Samsung Galaxy S2 dual core @ 1.2Ghz processor & Super Amoled Plus launched.

Which superphone you will be buying?

• Samsung Galaxy S2

Votes: 1,140 95.6%
  • HTC Sensation

Votes: 52 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

EleCtrOx666

Aug 6, 2009
could you just use a desktop and play with the compression (i.e. expand it) then do some magic and load them up?
It's not that simple because the SoC-producers would have to rewrite their drivers.
But I'm not sure that's the way Nvidia protected their apps.. I'm sure there's more protection behind it.

For those who don't believe me, the screenshot:
snapshotai.png

Last edited:
Reactions: dhruvmalik

kersh

Oct 28, 2007
And voila, the tegra zone is going to be a killer for much people like i said before.

Some others will get the tegra 2 based phone and will be the most happy people. At the end maybe the exynos ends being the non premium phone version :D

Last edited:

android_master

Mar 11, 2010
Pune
So guys,i have reached Pune today early in the morning around 7.

Called that guy in Mumbai{aroung 10.30} & he told me that he indeed has received the stocks of SGS 2 in India.:D

The biggest upset/problem is the price point,from Rs 32,000{which he quoted to me for a single piece,i have told you me & my friends are going for it & are confident of getting it for Rs 30,000}...he is now asking for Rs 35,000{787$}:confused:.......Not less then that.

Anyhow we will be going to Mumbai later in the evening tomorrow & let's see the final outcome but according to the seller SGS 2 stocks have reached India;)

g00ndu

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
What makes you guys think that the Tegra2 model us capped at 1ghz while the Exynos is @ 1.2ghz? If you are the manufacturer, would you have it this way?

Sent from my GT-I9000

Enthrall

Sep 16, 2010

Called that guy in Mumbai{aroung 10.30} & he told me that he indeed has received the stocks of SGS 2 in India.:D

The biggest upset/problem is the price point,from Rs 32,000{which he quoted to me for a single piece,i have told you me & my friends are going for it & are confident of getting it for Rs 30,000}...he is now asking for Rs 35,000{787$}:confused:.......Not less then that.

Anyhow we will be going to Mumbai later in the evening tomorrow & let's see the final outcome but according to the seller SGS 2 stocks have reached India;)

Yep it certainly sounds like what Virussnake said, make an extra buck, for themselves perhaps, by selling it at MRP (Maximum Retail Price - for those unaware :p)
It's roughly the same price that you'd pay for while ordering from Clove.co.uk (shipping included).

Well, good luck!

sarsh11

Apr 7, 2010

He is probably trying to cash in on your desperation/excitement.
I doubt Samsung would price the phone at ~800$, would only drive away people.

Death666Angel

Jul 31, 2009
Münster
@Tegra2 vs Exynos: The screen shot states "this enhanced version...". Is it then save to assume that a non-enhanced version will work with non-Tegra2-SoCs?

Honestly, most I've heard/read about Tegra2 concludes that it is too late, i.e. it would have been killer had it arrived when Nvidia wanted it to (last summer), but now it gets beat by pretty much every other modern dual core Cortex A9 chip out there. The fall refresh might change that again, but we won't know when those SoCs will hit phones/tablets.

As for games being Tegra2 exclusive, I personally can't see that. At the most I see it being similar to iPad and iPad 2 with the latter having higher polygon count and more bump-maps etc. But you will still be able to play them with Exynos or OMAP4xxx. And probably even single-core SoCs like Hummingbird.

Exynos manages to record 1080p30 video whereas the Tegra2 only does 1080p24, so it likely will be the more powerful chip. We won't be able to settle this debate until the retail versions arrive and have been thoroughly vetted. I have pre-ordered the Exynos version. I don't wish the Tegra2 purchasers any ill and I think both versions will be successful. :)

Funkym0nkey

Jul 10, 2007
Moving around in the ancient land
could you just use a desktop and play with the compression (i.e. expand it) then do some magic and load them up?

Nah. You got it wrong. (ok , I gave incomplete info).
DXT is not a file compression format. It's texture compression.
All current you cores we have on market support different formats. DXT is only supported on tegra. If a game developer wants universal support he has to use ETC. All this should be streamlined with OpenGL ES 2.1. It's about time we get 1 standard in Android which all chip makers agree on if Google is to promote it as gaming platform.

