[APP] LUMOS v1.0 *FINAL* (Complete HTC Auto-Backlight replacement) [UPD.:08-02-2011]

Search This thread

DeepThought

Jul 6, 2006
Austria, Vienna
Well AFAIK as long as you can switch to an application using HTC Task Manager (or similar) it has own window and the task manager shows you the name. Or IGO works differently and has no window? Or minimizes to tray so you can't look? I never tried it.

In fact igo works differently, that's the reason I was asking. As long as igo is running it maximizes the app screen, so you don't see any window title. It is possible to minimize the app but when it's minimized it is not shown by any taskmanager. You just see the igo.exe process running with an process monitor but that's all. I don't know why they've done this - seems quite stupid to me - but it's like that.

The process support is possible but I have to test it, so this will delay the release by an hour or so.. look what have you done, I already wanted to release! You're bad ;)

:eek:
I feel really guilty now! really! I promise not to do it again soon! ;-)

(BTW I managed to program the killing without using any kind of polling, it's 0% CPU overhead now, I just used a very smart trick ;))

I don't want to give you too much credit because I don't want to sound like an apple-polisher but for me your whole app seems to be quite smart programed! ;)

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Lumos v04 has been released
- Please read the first post again
- Please read the second post again to see changes
- please don't just overwrite but delete the last version first completely
- enjoy :)

DISCLAIMER: Any similarities with Harry Potter books is mere coincidence and completely unintentional.

PS 4 DeepThought: The process detection is not possible without additional CPU stressing, guess we will have to figure out the iGO window name then, it has to have one :)

Last edited:

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
How about your task manager issue? Is it any better?

Haha DeepThought is already in bed, if he only waited 10 minutes... the delay is his fault anyways :)

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Everyone please report your findings about bugs or if it's working perfectly as soon as you can, I want to start GUI tomorrow and that means the core must be bug-free and finalized :)

I am also looking for a talented designer who would make a nice icon for this app.

Last edited:

DeepThought

Jul 6, 2006
Austria, Vienna
Lumos v04 has been released
Thank you Sir! I'm using it since yesterday evening and it's working great as usual!

PS 4 DeepThought: The process detection is not possible without additional CPU stressing, guess we will have to figure out the iGO window name then, it has to have one :)

Thank you for trying. Maybe you find a possibility at a later point? I still feel guilty for costing you at least an additional hour of coding/researching! But I still think it would be a nice feature because also some apps (as f.e. HTC Album or PocketInformant) change the window title depending on the folder which is displayed).

Everyone please report your findings about bugs or if it's working perfectly as soon as you can, I want to start GUI tomorrow and that means the core must be bug-free and finalized :)

There is just two things i noticed but probably both aren't bugs:

1.) Lumos is disabled when the device is on external power
This is probably not a bug but a feature I guess? But maybe it would be possible / worth it to provide an additional option in the settings-file where you can choose to enable or disable lumos on external power? Just a suggestion, I don't want to feel guilty for spending you additional time again! :eek:

2.) I don't manage to get the backlight minimum+1 to work
I'm still using the same settings as posted two days ago. Yesterday after updating to v4 I tried once more to fiddle around with the DIM_TO_MINIMUM_PLUS_ONE_BELOW setting. I have the DIM_TO_MINIMUM_BELOW setting configured to 1. And the Min/Max range to 4/9. But as soon as I enable the DIM_TO_MINIMUM_PLUS_ONE_BELOW setting with a value of f.e. 2 it doesn't fall back to level 1 anymore. I tried various combinations but as soon as the MIN+1 setting was enabled it never switched to minimum backlight level.

It's not important and I can definitely live with it as it is but since you said "the core must be bug-free" I thought I mention it.

I am also looking for a talented designer who would make a nice icon for this app.

A friend of mine is a quite talented designer (he made the graphics for hTorch). I could ask him if you want? Do you have something in mind how it should look like?

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Thank you for trying. Maybe you find a possibility at a later point?

Well look at this:
Code:
FindWindowCE(string lpClassName, string lpWindowName);
- ClassName
- WindowName
.. this may be used to detect even processes IMO, I just can't figure out how

Well I will implement 'EXCCLS: name, bl' in next version and hopefully we will google and figure out how to use it.

some apps (as f.e. HTC Album or PocketInformant) change the window title depending on the folder which is displayed).
Don't know about Pocket Informant but try name 'Album' for HTC Album, works fine for me.

