[how to] remove your "tampered" banner

Search This thread

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
this thread is for m7. it will not work on m8. please check the general section of your device forums if you do NOT have m7

if you have recently s-off'ed using a java card,or some other exploit that did not remove your tampered banner from the bootloader screen,then this thread is for you.

you do NOT need to downgrade your hboot. this simple adb command works without any scary hboot downgrades.

*you must be s off.
*you must have superuser installed(see this thread if you need help installing superuser)

read this:
this will not work if your s on

the usual disclaimers:
i have tested this my my m7_ul t mobile variant,but use this info at your own risk. if it melts your phone into a little pile of aluminum goo,its not my fault.

credits
-beaups for giving me the echo comand,so yall didnt need to dump,edit with a hex editor,and copy back
-andybones for testing it on m7_wlv

IF you are an advanced user with adb/fastboot set up and some basic knowlede of the cmd window,you can skip to #2
1)set up adb

-download this file
-install drivers: if you have htc sync installed,you should allready have drivers. if not,you can install htc sync,or install these modified htc drivers from revolutionary (driver mirror)
-unzip your miniadb_v1031.zip file. this is native funtionality in windows 7. you otherwise may need a utility such as "7-zip" to extract,or unzip it. place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive on your PC. root means the top level,not inside any folders. so just copy and paste,or drag and drop the folder onto C with everything else that is there. you may want to rename it to "miniadb_m7" since youll be putting some device specific files in here.
-open a command window. on windows 7,click the start bubble in the lower left and type "command" in the search box. xp i believe is similar or the same. doing this should open a small black command window.
-change to your miniadb_m7 directory. type the following at the prompt in your cmd window:

cd c:\miniadb_m7

your command promt should change to "c:miniadb_m7>" provided you: 1)unzipped the miniadb_v1031 zip file,and 2)put the folder on your c drive,and 3)entered the name of the folder correctly ("miniadb_m7" in this case)

-now make sure usb debugging is checked in developer options(you will need to turn it on first),and plug your phone into your PC with a usb cable
-make sure your phone is being recognized- type:

adb devices

if your drivers are installed correctly,this should return your phones serial number. you should hear the "found device" noises when you plug your phone in. if it starts installing drivers,wait for it to finish before typing the adb devices command.

if you get your serial number back,then enter this command:
adb reboot bootloader

this should take your phone to the "fastboot" screen,wich is white with colored letters. this is one mode of your bootloaders interactive modes. at the top youll see fastboot devices as confirmation youre in fastboot.

now enter:
fastboot devices
again,this should return your phones serial number. you should hear the "found device" noises when you plug your phone in. if it starts installing drivers,wait for it to finish before typing the adb devices command.

if you get your serial number back,you can enter the following to boot back to the phones OS:
fastboot reboot

and now,youve installed adb/fastboot and tested youre phones drivers. if at either spot,you have trouble and dont get your serial number back,there is some sort of connection issue. use these steps to troubleshoot:
troubleshooting connectivity issues:
-try a reboot of the PC
-try different usb cables and ports
-dont use a usb hub
-dont use usb 3.0
-make sure nothing capable of comunicating with the phone is enabled and running. htc sync,pdanet,easy tether,and even itunes have all been known to cause issues.
-windows 8 has been known to have issues. try a windows 7 or older machine

failing the above,
-i use these drivers for fastboot and adb(donwload and run as admin): http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (mirror)

failing that,try manually updating the drivers in the following manner:
-put the phone in fastboot mode(select fastboot from the hboot menu)
-open device manager on the PC
-plug in phone,watch for it to pop up in device manager.
-update drivers with device manager,pointing the wizard to the extracted
driver download folder from above

note that you can check the connectivity of the phone,and make sure drivers are working by in the following manner:
-open cmd window. change to directory containing adb/fastboot utilities

-adb with the phone in the booted OS,usb debug enabled,enter:
adb devices in a cmd window

-fastboot with phone in fastboot,enter:
fastboot devices in cmd window

in either case,a properly connected phone with working drivers installed should report back the phones serial number.

this process,in your cmd window,should look something like this:
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott>[COLOR="red"]cd c:\miniadb_m7[/COLOR]

c:\miniadb_m7>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
FAxxxxxxxxxx    device

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot devices[/COLOR]
FAxxxxxxxxxx    fastboot