SORRY FOR O.T.

silverwolf0

Apr 10, 2007
IT would be very stupid to assume those games will stay Tegra 2 only and stay ONLY optimized for Tegra 2. Atrix and Optimus 2x phones are not exactly flying off shelves, and the big boys like the Sensation and Galaxy S 2 have Qualcomm and Exynos chips. They will be optimized for those chips once the phones actually come out. Unless Nvidia owns all the games on Tegra zone, or publishes them, they should have no say unless they have bought some limited time exclusivity rights, and that would be just LIMITED. 3D games are expensive to make and no developer is stupid enough to not cater to the growing crowd. Multiplatform games have been on consoles for years, and consoles have unique proprietary architectures whereas Android phones barely differ beyond slightly different graphics chips which all have the same APIs and run on the same platform. They have no excuse since it's a piece of cake to update a game and it's all digital downloads anyway.

When are we gonna get rid of Exynos and Tegra fanboys? 2012.

EleCtrOx666

Aug 6, 2009
IT would be very stupid to assume those games will stay Tegra 2 only and stay ONLY optimized for Tegra 2. Atrix and Optimus 2x phones are not exactly flying off shelves, and the big boys like the Sensation and Galaxy S 2 have Qualcomm and Exynos chips. They will be optimized for those chips once the phones actually come out. Unless Nvidia owns all the games on Tegra zone, or publishes them, they should have no say unless they have bought some limited time exclusivity rights, and that would be just LIMITED. 3D games are expensive to make and no developer is stupid enough to not cater to the growing crowd. Multiplatform games have been on consoles for years, and consoles have unique proprietary architectures whereas Android phones barely differ beyond slightly different graphics chips which all have the same APIs and run on the same platform. They have no excuse since it's a piece of cake to update a game and it's all digital downloads anyway.

When are we gonna get rid of Exynos and Tegra fanboys? 2012.

Assuming things and facts are 2 different things. You assume developers will make an non-Tegra version of their games(well Dungeon Defenders did because it's free) but fact is there is no announce for it and it stays tegra-only for the moment.

It is not stupid to assume they will not make non-Tegra versions, not at all, since Nvidia is promoting Tegra-only games. It is stupid to think Nvidia is going to allow more non-Tegra version of the games, like you're thinking without any source or proves, while I can prove they are Tegra-only games. If you hope Tegra-games to come out with your devices, prepair to be disappointed.

And that's why I think Tegra is big ****.
@Tegra2 vs Exynos: The screen shot states "this enhanced version...". Is it then save to assume that a non-enhanced version will work with non-Tegra2-SoCs?

Honestly, most I've heard/read about Tegra2 concludes that it is too late, i.e. it would have been killer had it arrived when Nvidia wanted it to (last summer), but now it gets beat by pretty much every other modern dual core Cortex A9 chip out there. The fall refresh might change that again, but we won't know when those SoCs will hit phones/tablets.

As for games being Tegra2 exclusive, I personally can't see that. At the most I see it being similar to iPad and iPad 2 with the latter having higher polygon count and more bump-maps etc. But you will still be able to play them with Exynos or OMAP4xxx. And probably even single-core SoCs like Hummingbird.

Exynos manages to record 1080p30 video whereas the Tegra2 only does 1080p24, so it likely will be the more powerful chip. We won't be able to settle this debate until the retail versions arrive and have been thoroughly vetted. I have pre-ordered the Exynos version. I don't wish the Tegra2 purchasers any ill and I think both versions will be successful. :)
It's not saying "This enhanced version" but "This enhanced game". I didn't knew so few people knew that Tegra-games where Tegra-chip only. Probably because it's the only dual-core SoC on the market ATM.

Last edited:

Death666Angel

Jul 31, 2009
Münster
It's not saying "This enhanced version" but "This enhanced game".
I quoted it wrongly, sorry for that.
But "enhanced" still implies that there are non-enhanced versions of the game. And all I have researched about Tegra Zone states that they take games and make them run faster, more eye candy etc. I haven't read much in the way of exclusive games.

But anyway, I don't care that much about gaming on the phone and there are already plenty of good games around. I'll chose Exynos over Tegra2 any day of the week, even if Tegra2 will have massive game developer support behind it. :)

EleCtrOx666

Aug 6, 2009
I quoted it wrongly, sorry for that.
But "enhanced" still implies that there are non-enhanced versions of the game. And all I have researched about Tegra Zone states that they take games and make them run faster, more eye candy etc. I haven't read much in the way of exclusive games.

But anyway, I don't care that much about gaming on the phone and there are already plenty of good games around. I'll chose Exynos over Tegra2 any day of the week, even if Tegra2 will have massive game developer support behind it. :)

This mainly means Nvidia thinks their games are more enhanced than games not written by their SDK - I'm not saying this is true or false. Exynos is the way to go, if you don't spend money on Tegra most certainly the developers will make games for all Android-SoCs because of the non-popularity of Tegra. And there are still good games other than Tegra-games.

And if you read here http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-zone.html you'll see games are promoted as "Tegra-only".

