[Blocks OTA's!] Full root for Nook Tablet. [11/20/11] [Permanent root!]

Search This thread

hterzian

Nov 21, 2010
1G internal memory limit.

With a rooted device, can we remove the 1 G limit for non NB installs. If yes, what would be the process?

TIA

jayjr1105

Feb 17, 2011
Actually kinda glad my wife is not letting me have my NT til Christmas. By then you guys should have things sorted out and maybe a CM7/9 release out by then. Anyways, keep up the good work guys, much appreciated.

tsubus

Dec 1, 2010
plus.google.com
With a rooted device, can we remove the 1 G limit for non NB installs. If yes, what would be the process?

TIA

I think the easiest way would be to not mount /data/media, but you would lose 1GB of space. I don't think re-partitioning is a good idea, as it could really mess things up, especially if one day you'd want to go back to stock.

jdebay

Feb 5, 2011
Holliston. MA
Thanks a million for doing this root of NT

I would like to say thanks to all that been working on this issue of Rooting the NT.

I did it and it worked fine. Now going back and fixing issues that I did before rooting.

I have a NC and NT and I am in the process of writing an application. Will post here at xdadevelopers for beta testers.

AGAIN THANKS A MILLION. I LOVE MY NOOK'S. I will not purchase any amazon junk.

If anyone needs me to test something pm me.

rvr350

Nov 18, 2011
okay, here's what i tried to root mine:

I have allowed sideloading couple days ago, but I've installed Anycut to both Development and Application settings. The USB debugging options in both places in Development is checked, as well as Stay awakes. Auto mount was already checked, and i left it there. I have unchecked install from unknown source from App. settings.

When I plug into my windows XP, i ran the batch file NookandZergy, and initially tried to ping, and all i got was error: device not found. I exited.

What have i done wrong please? thanks!

sheetz

Jan 13, 2011
okay, here's what i tried to root mine:

I have allowed sideloading couple days ago, but I've installed Anycut to both Development and Application settings. The USB debugging options in both places in Development is checked, as well as Stay awakes. Auto mount was already checked, and i left it there. I have unchecked install from unknown source from App. settings.

When I plug into my windows XP, i ran the batch file NookandZergy, and initially tried to ping, and all i got was error: device not found. I exited.

What have i done wrong please? thanks!

You have to have auto mount unchecked and install from unknown sources checked

Last edited:

dang69

Jan 16, 2007
I would like to say thanks to all that been working on this issue of Rooting the NT.

I did it and it worked fine. Now going back and fixing issues that I did before rooting.

I have a NC and NT and I am in the process of writing an application. Will post here at xdadevelopers for beta testers.

AGAIN THANKS A MILLION. I LOVE MY NOOK'S. I will not purchase any amazon junk.

If anyone needs me to test something pm me.

Jdebay,

Had you sideloaded Google apps before root? I'm trying to figure out how to clean that up before using the latest moves in this thread.

tonyp22

Nov 20, 2011
It says adb composite device.

This does not appear anywhere in Device Manager.

I tried it again. Does not work for me. Here are the problems:

I ran runmefirst.bat from an Elevated Command Prompt. First, the

echo 0x2080 > "%USERPROFILE%\.Android\adb_usb.ini"

line appears to be bogus. There is no adb_usb.ini file anywhere in the package, and no Android subdirectory.

Proceeding on anyway, I turned on my NT, made sure Unknown Sources was checked, made sure auto-mount was unchecked, and then unchecked and rechecked from top to bottom the USB Debug and Stay Awake boxes (two of each - I even did the top USB Debug twice). I then plugged in the NT and it showed up once again twice under Disk Drives, but not accessible from Windows File Manager.

I said what the heck, I'll try to install the new drivers. I selected one of the Nook Tablet devices under Disk Drives and went to pick my own driver. Browsed to the usbdrivers directory where the android_winusb.inf is located. I selected that and got a message that the folder did not contain a compatible software driver for the device. Something about making sure it was for a Win x64 based system.

On top of that I can't even do an Install directly from the INF file, as it is not set up to work that way.

Last edited:

rvr350

Nov 18, 2011
Do you have the right drivers installed and the adb composite device showing in device manager? Can ADB see the device at all on the first prompt in the script?

I used the scan new hardware in device mgr, and installed the usb drivers. I am showing Android Composite ADB Interface under Samsung Android Phone. I still has usb debugging connected, but same results as before.

