[ROM][03.23.13] CyanogenMod 10 on HTC DNA; Audio WIP)

Search This thread

Picolini

Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix
Hoping for some tips here.

I did a TRWP factory reset, dalvik wipe, multiple cache wipes then did a restore of a prior (Genome ROM) restore I had. Selected reboot, it showed the HTC screen then the screen went blank and only had the backlight on. Holding the power button presented me with the back/home/recent buttons flashing. After pressing VOL up and down a bajillion times it finally rebooted. I got it into fastboot and flashed the stock dlx boot.img which appeared to go well. Rebooted, this time it just stuck at the HTC logo.Holding power gives me the same back/home/recent light flashing, I have to keep pressing vol + and - over and over and it'll eventually reboot.

So I went back into TWRP and restored to the CM10 backup I made from when 4G first worked (but no calling), then did a wipe and flash of the newest ROM, then booted into fastboot, did an install of the latest boot.img for this CM10 ROM (the boot.img file in the zip) and rebooted... still stuck at the HTC logo! Any help?

jamiethemorris

Jan 7, 2013
Re: [ROM][03.04.13] CyanogenMod 10 on HTC DNA; 3G/4G Data, SMS/MMS, WIFI, Calls(-audi

Which version of twrp are you on? I had similar issues a few versions back. Usually it was solved by erasing system, dalvik, cache, and factory reset 3-4 times each, then installing the ROM you want fresh, then erasing again and restoring a backup and flashing the boot image. For what it's worth, I was using the cubed kernel. After updating twrp, no more issues. I also noticed on this phone sometimes it will take FOREVER to boot after restoring. Like seriously almost 10 minutes. How long did you wait and have you tried different kernels?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Picolini

Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix
The last attempt I waited about 5 minutes, I could wait longer but just worried about letting the battery draining completely because the HTC screen is basically all white and on full brightness.

I'll try the wiping like crazy then reflashing.

I'm not 100% familiar with flashing just a kernal... how would I go about that, and any suggestions for kernals to go with this ROM?

edit: 10 minutes in after a ton of wipes and a flash followed by wipes... nothing :/ At some point it looks like the the screen brightness went down, but no other response.

Last edited:

jamiethemorris

Jan 7, 2013
Re: [ROM][03.04.13] CyanogenMod 10 on HTC DNA; 3G/4G Data, SMS/MMS, WIFI, Calls(-audi

You flash the kernel just like you would the stock one, through fast boot. The only difference is it will usually come with some modules that need to be flashed in recovery for wifi and some other things to work. Oh and if you have s-off, some of the kernels have been updated to be flashable. For non flashable kernels the zip will have the boot.IMG and the flashable modules.

I would try what you were doing before first, except wipe like crazy and maybe wait a bit longer. Or try a fresh install like i said and then restore. If that still doesn't work, try a different kernel. I don't know why you would have to do that, but its worth a try right?

Also, remember you can charge your battery while in twrp. You just have to start it up with the charger plugged in and then you should see a + next to the battery percentage. Thank god for that, it makes flashing much less stressful.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Sorry, just saw your edit. Try installing fresh, flashing the kernel, and then wiping and restoring. Also I'd you are stating to run low on battery, don't cut it to close, let it charge in twrp for a while.

BTW, the dimming of the screen without any other response definitely sounds like a kernel related symptom, at least in my experience. Does your ROM use the stock kernel? If not make sure you are flashing the one included in the ROMs thread.

Last edited:

Picolini

Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix
You flash the kernel just like you would the stock one, through fast boot. The only difference is it will usually come with some modules that need to be flashed in recovery for wifi and some other things to work. Oh and if you have s-off, some of the kernels have been updated to be flashable. For non flashable kernels the zip will have the boot.IMG and the flashable modules.

I would try what you were doing before first, except wipe like crazy and maybe wait a bit longer. Or try a fresh install like i said and then restore. If that still doesn't work, try a different kernel. I don't know why you would have to do that, but its worth a try right?

Also, remember you can charge your battery while in twrp. You just have to start it up with the charger plugged in and then you should see a + next to the battery percentage. Thank god for that, it makes flashing much less stressful.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Sorry, just saw your edit. Try installing fresh, flashing the kernel, and then wiping and restoring. Also I'd you are stating to run low on battery, don't cut it to close, let it charge in twrp for a while.