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot reboot[/COLOR]
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.037s

c:\miniadb_m7>

2)reset your "tampered flag"

enter the following:

adb devices

adb shell

su (if needed to get a # prompt)

echo -ne '\x00' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 bs=1 seek=4265988
(i would very strongly recomend you copy/paste this)

exit
(exit a second time if you need to to get back to a normal > prompt)

adb reboot bootloader

verify tamered is gone :)

other useful threads:
how to lock/unlock your bootloader without htcdev(s-off required)

if this does not work for you
*first reread this thread in its entirety. make sure you have met the prerequisites,and double check your code and make sure you have not forgotten a step,or screwed something up trying to type it (especially if using a terminal emulator),and check that you have not gotten any errors.

if youre still confident you did things correctly,you need to PM me:
1)the results of: fastboot getvar all
2)a link to an uploaded p7.

you get fastboot getvar all by:
-place phone in fastboot
-enter in fastboot getvar all right click,click mark,highlight in white,hit enter or right click to copy

you dump p7 by:

adb shell

su (if needed to get a #)

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p7

transfer the file on internal storage to your pc and upload it

im not trying to be a ****,but its not helpful to post "didnt work" if you screwed something up,or if your not willing to help find a solution. especially if others have found it to work on their same variant.

important:
from now on,i will need a copy of your cmd window as well if we want to get to the bottom of whats happening. some folks seem to be simply writing extra bytes,wich is screwing up the flag location. please make sure this shows an entire session,not just a last part where it looks correct. we cant figure it out if you only show part of what you did.

Last edited:

zaphodbeeb

Mar 29, 2011
Betelgeuse
xformit.co.uk
it is my understanding that revone does not work on hboots greater than 1.44,so you need to downgrade hboot to have that option.

use whatever means you wish,this is another way to skin the cat.

I can use revone to do this also on 1.54 without a problem. This method is much easier however, and leaves no tracks. Any chance of a script to do this. More Kudos 2 u.

Last edited:

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
It should, since the lock state is also part of the misc partition. it is just a different offset.

Can someone who has unlocked or relocked state provide me with a dump of mmcblk0p7 ?

The lock flag is in p3, not p7. Again, there is a thread for that already

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk

Reactions: DDdude

killer18

Oct 15, 2013
ok i am back now after s-off my phone

and i do every thing but the tampered banner is still there !!

what the problem ?

:
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\alhomoud>cd c:\miniadb_m7

List of devices attached
FAXXXXXXXXXXXXXX device

c:\miniadb_m7>adb reboot bootloader

c:\miniadb_m7>fastboot devices
FAXXXXXXXXXXXXX fastboot

c:\miniadb_m7>fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.040s

Last edited:

lukode

Jan 14, 2009
Thank you. i was removed the tampered. HBOOT 1.54. Easy and fast. Thanks also for beaups!!

MrKudinGTO

May 17, 2012
ok i am back now after s-off my phone

and i do every thing but the tampered banner is still there !!

what the problem ?

:

Errr... Because you haven't execute the command to reset it yet? Read the first post carefully.

All you've done there is just checking connected device via fastboot command then reboot your phone, not resetting the tempered flag.

EDIT: quoted the first post.

enter the following:

adb devices

adb shell

exit

adb reboot bootloader

Sent via HTC One™ using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty1223

zach181

Jun 4, 2007
I did the S OFF and was curious.

On the boot screen is some red writing about it being a development release etc etc. Is this for that also?

Thanks for any help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this thread is for m7. it will not work on m8. please check the general section of your device forums if you do NOT have m7

if you have recently s-off'ed using a java card,or some other exploit that did not remove your tampered banner from the bootloader screen,then this thread is for you.

you do NOT need to downgrade your hboot. this simple adb command works without any scary hboot downgrades.

*you must be s off.
    *you must have superuser installed(see this thread if you need help installing superuser)

read this:
    this will not work if your s on

the usual disclaimers:
    i have tested this my my m7_ul t mobile variant,but use this info at your own risk. if it melts your phone into a little pile of aluminum goo,its not my fault.

credits
    -beaups for giving me the echo comand,so yall didnt need to dump,edit with a hex editor,and copy back
    -andybones for testing it on m7_wlv

IF you are an advanced user with adb/fastboot set up and some basic knowlede of the cmd window,you can skip to #2
    1)set up adb

-download this file
    -install drivers: if you have htc sync installed,you should allready have drivers. if not,you can install htc sync,or install these modified htc drivers from revolutionary (driver mirror)
    -unzip your miniadb_v1031.zip file. this is native funtionality in windows 7. you otherwise may need a utility such as "7-zip" to extract,or unzip it. place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive on your PC. root means the top level,not inside any folders. so just copy and paste,or drag and drop the folder onto C with everything else that is there. you may want to rename it to "miniadb_m7" since youll be putting some device specific files in here.
    -open a command window. on windows 7,click the start bubble in the lower left and type "command" in the search box. xp i believe is similar or the same. doing this should open a small black command window.
    -change to your miniadb_m7 directory. type the following at the prompt in your cmd window:

cd c:\miniadb_m7

your command promt should change to "c:miniadb_m7>" provided you: 1)unzipped the miniadb_v1031 zip file,and 2)put the folder on your c drive,and 3)entered the name of the folder correctly ("miniadb_m7" in this case)

