My phone is constantly rebooting

Search This thread

veebomb

Jan 22, 2011
Kitchener, ON
I'm having a very strange issue with my device right now. Basically whenever I flash any custom ROM I end up in a boot loop. It started last night after I flashed a couple of CM10 based ROMs and then tried to revert back to Skynote which is touchwiz based. I was able to fix it by using Odin and flashing the stock Rogers ROM .tar file. That fixed everything and stock was running fine all night with no reboots or issues. This morning I did a fresh download of the ROM rebooted to TWRP wiped cache *2, Formatted system *2 and factory reset *2, installed the ROM and rebooted. I should mention I am using TWRP version 2.4.1.0. The ROM usually loads for about 1-2 mins then reboots and repeats over and over. Does anyone have any ideas? I've even formatted the internal and external storage. I did notice there is one folder on my internal SD card that I cannot seem to remove called Z and has a LMT.apk and another folder with wallpapers in it. I cannot delete or remove this folder as it keeps saying the folder is write protected. Even after formatting the internal storage that folder remains which makes me wonder if my SD card is screwed up.

Sorry for the long post but I am running out of ideas and don't want to be stuck on Stock. What could be causing this? I've tried flashing a new kernel from TWRP and still the same results, I've even tried different ROMs just in case but still the same results. The only thing that seemed to work so far was the stock ROM via Odin.

veebomb

Jan 22, 2011
Kitchener, ON
I'm having a very strange issue with my device right now. Basically whenever I flash any custom ROM I end up in a boot loop. It started last night after I flashed a couple of CM10 based ROMs and then tried to revert back to Skynote which is touchwiz based. I was able to fix it by using Odin and flashing the stock Rogers ROM .tar file. That fixed everything and stock was running fine all night with no reboots or issues. This morning I did a fresh download of the ROM rebooted to TWRP wiped cache *2, Formatted system *2 and factory reset *2, installed the ROM and rebooted. I should mention I am using TWRP version 2.4.1.0. The ROM usually loads for about 1-2 mins then reboots and repeats over and over. Does anyone have any ideas? I've even formatted the internal and external storage. I did notice there is one folder on my internal SD card that I cannot seem to remove called Z and has a LMT.apk and another folder with wallpapers in it. I cannot delete or remove this folder as it keeps saying the folder is write protected. Even after formatting the internal storage that folder remains which makes me wonder if my SD card is screwed up.

Sorry for the long post but I am running out of ideas and don't want to be stuck on Stock. What could be causing this? I've tried flashing a new kernel from TWRP and still the same results, I've even tried different ROMs just in case but still the same results. The only thing that seemed to work so far was the stock ROM via Odin.

I should probably add that I was coming from Android 4.2.2 and want to get back on 4.1.2

thunderx2000

Dec 24, 2008

Do you have SD Card adapter for the computer? If so, try removing the card from the phone, then plug it into the computer and formatting it that way. For the ROM boot loop issue, try flashing a stock ROM using ODIN, then using whatever method you like the most to flash the ROM you want to use.

veebomb

Jan 22, 2011
Kitchener, ON
Do you have SD Card adapter for the computer? If so, try removing the card from the phone, then plug it into the computer and formatting it that way. For the ROM boot loop issue, try flashing a stock ROM using ODIN, then using whatever method you like the most to flash the ROM you want to use.

I'm now pretty certain its a bootloader issue as I'm downgrading from Android 4.2.2 to 4.2.1 but thanks.

veebomb

Jan 22, 2011
Kitchener, ON
yes, your card will still be called sdcard0

take your external card out completely, and see if the phone still boot loops

It still loops. This is crazy, when I used Odin to go back to stock it was working ok but everythin else has made it bootloop. I can try using Odin again when I get home and see if the restore SD card file works then. Does anything have to be done to the bootloader?

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
no, don't mess with the bootloader; you will probably brick it if you do

go back to stock via odin for a day or 2, and make sure its not the hardware itself..

floykoe

Feb 16, 2013
Wenatchee
Same here

I am having the same exact problem you are veeboom. It's not boot-looping because it actually lets me into the phone for about one minute; then it reboots. I have tried everything that you have tried, right along with you and result is nil. It won't stay on for more than a minute. The only difference is that I am just trying to get Roger's Clean Stock ROM working. It sounds like you have accomplished that and are trying to get a custom going. I have tried Odin flashing 3 times; once without the sd card. I am pretty sure SD card is not the issue. I have wiped this phone at least 5 times (everything except the the extSdCard (AKA sdcard1).

I am going to see if I can find some other posts on this problem and will let you know if I finally find a fix. Hope you will do the same.

veebomb

Jan 22, 2011
Kitchener, ON
Happy to report the end of the boot loop!

Although I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it was caused by an incompatible modem file I flashed over and over... :silly:

Thanks for everyone's help.

PsyCl0ne

Jun 10, 2010
OnePlus 6
Google Pixel 6
I am having the same exact problem you are veeboom. It's not boot-looping because it actually lets me into the phone for about one minute; then it reboots. I have tried everything that you have tried, right along with you and result is nil. It won't stay on for more than a minute. The only difference is that I am just trying to get Roger's Clean Stock ROM working. It sounds like you have accomplished that and are trying to get a custom going. I have tried Odin flashing 3 times; once without the sd card. I am pretty sure SD card is not the issue. I have wiped this phone at least 5 times (everything except the the extSdCard (AKA sdcard1).

I am going to see if I can find some other posts on this problem and will let you know if I finally find a fix. Hope you will do the same.

You should have started your own thread but can you give us a run down of what you did prior to having the boot loop?

~PsyCl0ne

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

floykoe

Feb 16, 2013
Wenatchee
Things just got worse

I have have the phone for about two months. A week ago I rooted it with Samsung Note II tool box and everything was fine, until I found out that there were these "custom ROMs" available. So I flash one, but it was unstable. I flashed liquid smooth; same thing, then I tried a few ROMS that were a little more mature, but their were always things I could not live with (like no blue tooth or apps crashing). I also found out what a boot loop was all about. It sucked, but the forums help me get it fixed. Now I am tried of messing with all these custom ROMs and I just want my old reliable system back, with root. Currently I am trying to get Roger's CleanROM AT&T Special Edition 1.2 working again (with I believe I started with). I have been unable to remedy boot loops that happen about every minute. I have flashed, wiped (everything), unrooted, re-rooted, flashed with Odin, flashed core kernel via odin per instructions, called it bad names and threatened it; then said I was sorry. I have repeated all these things many times, including with and without the extSdCard. SD card does not seem to be the issue. I am still looking for more things to try. Just now it has started refusing to boot at all. I gets to the boot screen and gets stuck.

I am trying to find out more about how to use ADB to re-partition upon stock ROM flash. You know anything about that? I have been at this all day.

veebomb

Jan 22, 2011
Kitchener, ON
It sounds like you may have done the same thing I did which was flash an incompatible modem file. My suggestion would be for you to use Odin and flash back to the Rogers Stock ROM. It's easy and takes less than 10 minutes.

Basic instructions,
1. Download and unzip Odin
2. Put your phone in download mode (turn off your phone, and press the buttons together: vol down + home + power for a few seconds)
3. Run Odin then hit PDA button on the right side, then find and choose the firmware file you downloaded to be flashed.
4. Make sure your device is recognized in Odin3 (The ID: COM box near the top left part of the Odin program should go yellow once you connect your phone)
5. Make sure re-partition in NOT checked
6.Press Start to initiate flashing
7. Once finished your device should automatically reboot. You may need/want to do a factory reset which will wipe all your data and you would be back to the way your first got your phone. Enter into recovery mode by turning off your phone and next press the three buttons simultaneously: volume up + home + power. After getting into recovery, select Wipe/Factory reset.
8. Reboot

You are now stock 100%

Here is a link to download Odin,
http://www.mediafire.com/?x4356fnc1ge48hf

Here is a link to the Rogers stock ROM you flash with Odin,

http://www.hotfile.com/dl/180165074/47da708/I317MVLALJ2_I317MOYAALJ2_RWC.zip.html

Here is a link to a guide with some instructions and a few pictures,

http://www.andromods.com/unroot-locking/how-to-restore-samsung-galaxy-note-2-to-stock-rom-firmware-with-odin.html

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Op you're on Rogers right? Make sure that you have the Skynote without the new modem.

~PsyCl0ne

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app