BTW, the dimming of the screen without any other response definitely sounds like a kernel related symptom, at least in my experience. Does your ROM use the stock kernel? If not make sure you are flashing the one included in the ROMs thread.

I don't have S-Off, so going by what you said then I should be on the stock kernel still, right? At this point I'd like to just get back to this latest CM10 ROM from this thread, I'm assuming it'd be easier.

Glad to know I can charge in TWRP. I currently have like 50% but always a worry when issues with flashing.

munchy_cool

Apr 6, 2008
void (0)

Flash boot.img from fastboot mode , go to recovery , wipe data+cache , wipe dalvik, flash the cm10 zip and reboot

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Picolini

Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix
Flash boot.img from fastboot mode , go to recovery , wipe data+cache , wipe dalvik, flash the cm10 zip and reboot

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Flashed the boot.img first, attempted to reboot into recovery and the phone started up normally. I'll take it!

Soooo... any ideas on how to get back to a regular Sense ROM? I need audio and camera working for a bit.

munchy_cool

Apr 6, 2008
void (0)
Soooo... any ideas on how to get back to a regular Sense ROM? I need audio and camera working for a bit.

same process as before, flash the boot.img of the rom you want to move to, once flashed the boot.img, go to recovery and do all the necessary wipes and then flash your rom zip.

eidt- just to be safe do a wipe dalvik and fix permissions after the new rom zip has been flashed and then reboot.

Hope it works.

Picolini

Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix
Thanks for the info. I now have a good understanding of how the boot.img works, makes sense now.
However, can't seem to be able to transfer any damn zip to the phone. Selecting USB storage mode gives no results, it either just sits there loading then pops back up with the USB storage mode button, or immediately goes back to that button.
Can't push over ADB.

:eek:

damagickid

Nov 4, 2009
when you plug your phone in the usb. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.

Then you need to open up terminal and direct it to where ever you have adb on you computer.

Then type adb devices just to see if it is seeing your device.

Then type adb push C:/your path/ /sdcard/path/

usopen

Jun 19, 2010
Thanks for the info. I now have a good understanding of how the boot.img works, makes sense now.
However, can't seem to be able to transfer any damn zip to the phone. Selecting USB storage mode gives no results, it either just sits there loading then pops back up with the USB storage mode button, or immediately goes back to that button.
Can't push over ADB.

:eek:

Try ADB sideload in recovery

jamesbra

Oct 2, 2010
ADB won't see my device, whether it's in the OS, in fastboot, or in the recovery during ADB sideload. :rolleyes:
You should go to the rooting thread and get your adb drivers situated. I know this is probably a different solution altogether but when my main comp (windows 8 laptop) won't see my tethered phone that is booted into android I use wireless adb with never a problem. Magic I believe.

Picolini

Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix
same process as before, flash the boot.img of the rom you want to move to, once flashed the boot.img, go to recovery and do all the necessary wipes and then flash your rom zip.

eidt- just to be safe do a wipe dalvik and fix permissions after the new rom zip has been flashed and then reboot.

Hope it works.

You rock munchy! Those steps worked perfectly. :)
Hopefully by the time I'm ready to come back to this CM build it has working audio and camera.

Reactions: munchy_cool

Imacellist

Oct 20, 2011
Modesto, CA
If ADB does not see your device, disable usb debugging for about 30 seconds, and re-enable it and check again. An easy way to check is to type "adb devices" under the directory with your adb files. Repeat until it finds your device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

logo-cid.png

[ Unofficial CyanogenMod 10 Build on HTC DNA ]
    git @ https://github.com/drewx2/android/ (Updated to download all necessary repos)

..CURRENT BUILD NOTES/HISTORY..

03.24.13: CM10 doesn't include support for csd-client enabled phones (which we need). I have built a work around for it to utilize our csd-client lib; hopefully it brings audio one step closer.