-now make sure usb debugging is checked in developer options(you will need to turn it on first),and plug your phone into your PC with a usb cable
    -make sure your phone is being recognized- type:

adb devices

if your drivers are installed correctly,this should return your phones serial number. you should hear the "found device" noises when you plug your phone in. if it starts installing drivers,wait for it to finish before typing the adb devices command.

if you get your serial number back,then enter this command:
    adb reboot bootloader

this should take your phone to the "fastboot" screen,wich is white with colored letters. this is one mode of your bootloaders interactive modes. at the top youll see fastboot devices as confirmation youre in fastboot.

now enter:
    fastboot devices
    again,this should return your phones serial number. you should hear the "found device" noises when you plug your phone in. if it starts installing drivers,wait for it to finish before typing the adb devices command.

if you get your serial number back,you can enter the following to boot back to the phones OS:
    fastboot reboot

and now,youve installed adb/fastboot and tested youre phones drivers. if at either spot,you have trouble and dont get your serial number back,there is some sort of connection issue. use these steps to troubleshoot:
    troubleshooting connectivity issues:
    -try a reboot of the PC
    -try different usb cables and ports
    -dont use a usb hub
    -dont use usb 3.0
    -make sure nothing capable of comunicating with the phone is enabled and running. htc sync,pdanet,easy tether,and even itunes have all been known to cause issues.
    -windows 8 has been known to have issues. try a windows 7 or older machine

failing the above,
    -i use these drivers for fastboot and adb(donwload and run as admin): http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (mirror)

failing that,try manually updating the drivers in the following manner:
    -put the phone in fastboot mode(select fastboot from the hboot menu)
    -open device manager on the PC
    -plug in phone,watch for it to pop up in device manager.
    -update drivers with device manager,pointing the wizard to the extracted
    driver download folder from above

note that you can check the connectivity of the phone,and make sure drivers are working by in the following manner:
    -open cmd window. change to directory containing adb/fastboot utilities

-adb with the phone in the booted OS,usb debug enabled,enter:
    adb devices in a cmd window

-fastboot with phone in fastboot,enter:
    fastboot devices in cmd window

in either case,a properly connected phone with working drivers installed should report back the phones serial number.

this process,in your cmd window,should look something like this:
    Code:
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott>[COLOR="red"]cd c:\miniadb_m7[/COLOR]

List of devices attached
    FAxxxxxxxxxx    device

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot devices[/COLOR]
    FAxxxxxxxxxx    fastboot

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot reboot[/COLOR]
    rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.037s

enter the following:

adb devices

adb shell

exit

adb reboot bootloader

other useful threads:
    how to lock/unlock your bootloader without htcdev(s-off required)

if this does not work for you
    *first reread this thread in its entirety. make sure you have met the prerequisites,and double check your code and make sure you have not forgotten a step,or screwed something up trying to type it (especially if using a terminal emulator),and check that you have not gotten any errors.

if youre still confident you did things correctly,you need to PM me:
    1)the results of: fastboot getvar all
    2)a link to an uploaded p7.

you get fastboot getvar all by:
    -place phone in fastboot
    -enter in fastboot getvar all right click,click mark,highlight in white,hit enter or right click to copy

you dump p7 by:

adb shell

su (if needed to get a #)

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p7

transfer the file on internal storage to your pc and upload it

im not trying to be a ****,but its not helpful to post "didnt work" if you screwed something up,or if your not willing to help find a solution. especially if others have found it to work on their same variant.

important:
    from now on,i will need a copy of your cmd window as well if we want to get to the bottom of whats happening. some folks seem to be simply writing extra bytes,wich is screwing up the flag location. please make sure this shows an entire session,not just a last part where it looks correct. we cant figure it out if you only show part of what you did.
    or you can use revone

it is my understanding that revone does not work on hboots greater than 1.44,so you need to downgrade hboot to have that option.

use whatever means you wish,this is another way to skin the cat.
    This worked perfectly for me, thanks!

I actually ran the command through Terminal Emulator directly on my device, no errors, it worked. I checked my bootloader, completely removed the Tampered.

1. Open Terminal Emulator
    2. Su
    3. Type the commandline that removes the flag
    BOOM - good to go.

Thanks again!

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Unlock of bootloader makes tampered to appear.