Other device, comparisons to other devices, and upgrading phone discussion

Search This thread

oblib__

Aug 26, 2009
Rockies
The one plus camera takes ugly pictures, but it will only bug you if you're a picture snob. When I take a picture of the kids doing something cute or whatever, I don't like having the thought in the back of my mind saying "whenever you look at this picture you'll wish you had the real camera handy." I didn't have that thought with my S3, S5, or M8, but did with the one plus.

wmunn

Nov 4, 2011
Before I ordered the OPO, I read a few reviews of the camera, and it was given a decent grade compared to the rest of the top line phones. Sure some are better at one thing or another, but the sample photos I saw from the reviewer were definitely not any worse that I see from iphone 5 or 6, and definitely not worse that s5, M8, nexus 5 etc

s8freak

Jan 17, 2013
Sanger
Before I ordered the OPO, I read a few reviews of the camera, and it was given a decent grade compared to the rest of the top line phones. Sure some are better at one thing or another, but the sample photos I saw from the reviewer were definitely not any worse that I see from iphone 5 or 6, and definitely not worse that s5, M8, nexus 5 etc

You'll love your OPO I came from the S5 and I have no problem with the camera. Easy to unlock bootloader easy root tons of development

Reactions: wmunn

wmunn

Nov 4, 2011
You'll love your OPO I came from the S5 and I have no problem with the camera. Easy to unlock bootloader easy root tons of development

This is exactly what I was looking for! unlockable, good root options, and most of all, plenty of ROMS to choose from. Now here's hoping the community sticks with this device for a couple of years worth the development and android version upgrades :)

One can hope right?

Reactions: s8freak

MCFADONNA

Oct 17, 2006
ARVADA,CO
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 10 Pro
One week now with the Lg g3. Camera I think is just as good . I unlocked the bootloader 10 minutes after I got home with it and flashed beanstalk lollipop . speaker is much louder then my s5 . Everything is working great . looks like my s5 is on the bench Lg g3 is the new starter for me . I'm much happier .

Sent from my LG-D850

akitten007

May 3, 2011
Galaxy S6 Info for you guys!

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-hands-review-preview
http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s6-versus-galaxy-s5-spec-comparison

• A summary: Metal body with Gorilla Glass 4 front and back.
  • New 16MP camera on back and 5MP on front. Object tracking focus on rear and a f/1.9 shutter
  • No micro sd slot or removable battery, but comes in 32, 64, and 128GB storage options.
  • Quad HD screen 5.1"
  • Slightly smaller battery (yeah I know right).
  • Almost 1.5mm thinner and 7g lighter.
  • NOT water resistant.
  • Powermat and qi wireless charging
  • Speaker and headphone jack on bottom
  • Touchwiz a little bit less terrible
  • Comes about April 10 in black white gold and blue

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

amazingasian

May 3, 2014
San Francisco
Galaxy S6 Info for you guys!

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-hands-review-preview
http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s6-versus-galaxy-s5-spec-comparison

• A summary: Metal body with Gorilla Glass 4 front and back.
  • New 16MP camera on back and 5MP on front. Object tracking focus on rear and a f/1.9 shutter
  • No micro sd slot or removable battery, but comes in 32, 64, and 128GB storage options.
  • Quad HD screen 5.1"
  • Slightly smaller battery (yeah I know right).
  • Almost 1.5mm thinner and 7g lighter.
  • NOT water resistant.
  • Powermat and qi wireless charging
  • Speaker and headphone jack on bottom
  • Touchwiz a little bit less terrible
  • Comes about April 10 in black white gold and blue

I like what I see with the s6 but there are some major downsides that really steer me away from the phone.
-Glass back will attract way too many fingerprints.
-no expandable storage
-usb 2.0
-lack of ip67 certification.

thinking that the s5 will be my last samsung phone.

akitten007

May 3, 2011
I like what I see with the s6 but there are some major downsides that really steer me away from the phone.
-Glass back will attract way too many fingerprints.
-no expandable storage
-usb 2.0
-lack of ip67 certification.

