[GUIDE] All in one guide for Galaxy Star Duos S5282

Will this thread be helpful to starters?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Niku-Droid

May 27, 2014
THREAD NAVIGATOR : #1 - Thread navigator and Introduction about thread #2 - Root your Galaxy Star #3 - Install CWM recovery on Galaxy Star #4 - Install any custom rom on Galaxy Star #5 - Flash stock firmware on Galaxy Star #6 - Credits and some other info
Code:
# I and XDA will not be responsible for any damage cause to your device.
# Do some research before testing these methods, if you feel any doubt.
# Never ever blame me for any damage cause to your device, I will simple laugh at you.
# Below given methods are 100% tested.

So, are you new to xda?
Are these things like CWM , ROMS seem new to you?
Don't worry it wont be from now ;)

So, Lets start guys :silly:

Last edited:

Niku-Droid

May 27, 2014
Root your Galaxy Star

WHAT IS ANDROID ROOTING?
Android rooting is the process of allowing users of smartphones, tablets, and other devices running the Android mobile operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's sub-system.

Rooting is often performed with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and hardware manufacturers put on some devices, resulting in the ability to alter or replace system applications and settings, run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions, or perform other operations that are otherwise inaccessible to a normal Android user. On Android, rooting can also facilitate the complete removal and replacement of the device's operating system, usually with a more recent release of its current operating system.

HOW TO ROOT YOUR SAMSUNG GALAXY STAR S5282 OR S5280
Well, there are several methods to root this device, choose which seems to be comfortable for you :D

METHOD 1
Its best and safest method to root this device but this method works with only some of the firmwares. So first give it a try, If it doesnt work for you, then try other methods :)

i) Download Cydia Impactor tool from here

ii) Enable USB debugging in device.
iii) Now,choose puch supersu su binary to /system/xbin
iv) Click on push, and voila your device is rooted.
v) Download Superuser from playstore

METHOD 2
Its the easiest of the method but main drawback of this method is that you have to download file of large size.

i) Download pre-rooted firmware from here
ii) Make sure your device is switched off.
iii) Download Odin 3.07 from here
iv) Now, Boot into Download Mode,Press and Hold Volume Down+Home Button+Power Button together.
v) You should see a warning , Press Volume Up and continue (Don’t worry about any warning).
vi) Launch Odinv3.07.exe file from the extract folder of Odin.zip file. Connect your device to PC with USB cable.
vii) Wait until Odin show Added message in lower left message box in Odin and also ID:COM turns yellow.
viii) After your device is detected by Odin , Click on PDA button given in Odin.
ix) Select the pre_rooted_system.tar file from the extracted folder of Pre-Rooted Firmware you download above.
x) Click on Start button and flashing process will start.
xi) Now your device will reboot automatically.
Thats it… Your Samsung Galaxy Star is rooted now…

METHOD 3
I think, its the best method as you have to download only some small files and its 100% working method ;)

i) Flash CWM Recovery (Follow below procedure)
ii) Select Install zip from sd card.
iii) Select update SuperSU.zip.
iv) Click yes.
v) Reboot your phone now. Voila! Your device is rooted now :cool:

Note: All these methods require usb drivers to be installed in your pc, you can download usb drivers from here

Last edited:

Niku-Droid

May 27, 2014
Reserved

WHAT IS CWM RECOVERY
ClockworkMod Recovery
ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) is a replacement recovery option for Android devices, made by Koushik "Koush" Dutta. It is based on the Android 2.1 (Eclair) recovery image. Features include Nandroid backup, adb shell, advanced update.zip options (ignore asserts and signature checks), and file browser for choosing update.zips
The Rom Manager app may be used for installing CWM, overwriting the device's stock recovery. As with the stock recovery, CWM can apply software changes to the device. Unlike the stock recovery, CWM is able to entirely replace the device's primary Android operating system ("flashing a new ROM"), including with aftermarket replacements such as CyanogenMod. Once installed, CWM it is accessed by turning your phone off, then triggering the bootloader prompt by holding down some device-dependent button combination as it is turned on.
CWM is also known as clockwork and CW recovery.