The only two games that are also "Non-Tegra" in the list are Fruit ninja(because it exists since way before Tegra) and Dungeon Defenders(because it's free).

Last edited:

munwaioblivious

Sep 21, 2010
i live here in singapore and i was hoping it to be exynos processor. i dont mind the delay to be more but i dont want it to be super LCD. im used to super amoled from my Galaxy S and i think its the best screen ever.

golf2vr6

Apr 8, 2011
Arnhem
This mainly means Nvidia thinks their games are more enhanced than games not written by their SDK - I'm not saying this is true or false. Exynos is the way to go, if you don't spend money on Tegra most certainly the developers will make games for all Android-SoCs because of the non-popularity of Tegra. And there are still good games other than Tegra-games.

And if you read here http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-zone.html you'll see games are promoted as "Tegra-only".

The only two games that are also "Non-Tegra" in the list are Fruit ninja(because it exists since way before Tegra) and Dungeon Defenders(because it's free).

I really don't see any Tegra only games there....

"developed specifically to be played on NVIDIA® Tegra™-powered devices" doesn't mean it can't be played on others.

PC games have alot of NVIDIA logo's and ****....but that doen't say you can't play it with other videocards.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***UPDATE*** [Good News] =)

This is to inform everyone that Flipkart and Letsbuy.com are going to be getting back to us by the late afternoon with the official details. Both online retailers are promising attractive deals. I will post back to you all with the schemes.

Both Online Retailers mentioned above are confirmed to receive stock before the mentioned ship date, and will process orders in 24-48 hours as well.

Flipkart and Letsbuy.com should also be giving bundled accessories along with a discount.

We are expecting updates from ALL 3 RETAILERS BY THIS EVENING!

- Cheers! :cool:

Hello All,

This is to inform everyone that the Infibeam deal is ALMOST finalized.

Here are the highlighted Points.

1) The phone will be Rs 29,990.
    2) They will be providing Screen Protectors. (Stock Available)
    3) They are sourcing the HDMI Adapter for us. (Looking for Stock)
    4) They are sourcing a proper Case for us. (Looking for Stock)
    5) They are sourcing the Car Charger for us. (Checking Compatibility with SGS I Charger)

Deliveries will start June 9th and should be delivered within 24 - 48 hours.

Finalized details will be posted this evening. Due to the availability of the accessories, your order might be shipped with the PHONE and the Screen guard; the remainder will come soon after.

Arjun will be soon posting the details from Flipkart.

This evening WE ARE SURE BOTH of the FULL DETAILS will be available.

Stay Tuned.
    Infibeam deal final...

Hello All….

Well the time has come to make the official announcement of the Group Purchase with Infibeam in regards to the Samsung Galaxy S II handset.
    Arjun and I truly appreciate all of those who had faith and held out purchasing this device on our account.
    We have tried extremely hard with many online vendors to accomplish the most economical deal with the best value.
    From what we have surveyed is that most of the online retailers like to bundle items which we are not usually interested in and hence that incentive is wasted.
    What we have pushed for is a good discount on the device with some sort of an option to purchase WHAT WE LIKE for cheap.

Here is the deal, and please remember that we have tried very hard to accomplish this.

1) Infibeam will sell the device TO US USING PROMO CODE for Rs.29399.
    2) Infibeam will provide an Rs 250 Gift Brochure that you can use on ANY PURCHASE aside from the PHONE. Use it towards a case or any item you would like.
    3) Infibeam will also include a Screen Protector with the purchase of this device.

AS a Value Added Benefit. If the device goes lower than their NORMAL cost (Not our group cost), the difference will be added to our group cost.
    For those who have purchased, I apologize but your sale is done, but who are still pending the sale, you will get a better discount while keeping the Gift Brochure as well.

4) A Promo Code will be given to us BY Saturday (June 4, 2011) OR Monday (June 6, 2011).
    5) They will have the Page Up BY Saturday (June 4, 2011) OR Monday (June 6, 2011) – Same time as Promo Code For Us.
    6) While I was at the Infibeam Offices, we spoke to Samsung directly and confirmed that the devices for Letsbuy.com, Infibeam, Flipkart will all start delivering by the 7th and they will start shipping on the 9th of June.
    7) They have assured me that all devices will be dispatched on the SAME DAY as they receive it and you should see the device within 24 to 48 hours.
    8) Cash On Delivery Option is also available (Only in areas they service, please check with them first).

NOTE:
    ONCE you purchase from Infibeam, please PM Arjun90 or I with your Conformation number. We will confirm with Infibeam and make sure everything is on track.

All sales activity is done with Infibeam and we cannot interfere there. What we will make sure is that your sale is looked after with the utmost priority.