thinking that the s5 will be my last samsung phone.
I don't mind the glass back or the lack of an sd card slot, as long as they don't gouge us for money like Apple does for better storage options. USB 3.0 doesn't give a noticeable speed boost when transferring files for me, and I hate the port/connector for it. I could go either way on water resistance, but it doesn't make or break a purchase. I'm also very disappointed with the HTC M9, which I wanted to switch to but now I'm not sure. Hopefully the Sony Z4 will be better than both of them..

amazingasian

May 3, 2014
San Francisco
I don't mind the glass back or the lack of an sd card slot, as long as they don't gouge us for money like Apple does for better storage options. USB 3.0 doesn't give a noticeable speed boost when transferring files for me, and I hate the port/connector for it. I could go either way on water resistance, but it doesn't make or break a purchase. I'm also very disappointed with the HTC M9, which I wanted to switch to but now I'm not sure. Hopefully the Sony Z4 will be better than both of them..

Just got the s5 in December and im pretty pleased and since i have the galaxy gear, im kinda stuck with the s5 for awhile. i think ill just wait for the next nexus to come out.

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
I've been waiting for the S6 to be announced, and had planned to make it my next phone. But now, I'm very disappointed with the specs: smaller non-replaceable battery, no SD card, not waterproof. I don't care about the glass front and back, etc, or whether the back is made of metal or plastic. I buy my phones for functionality, not to compete in looks with Apple, plus, I keep it in a case anyway, so I never see the back. Having a curved phone looks like a pointless gimmick and I don't need a wrap-around screen. The only Pros I see with the S6 vs the S5 are the faster processor(s), better screen resolution and possibly, a better camera. All of those specs were completely adequate on the S5, so I think the negatives outweigh the positives.

This is an expensive phone, and I'm sure that the need to buy more onboard storage is going to drive up the price. I'd much prefer to use SD cards which get cheaper all the time.

So, the bottom line is that I'll be getting an S5 vs the S6. This has the advantage that root and custom roms are available now, so I won't have to go through the growing pains of waiting for S6 development to catch up. I'm really disappointed that Samsung decided to turn the Galaxy phones into an iPhone wannabe, but I guess that's what the mass public will buy.

Last edited:

C0derbear

Nov 6, 2012
Lack of IP67 for me means that I *require* a waterproof case (LifeProof, Otterbox, what-evs) or it's a no-go.

This by derivation renders the glass back undesirable since that just adds weight compared to plastic or metal. I woudn't NOT buy it because of the glass back, but it's not a bonus.

cybershawngates

Jan 28, 2012
Can anyone compare a iphone 6 vs samsung s5 from actual ownership of the two? The s6 was a disappointment : not waterproof no battery swap, no sd card. Our att phones have locked bootloaders and our platform fragmented with lollipop arriving late. I see no reason necessary to stick with android. Any thoughts? None of my friends have android...it has become almost all apple world it seems. Im sorry to see it this way. I really want android to suceed. But the carriers are ruining things. Google needs to rein in android and push updates similar to windows desktops even though there are many oems. They need to enforce a consistent ui and buttons...i.e. no touchwiz and no samsung bloat. Too much is left to the carriers. Bootloaders need to be unlocked etc. Only then can android rein...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

adam_ky

Feb 3, 2014
Yea.. I can see where u are coming from.. the way att has destroyed the s5, at times I just want to put my sim card back in my s3 running cyanogenmod mod.
The upside, on a positive note, I have seen one phone that is coming out with cyanogenmod mod as its os from the box.
That's a good sign. I. The future I may look to a device like that. I'm just not interested in anything a carrier has altered. TouchWiz is garbage.
As far as android in general, lolipop shows me they are going in the wrong direction and wanting to be more like apple. $$$. Not only that.. it's ugly as poop. Who in their right mind would want to go from black and sleek to white and pastels...
Lolipop in my opinion is trash also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

mastamindz

Feb 4, 2012
Lack of IP67 for me means that I *require* a waterproof case (LifeProof, Otterbox, what-evs) or it's a no-go.

This by derivation renders the glass back undesirable since that just adds weight compared to plastic or metal. I woudn't NOT buy it because of the glass back, but it's not a bonus.
3[emoji635] [emoji597] [emoji589] [emoji612] [emoji604] [emoji665] [emoji681] ta[emoji709] [emoji809] [emoji628] [emoji628] [emoji628] t[emoji793] [emoji792] [emoji778] e[emoji819] [emoji819] [emoji833] [emoji817] [emoji651]

mic81784

Oct 29, 2010
Shold I use a new galaxy s6? I have an s5 Active right now.

I am using a rooted Galaxy S5 Active right now. I love that it is waterproof, relatively drop-proof, and can do many things non-rooted users can't do. I have access to a new S6 if I wish. The way I see it is I could upgrade to a newer device and receive some of the benefits that MM (which is arriving today iinm) has to offer, with the hope that a root exploit will eventually happen. Or I could get a new battery for my old S5 and continue to enjoy root benefits. What should I do?

edit: I realized immediately after publishing that I misspelled should in the title. Please don't think I am a moron.

Reactions: Bushmaster1

LoSt180

Dec 21, 2011
Thoughts on any of the current Nexus phones? I've been watching some of the S7 forums and all variants seem pretty locked down so probably isn't worth the upgrade. The unlocked Nexus phones look promising, but none ever seem to have an SD slot and the 5X tops out at 32GB which is rubbish.

whodisname

Feb 14, 2012
destrehan
I'm getting an at&t s5 active in 2 days from Amazon.
It's refurbished, so it will either come with the original baseband, or the latest one at the time it was put in the box.
It's paid for and on the move.

My questions are, will I be able to unlock the bootloader of it comes with Marshmallow installed?
Will I be able to obtain root if it I on Marshmallow.
Will I be able to downgrade the bootloader If it is is on marshmallow.
I'm very familiar with Samsung and Odin and whatnot.
Thanks in advance do any info you can share with me.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here my review as I've had both devices in the past couples of days.

Design m8> s5

Both phones to me look great but the design on the m8 is sexy! When I saw the s5 all I've seen where white models, which to me made the phone look horrible cause of the added width made the screen look smaller than it actually is UNTIL I got my black s5 and loved it as soon as I traded my m8 in.

Camera s5> m8

Pics on the m8 ON THE PHONE look amazing but when crop you see the flaw in the 4mp shooter. S5 camera just clearly is the better point shoot camera if you want to use your pics past social media uploads. If not then M8 should do you fine.

One hand use s5> m8

As sexy as the m8 is the back is slippery and I felt very uncomfortable one hand using the phone and the fact that the m8 is narrow and taller reaching the top of the screen was a scary thing to do as I was running the phone with no case whatsoever. Case Will solve the slippery back but with the s5 I don't feel like I need a case as the back is nice to touch and being that the phone is lighter than the m8 makes me feel I have one hand control of the phone at all time.

Speakers m8> s5

Don't really need to go into this and one of the features I miss on the m8 as I do listen to a lot of music.

Screen draw

Both are beautiful

Features s5> m8

S5 more featured packed but the features in the m8 are no slouch
    Wish the s5 had the double tap to wake the phone but since it has the finger print I can see why they didn't go with that feature. Overall while some think their gimmicky the features on the s5 are fun and very useful to use when need be.

Internal memory m8> s5

More internal storage for the same price as a 16gb s5 is always gonna be better for some. NOW the SD card slot is working great for me so my Internal memory can be just for apps but those that don't like SD then note the s5 32gb will be slightly more on contract and off contract than the m8.

Battery life s5 > m8

My s5 is doing great and I love the feature with the power saving option offering a extended mode for those needs when Your at 10% and won't be near a charger for period of time.
    But the m8 battery life is just as good as the s5 with my units I had.

Custom Roms m8> s5

One of the big reason xda was started for and unless u have the t-mobile variant then root and maybe a stock tw rom is all your gonna get from the s5 att model. But the experience with the new tw is very nice and I'm not seeing lag as previous galaxy phones in the past

So basically it comes down to this

Features or custom roms?
    Top build quality or water resistant plastic?
    4mp or 16mp camera?
    Boomsound or fingerprint?

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the two flagships. Custom roms are great but some don't function and leave features that sold you into the phone from the beginning. Samsung is becoming apple which is not a bad thing. I remember when HTC was doing the locked bl and fans went nuts then they slowly changed their ways of tactics. as a phone the s5 and the m8 IS that plus some. now I'm more than happy with my s5, you may need your root and that's it which I see s5 having at some point very soon. But if u need your custom kernels and aosp roms then don't even look at the s5. Hope this helps those deciding between the two....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Please use this thread to discuss devices other than and any comparisons with other devices on or about the GS 5 in this thread and any other off-topic issues that are not needing a new thread.