PROCEDURE -
1. Install USB drivers from here
2. Download ODIN v3.07 from here
3. Download and extract the ClockworkMod tar file from HERE
4. Boot phone into ODIN mode. Forget? ( Press Volume Down + Home Key + Power key simultanaeously)
5. Connect your device to your PC via USB
6. Flash the tar file using ODIN v3.07

Enjoy!

Note - In some of the devices key combo doesnt work so you can fix it easily from here

Last edited:

Niku-Droid

May 27, 2014
Reserved

WHAT IS CUSTOM ROM?
A custom ROM is one that has undergone any modification from being a pure distribution of Android. Google make the Android source code available for anyone to play around with, and people take this code and alter it for themselves. Whether to add features they come up with, or to redistribute it with fun tweaks and additions. So a custom ROM can range in definition from some custom code modifications to make Android run better on a device, all the way to changing the homescreen, background services, and default software.

GENERAL PROCEDURE FOR FLASHING ANY ROM ON S5282
i) Put rom zip in extsd (Memory Card)
ii) Boot To recovery using key combination(Volume UP+ Home + Power), adb or thru some app.
iii) Do Factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache
iv) Flash rom by choosing option of Install zip from sd card and then select ROM zip file.
v) Now, Flash any other fix.zip file which is given by ROM dev.
vi) Now, Select Reboot System now

Enjoy the ROM!

Last edited:

Niku-Droid

May 27, 2014
Reserved

WHAT IS STOCK FIRMWARE
This is the operating system in its default form, without any modifications made to it except for any device-specific support required to run it on the particular device. Truly stock firmware provides the standard user experience of the operating system without any cosmetic or functional changes made. These days, truly stock firmware is primarily found in cases where both the device and the operating system is built by the same company. Amongst modern mobile devices, examples of truly stock firmware can be found on Apple’s iOS devices, Palm’s WebOS devices and some Android devices shipped without any modifications made to the operating system by their manufacturers.

PROCEDURE
i) Download stock firmware from here & EXTRACT IT
ii) Download Odin 3.07 from here
iii) Then connect your mobile to PC in download mode(Volume UP + Home + Power)
iv) Press Volume UP
v) Open Odin 3.07 and the box will turn blue after you connect your device.
vi) Click on PDA and select the .tar file of stock rom
vii) Click Start
viii) Your phone would be restarted automatically.

Congrats! You are on stock :p

Last edited:
P

psych.half

@Niku-Droid nice idea.. :)
and here's some suggestions.. hope you don't mid :fingers-crossed:

* revert the font size of the disclamier/warning and the other texts.. the warning is in smallest text and other text are way too big.. it's good to use red for warning.. also, yellow texts on white aren't easily readable.. just stick to black, blue, red and maybe one/two other colors..

* while users shoul be allowed to choose whatever rooting method they use, also provide a recomended method to which is easy and convenient
in our case, cwm method.. cydia won't work on newer firmwares. so on cydia and pre rooted firmwares, they will have do download and flash 450+mb of file with odin.. whilst they can download 9mb of cwm just to get root..

* the dl link of cwm recovery you have provided is old one.. it wipes whole, /data partion when wiping data, so all the internal memory is lost.. the updated recovery also, allows installing zip files from internal memory... please suggest to use this updated, cwm recovery instead of the old one.. [Updated Recovery] CWM 6.0.3.7 for GT-S5282 and GT-S5280

* some of these phone have problem of not being able to boot into recovery with ( Volume Down + Home Key + Power key).. it would be good to point them to this thread, [GT-S5282] Fix Recovery Key Combo Problem for Galaxy Star Duos

Niku-Droid

May 27, 2014
@Niku-Droid nice idea.. :)
and here's some suggestions.. hope you don't mid :fingers-crossed:

* revert the font size of the disclamier/warning and the other texts.. the warning is in smallest text and other text are way too big.. it's good to use red for warning.. also, yellow texts on white aren't easily readable.. just stick to black, blue, red and maybe one/two other colors..

* while users shoul be allowed to choose whatever rooting method they use, also provide a recomended method to which is easy and convenient
in our case, cwm method.. cydia won't work on newer firmwares. so on cydia and pre rooted firmwares, they will have do download and flash 450+mb of file with odin.. whilst they can download 9mb of cwm just to get root..

* the dl link of cwm recovery you have provided is old one.. it wipes whole, /data partion when wiping data, so all the internal memory is lost.. the updated recovery also, allows installing zip files from internal memory... please suggest to use this updated, cwm recovery instead of the old one.. [Updated Recovery] CWM 6.0.3.7 for GT-S5282 and GT-S5280

* some of these phone have problem of not being able to boot into recovery with ( Volume Down + Home Key + Power key).. it would be good to point them to this thread, [GT-S5282] Fix Recovery Key Combo Problem for Galaxy Star Duos

Oh! Thanks bro for some good ideas :fingers-crossed:

Niku-Droid

May 27, 2014
@niku-droid nice idea.. :)
and here's some suggestions.. Hope you don't mid :fingers-crossed:

* revert the font size of the disclamier/warning and the other texts.. The warning is in smallest text and other text are way too big.. It's good to use red for warning.. Also, yellow texts on white aren't easily readable.. Just stick to black, blue, red and maybe one/two other colors..

in our case, cwm method.. Cydia won't work on newer firmwares. So on cydia and pre rooted firmwares, they will have do download and flash 450+mb of file with odin.. Whilst they can download 9mb of cwm just to get root..

* the dl link of cwm recovery you have provided is old one.. It wipes whole, /data partion when wiping data, so all the internal memory is lost.. The updated recovery also, allows installing zip files from internal memory... Please suggest to use this updated, cwm recovery instead of the old one.. [updated recovery] cwm 6.0.3.7 for gt-s5282 and gt-s5280

* some of these phone have problem of not being able to boot into recovery with ( volume down + home key + power key).. It would be good to point them to this thread, [gt-s5282] fix recovery key combo problem for galaxy star duos

so its ok now? Well, dont forget to hit thanks and rate this thread and to answer the poll question. ;)

P

psych.half

so its ok now? Well, dont forget to hit thanks and rate this thread and to answer the poll question. ;)

did you miss samsung usb drivers in method 1 and 2.o_O it's needed for all 3 methods.. so just say.. make sure you install usb drivers before any method..
also link to usb drivers.. people are just lazy to use google @_@

and the cwm method needs some more steps for first time.. battery pulling and flashing fix.zip..

Last edited:
P

psych.half

@Niku-Droid
flashing CWM for first time with Odin needs a little more steps.. if anyone just flashes, stock recovery will be installed again.. and i'm too lazy to write complete steps..

* power off wait for 10 secs
* boot into stock recovery with key combo
* pull out battery, put batter back
* boot into download mode connect to pc
* flash tar file with odin.. normal PDA flash, checkboxes are cute but don't touch 'em.
* it will auto reboot into cwm, now flash fix-recovery.zip with cwm..
* power off from cwm
* boot again to recovery with key combo to see if working..

Niku-Droid

May 27, 2014
@Niku-Droid
flashing CWM for first time with Odin needs a little more steps.. if anyone just flashes, stock recovery will be installed again.. and i'm too lazy to write complete steps..

* power off wait for 10 secs
* boot into stock recovery with key combo
* pull out battery, put batter back
* boot into download mode connect to pc
* flash tar file with odin.. normal PDA flash, checkboxes are cute but don't touch 'em.
* it will auto reboot into cwm, now flash fix-recovery.zip with cwm..
* power off from cwm
* boot again to recovery with key combo to see if working..

umm...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: it didnt seem like that buddy. maybe i m wrong, but most of guys, succeded in installing cwm recovery by just flashing. bu the way, can u give me link to fix-recovery.zip :eek: , hope u dont mind :laugh:

P

psych.half

umm...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: it didnt seem like that buddy. maybe i m wrong, but most of guys, succeded in installing cwm recovery by just flashing. bu the way, can u give me link to fix-recovery.zip :eek: , hope u dont mind :laugh:

okay.. just checked..
the fix-recovery.zip files deletes install-recovery.sh in /system/etc.... but the file is not present in latest stock firmware... it is used to check hash of recovery partition at every boot and flash stock recovery if it changed.. this is to replace any custom recovery like cwm or twrp with stock recovery for an OTA update..
so i guess sammy insn't planning any OTA for galaxy star/duos.. :silly:

