this will scan to folder and compare them,
    picking the differences, creating a new OTA Folder, which you just zip and broadcast.

The Advantage Of Using This Tool Are Simple
    Smaller Update Packages,
    Faster Upload From The Dev,
    Faster Download For the User,
    It's Also Allows user to update without having to reflash stock kernel, as the modules (if they're the same) wouldn't be included,
    It's Also Allow You To See The Actual Difference between each updates​

Updates:
    Initial Release V1.0: Simple OTA Maker
    Update V1.2:
    Bug Fix
    Update V1.1:
    Logger Will Show An Error Should One Occurs
    Exceptions (These Will Not Be Compared But Will Be Copied)​

Upcoming Updates:

Suggestions
    All Suggestion are welcome

Notice:
    1) For Aroma Users I highly Recommend that after using the tool to copy and paste that folder yourself,
    usually Aroma options don't change and thus ignored by this app
    2) The Same Apply To the update binary
    3) If You Use This App, Please Credit, There is no need to tell me but i'd like to know
    4) Some ROM format the /system partition before installing the ROM, if so make sure to comment out that line
    5) I'd Highly Recommend You test the OTA package before publishing it

DOWNLOAD HERE
    Look @ The 2nd Post For A Quick How To.
    How To Use
    1) Extract The Old ROM (v1) Into A Folder And Place The Folder Into The "ROM" Folder
    2) Extract The Updated ROM (v2) Into A Folder And Place The Folder Into The "ROM" Folder
    3) Run The Tool & Click Refresh
    4) Choose The Old ROM 1st & Then The 2nd ROM
    5) Select A Name For Your OTA Folder
    6) Click Process & Wait For The Magic To Happen
    7) Now A Folder Will Be Created With The Name You Specified & Placed In The OTA Folder
    8) Now You "Probably" Need To Edit The Binary Script To Make Sure It Works Correctly,
    ^^ You Won't/Shouldn't Remove/Edit Symlink/Chmod Or Extract Unless They Specify A Specific File
    Awesome gonna use them for my roms....

Real Steel
    Awesome gonna use them for my roms....

Real Steel

Great,
    Let me know if you run into any problems.
    You do love making it easy for everyone:)

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

I'm cool like that :p

Sent from my HTC One X