Post with respect, this is a helpful community, hope we all learn from this stuff in here.
    Anyone has both the M8 and S5? Or had the M8 and now the S5 _(or the other way around? Although the S5 just came out)? How do they compare? Please try to be as objective as possible Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My gf has the M8 and I have the S5. Only a few days now but I like them both. We both had hung onto our original Rooted and ROMed Notes before these.
    Some initial impressions:
    • S5 is lighter so maybe a bit easier to one hand, although after the Dell Streak and Note anything seems small and easy.
    • M8 feels more solid due to design/weight, but that is more a perception than function thing. The all plastic Note was fine so I don't expect an issue with the S5.
    • Screens are comparable, both very nice; different but one isn't distinctly better than the other in real life usage.
    • Speaker sound is obviously won by the M8, not even close. The S5 is ok, but the M8 is designed for sound and it shows.
    • Performance seems great for both, although I haven't had the M8 in my hand as much.
    • Reception (LTE) is the same in a side by side test on my table, just using the on screen indicator. Both are better than the Note.
    • I actually like the on screen keys on the M8 as they are the same as my tablets, I'm getting used to the S5 home button but I haven't had a physical home button in a long time (since the iPhone 3g- ...don't judge me!).

We both ditched the Stock UI for Nova and/or Apex Launcher immediately so I have no idea how Sense and Touchwiz compare in usage other than they felt both restrictive and simplistic off the bat.

Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know and I'll check it out; but after a few days around both I'd be happy using either device.
    Drew
    Anyone has both the M8 and S5? Or had the M8 and now the S5 _(or the other way around? Although the S5 just came out)? How do they compare? Please try to be as objective as possible Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Coming from an Lg optimus G Pro..... got an M8 on 4/17 and started having issues with it resetting the home screens for no reason. Im sure it is probably just a rare bad unit but since it is my first HTC, I decided to return it and get an S5.

Really no reason to write several paragraphs on the comparisons as most of the comparisons done so far is what I have seen as well. To sum it up

*The HTC is elegant, cleaner interface, not as "gimmicky", looks and feels better made (although covering it in a case takes away all that beauty advantage), and has better external sound (by a lot). This not only applies to music but also to speaker phone calls. For those that are still confused about the sd card The US version DOES HAVE an SD slot on the left side opposite to the sim tray, so that argument is mute. The onscreen buttons are a pain to get used to unless you are coming from something with the same.

* The S5 takes better pics (not by a lot and you really only notice when they are side by side unless you have a photographers eye), the s5 is water and dust resistant (this is a biggie impo), i think the s5 battery is going to be a bit better, I dont see any real world difference in the screen clarity or color between the two. You will never notice any difference in speed rather in everyday apps or playing something like riptide, the s5 operates hotter and does not dissipate processor heat as well as the m8. Im worried about the charging port cover breaking on the s5. Too bad they did not get rid of the fp scanner and the hr monitor and spend the money on dual speakers.

*Photos and water resistance important = S5
    *Sound and cleaner less gimmicky important = M8

"All readers should consider that every word stated here is a matter of opinion. I am not explicitly promoting either phone or brand, and only making statements of fact as they apply to my personnel observations" :angel:
    Leaving samsung after 6 years

i have been with Samsung since their flip phone. and i even dealt with the stupid boot loader lock on the s4 for a year. and i recently got the galaxy s5 not even a week and i am going to exchange it for the htc one m8. I was greatly disappointed to find out that the Galaxy S5 (SUCH A POWERFUL PHONE) was locked down. It truly depressed me. and then recently i found out you can unlock the htc one m8 boot loader at their website, THAT IS AWESOME, but why cant sammy do that? its dumb. so i just wanted to let everyone that reads this know that htc CAN be unlocked. unlock crappy sammy. And to be honest i love the Galaxy S5, its powerful, fast, and amazing. but i cannot go another year without custom roms, kernels, and recoveries, thanks to my s4 being locked, i never got to learn the newest roms, kernels, or recoveries. :( so in exactly 4 days im leaving the locked down chamber of samsung and entering the freedom of htc :D