Attachments

• Screenshot000469.png
    Screenshot000469.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 144

Niku-Droid

May 27, 2014
okay.. just checked..
the fix-recovery.zip files deletes install-recovery.sh in /system/etc.... but the file is not present in latest stock firmware... it is used to check hash of recovery partition at every boot and flash stock recovery if it changed.. this is to replace any custom recovery like cwm or twrp with stock recovery for an OTA update..
so i guess sammy insn't planning any OTA for galaxy star/duos.. :silly:

Yea, buddy thats why, i had nt mention it bcoz most of the users had installed cwm by this method only :laugh:

Colmi Dvz

Feb 24, 2013
I ran root and install CWM but I want to make a partition of the SD with CWN and does not.
Recovery-CMW
-Advance
-Partition external SD
-1GB
-on
-Ext3 or ext4

done! but when reboot has not. : (

Whats happens? :(

T3snake

Dec 27, 2013
Vadodara
I ran root and install CWM but I want to make a partition of the SD with CWN and does not.
Recovery-CMW
-Advance
-Partition external SD
-1GB
-on
-Ext3 or ext4

done! but when reboot has not. : (

Whats happens? :(

sumthing to do with mtp or sumthing
id advice not to partition without proper tools using windows

Sent from my GT-S5282 using Tapatalk

Colmi Dvz

Feb 24, 2013
sumthing to do with mtp or sumthing
id advice not to partition without proper tools using windows

Sent from my GT-S5282 using Tapatalk

Sorry, my english a litle wrong xd.

Do you Advice me to partition with Mini Tool Partition Wizard ( for example) on Windows?

Thank you for anserwing so fast.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Reserved

WHAT IS STOCK FIRMWARE
    This is the operating system in its default form, without any modifications made to it except for any device-specific support required to run it on the particular device. Truly stock firmware provides the standard user experience of the operating system without any cosmetic or functional changes made. These days, truly stock firmware is primarily found in cases where both the device and the operating system is built by the same company. Amongst modern mobile devices, examples of truly stock firmware can be found on Apple’s iOS devices, Palm’s WebOS devices and some Android devices shipped without any modifications made to the operating system by their manufacturers.

PROCEDURE
    i) Download stock firmware from here & EXTRACT IT
    ii) Download Odin 3.07 from here
    iii) Then connect your mobile to PC in download mode(Volume UP + Home + Power)
    iv) Press Volume UP
    v) Open Odin 3.07 and the box will turn blue after you connect your device.
    vi) Click on PDA and select the .tar file of stock rom
    vii) Click Start
    viii) Your phone would be restarted automatically.

Congrats! You are on stock :p
    THREAD NAVIGATOR : #1 - Thread navigator and Introduction about thread #2 - Root your Galaxy Star #3 - Install CWM recovery on Galaxy Star #4 - Install any custom rom on Galaxy Star #5 - Flash stock firmware on Galaxy Star #6 - Credits and some other info
    Code:
    # I and XDA will not be responsible for any damage cause to your device.
    # Do some research before testing these methods, if you feel any doubt.
    # Never ever blame me for any damage cause to your device, I will simple laugh at you.
    # Below given methods are 100% tested.

So, are you new to xda?
    Are these things like CWM , ROMS seem new to you?
    Don't worry it wont be from now ;)

So, Lets start guys :silly:
    Root your Galaxy Star

WHAT IS ANDROID ROOTING?
    Android rooting is the process of allowing users of smartphones, tablets, and other devices running the Android mobile operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's sub-system.

Rooting is often performed with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and hardware manufacturers put on some devices, resulting in the ability to alter or replace system applications and settings, run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions, or perform other operations that are otherwise inaccessible to a normal Android user. On Android, rooting can also facilitate the complete removal and replacement of the device's operating system, usually with a more recent release of its current operating system.

