Australia Optus Galaxy S no download mode!

Search This thread

vnbm

Jul 8, 2009
Is the phone bricked?
Can you boot into Android?

I had a similar problem
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=748475

If bricked let it boot to the black screen, leave it until the phone turns off then try to enter DL mode with the key Combo

If not bricked and you can boot to Android, best way is to turn debugging on and use the adb to reboot into download mode

Mine is not bricked. Boots into Android fine. Just cannot access download mode, recovery mode, or hard reset, using the hardware buttons (which do work in android itself.)

arch3rm

Feb 11, 2010
Glen Iris
arch3r.net
Well, why not simply turn on Debugging mode, and reboot the phone into Download/recovery mode with
adb reboot download
or
adb reboot recovery

Should work just fine

celtichazard

Apr 4, 2010
Same Problem here i contact samsung here in mexico and a technical aggent tell me if we make a repair our phones we need a jtag and this is so bad alllready contact many people jtag manufacturers in china and honkong trow alibaba.com and no luck don't have other source i try is contact to nspro and z3x and no support for this repairand only hope still have is a reply from the people in the forum SMTi Jtag Repair Tool

fwyt

Feb 24, 2010
Mine had the 3 button disabled! I believe anyway!

Took it back to optus today, tell them its DOA. They said they will send it off to see if it is a DOA or ELF.

If it is then I get a replacement, if not, hopefully they will fix it!

vnbm

Jul 8, 2009
Well, why not simply turn on Debugging mode, and reboot the phone into Download/recovery mode with
adb reboot download
or
adb reboot recovery

Should work just fine

Thanks arch3rm.

I did it your way and it (thankfully) worked ok. Now running Froyo.
I am quite certain as fwyt said, Optus are restricting the 3 button modes in their branded versions.

phoenixdigital

Aug 8, 2010
I certainly hope not I am hoping your phone is just a buggy phone. I have one on order now.

Also from this post it appears this guy got his phone into download mode and he only just recieved it yesterday from Optus.

(had to disable link due to being a noob to these forums so contents are below)
ht tp:/ /forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1506185&p=26#r507

---------
Samsung Galaxy S bought from Optus Online on 5 Aug 10. Delivered 10 Aug 10.

Comes with:
PDA: I9000DTJG4
Phone: I9000DTJG3
CSC: I9000PSJG1

Brand new phone (4hrs old) – No mods.
Quadrant = 850
-

After Update.zip from (link removed)
Quadrant 2188.

Now play time till 2.2 is released! :)

(btw, Thanks DH709. That link was great, and posted JIT ;) )
---------

scouzer

Aug 18, 2008
I have tested 3 Bell SGS and none of them were download mode enabled. They are definitely out there. My current phone is download mode disabled.

Hravz

Jun 17, 2010
optus SGS

i have a sgs from optus and it works fine going into download mode, so does my g/f's

ickyboo

Oct 26, 2007
Syd
No idea why Optus is chosing now to lock these modes up now, Thank whoever that I got my phone back in early July.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

frodmann

Jul 20, 2010
My sgs is from optus and I've had no problems updating firmware. Also did the same on gf phone.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

phoenixdigital

Aug 8, 2010
So where is the bootloader stored which handles the three button press detection to boot into download mode?

Is it in the NAND?

Excuse my noob question here if the bootloader is stored in the NAND is it possible to use something like nandroid or rom manager to backup a working 3 button mode phone and restore it to a 'neutered' samsung?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts