3DMark Benchmark

Search This thread

Dakota0206

Sep 17, 2011
www.okc-tech.com
Has anyone tried the new gaming benchmark 3DMark? The Galaxy Note II doesn't do too well. More proof that Benchmarks don't really matter, or is the Note II really that bad with gaming?

uva5ybam.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

DroidOnRoids

Dec 30, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Benchmarks don't matter. Period.

I fail to see how the Note 2 is bad at gaming. This thing is a monster at processing data and graphics. Real world performance is what matters. Jelly Bean's Project Butter takes care of it.

EDIT: LOL 'Maybe it's time for an upgrade?' says the benchmarking app...

Last edited:

saps

Sep 17, 2010
Yeah i ran it got 3333 and then uninstalled it

DaRkL3AD3R

Dec 5, 2010
Felt I should post in here to clear some things up.

I've been working in the computer industry as a hardware guy for about 15 years now and one thing has been consistent almost all the way through: benchmarks matter if used correctly. 3DMark is almost a household name for us PC guys and it has been around for more than a decade. It has always been the go to tool to measure a computers ability to render graphically intensive applications. And their tests are notorious for being particularly brutal when they first launch.

What I'd take away from the Android version of the benchmark is that it just came out and as such is designed to pretty much butcher hardware. So long as we aren't too far off from other high end flagship devices in score then I'd pay it no mind. Now if other hardware is substantially faster than ours then I'd be concerned. The key to benchmarks is that you are running a consistent test that WILL show the performance difference between various hardware configs and software versions. This DOES matter. If it didn't then we could all hold hands and sing songs around a campfire as all our phones are created equal. That's not reality and benchmarks like 3DMark aim to visibly show those differences.

Also keep in mind when they release a build of 3DMark they set it up to be slightly future proof out to about 2 years. This means the program has to be intensive enough that it can still fully utilize hardware that hasn't been released yet and will likely be magnitudes faster than what's in our hands today.

As far as our phones being slow or maybe needing an upgrade, pay no mind. This phone is still top tier today and only a select handful of devices out perform it. But please don't dismiss benchmarks as not mattering. Especially this one. It certainly does matter, maybe not to some people but that doesn't make it any less valid.

shill1986

Dec 25, 2012
North Port, Florida
myworld.ebay.com
Well put. You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. If never understood why people say they don't matter. I'm not big on running or following scores, but I do peek every now and then at the benchmark threads.

Current:
VZW GNll running B10, 6,200MAh Hyperion with a Dremel'd box of otters & iPad 2

Graveyard: Droid - Droid 3 - T-Mo G2X - iPhone 4S

Dakota0206

Sep 17, 2011
www.okc-tech.com

I've been working in the computer industry as a hardware guy for about 15 years now and one thing has been consistent almost all the way through: benchmarks matter if used correctly. 3DMark is almost a household name for us PC guys and it has been around for more than a decade. It has always been the go to tool to measure a computers ability to render graphically intensive applications. And their tests are notorious for being particularly brutal when they first launch.

What I'd take away from the Android version of the benchmark is that it just came out and as such is designed to pretty much butcher hardware. So long as we aren't too far off from other high end flagship devices in score then I'd pay it no mind. Now if other hardware is substantially faster than ours then I'd be concerned. The key to benchmarks is that you are running a consistent test that WILL show the performance difference between various hardware configs and software versions. This DOES matter. If it didn't then we could all hold hands and sing songs around a campfire as all our phones are created equal. That's not reality and benchmarks like 3DMark aim to visibly show those differences.

Also keep in mind when they release a build of 3DMark they set it up to be slightly future proof out to about 2 years. This means the program has to be intensive enough that it can still fully utilize hardware that hasn't been released yet and will likely be magnitudes faster than what's in our hands today.

As far as our phones being slow or maybe needing an upgrade, pay no mind. This phone is still top tier today and only a select handful of devices out perform it. But please don't dismiss benchmarks as not mattering. Especially this one. It certainly does matter, maybe not to some people but that doesn't make it any less valid.

This is exactly why I posted. I left the OP vague to spur conversation.

The only thing I found odd is the Note 2 scores at the bottom of the scale, roughly 3300. The HTC One X scores at the top, 11000+. Its a huge gap.

Tornlogic

Dec 11, 2010
Definitely not what I want to see. I'm looking to upgrade from my Rezound soon to a N2 primarily for gaming.
Here is my score on my Rezound.
ugymuru2.jpg

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

DaRkL3AD3R

Dec 5, 2010

The only thing I found odd is the Note 2 scores at the bottom of the scale, roughly 3300. The HTC One X scores at the top, 11000+. Its a huge gap.

Tegra 3, it has a beast of a GPU. Nvidia has been dominating the GPU market on desktops for years now, it's a known fact that they also dominate the smartphone and tablet scenes as well. If you look around you can see several Tegra3 optimized games that have substantially greater visuals. It is just the way it is. Perhaps the Exynos 5 and Mali 500+ GPU will see a significant increase. I am counting on it.

Well put. You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. If never understood why people say they don't matter. I'm not big on running or following scores, but I do peek every now and then at the benchmark threads.

No problem man. I just like to keep things factual.

Reactions: Craleb

danaff37

Mar 14, 2010
Nashville, TN
Tegra 3, it has a beast of a GPU. Nvidia has been dominating the GPU market on desktops for years now, it's a known fact that they also dominate the smartphone and tablet scenes as well. If you look around you can see several Tegra3 optimized games that have substantially greater visuals. It is just the way it is. Perhaps the Exynos 5 and Mali 500+ GPU will see a significant increase. I am counting on it.

But with most of those tegra optimized games, you can fool them into using the better graphics on a non tegra phone. And it still runs good on my evo 3d and my note 2.

And the note 2 is much closer if not on top on all other graphic benchmarks.

It's been my experience that 3dmark has always shown nvidia products to be faster even though on actual games an ati can have better frame rates. It seems that 3dmark has once again targeted and optimized for nvidia

DaRkL3AD3R

Dec 5, 2010
Read this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6875/3dmark-for-android-performance-preview

It will explain why the GN2 does poorly in the GPU tests and excels in the CPU tests.

Yep good link.

Looking at the CPU tests is more important than the GPU tests for me. Almost everything in Android is CPU bound instead of GPU. It's only when you start playing graphically intensive games that the GPU starts to take a toll. That being said, Samsungs Exynos processors are still imho the fastest chips on the market. Keep in mind that the Exynos 4 is pushing over 2 years old. Look around at other devices/chips that are 2 years old and see how well they stack up against the chip in our phones.

I'm greatly looking forward to the Exynos 5 with the 4 Cortex A-15 cores. That thing is going to be a beast.

Breezer23

Nov 20, 2009
Chicagoish
Amazing how much better, faster, and smoother it ran on AOSP. My score was over 1000 points higher. I believe I was in the mid 3's with Beans 12 and well over 4k on Carbon. Bummer the battery life is awful on AOSP.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

OMG ITS SAPS!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

It's me. Finally ditched the fascinate last month. Loving the GN2