Can't properly restore a nandroid backup HELP!!!

Search This thread

rfgamaral

Nov 19, 2009
Porto
Hi,

I'm trying to restore a nandroid backup I did with TWRP 2.3.3.0 but I'm not being successful and it's bothering me because now I have an unstable system and didn't really wanted to reinstall everything from scratch...

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong but after restoring the backup and rebooting the phone, I can boot but MOST of my apps are not "installed". Shortcuts I had on the home screen are there with their respective icons, I click on them and I get "Applications is not installed". I also get a notification saying that phone storage is running low, and it is hitting the 2GB limit, but it never was like this before, I had lots of of free space for apps. Looking at the nandroid backup, it seems I have data.ext4.win000 and data.ext4.win001 both with around 1.5GB, which goes above the 2GB limit. Not sure if this means anything...

Why isn't this backup working and what can I do to attempt to solve it?

Any other info I can give you so you can better try and help me, just let me know what you need to know...

basti2909

Mar 21, 2011
Wrong section..

Hmm full wipe before restore??

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

rfgamaral

Nov 19, 2009
Porto
I updated to TWRP 2.5.0.0 and now I get "restore failed"... :'(

There's no way to get around this is there?

rfgamaral

Nov 19, 2009
Porto
not sure if your recovery is corrupt, maybe worth making a titanium backup of apps and system data, flashing a new rom and then restoring via titanium?
Can I make a titanium backup out of the nandroid backup? Cause that's all I have right now, my current ROM is not even working properly... I'll have completely reinstall a new ROM.

Shan89

Oct 23, 2012
Hi,

I'm trying to restore a nandroid backup I did with TWRP 2.3.3.0 but I'm not being successful and it's bothering me because now I have an unstable system and didn't really wanted to reinstall everything from scratch...

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong but after restoring the backup and rebooting the phone, I can boot but MOST of my apps are not "installed". Shortcuts I had on the home screen are there with their respective icons, I click on them and I get "Applications is not installed". I also get a notification saying that phone storage is running low, and it is hitting the 2GB limit, but it never was like this before, I had lots of of free space for apps. Looking at the nandroid backup, it seems I have data.ext4.win000 and data.ext4.win001 both with around 1.5GB, which goes above the 2GB limit. Not sure if this means anything...

Any other info I can give you so you can better try and help me, just let me know what you need to know...

It's your fault cuz the app data is not being restored , 1stly when you made the backup with TWPR you should've selected to backup the CACHE , you skipped that step since by default TWPR skips that step = no apps data anymore, tho there are shortcuts and in manage all apps you can see those apps installed but with grey collor like when being removed from lets say rom cleaner , theres still the APP IMAGE but not the app it'self , you could try this:

1. Flash old recovery ( the one you used to make the back up 2.3 or which ever you used ) . full wipe , restore nand backup ( don't forget to flash the boot.img in the bootloader if you used different kernel in that time or flash the modules via recovery for the kernel you use atm )

after you boot up re-download those apps that are there with shortcuts but not apps itself and hope for the saves from those apps to be there.

Next time if you don't wanna risk it you titanium back up and save the apps that matter to you , when restoring them back : download the app , go to titanium and restore only the DATA.

or simply check in TWPR when making nand backup to save the CACHE as well in the backup.

Reactions: rfgamaral

rfgamaral

Nov 19, 2009
Porto
Yeah, I know it was my fault... I was at work doing other stuff at the same time and didn't focus on what I was actually doing with my phone and I messed up. I was used to an old recovery on my old phone where a nandroid backup would backup everything needed and didn't really look at the partition options.

I'm doing exactly what you mentioned and so far seems to be working. All the data seems to be there, I just have to reinstall all the apps...

One thing though, since the nandroid restore process didn't work correctly, I was left with a full /data partition and my phone started reporting "low storage" and didn't allow me to do install anything. I looked into the /data partition and found out that the folder lost+found was filling up the partition, I erased everything in it and restored 1.2Gb of free space. I can now install all my apps.

Thank you all.

harrymason37

Jan 17, 2014
Tago
Hi,

Your rom is ok but i think your sdcard were you install your app has been modified. Just do a factory reset and install apps again it happened to me too).

harrymason37

Jan 17, 2014
Tago
I have different problem about nandroid back up, everytime i transfer my back up to pc and back again to my phone, the custom recovery cannot detect my back up. What should i do?

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
I have different problem about nandroid back up, everytime i transfer my back up to pc and back again to my phone, the custom recovery cannot detect my back up. What should i do?

Make sure you make no changes in the folder structure and folder naming. It has to be exact the same as it was.......and when you want to restore a nandroid you always flash the boot.img and recovery.img from the nandroid and then do the rest of the procedure

harrymason37

Jan 17, 2014
Tago
Make sure you make no changes in the folder structure and folder naming. It has to be exact the same as it was.......and when you want to restore a nandroid you always flash the boot.img and recovery.img from the nandroid and then do the rest of the procedure
thanks! Thats what i'm doing wrong, i just transfer the folder were the files is locate, i ignore the twrp folder. Thanks again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

It's your fault cuz the app data is not being restored , 1stly when you made the backup with TWPR you should've selected to backup the CACHE , you skipped that step since by default TWPR skips that step = no apps data anymore, tho there are shortcuts and in manage all apps you can see those apps installed but with grey collor like when being removed from lets say rom cleaner , theres still the APP IMAGE but not the app it'self , you could try this:

1. Flash old recovery ( the one you used to make the back up 2.3 or which ever you used ) . full wipe , restore nand backup ( don't forget to flash the boot.img in the bootloader if you used different kernel in that time or flash the modules via recovery for the kernel you use atm )

after you boot up re-download those apps that are there with shortcuts but not apps itself and hope for the saves from those apps to be there.

Next time if you don't wanna risk it you titanium back up and save the apps that matter to you , when restoring them back : download the app , go to titanium and restore only the DATA.

or simply check in TWPR when making nand backup to save the CACHE as well in the backup.

Flash the recovery from the backup and then try to restore nandroid and if you have empty spce in the name change with _