When I ran adb application, it created a folder (.android) under my Documents and Settings folder. and it exits immediately.

What am i looking for here? thx.

DssTrainer

Jun 5, 2008
Chicago
in the usb driver "runmefirst.bat"
instead of
Code:
shouldn't it be
Code:
echo 0x2080 >> "%USERPROFILE%\.Android\adb_usb.ini"

so it doesn't overwrite your existing? I have a kindlefire as well and need the vendor-id for that device too. can they coexist?

Also, where do I update the drivers? I see nook listed in "portable devices" in the device manager... and also as usb storage under the "disk drives" section. When I try to point to the updated inf file.. windows says there is no driver found for that device. But there are not "Other devices" waiting for drivers.

When I did these steps for my Kindle Fire.. it shows "Android Device-> Android Composite ADB Interface " but the nook doesn't do that. Only shows as a usb drive and when I turn off auto-mount..it still just sees it as a portable device but no drivers found

Last edited:

tonyp22

Nov 20, 2011
For reference

This does not appear anywhere in Device Manager.

I tried it again. Does not work for me. Here are the problems:

I ran runmefirst.bat from an Elevated Command Prompt. First, the

line appears to be bogus. There is no adb_usb.ini file anywhere in the package, and no Android subdirectory.

Proceeding on anyway, I turned on my NT, made sure Unknown Sources was checked, made sure auto-mount was unchecked, and then unchecked and rechecked from top to bottom the USB Debug and Stay Awake boxes (two of each - I even did the top USB Debug twice). I then plugged in the NT and it showed up once again twice under Disk Drives, but not accessible from Windows File Manager.

I said what the heck, I'll try to install the new drivers. I selected one of the Nook Tablet devices under Disk Drives and went to pick my own driver. Browsed to the usbdrivers directory where the android_winusb.inf is located. I selected that and got a message that the folder did not contain a compatible software driver for the device. Something about making sure it was for a Win x64 based system.

On top of that I can't even do an Install directly from the INF file, as it is not set up to work that way.

then...

*cough* http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15069134/add-ons.zip *cough* Put that into your android sdk directory and you have the drivers. :)

I've been reading through the posts from the beginning and ran across this one. What am I supposed to do with this? What android sdk directory?

sheetz

Jan 13, 2011
I used the scan new hardware in device mgr, and installed the usb drivers. I am showing Android Composite ADB Interface under Samsung Android Phone. I still has usb debugging connected, but same results as before.

When I ran adb application, it created a folder (.android) under my Documents and Settings folder. and it exits immediately.

What am i looking for here? thx.

Make sure you extract everything from the zip into a single folder (I just put mine on the desktop). You don't run the adb application, you run the nookandzergy.bat. When that runs and pops up, hit the spacebar, that should then show you whether or not the device can be seen and ask you whether it shows up or not. Make sure that before you plug it in that you uncheck and then re-check both debugging (top one first) and stay awake boxes

liquidzoo

Mar 17, 2010
Florence, AZ
This thread has brought me back to wanting a NT. I was going to get a HTC Flyer, but I held off knowing that something like this would happen. Great job Indirect! Now it's time to go pick up my Christmas gift and get back into Android rooting.

sheetz

Jan 13, 2011
This thread has brought me back to wanting a NT. I was going to get a HTC Flyer, but I held off knowing that something like this would happen. Great job Indirect! Now it's time to go pick up my Christmas gift and get back into Android rooting.

Yeah, short of custom roms there is essentially everything you could want at this point. You can root and have access to the market and use a custom launcher as well as re-map the N button to go to that custom launcher. In some ways this is everything I want so I have launcher pro but also can use the nook UI if I want. Until ICS is out and I truly begin drooling over that I'm fully satisfied :)

beatlesfan01

Sep 22, 2010
NW Indiana
Sorry for the dumb question guys lol. My skills at this are limited to flashing in CWM and metamorph. Is this rooting method an easy one-click method or do I have to run scripts in adb(which I know nothing about)? Also, will it work on a Windown XP machine?

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

sheetz

Jan 13, 2011
Sorry for the dumb question guys lol. My skills at this are limited to flashing in CWM and metamorph. Is this rooting method an easy one-click method or do I have to run scripts in adb(which I know nothing about)? Also, will it work on a Windown XP machine?

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

Should work on an XP machine and it is not a one-click but its close. You just need to install the correct drivers and then double click a batch file. Then you just answer y or n to some questions in the prompt. No more difficult than moving around CWM :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note from developer: If you want to block OTA updates, just use the adb hijack app once (click the button on it once) and then you can run the OTA block part of this script and every other mod for it. The hijacker is right below this V
    If you already ran this script but want to apply the mods from an update to the script: Just use this method to be able to rerun the script

NOTE: Anyone who is having problems with drivers, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1363652 <-- That explains the two most common problems.

Step by step video from my friend Albert to gain root access:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zbT1Fj38nE

This also includes a gApps install section in it incase you decide you want to run that. :)

You may NOT use the included script in your work without atleast asking me as of now, this may change in the future but I dont want to have to hop from thread to thread just to offer support when I can keep the answers organized for all to find. So please just ask first.
    Thanks.

Information:
    I have gotten zergRush to work on the nook tablet as well as created a batch script for you to run to allow you to root your tablet. This does NOT unlock the bootloader software/hardware checks this is just so you can remove whatever unnecessary crap you wish to get the **** off your device.

Features:

Root (obviously)
    Gapps install
    De-bloat menu
    System mods (New gallery, email, keyboard, and live wallpaper support)
    Launcher install (Choice of 3!)
    Homecatcher installer (if you install a launcher in the previously mentioned feature)
    Root check
    USB Vendor ID check.

Needed files for root:
    You need drivers first:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15069134/usbdrivers.zip

here is an app to pull up usb debugging menu
    http://li362-167.members.linode.com/gapps/non_google/tgps_launcher.apk
    Code:
    <robertely> Also note, that while that box will remain checked, the setting is not persistant.
    <robertely> So you have to flick the top 'Usb Development' box twice to get it working.

Download Link for rooting script:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15069134/Nook&Zergy.zip

Code:
    MD5sum
    5df962260797ec4e3d80e107bca1fdb2

How to get adb debugging enabled:
    Download the apk provided in the second download link to be able to access the menu *if you're just installing an app the first time, it will pull up the menu anyway but this is more for AFTER you have root as a convienance to access usb debugging and whatnot. Just try to install the apk *or open it if you already set unknown sources* and you will get a prompt to allow non-market apps. Click settings then you should be able to see "Unknown sources" check that followed by going into "Development" and check the 2 "Usb Debugging" boxes and uncheck "auto mount" then your nook tablet is ready to be used in debugging mode.

Instructions to root:

1. Download the "usbdrivers" zip
    2. Download the "Nook&Zergy.zip"
    3. Extract both to a folder C:\ntroot\
    4. Now you should see the following files and folders inside c:\ntroot:
    5. Run "runmefirst.bat" and follow the instructions.

6a. When the batch file opens the device manager, If you don't see a broken device icon next to "NOOK Tablet" then you may have some other generic drivers taking over. Not sure how to remove them so you will have to move to another PC that has never had a tablet hooked up and start over.

6b. If you do see NOOK Tablet with a broken device icon.. then right click and choose "update driver". Choose "Let me specify where the driver is" and browse to the c:\ntroot\usbdriver folder and hit ok. It should install and you can click "OK" to the warning about unsigned drivers.

7. Run "NookandZergy.bat" and follow the instructions
    7a. If you see a long string of numbers/letters it's your device
    Now you should have root.

How to Unroot and Undo system mods: Check out this thread:

Code:
    Changelog:
    7.5: Added file to block OTA's directly instead of needing titanium backup and did a few script fixes as well as added brianf21's hiddensettings app.
    7.0.1: Fixed minor bug where systemui mod was not being properly installed (wrong command was used)  NOTE: You will get force closes from the systemui until the script finishes and reboots your tablet.
    7.0: Allowed recognition of users that used ADB Hijacker app to allow for system mods to occur even if you didnt choose them with the script originally
    6.0: Added ricochet1k's SystemUI mod to have perm back / menu button on status bar + have N automatically redirect to home on first click
    6.0: (continued) fixed the sdcard check for users since Zerg causes auto unmount of the sdcard
    5.2: Added check for sdcard to install files
    5.0.1: Added option for access to the titanium backup and push them to sdcard even if you are already rooted
    5.0: Added Titanium backup as well as files needed to block OTA's
    4.7: New Market added (3.4.4)
    4.6: Added permissions fix.
    4.5.5: (Debloater): Added Extreme Debloater option
    4.5: Debloated updated to be a customized menu (Has a menu included now) [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20229004&postcount=625"]found here[/URL]
    4.1: Removed bugs
    4.0: Included de-bloater and launcher install (you get to choose!)
    3.5: Updated to check for proper USB Vendor ID as well as check for root.
    3.0: Updated to include system app  replacements (Keyboard, Email, Gallery) As well as adding live wallpapers for other launchers. You need to choose to run this part of the script same as gApps.
    2.7: Updated Gapps to latest [9/30/2011]
    2.5: Fixed a few minor typo's/bugs with the script
    v2.1: Added usb vendor id addition to adb_usb.ini
    v2.0: Rewritten script to allow for more user choices; added Gapps installer (thanks anlog); Added busybox installer apk and debug menu puller (allows you to access debugging menu)
    v1.1 Updated superuser apk
    v1.0: Official release
    v.75: Updated to install SU and superuser.apk
    v.5: Initial release
    Code:
    Credits:
    Gojimi for his HomeCatcher.apk
    Developers of ADW launcher for their APK
    Developers of Go launcher for their APK
    Syndicate Apps for their Honeycomb Launcher
    anlog for finding out how to get nook color drivers to work and general testing
    Team Revolutionary for their exploit
    B&N for using android like good little sheep
    suicideclown for bearing with me while I tried to get it to work on his computer until anlog found the driver fix.
    Dsstrainer for the simplified instructions.

How to do it manually instead of running the Nook&Zergy.bat file (for linux or mac users or someone who wants to do it all manually)

Install drivers and follow instructions up until running the batch file then do the following commands in order:
    Code:
    adb push zergrush /data/local/zergy
    adb shell "chmod 755 /data/local/zergy;cd /data/local/;./zergy"
    adb wait-for-device install Superuser.apk
    adb remount
    adb push su /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell cd /data/local/tmp;chmod 777 su;cd /;mount -o remount,rw -t rootfs rootfs /;
    adb push su /system/bin/su
    adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

Wanna buy me a coffee or something pretty for christmas?

Unroot method can be found here

Rooted nook tablet using my method
    Taken from inside of barnes and noble;
    IMAG0049.jpg
    Well now, we can all focus on the bootloader issue which is a tad bit advanced for me so I'll sit quietly in the shadows until I can offer advice and help people out. I'm glad I can say I successfully rooted the Nook Tablet. :)
    Crap...

I got into the application settings menu and was able to allow sideloading, but the window closed before i could turn on usb debugging. I can't figure out how to get back into the menu, since when I try to install an APK it actually does it now instead of spitting out an error.

Looks like I'm going to have to factory reset. I'll try the root right after that and report results here...

BTW, are those drivers 32-bit or 64-bit?
    Install instructions are a bit confusing for those having issues... they are written like devs, not users.

To simplify.

1. Download the "usbdrivers" zip
    2. Download the "Nook&Zergy.zip"
    3. Extract both to a folder like "C:\ntroot"
    4. Now you should see the following files and folders inside c:\ntroot:
    \system\
    \usbdrivers\
    adb.exe
    AdbWinApi.dll
    AdbWinUsbApi.dll
    busyboxinstall.apk
    debug.apk
    NookandZergy.bat
    runmefirst.bat
    su
    Superuser.apk
    zergRush

7. Run the following command in a new cmd window. This will ensure you have a .android directory on your computer for those who don't have android sdk installed (you do NOT need the sdk installed):
    Code:
    IF NOT EXIST %USERPROFILE%\.android md %USERPROFILE%\.android

8. Run "runmefirst.bat" and follow the instructions.

9a. When the batch file opens the device manager, If you don't see a broken device icon next to "NOOK Tablet" then you may have some other generic drivers taking over. Not sure how to remove them so you will have to move to another PC that has never had a tablet hooked up and start over.

9b. If you do see NOOK Tablet with a broken device icon.. then right click and choose "update driver". Choose "Let me specify where the driver is" and browse to the c:\ntroot\usbdriver folder and hit ok. It should install and you can click "OK" to the warning about unsigned drivers.

10. Run "NookandZergy.bat" and follow the instructions

Now you should have root.

I invite the OP to use these instructions in the first post.
    *cough* http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15069134/add-ons.zip *cough* Put that into your android sdk directory and you have the drivers. :)