ALL SALES ORDERS WITH OUR PROMO CODE will be processed FIRST.
    You will also be eligible for ANY Additional benefits WE receive.

What Arjun and I will also like to setup for is a group purchase of the specified accessories. This will happen soon enough and Infibeam has assured us that some GREAT stuff will be offered and excellent rates.

Please once again confirm again via PM if you will proceed.
    To do so, please PM the following Details.

Full Name
    City
    State
    Add Statement “Infibeam” if you are taking the detail
    Add Statement “REMOVE” if you would like to be removed from this group purchase.

Once again, Arjun and I appreciate all of your patience and look forward to us all enjoying this device soon.

Thank You.
    hi dhruv. Just wanted some help 4m u...i jst saw s2 available on infibeam bt wt i want to knw is the handsets they r providing are june make or may make...i mean i already hav a handset 4m 1st batch n im waitin 2buy another 4m 2nd batch...how should i make out 4m which batch it is ?
    Plz help

It is all second batch now thats out in the Market. If you visit any stores, just make sure the BOX doesnt say AMODLED on it. Infibeam should be providing second batch now.

I guess the amount of soap solution we put also matters a lot. I think we need to put just enough to moisten the surface and prevent fingerprints. @Dhruv has a lot of experience in this as he has used Zagg as well as gadgetShield so perhaps he can comment on how much soap solution did he use. :)

Thanks @Tarun.

Basically here is how to make the solution.

1) Use 2 Cups of DRINKING water, dont use TAP water as it could contain calcium deposits which will cause crap to be stuck on the screen.
    2) Drop 1/2 Table Spoon of LIQUID SOAP (Use Detol or similar).
    3) Gently stir until FULLY mixed, make sure there is no soap lumps anywhere and NO BUBBLES. If you have some bubbles, let it sit for a few and they will dissipate.
    4) Clean the surface area where you will be applying the guard.
    5) GO WASH YOUR HANDS. indian food is very oily... :)
    6) Make sure you have the Fans turned off as they could blow dust and lint on your screen.
    7) Moisten your fingers (Both Hands) and peel off the screen protector.
    8) Make sure it doesnt stick on ANYTHING and quickly dump it in the soapy solution.
    9) Keep a lint free cloth in hand to collect all the water.
    10) Keep a Credit Card or similar available to use as a squeegee.
    11) When ready, make sure no dust / lint is on the surface area, if you have some, just try to blow it away.
    12) Now lift up the guard from water and let it drip away until there is very little left. Trust me, its enough to make it nice and smooth on your device.
    13) Move it around in place until you have the Camera Hole, Ear Grill and the HOME button lined up.
    14) Once you are ready, PUSH DOWN on the guard for a few seconds so it could somewhat stick and then start to squeegee the water out.
    15) Start from the middle, going outwards. Dont try to do the entire screen in ONE GO. Divide the screen in 2 from the middle of the home screen to the middle of the speaker grill. Using this method will make certain that MOST of the water is out and not going in the Ear Phone grill or Home button.
    NOTE: Whenever coming to the edge, collect as much water as you can with the Lint Free Cloth.
    16) MAKE SURE you let it sit for at least 1 hour before trying to turn on the device. Set it under a fan so IF any water went inside, it could also try.

Tips. While trying to do the side... Make sure you use VERY little water and let it sit in place for 5-10 minutes (FAN OFF) before trying to let it stick. Its a edge and has curvature which will cause it to not stick properly until the guard is Dry and Tacky.
    Infibeam....

Hello All,

This is to inform everyone that the Infibeam deal is ALMOST finalized.

Here are the highlighted Points.

1) The phone will be Rs 29,990.
    2) They will be providing Screen Protectors. (Stock Available)
    3) They are sourcing the HDMI Adapter for us. (Looking for Stock)
    4) They are sourcing a proper Case for us. (Looking for Stock)
    5) They are sourcing the Car Charger for us. (Checking Compatibility with SGS I Charger)

Deliveries will start June 9th and should be delivered within 24 - 48 hours.

Finalized details will be posted this evening. Due to the availability of the accessories, your order might be shipped with the PHONE and the Screen guard; the remainder will come soon after.

Arjun will be soon posting the details from Flipkart.

This evening WE ARE SURE BOTH of the FULL DETAILS will be available.

Stay Tuned.
    LoL!

Just an interesting update from all major online retailers,

Infibeam has bumped the price to Rs.30,499 Rupees

Flipkart has kept the price at Rs.30,999 Rupees and still selling

whereas

Letsbuy.com is officially out of stock. Who knows when they will be getting more stock. I'm also beginning to wonder what they are doing about accessories that have not been shipped yet, lol.

:cool: