What happens when you don't game or download with a loaded phone? This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Lol, I went camping not so long ago and disabled all network and mobile connections and the phone lasted about 4 days!! Since there was no cell coverage where I was it was pointless draining the battery while constantly searching for networks. My main use for the phone was as a camera and I took A LOT of high res pics.

To @dladz, I guess ppl are bashing you because its kinda common sense that battery drain will be high whilst playing games (also this device has a large high def screen which chews battery if its on for a long time), for what its worth, I thank you for trying to be helpful and sharing some positive insight. Just ignore those who are condescending and already have agendas with the device to begin with.

But as stated previously, I agree that a lot of ppl can't seem to find enough reasons to bash this phone. Its as if they bought it primarily to find the faults, lol. I agree its not perfect but then again which phone is? Anyway I'm really happy with it and I find the battery life to be fantastic, better than any smart phone I have ever seen

In all fairness m8, i do look for faults in everything, if i pay an obscene amount of cash for a product i want to know where my money went and if everything is as it should, there isn't anything wrong with that either in my eyes, i honestly don't care if anyone disagrees with that, i can always find a silver lining in things too, so it works both ways.

The Z1 to me isn't a bad phone, it's just given me some suprises along the way that i didn't expect, some good some bad, talking about the good and the bad shouldn't be met with a mixed bag because other people haven't had the same experiences, i personally haven't got a problem with the tinted screen, leaky flaps, poor wifi, none of those things on my device have gone wrong at all, it's also a good OC'er, this particular model i've now got hasn't had one random reboot at all and has remained stable throughout.

Only two things that pissed me off were the phone getting warm (i'm aware it's a quad core CPU with a lot going on under the hood)

An the battery drain as soon as you ask it to do anything, thats pretty much it.

I know if you ask the phone to do a lot it's common sense that it'd drain the battery quicker, i'm aware, I was just suprised at actually how quick playing ANY kind of game really does make the battery go down, 20% with anything isn't going to last a long time at all m8, 3D or not.

As for this forum, theres a lot of kids in here and a lot of people who think they have a sort of entitlement to speak how they like, plus different cultures coming together isn't clever, some people are more direct without meaning to be rude whereas some people see that some don't, others think it's a free for all and you can say what you want and it's ok, it's those people i tend to have a problem with, especially when it's for an excuse instead of a reason.

dagrim1

Sep 1, 2008
Not all phones drain quickly when used for playing games, especially light games.

Point i'm making here is that any kind of remotely intensive cpu usage simply kills the battery on the z1, it's like it's going at full chat for no reason, i think it could be managed better on a kernel level that's all.

Ah, that;s what you meant... fair enough. Do you have any other phones available? Might be interesting to check cpu usage when playing these light games or analyze what's using the battery. Screen could also be a cause.

You could have been clearer in your starting post though ;)

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Ah, that;s what you meant... fair enough. Do you have any other phones available? Might be interesting to check cpu usage when playing these light games or analyze what's using the battery. Screen could also be a cause.

You could have been clearer in your starting post though ;)

CPU usage spikes pretty quickly whenever you do anything, I think it most likely could have been managed better.

I might do a test, i've got pretty much every device out now ( i work in the industry)

My original post was straight to the point, anyone who's used a Z1 will know exactly what i'm talking about, it's just a shame that some people are blind when it comes to a criticism of something that they hold dear.

I'll put candy crush on a few devices with no apps besides complete stock and see how long they last for, i'm guessing that the Z1 will come near last.

One of the things i wanted to get across is the absolute difference playing a game makes to your daily usage of your phone, it'll literally obliterate your battery, i just haven't had a phone before were it went down as fast as this one, i've streamlined my apps, nothing is on there that hasn't got a job to do, i don't skype, viber or tango, my wireless controls are always kept off unless they're in use.

I use autostarts and greenify, auto brightness off, set to around 40%, 1 email and one gmail account, whats app and all my apps are paid for or freemium, no hacked apks at all.

Last edited:

Killer2k8

Jul 25, 2008
Bucharest
I for my self have a brand new xz1, enabled stamina mode, whatsup/hangouts/email whitelisted, wifi all the time.

2hours 24 minutes of screen on (40 minutes gaming/browsing),
49 minutes of voice call
3G
and it lasted 3 days 2 hours until it reached 5%.

VolkS7X

May 4, 2013
London
The Xperia Z1 usually enters deep sleep mode when you don't use it, therefore saves a lot of battery. This topic was made by Captain Obvious, as this happens with basically anything electronic - the less you use it, the less electricity used.

As a side note, here's a better advice - if you want to save battery and still use your phone (that's why you're having it, after all), just don't use facebook or facebook messenger. I don't even understand how such a basic app can drain those UNBELIEVABLE amounts of battery

foc-us2k

Mar 26, 2010
NOVA
www.hybridmotive.com
I use my phone for about 9hrs a day streaming pandora through my bluetooth headset (sbh52). By the end of the day I have about 50% left. I have had really bad days where the bat drops quick. Usually there is a app that was hung and killing the batt.

negrobembon

Jul 17, 2011
panamá
Christ on a bike have you been reading what i've written? I've said that i've found that the battery goes down quicker on this phone with any intensive usage more so than i've noticed on other devices.

Do i think that all xz1's have battery issues? no but i think they could have managed the way it deals with different tasks better for sure.

Stop trying to sound clever, your responses in here have been pointless from the off m8, just turn it in.

Dude i don't want to be rude to you but according to your first post, you dont use your smartphone for games/video/music/etc so your battery lasts a long time

Do you know how expensive the Z1 is? Your Z1 is a glorified feature phone

Battery drains quicker when playing games just like any other device on any other Os, but my Z1 is still one of the longest lasting phones ive used(with daily games, music, videos) despite its high specs

So if you're telling me that your battery life is not even as good as a measly S3 then your device has a problem that you need to solve somehow

I'm not trying to offend you or pick a fight with you but you're obviously not getting what you paid for dude

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

raziel123

Apr 29, 2010
Haven't played a single game or downloaded anything all day and my battery life has been top notch. I only drop 1% overnight so in theory I can stretch 2 days out of this battery.

However, if I was to play some music, games, videos/movies.

My battery would be dead within the day.

So top tip. If you want your phone to last more than a day! Don't play games. ;)

10 hours 58 mins. With 58% left

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Isn't it a waste of money to by a Super-phone like the Z1 and not use it's features?

your better of with something lower specced if you don't intend playing games, like the Moto G for example.

regards

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Dude i don't want to be rude to you but according to your first post, you dont use your smartphone for games/video/music/etc so your battery lasts a long time

Do you know how expensive the Z1 is? Your Z1 is a glorified feature phone

Battery drains quicker when playing games just like any other device on any other Os, but my Z1 is still one of the longest lasting phones ive used(with daily games, music, videos) despite its high specs

So if you're telling me that your battery life is not even as good as a measly S3 then your device has a problem that you need to solve somehow

I'm not trying to offend you or pick a fight with you but you're obviously not getting what you paid for dude

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

I honestly didn't say i didn't play games, not once.

The top tip i wrote had a level of sarcasm about it too.

I used folder mount for my games, heres some of the ones i've got.

Asphalt 8, TOKR, RR3, GTR2, Riptide 2, Zombie GS, Deus EX the fall, Real boxing, Virtual Tennis, International snooker, Candy crush.

Ok, a lot of these games i've had throughout some of my android life, what i've been trying to say is that they drain a lot quicker than previous phones do, i know all about battery life which is why i've had my head in my hands a lot of the time while i'm trying to defend myself here.

I know how to find rogue apps and wakelocks, i understand about aggressive advert push notifications and I avoid them at all costs, the vast majority of my apps are greenified and / or autostarted.

My battery life is fine, i'm simply stating that when i play games my battery goes down quicker, now i don't know if it's down to the superior CPU / GPU or the screen or the fact that previous handsets had slower CPU/ GPU's or smaller batteries, all i know is that i've done everything else to save a good bit of battery and nothing else has bloody worked.

I commute for two hours per day when i'm in work, which is 5 days a week, i get bored on the tube and i play a few games.

Twice a day with music, it kills the battery, i know it will, what i've tried to say is, on the same commute with different phones with the same apps, i've yielded different results, plus this is my second Z1.

I'm not trying to make everyone run around with banners here saying that the z1's battery is crap, just saying that skipping the gaming is the only thing that's given me the battery life that i thought i was going to get from this phone.

Didn't think i was going to be publicly executed for it.

mckeowngoo

May 7, 2011
OnePlus 12
Never had any bother with my Z1. Battery life is pretty much the same as any smartphone I've owned.

Sent using my Z1 & Tapatalk 2 and not that abortion of a XDA premium app that shames the community it serves.....

omnius1

Mar 28, 2011
I honestly didn't say i didn't play games, not once.

The top tip i wrote had a level of sarcasm about it too.

I used folder mount for my games, heres some of the ones i've got.

Asphalt 8, TOKR, RR3, GTR2, Riptide 2, Zombie GS, Deus EX the fall, Real boxing, Virtual Tennis, International snooker, Candy crush.

Ok, a lot of these games i've had throughout some of my android life, what i've been trying to say is that they drain a lot quicker than previous phones do, i know all about battery life which is why i've had my head in my hands a lot of the time while i'm trying to defend myself here.

I know how to find rogue apps and wakelocks, i understand about aggressive advert push notifications and I avoid them at all costs, the vast majority of my apps are greenified and / or autostarted.

My battery life is fine, i'm simply stating that when i play games my battery goes down quicker, now i don't know if it's down to the superior CPU / GPU or the screen or the fact that previous handsets had slower CPU/ GPU's or smaller batteries, all i know is that i've done everything else to save a good bit of battery and nothing else has bloody worked.

I commute for two hours per day when i'm in work, which is 5 days a week, i get bored on the tube and i play a few games.

Twice a day with music, it kills the battery, i know it will, what i've tried to say is, on the same commute with different phones with the same apps, i've yielded different results, plus this is my second Z1.

I'm not trying to make everyone run around with banners here saying that the z1's battery is crap, just saying that skipping the gaming is the only thing that's given me the battery life that i thought i was going to get from this phone.

Didn't think i was going to be publicly executed for it.

Are you running a custom ROM or just rooted using the official Sony? Also to consider, perhaps folder mount and/or greenify don't play nice with Xperia software.

raziel123

Apr 29, 2010
At least for my usage, the battery on the Z1 is absolute beast.

Seconded

This phone has the best battery life to date for me,

Get well over a days usage with screen on time of at least 5-6 hours,

Battery life is no longer an issue

I don't know why the op was posting the obvious telling us that the battery drains quicker during gaming,

Regards

Reactions: bodson66

inFECT

Jun 3, 2010
Düsseldorf
www.psybnc.at
Seconded

I don't know why the op was posting the obvious telling us that the battery drains quicker during gaming,

Regards

Indeed. I confirm this. 5-6 hours screen time with about 20% battery left is no problem at all. Of course, talking about "normal" usage. texting, browsing, maybe a few yt vids..

negrobembon

Jul 17, 2011
panamá
Well i get 5 to 5 and half hours of screen time with medium heavy usage and daily rayman fiesta run and sonic 4 gaming

Im completely stock without even root

Maybe the games i play are not very demanding

also OP, maybe you have fast dormancy issues?

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dlads

Hermantje

May 22, 2012
Groningen
hugehog.blogspot.com
I've noticed that playing music drains the battery surprisingly little. Much less than with my previous Xperia S, that is. There's a noticeable improvement there. I guess it's mostly the Z1's display that drains the battery enormously. It's pretty obvious, but it's really a huge factor. I always listen to music with the display off, and still it's noticeably better than with the Xperia S.

I do believe the Snapdragon 800 chipset is a very power efficient chipset. It's just that when you're gaming for example, obviously the display has to be on all the time. Gaming for a while (that is, the actual game -) never drains a higher percentage than the drain caused by simply having the display on. So all in all, the Z1 has a great battery life as long as you don't power on the display too often. It's a beautiful display, but it comes at a cost (this is why the Z1 Compact does not have to have a 3000 mAh battery to have a better battery life than the Z1 - a combination of a smaller display and 'only' 720p). :angel:

negrobembon

Jul 17, 2011
panamá
Well that's true, playing music drains almost no battery for me
But games don't drain that much either, in my case
With 1 hour and a half of gamimg i get like 4 and half hours to 5 hours of screen time on a normal day

Last edited:

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Are you running a custom ROM or just rooted using the official Sony? Also to consider, perhaps folder mount and/or greenify don't play nice with Xperia software.

Monxs ROM. I did think about greenify. So have removed it and even auto starts in fact I've tried turning them all off except titanium.
I do see the day out that's not an issue.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Well i get 5 to 5 and half hours of screen time with medium heavy usage and daily rayman fiesta run and sonic 4 gaming

Im completely stock without even root

Maybe the games i play are not very demanding

also OP, maybe you have fast dormancy issues?

Hadn't seen an option for it, I know my network supports fast dormancy. But will check it out all the same.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Seconded

Regards

READ WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN!!!

I said that it dies quicker than phones that i've had before whilst gaming.

That is why i wrote what i wrote, do you understand now? We've been over this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Haven't played a single game or downloaded anything all day and my battery life has been top notch. I only drop 1% overnight so in theory I can stretch 2 days out of this battery.

So top tip. If you want your phone to last more than a day! Don't play games. ;)

Bad advice

Even better - try leaving your phone switched off! Battery lasts for....a very long time. The downside is, you don't get to use the phone...

Sorry if I come across rude, but you are stating the obvious, aren't you???
    I've cleaned over three pages of posts on this thread. People posting just for the sake of trolling is unacceptable, if you do not have anything constructive to say then do not say anything at all, if you are posting to get a rise out of someone use facebook, twitter or what ever form of social media sites but NOT XDA. If you guys have a problem with a thread simply report it and let the moderators look into it,

This thread has come to its EOL and as the OP seems to want it closed,

Thread closed
    I don't get it. I've had a G2, moto G, S4, note 2,and many more. And never in my life have I come across a XDA Forum for a device that has so much hate . literally when I had the G2 everyone was saying how great it is and only pointing out REAL issues. But with the Z1. Its like a craze that EVERYONE must complain about something wrong with it. What is with all the hate and/or stupid complaints about the Z1? Do Sony device owners assume that since the design is perfect everything else should be? There isn't and never will be a truly perfect device.

So why don't you guys (everyone not just the OP) just quit complaining and enjoy this amazing device. Its an amazing phone overall.

lol, yeah... if you use your phone intensively then your battery drains faster. Not really mind-boggling now is it.