[Q] Mirrorlink, Car app with Alpine ICS. NO Audio! (Drivelink)

Search This thread

bda714

Jan 12, 2014
test with Samsung app;

So I did some more playing around with the app that you posted a link to. I actually got the app to work in mirror mode, like I had told you before, when you connect a SIII Galaxy to the stereo about 3 or 4 diffrent apps appear on the stereo screen, one is called car mode, one is mirror mode, then navigation mode. (Those names might not be accurate but something like that) I think there may have been one more but it has been a long time. With my M8 connected, the only one that showed up was car mode. I believe the difference in mirrormode is that it is not considered "driving safe". I am assuming this because the way that it finally started working was when I "engaged the parking brake" (flipped the switch to bypass it). I did have to uninstall the HTC Car app also to get it to work, however when it rebooted the HTC Car app was back and the Drivelink app still worked. This time the Car app had a apk shortcut in the app tray and it did not before. Well, all this and still everything I did still never resulted in a working sound connection. Have you looked into the "tm server" apk? I believe it had something to do with the Drivellink app functioning properly. If you need any more info please let me know. Thank you for all your help.

jskup

Sep 30, 2008
Well the problem with trying a third party MirrorLink app is that I don't believe one was ever made, because each vendor was putting their own special sauce into the application to make it work. That's why when getting Samsung DrinkLink and Nokia's Car Mode with Mirrorlink, you always went to the individual vendor's app store rather than Google Play in general. This may have changed more recently, but that's how it was in the days of the Galaxy S3 generation.

Device I used at that time was a Sony XAV-601BT

I haven't fooled with Sony's specific MirrorLink implementation yet. They were a little bit later to the party than Samsung and Nokia.

darthspork

Aug 11, 2014
Same Problem

I too have just purchased the M8 and own the ICS-X7 and as well I am having the same problem , I see that some posts are a couple months old and still no response from HTC or even an update.

has someone managed to get this to work ?

bda714

Jan 12, 2014
Good news!! Finally!!

So this is the latest on this problem and I'm sure you all have already heard, if anyone has even continued to pursue it, but I figured since no one had put it up yet and that there is still recent posts that I would take the liberty. Before you read this, just want to say thanks to everyone for the effort and work on this problem, even some of those whose problem it wasn't, yet they still put in work. Thank you community!!
Aug 11, 2014, 5:31 AM

HTC and the Car Connectivity Consortium today announced that a forthcoming software update will make the One (M8) MirrorLink compatible. MirrorLink is a connectivity tool for pairing smartphones and cars. It works across smartphone platforms and car manufacturers, and, according to the CCC, is the only vendor-neutral standard available. With MirrorLink aboard, the One (M8) will be able to connect to select in-car infotainment systems,m allowing drivers to more safely access their phone's content when behind the wheel. It's unclear how many cars currently support MirrorLink, but the CCC hopes with HTC's support more will choose to support it. Apple and Google both recently announced their own connectivity solutions for cars, which are expected to appear in iOS 8 and Android Release L, respectively. HTC said it will add MirrorLink support to mode devices down the road.
. :fingers-crossed::good:
PDF >>And here is more on that.

Reactions: cntryby429

pedderd

Oct 26, 2012
Hertford
So this is the latest on this problem and I'm sure you all have already heard, if anyone has even continued to pursue it, but I figured since no one had put it up yet and that there is still recent posts that I would take the liberty. Before you read this, just want to say thanks to everyone for the effort and work on this problem, even some of those whose problem it wasn't, yet they still put in work. Thank you community!!

Do you have your car app updated then ?

bda714

Jan 12, 2014
Do you have your car app updated then ?
No, as I understand it, the update will be coming as an ota update via the service provider. So it is up to each provider individually to release their proprietary update and make it happen. I haven't found any word on any of them pushing a packet as of yet. When the first area gets it I would imagine that someone will post it though and we will be able to flash it ourselves just like any other ota, rather than waiting for it to make its way around the globe.

ericksonline

Aug 30, 2014
Pittsburgh
Hello all, I just read through the posts here and wanted to share my experiences so far with Mirrorlink and my HTC One M8. My setup is a little different. I actually have an AT&T phone that is just a little over a month old.
A couple of weeks ago, I bought a new 2014 Honda Civic EX that has the Display Audio unit in it. At the time, I had no expectations of it working with my phone at all. I did read that the Display Audio unit had some support for the iPhone. As I researched that a bit, I was really interested in the features that it added. So, I started to look to see if there was any support or plans to support Android. Everything that I read said that Honda would not be doing anything for the 2014 model to support android. That was a bit frustrating because I don't plan to buy another new car for a long time and the features looked really useful. I did see that it supported "Mirrorlink" though.
Out of curiosity, I plugged by phone into the USB port in the car, and a new "app" was available in the Display Audio unit. It was simply called "Car" and had a steering wheel icon. I selected that and it started the HTC Car app on my phone and replicated it to my screen! Fantastic!
When I put the car into drive, most of the apps available within the HTC Car app would disable. I think the only things that remained enabled was Navigation and Music. My sound worked, but would get choppy at times. That was annoying, but not really a problem because of the features that it added.
Last week, AT&T had a new OTA update available and I proceeded to install it. It updated to 4.4.3 android (instead of 4.4.2) and it also updated HTC SDK API from 6.17 to 6.25. The next time I plugged my phone into the car, there were a couple more apps available - Car, Speak, and Music. This was very cool until I put my car into drive. Now, the HTC Car app would become disabled as soon as I was in drive. This meant that ALL replication to the screen would be replaced with a message saying "For safety purposes, this application is not available while driving".

I've spent the time since then trying to learn more about mirrorlink, HTC and Android. I unlocked my phone, rooted it and made it S-OFF. Unlocking my phone basically disabled Mirrorlink. While my phone was unlocked, no apps would be available and I would instead get a message saying: Smartphone not compatible.

Yesterday, I downgraded to the software version that I had prior to the OTA update. I then relocked my bootloader and all is now working how it was. I did discover that the phone needed to be setup with Bluetooth for the Mirrorlink connection to work even though all sound and screen replication seems to be using the USB port.

It really looks to me like HTC has screwed up the Mirrorlink implementation in the 6.25 version of Sense. I'm not sure what version of Sense that Verizon M8's use, but it is worth looking at.

pedderd

Oct 26, 2012
Hertford
I can confirm that Car app on Sense 6, 4.4.3 does work correctly. I am using Insert Coin ROM as my EE UK phone does not have 4.4.3 yet.

All happy now.

:D

TheAngelus

Dec 24, 2011
Wales
I have an unbranded stock 4.3.3 m8 in the uk, i've only just thought about trying to use mirrorlink with my two year old sony xav-601bt head unit and it pretty much works the same as ericksonline.
It mirrors google maps, does mp3's etc in the app. But the maps will freeze for 10 minutes then suddenly come back with a load of glitchy audio directions from the last few minutes. Or it will work fine for ages, or not at all. Its a bit all over the place.
I cant use mirrrorlink, and have the radio on at the same time. Its either mirrorlink OR radio/mp3.
I can either know where i'm going with no entertainment or i can be lost with the radio on.
There is a thread going on from when i had a htc one x to allow full mirroring of any app (really for a galaxy s3 http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/development/mod-drivelink-mirrorlink-mirroring-t1951960) , but i'm not sure it was actually finished from what i've read.. I just hope HTC improve their mirrorlink and car app.

bda714

Jan 12, 2014
**New Update 4.4.3 and all is as it should be!!**

Hello and thank you to everyone who followed, supported, and donated their time to this issue. Since no one has posted yet that has actually had the "experience" per say that I have here it is....
The 4.4.3 update is indeed live in the U.S . And can be found if your carrier has not pushed it yet. The Mirrorlink update DID FIX THE ISSUE WITH THE AUDIO!!!! Everything is working flawlessly except minor issues for me with video mirroring. During any, even moderately fast, screen refreshing the screen gets really choppy and lags a bit. I have not done enough testing or research yet to know if this is an issue with the phone, head unit, or maybe even just need to use a better usb cable. So it could just be something to do with my set up (see original post).
In regards to this gentleman,
When I put the car into drive, most of the apps available within the HTC Car app would disable. I think the only things that remained enabled was Navigation and Music.
The issue here is definitely with your stereo and the safety implementations that the manufacturer of the head unit have put into place. Most manufacturers have either a parking brake or in park kind of lock which is easily by-passable with a switch run to the lead connecting the parking brake or shift lock. But I believe this is illegal so I would never recommend you do this. Our don't get caught doing it at least.
I hope everyone had the same end result as I have had and ultimately is happy with their situation involving the mirrorlink function, it is awesome and I love it!! And forgot to mention the best part about it! That prior to the update , on connection the HTC car app would launch right away, and now with the safety lock on the dis engaged "in park" anyway it is just a straight mirror of your phone, no need for the car app at all which is much better.. any way good luck to all and thanks for following this thread, I imagine it will be closed shortly if anyone is still paying attention from xda. God speed! ;)

cntryby429

Aug 27, 2013
Washington D.C.
Thanks for coming back and giving an update. I've been putting off getting this Alpine head unit for this reason alone.

