Sony Xperia S release date confirmed (5 March 2012)

Search This thread

batman_112

Nov 9, 2010
Muscat
According to TechRadar UK:

Sony Xperia S release date confirmed

Mobile phones News
By John McCann

UK release date and price confirmed

The Sony Xperia S will be released on 5 March and will be priced at £429.99 (inc VAT) SIM-free.

After several outings over the past couple of months the Xperia S was finally released at CES 2012, under the "Sony" banner, however the handset on display clearly had Sony Ericsson splashed across the front.

As already announced, O2 and Three will be carrying the handset and Phones4U will offer the exclusive white version. T-Mobile and Orange have now jumped on the Xperia S band wagon, but it doesn't look like Vodafone is planning to range it.
Worth the hype?

The Xperia S certainly has some impressive stats, boasting a 4.3-inch LCD HD touchscreen, 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 12MP camera and 720p video recording.

However, with several quad-core phones mooted for release this year, will enough people be drawn in to Sony's offering or have they left it to late to join the dual-core party?

We think the Xperia S is a decent phone with strong features, but Sony may have just missed the boat this time. Are you tempted?

Last edited:

Flo95

Oct 31, 2010
I'm not really tempted atm, but that might change :D
There are already the same phones out, nothing new, just another 2.3 dualcore phone.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Ambroos

Aug 11, 2010
Dublin / Belgium
I'm not really tempted atm, but that might change :D
There are already the same phones out, nothing new, just another 2.3 dualcore phone.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
Sony Ericsson never did anything new in terms of hardware. What they excelled in is software quality and hardware design. And it sure looks like Sony did something great with the software this time, and the Xperia S (like all other Xperia phones) really does look like.no.other ^^

soldiers33

Nov 28, 2009
well im definitly tempted and Im surprised its so cheap. Will probably get this a couple months after release. Sony Arc was around £600 on release this is twice as good and almost half price.

batman_112

Nov 9, 2010
Muscat
well im definitly tempted and Im surprised its so cheap. Will probably get this a couple months after release. Sony Arc was around £600 on release this is twice as good and almost half price.

may be because no more ericsson so they can reduce the cost.:D

Well, I think if you live outside of the EU you do not have to pay VAT. So that brings the price down to GBP 389 (approximately $600) which is what I paid for the Arc on SonyStyle USA.

sl8125

Mar 30, 2006
I am in. This should be my next phone. Looking forward for the release

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

batman_112

Nov 9, 2010
Muscat
JAPANESE PHONE MAKER Sony's first phone without the Ericsson name will arrive on 30 January in the UK.
Source: The Inquirer (http://s.tt/15gEt)

The article also states:

We're a little sceptical about this, as the phone was just announced at the consumer electronics show (CES) in Las Vegas only last week. In our experience Play has changed the release dates for smartphones.

I would highly doubt that it would be released before March. Japan will receive it next month.

superlimau

Nov 7, 2009
What stand out from the rest will be the pixel density and access to PlayStation store for music and videos. Dual core or quad core, if the OS/apps doesn't utilize, its redunance.

Sent from my LT15i

batman_112

Nov 9, 2010
Muscat
Actually it won't. Newer chips require less power than older chips regardless of cores

Oh, that's really good to know. I did not know that so, thanks! :)

However, my point still stands, if ICS 4.0 can not take advantage of the extra chips then, what is the use? Also, people might say "Well, it's for future use". But, do we know for a fact that the next Android version will support quad cores? IMHO, the lifespan of a smartphone is 24 months. After that, it becomes obsolete.

Diffleks

Dec 23, 2011

ndrs

Jan 27, 2012
i'm really looking forward to this phone.
i especially like the design. it's pretty clean.

fajarep

Jan 16, 2010
Jakarta
is really good phone..., i'm really want it...., please make unlocked bootloader as default...., so we can make xperia S more powerfull

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After several HTC and the worst dual core phone LG O2X happy to say goodbye to that one...

Yep this is going to be the next one an impressive phone and display for a remarkable low price here in the Netherlands :)

Quad core phones I find it all rather funny, first let the O/S run a dual core phone at full speed first lol just marketing and hype...
    I saw the video of the Xperia s boot just a moment ago but now the link is malformed apparently lol
    But considering that SE isn't SE anymore, the boot animation looked nice and simple. Would like to have it on my arc ASAP

I'd love to see the Xperia s when it launches here in Canada. Won't be buying it though because I bought my Xperia arc in December lol. I'll just use themes to give myself the Xperia s look and feel on my arc

EDIT

I found the boot animation on YouTube but since I can't put links because I'm a noob

Search up Xperia S boot speed

Sent from my LT15a using XDA App

Here is the link on your behalf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbb8jik6Q84 :)
    I pre ordered this phone for 3649 DKK (416£ or 490€) and will receive it march 6.

I've been realy happy with my Arc so far. It's so stable and i have battery time on 3 days now. But the show must go on. Too bad the xperia S dosn't come with qaud core. But atleast it's a 1,5 dual core.

My concern is: How can i copy my userdata from my rooted arc to the xperia S. So i don't have to start all over in all my games. I mean i spent alot of time completing all thoose levels. :S

Is there a backup program or something to use. On iphone it's pretty simple as far as i know you sync your userdata with your pc. So if your get a new phone or update the OS. You just sync it again. Pretty easy and simple. As far as i know there is no such thing for android yet. You can back up your apps. But all what it does is download the apps again. Userdata is not saved anywhere.

So what to do?
    I pre ordered this phone for 3649 DKK (416£ or 490€) and will receive it march 6.

I've been realy happy with my Arc so far. It's so stable and i have battery time on 3 days now. But the show must go on. Too bad the xperia S dosn't come with qaud core. But atleast it's a 1,5 dual core.

My concern is: How can i copy my userdata from my rooted arc to the xperia S. So i don't have to start all over in all my games. I mean i spent alot of time completing all thoose levels. :S

Is there a backup program or something to use. On iphone it's pretty simple as far as i know you sync your userdata with your pc. So if your get a new phone or update the OS. You just sync it again. Pretty easy and simple. As far as i know there is no such thing for android yet. You can back up your apps. But all what it does is download the apps again. Userdata is not saved anywhere.

So what to do?

Do a copy of everything in Titanium Backup, copy TB folder from SD to PC, when you get a phone copy folder from PC to internal memory of Xperia S, install Titanium Backup and restore apps and games. I was thinking about doing such thing, unless I am wrong, so please correct me.
    Although I would not restore everything. Remember it is completely different device and everything may not be working correctly. I will stick to games and "outside" major apps, thats all. All system apps I would re-configure again.
    1. So when i get it do i then need root on the xperia s to be able to restore the apps from titanium backup?

2. To restore apps. Do i then need to download the apps from market first and then restore? Or will titanium backup restore the full app with all the userdata?

1. Titanium Backup to work properly requires root, so you will have to wait. Unless you use i.e. My Backup pro, same procedure I think. I always use both, just in case. :)

2. No, you can just retore your backups, no need to download it again. BUT... you might have to do it in case, when something is not working properly (Forced closes), because of different device.