My audio changes can be found at a separate git repo @ https://github.com/drewx2/android_hardware_qcom

03.23.13: Current Audio Status

I have some time to look at things, so here just getting started and thought I would post the first strace for those interested. Looks promising and not too difficult.
    Code:
    writev(4, [{"\4", 1}, {"AudioHardwareALSA\0", 18}, {"ucm instance opened: 1082445752\0", 32}], 3) = 51
    writev(4, [{"\6", 1}, {"AudioFlinger\0", 13}, {"int android::load_audio_interfac"..., 103}], 3) = 117
    writev(4, [{"\4", 1}, {"AudioFlinger\0", 13}, {"loadHwModule() error -22 loading"..., 49}], 3) = 63
    writev(4, [{"\5", 1}, {"AudioPolicyManagerBase\0", 23}, {"could not open HW module primary"..., 33}], 3) = 57
    writev(4, [{"\6", 1}, {"AudioPolicyManagerBase\0", 23}, {"Not output found for attached de"..., 47}], 3) = 71
    writev(4, [{"\6", 1}, {"AudioPolicyManagerBase\0", 23}, {"Failed to open primary output\0", 30}], 3) = 54
    writev(4, [{"\6", 1}, {"AudioPolicyManagerBase\0", 23}, {"getDeviceForStrategy() speaker d"..., 74}], 3) = 98
    clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {205, 684889413}) = 0
    writev(4, [{"\6", 1}, {"AudioPolicyManagerBase\0", 23}, {"getDeviceForStrategy() speaker d"..., 74}], 3) = 98
    writev(4, [{"\6", 1}, {"AudioPolicyService\0", 19}, {"couldn't init_check the audio po"..., 54}], 3) = 74
    ioctl(3, 0xc0186201, 0xbe961a28)        = 0

Complete strace available here: http://bit.ly/Xx3M0v

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There won't be any builds posted until one of the "not working" items has been fixed. I mostly likely will focus on audio this weekend.

If you have something meaningful to share, please visit http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=CM10DNA

03.04.13 @ 03:29AM: Wifi *now* really working

03.04.13 @ 03:29AM: Wifi now working.

Enable 3 dot menu: Settings -> Hardware keys -> Show action overflow [check]

Working:
    Radio/RIL (no sound, so can't hear yet), SMS / MMS, 3G / 4G Data, Display, Orientation, Sensors, Lights, NFC, Torch, GPS (not tested), Wifi

Not working:
    Camera, Audio, Bluetooth

To Do list
    I plan to do bionic/kernel optimizations once all features working.

..INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS..
    If you do not have S-OFF, you need to unzip the file and flash the boot.img inside via fastboot.

Install Instructions:
    1) Download http://bit.ly/W0RAY8
    2) Reboot to recovery of your choosing; wipe system/data/dalvik-cache/cache.
    3) Install downloaded zip
    4) Reboot.
    5) Enjoy.

Google Apps @ http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip

.SPECIAL THANKS FOR DONATING.
    RuinedByMTV, drmp3z
    kronikings, danahern, karn101, Majik Mushroomz, Matt P., Matt B., pio_masaki, Droidika, Wheelchairmitch, MrIcky, liquidhaste, jamiethemorris, rainabba

.SPECIAL THANKS.
    Flyhalf205, x3demond3x[debugging]
    dsb9938 [cmdline boot option]
    x3demond3x [egl fix]
    Jarocks [resized bootanimation/debugging], pio_masaki [debugging],

jcase [unlock], dees_troy [twrp], beaups, jcase, Dr_Drache, dsb9938 [S-OFF]
    .... and of course the CyanogenMod team and those who laid the foundation for the DNA....

..WANT TO HELP? HERE ARE SOME DEBUGGING TIPS..
    1) Flash boot.img
    2) On cmdline do "adb logcat"

If you're ever in the mood to donate, don't forget about the others that have helped advance the HTC DNA to new levels (e.g. dsb9938, jcase, Dr_Drache, beaups, CM team, or XDA for bringing us all together!). Although, I may be working on CM and it may seem like a completely different project, in many ways we all rely on each other to help make the DNA better. :)
    4g data working
    Radio is now completely working. I just made my first call to myself :)
    Wifi fixed. Will upload zip shortly after I figure out which one of my builds fixed it...

Do I have to fix pretty much everything? lol...what happened with all the other devs out there?

odKm3ST.jpg
    Zip is up with complete working radio. Test away.