Also, I don't watch this thread as closely as my speedy reply might imply. Caught it by chance seconds after you posted it.

NOS-Kipson

Nov 28, 2010
Great to hear that.
Can anyone post a new update of working Mirrorlink as a flashable zip maybe? Would appreciate this.
I have M8 mini, hope there is no differences on that app.

KafeURNA

Sep 11, 2012
Prague
MirrorLink app support

Hi.

In a short way: "HTC Car" is an app developed by HTC to support apps via MirrorLink session. I am not familiar with function.
MirrorLink by itself is divided into 1.0 (test purpouses) and 1.1 (latest version, SHOULD be in HeadUnits). 1.1 version support a BASE and a DRIVE mode. The base mode is while parking and the drive mode is while driving (more than 6kph, 3,75mph). Every app MUST support BASE mode and if you want to use it while in motion it SHALL eather support DRIVE mode. It depens on app developer because they MUST passed CCC certification (for BASE and for DRIVE mode).

DEVELOPER => APP => CCC CERTIFICATION (or OEM certification by car manufacturer) => certificate => MirrorLink supported app...

vopacic

Dec 3, 2014
Carrier-free HTC One M8 Android 4.4.4 with Pioneer SPH-DA210 via MirrorLink?

Hi!
I see lot of knowledge here so I'll try my luck. I have Pioneer SPH-DA210 head unit with AppRadio 3 and latest firmware. I also have brand new HTC One M8, unlocked and carrier-free that I bought few days ago. It came with Android 4.4.3 SW and MirrorLink was the prime reason to buy it.

Before I connected it with head unit I pulled down updates from HTC and got very last Android version 4.4.4 with it. When I plug it to the USB port on Pioneer head unit after few seconds phone gives message "MirrorLink connected". It is also establishing bluetooth connection if it wasn't on as well as it suggests to turn data link tethering (optional). So, from the phone perspective all looks great. However, head unit does not see any device connected. It should indicate that MirrorLink device is connected, but it does not.. I tried opening Car app on the phone, before or after connecting with cable, but the outcome is the same. I also installed AppRadio app from Pioneer and tried with it. No outcome and screen mirroring.

Any idea or suggestion on ehat to do next? Thanks up-front!

KafeURNA

Sep 11, 2012
Prague
Hi!
I see lot of knowledge here so I'll try my luck. I have Pioneer SPH-DA210 head unit with AppRadio 3 and latest firmware. I also have brand new HTC One M8, unlocked and carrier-free that I bought few days ago. It came with Android 4.4.3 SW and MirrorLink was the prime reason to buy it.

Before I connected it with head unit I pulled down updates from HTC and got very last Android version 4.4.4 with it. When I plug it to the USB port on Pioneer head unit after few seconds phone gives message "MirrorLink connected". It is also establishing bluetooth connection if it wasn't on as well as it suggests to turn data link tethering (optional). So, from the phone perspective all looks great. However, head unit does not see any device connected. It should indicate that MirrorLink device is connected, but it does not.. I tried opening Car app on the phone, before or after connecting with cable, but the outcome is the same. I also installed AppRadio app from Pioneer and tried with it. No outcome and screen mirroring.

Any idea or suggestion on ehat to do next? Thanks up-front!

Hi, I have found the problem...

According to cert.mirrorlink.com/ProductListing/ (can not paste full link) your head unit runs MirrorLink 1.0, but HTC M8 supports 1.1 (more secure), this combination is not supported by this phone :/

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good news!! Finally!!

Aug 11, 2014, 5:31 AM

HTC and the Car Connectivity Consortium today announced that a forthcoming software update will make the One (M8) MirrorLink compatible. MirrorLink is a connectivity tool for pairing smartphones and cars. It works across smartphone platforms and car manufacturers, and, according to the CCC, is the only vendor-neutral standard available. With MirrorLink aboard, the One (M8) will be able to connect to select in-car infotainment systems,m allowing drivers to more safely access their phone's content when behind the wheel. It's unclear how many cars currently support MirrorLink, but the CCC hopes with HTC's support more will choose to support it. Apple and Google both recently announced their own connectivity solutions for cars, which are expected to appear in iOS 8 and Android Release L, respectively. HTC said it will add MirrorLink support to mode devices down the road.