Some questions for upgrading and/or rooting Galaxy S4 VZW

Search This thread

Sparxx2k8

Aug 8, 2008
First, let me say to please move this post if I am incorrectly posting this in the wrong forum; this appears to be the spot for me to post this, but I am not above being wrong :p

Currently I am running a 4.2.2 ROM, Bonestock 1.1.3, on the MDK firmware. I guess my first question is, should I fully upgrade OTA to current stock by factory resetting my phone for the updates? Or, is there a way to use my current setup using TWRP 2.5.0.3 to flash to a true 4.4.2 image?

I've picked up on a few threads here and there about upgrading/downgrading and booting and whatnot; but none as easy as "download this ROM and flash it". Now I completely understand that with bootloaders and software versions it becomes increasingly difficult to break down an image and root it and whatnot, so the simple "get this and flash it" method may be unatainable. However, the few threads I DID find, are so cumbersome and involved that a 20 minute process takes hours to complete because a step may be missed, or an error occurred that wasn't anticipated, or whatever.

I apologize for my ignorance and inability to understand all that is involved, but if someone could kindly point me down the right path, that would be sweet. With the internet by my side and my own personal ability to muddle through things and understand as I go, I should hope I can get KitKat on my phone sooner than later. I've muddled through the original root of my S4, my previous phone RAZR and my OG Droid before that .... along with an A500 tablet....if only it were put a bit more simply, I could accomplish this as well!

Thanks in advance for the help, if any is available :D

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Wrong section, questions go in Q&A, only development goes in the development section.

Anyway, if you're on MDK you can continue flashing roms as normal. Extended directions are for safestrap users that are on locked bootloader firmware.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

myklbear

Dec 18, 2012
Northern New Jersey
MDK upgrade

Seems like the question asked is in the Question section so not sure why the blast.....

You are lucky to have an MDK phone, as these are pre a lot of lockdowns that make custom Roms more complicated to work with. Because it is MDK, you can root, get a recovery module and after backups load a new Rom. Keep reading for details, but you have the easiest to work with.

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
First, let me say to please move this post if I am incorrectly posting this in the wrong forum; this appears to be the spot for me to post this, but I am not above being wrong :p

Currently I am running a 4.2.2 ROM, Bonestock 1.1.3, on the MDK firmware. I guess my first question is, should I fully upgrade OTA to current stock by factory resetting my phone for the updates? Or, is there a way to use my current setup using TWRP 2.5.0.3 to flash to a true 4.4.2 image?

I've picked up on a few threads here and there about upgrading/downgrading and booting and whatnot; but none as easy as "download this ROM and flash it". Now I completely understand that with bootloaders and software versions it becomes increasingly difficult to break down an image and root it and whatnot, so the simple "get this and flash it" method may be unatainable. However, the few threads I DID find, are so cumbersome and involved that a 20 minute process takes hours to complete because a step may be missed, or an error occurred that wasn't anticipated, or whatever.

I apologize for my ignorance and inability to understand all that is involved, but if someone could kindly point me down the right path, that would be sweet. With the internet by my side and my own personal ability to muddle through things and understand as I go, I should hope I can get KitKat on my phone sooner than later. I've muddled through the original root of my S4, my previous phone RAZR and my OG Droid before that .... along with an A500 tablet....if only it were put a bit more simply, I could accomplish this as well!

Thanks in advance for the help, if any is available :D

do not take any OTA with your phone,

myklbear

Dec 18, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Do not take an OTA because it will upgrade you from the mdk firmware which is th easiest to work with. Once you put a custom rom on, it will cease to allow OTA and protect you from carrier and mfg nasties that can try to cripple your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Seems like the question asked is in the Question section so not sure why the blast.....

You are lucky to have an MDK phone, as these are pre a lot of lockdowns that make custom Roms more complicated to work with. Because it is MDK, you can root, get a recovery module and after backups load a new Rom. Keep reading for details, but you have the easiest to work with.

A moderator moved it after I posted

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk