802.11ac tests on Gigabit

Search This thread

xenokc

Mar 21, 2011
I have Google Fiber Gigabit. The Wifi router doesn't support 802.11ac so I attached one that does and so far am able to get over 300Mbps with GS5 802.11ac. Might be able to tune router for even higher. But gives an idea GS5 can do at least this.

More on Google Fiber here...
http://www.dslreports.com/comment/3910/90792

GS5%20300.png

Last edited:
X

xtechx

I have Google Fiber Gigabit. They're Wifi router doesn't support 802.11ac so I attached one that does and so far am able to get over 300Mbps with GS5 802.11ac. Might be able to tune router for even higher. But gives an idea GS5 can do at least this.

Thanks for sharing! What was your negotiation rate at?

I was doing some iperf testing in my lab between 2 different 2x2 AC clients (Zenbook Prime w/ Asus AC-56 and Samsung Galaxy S5), but it appears that I found a driver level bug with the AP...so I'm gathering information then will be working on fixing it, before I test again. ;)

My WAN up here in Canada is horrible, hence why I was testing LAN performance...

xenokc

Mar 21, 2011
Thanks for sharing! What was your negotiation rate at?

I was doing some iperf testing in my lab between 2 different 2x2 AC clients (Zenbook Prime w/ Asus AC-56 and Samsung Galaxy S5), but it appears that I found a driver level bug with the AP...so I'm gathering information then will be working on fixing it, before I test again. ;)

My WAN up here in Canada is horrible, hence why I was testing LAN performance...

The link speed says 866Mbps. I'm using an Asus ac68u router at 5Ghz. I think it could go higher but it seems the speedtest sites are using a smaller sample file when it sees mobile devices so can't get up to full speed. Hardwired laptops can consistently get over 800M.

X

xtechx

The link speed says 866Mbps. I'm using an Asus ac68u router at 5Ghz. I think it could go higher but it seems the speedtest sites are using a smaller sample file when it sees mobile devices so can't get up to full speed. Hardwired laptops can consistently get over 800M.

Thanks.

I know with some stations it helps to disable beamforming. May be worth trying with it disabled, to see if that helps boost performance. IIRC it's just chip based beamforming on ac68u, not antenna array + chipset beamforming, but I could be mistaken, so there isn't as much of a benefit with it enabled anyway..

xenokc

Mar 21, 2011
Thanks.

I know with some stations it helps to disable beamforming. May be worth trying with it disabled, to see if that helps boost performance. IIRC it's just chip based beamforming on ac68u, not antenna array + chipset beamforming, but I could be mistaken, so there isn't as much of a benefit with it enabled anyway..

Here are the advanced options on my router. Any suggestions on what else to tinker with?

Frequency 5Ghz
Enable Radio Yes
Enable wireless scheduler No
Set AP Isolated No
Roaming assistant disabled
Enable IGMP Snooping disabled
Multicast Rate(Mbps) auto
Preamble Type long
AMPDU RTS enable
RTS Threshold 2347
DTIM Interval 3
Beacon Interval 100
Enable TX Bursting enabled
Enable WMM APSD enabled
Optimize AMPDU aggregation disabled
Optimize ack suppression disabled
802.11ac Beamforming disabled (tried this, no difference)
Universal Beamforming disabled (tried this, no difference)
Tx power adjustment 150mW (also tried up to 200, the max)