Lumos is disabled when the device is on external power
I thought there would be no point in doing this, but seeing you can be on AC power in bed while surfing, yeah I will add it it's not difficult.

I don't manage to get the backlight minimum+1 to work
minimum_plus_one must be greater number than minimum, or it must be zero (disabled). But your point is right it doesn't work as intended, I seem to have switched the priorities.

It's not important and I can definitely live with it as it is but since you said "the core must be bug-free" I thought I mention it.
Bad attitude, just report everything you find, nicely done :D
A friend of mine is a quite talented designer.. Do you have something in mind how it should look like?
I have no idea, I can do something myself but it's delaying me from next releases, YOU don't want that :) Actually I have some ideas, let me try first.

Last edited:

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Lumos v05 has been released with all changes and bugfixes DeepThought has requested and some extras :D

! ability to use on AC power
! manual min and min+1 not working simultaneously
! another CPU usage decrease
! added both program and class exceptions

- Use Nox and select NO if you can't overwrite old Lumos with the new version.
- Please don't use your old configuration file, there are additions and you would lose the new features.

Now if anyone has a program which can detect running classes so the last 2 options get actually useful it would be great :)

Last edited:

Magus

Feb 14, 2007
San Isidro
wow just one day and i`m out of date with te v0.3 :)

thanks a lot for your excelent work!! i wil try the new version !!

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
GUI is in the works, first release with GUI configurator will be without installer just like now, I need to weed out bugs before I pack things up.

GUI will bring:
- a simple and clean Wizard with sensor and backlight calibration (done)
- Settings tab to set up low level stuff like polling and tolerance etc. (done)
- Exceptions tab to set up per-application backlight

When this is done, bugs fixed and everything is packed inside an installer, the original HTC Auto-backlight will become obsolete for most people, you have my word :)

PS: the CPU usage and memory footprint will probably already stay as low as in v05, there is only little room for improvement and the GUI is completely independent program.

For those who are anxious about the release, you can take a look at the grill :p
http://niker.hopto.org/lumos_gui.jpg

Last edited:

IceEyz

Aug 16, 2008
Lumos v05 has been released with all changes and bugfixes DeepThought has requested and some extras :D
Now if anyone has a program which can detect running classes so the last 2 options get actually useful it would be great :)
Gyrator is able to detect classes in it's learning mode.

Anyhow, very nice program, yet I have one question. Is it stable enough for me to install? It's not gonna mess up too much? :)

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
It's completely stable, but there is no option to just "install" it or launch it automatically after soft reset for safety reasons, because it's still just betatesting. You launch it as any other program and it will be invisible in the background managing your backlight until you kill it with Nox.exe or soft reset. Config.txt holds all options, it's well commented. All details are in the first post and I recommend you to read it if you are unsure.

BTW: Please read Betatesting as "Parts of it are still missing" instead of "Something doesn't work" ;)

Last edited:

patrickrivard

Oct 14, 2007
nic3r
I have tested it and it does not seem to kill LUMOS but ratter override the backlight settings... Because when I go to restart LUMOS it tels me that it is running... But it's not controlling the Backlight...

By Auto profile switching I mean that I have Phone Alarm set up to automatically switch the profile on certain set time of the day...

let me know if you have any solutions...
PS: I will try your new version .5 and advise, thanks

DeepThought

Jul 6, 2006
Austria, Vienna
Because when I go to restart LUMOS it tels me that it is running... But it's not controlling the Backlight...

You probably misunderstood the text which "Nox" displays as I did first. Nox instantly kills Lumos and than asks "Lumos has been deactivated, do you want to restart it?".

If it's not working for you, you should try to use some process monitor to view if the exe is running or not. It's not a general problem, but it could of course be something related to other software you are using etc.

HTH

DeepThought

Jul 6, 2006
Austria, Vienna

I feel honored! ;)

GUI is in the works, first release with GUI configurator will be without installer just like now, I need to weed out bugs before I pack things up.
[...]
For those who are anxious about the release, you can take a look at the grill :p
http://niker.hopto.org/lumos_gui.jpg

The GUI looks nice, I think it will probably result in much more people who are willing to use Lumos! One question: Are you planning to change Lumos into a service at a later point?

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Done :)

This is a BIG surprise, let me first update info in the first 2 post before I upload the new version 06g (you guessed it, G for GUI) ;)

There are some important changes in functionality (things are more simple).

If I use a service, there might be problems with interprocess communication, if that would mean implementing another way and increasing CPU load - NO, I would leave is as a process but I will definitely try some day.

Last edited:

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Lumos v06g has been released!

Please delete the old version ENTIRELY before using this one.
Please READ THE FIRST TWO POST for changes in Lumos architecture.

Fixed/added
! possible bug in exceptions causing Lumos service to crash
! Lumos.exe now acts as a switch (on/off)
! Removed Nox
! Updated default failsafe values
! added LumosWizard

Enjoy and report in please :)

PS: You can still configure the old way if anything goes wrong with the Wizard

LINK UP

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Final Version

Lumos version 1.0 FINAL
    has been officially released.

Most notable new features:
    - stability/performance fixes
    - Relative Exceptions (see FAQ)
    - exceptions that prevent device sleep
    - support for simple command-line services (see FAQ)
    - support for QVGA / HVGA displays
    - fixed issues and detection of defective light sensors that never report 0
    - automated handling of built-in auto backlight related issues (may require restart after installation to apply fix)
    - some ability to identify missing HTC drivers and offer a solution

Please note you can freely update over RC2 version and keep most of your settings but you will lose all per-app exceptions due to compatibility problems.

Also note that some new features may appear in English as they are not yet translated. Fixed translations may be released in the future if there is demand.

Download the new version in first post.

FAQ is in second post and is being updated if you have any questions about the new features.
    You're right, someone should write the documentation... someone.. :D

For now this will have to do:
    Backlight change 2500 (ms) - set to 1250 means
    Lumos checks for backlight every poll but doesn't usually change the backlight on every single poll to save CPU cycles.

Basically you are looking for light every 1250ms (looking at sensor is quite cheap if it's not polled extremely often) and you use a multiplier of 2x for backlight change 1250*2=2500ms (actually performing the BL change is most CPU costly thing Lumos does, about 3,5% peak).

BL = min below (lumens) dims the display to absolute minimum regardless of other settings once sensor is below the value.

HW keyboard dim timeout - obviously keyboard backlight duration when you slide open/type.

CLP was removed in last version, it had no practical use.

MODE tab specifies how backlight behaves in relation to sensor values, there are 3 presets or you can mix your own flavor. The default is best for most users.

Relative exception (and this IS explained in the FAQ I believe) means amplification/attenuation of the automatic backlight for some app rather than one fixed level. Retais auto-levelling but increases or decreases the result by some amount when your app is running. Basically gets you better readability for some apps and still saves battery compared to static level. Or it can be used to decrease backligh by an amount for some apps.. can't think of an usage scenario but I'm sure there is one ;)

I tried to explain the stuff that is not self-explanatory in the FAQ (second post here) take a look.
    I remember now why I haven't implemented it. The problem is when you turn the device on under direct sunlight, this behaviour would make you unable to see anything for the duration of one cycle (little over a second in worst case scenario on stock settings). That's why this should be an option if anything and not forced. I for one like it the way it is and having high-ish (last used) backlight for a second is better than not seeing anything for a second.

Your argument that you turn the display off and on often just proves my point. When there's sunlight, you would have to wait every time for the backlight to adjust to current conditions, instead of having it rather brighter and then dimming to appropriate levels if it got darker since you last used it.

I suppose it's a matter of preference, but current model is unarguably more practical outside and the effect on battery is actually positive.

Lumos remembers the last backlight used, so unless you change bright and dark places between the switches, it doesn't need to do any work at all, actually doing less adjustments in the long run - saving CPU time and in turn battery, since the actual BL change is most costly task.

If the display is darkened when you turn it on, unless you are indoors in minimal light, Lumos will have to do at least the same number of changes as now in best case scenario - making more work in the long run (not saving battery) and making you miserable in the process, delaying the first interaction with your device by over a second in some conditions.
    Lumos for Android is now available at Google Play Store
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.eliteforce.lumos
    cool...
    looking forward to trying and testing it.

OK - I'll make sure to send a beta link your way when I *think* it should work. I'm kind of blindfolded at the moment.
    The changes are not dramatic, you can see all changes in the second post it's mainly tweaks and bugfixes.