HOW TO ROOT YOUR SAMSUNG GALAXY STAR S5282 OR S5280
    Well, there are several methods to root this device, choose which seems to be comfortable for you :D

METHOD 1
    Its best and safest method to root this device but this method works with only some of the firmwares. So first give it a try, If it doesnt work for you, then try other methods :)

i) Download Cydia Impactor tool from here

ii) Enable USB debugging in device.
    iii) Now,choose puch supersu su binary to /system/xbin
    iv) Click on push, and voila your device is rooted.
    v) Download Superuser from playstore

METHOD 2
    Its the easiest of the method but main drawback of this method is that you have to download file of large size.

i) Download pre-rooted firmware from here
    ii) Make sure your device is switched off.
    iii) Download Odin 3.07 from here
    iv) Now, Boot into Download Mode,Press and Hold Volume Down+Home Button+Power Button together.
    v) You should see a warning , Press Volume Up and continue (Don’t worry about any warning).
    vi) Launch Odinv3.07.exe file from the extract folder of Odin.zip file. Connect your device to PC with USB cable.
    vii) Wait until Odin show Added message in lower left message box in Odin and also ID:COM turns yellow.
    viii) After your device is detected by Odin , Click on PDA button given in Odin.
    ix) Select the pre_rooted_system.tar file from the extracted folder of Pre-Rooted Firmware you download above.
    x) Click on Start button and flashing process will start.
    xi) Now your device will reboot automatically.
    Thats it… Your Samsung Galaxy Star is rooted now…

METHOD 3
    I think, its the best method as you have to download only some small files and its 100% working method ;)

i) Flash CWM Recovery (Follow below procedure)
    ii) Select Install zip from sd card.
    iii) Select update SuperSU.zip.
    iv) Click yes.
    v) Reboot your phone now. Voila! Your device is rooted now :cool:

Note: All these methods require usb drivers to be installed in your pc, you can download usb drivers from here
    Reserved

WHAT IS CWM RECOVERY
    ClockworkMod Recovery
    ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) is a replacement recovery option for Android devices, made by Koushik "Koush" Dutta. It is based on the Android 2.1 (Eclair) recovery image. Features include Nandroid backup, adb shell, advanced update.zip options (ignore asserts and signature checks), and file browser for choosing update.zips
    The Rom Manager app may be used for installing CWM, overwriting the device's stock recovery. As with the stock recovery, CWM can apply software changes to the device. Unlike the stock recovery, CWM is able to entirely replace the device's primary Android operating system ("flashing a new ROM"), including with aftermarket replacements such as CyanogenMod. Once installed, CWM it is accessed by turning your phone off, then triggering the bootloader prompt by holding down some device-dependent button combination as it is turned on.
    CWM is also known as clockwork and CW recovery.

PROCEDURE -
    1. Install USB drivers from here
    2. Download ODIN v3.07 from here
    3. Download and extract the ClockworkMod tar file from HERE
    4. Boot phone into ODIN mode. Forget? ( Press Volume Down + Home Key + Power key simultanaeously)
    5. Connect your device to your PC via USB
    6. Flash the tar file using ODIN v3.07

Enjoy!

Note - In some of the devices key combo doesnt work so you can fix it easily from here
    Reserved

WHAT IS CUSTOM ROM?
    A custom ROM is one that has undergone any modification from being a pure distribution of Android. Google make the Android source code available for anyone to play around with, and people take this code and alter it for themselves. Whether to add features they come up with, or to redistribute it with fun tweaks and additions. So a custom ROM can range in definition from some custom code modifications to make Android run better on a device, all the way to changing the homescreen, background services, and default software.

GENERAL PROCEDURE FOR FLASHING ANY ROM ON S5282
    i) Put rom zip in extsd (Memory Card)
    ii) Boot To recovery using key combination(Volume UP+ Home + Power), adb or thru some app.
    iii) Do Factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache
    iv) Flash rom by choosing option of Install zip from sd card and then select ROM zip file.
    v) Now, Flash any other fix.zip file which is given by ROM dev.
    vi) Now, Select Reboot System now

Enjoy the ROM!