[Q] Micro Arc Oxidation failure?

Search This thread

enlan

Apr 8, 2012
Does anybody has got the problem with the ceramic surface which is shown in the following pictures??

Looks like a major problem with the production technology :-(

Attachments

• IMAG0771.jpg
    IMAG0771.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 31,838
  • 20120329_104708.jpg
    20120329_104708.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 11,036

real187

Mar 3, 2008
Looks more like markings of a drop to me.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA

NardVa

Mar 20, 2011
Don't think the Micro Arc protects from drops.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using xda premium

packetlos

Jan 13, 2009
North East England
Guys,

When I first read this I thought the same thing that the device had been dropped... however I have just looked closely at my own device and the same thing is happening on the sharp edge on the left hand side :(

My device has NOT been dropped or mistreated in any way.

Lox_Dev

Oct 7, 2007
Kanaky-New-Caledonia
"It features aircraft 6,000 series aluminum which is treated with micro arc oxidation by blasting it with 10,000 volts of energy. This gives the metal a ceramic feel and causes it to become five times harder (that’s three times stronger than stainless steel).

The shell of the HTC One S is so durable that HTC claims that it does not even need a protective case. "

enlan

Apr 8, 2012
The shown devices were not droped. A lot of the One S look like this after one week of safely carrying . Belive me, your devices will show the same failure in approxamitly one or two weeks.

It looks like the brittle ceramic skin can't hold on to the flexible aluminum. Like I said major problem with the production technology.

Last edited:

Settembrini

Mar 6, 2008
The nice words of HTC are advertising words.
I am not surprised of the problem and I think it to be idiotic to have such a sharp edge. What else can you expect?

Kamyu

Sep 18, 2010
Is there anyone else who experiences the same thing?

Damn.. I really wanted the One S. Yet If the ceramic back is this easily damaged without dropping.. I might not get it. I hate cases.

ZeppeMan

Dec 14, 2009
Is there anyone else who experiences the same thing?

Damn.. I really wanted the One S. Yet If the ceramic back is this easily damaged without dropping.. I might not get it. I hate cases.

Same here, this could be the only reason why I won't buy this phone. I never use cases because it makes the phone ugly imo. And I don't know if I want the grey version..

Last edited:

jodue

Dec 15, 2009
vienna
LOL...i noticed some spots up there too after reading this thread and was concerned at first but the white marks could be "rubbed-away" like the marks from fingernails on the back which was shown in a lot of videos ... just try it. ;)

hey, they use this stuff for satelites...

Sent from my HTC One S using XDA

Last edited:

QuintusDias

Sep 16, 2010
Groningen
How bad is this problem? Do more people experience it?
Also, does it happen to the blue version as well? Otherwise I might change my pre-order to that..

enlan

Apr 8, 2012
The blue one got another treatment. There is no ceramic surface which can come off.

There is no way to rub the damage away. The Oxidation to Al2O3 happens only under high temperatures. If the ceramic skin can't hold on the the aluminum it will be damaged permanently

Apr 6, 2012
Wow. This is making me reconsider my choice. Got a One S due for delivery tomorrow and might be tempted to send it straight back either for the grey one or for the One X having seen this.

Jackmax32

Apr 26, 2011
Wow. This is making me reconsider my choice. Got a One S due for delivery tomorrow and might be tempted to send it straight back either for the grey one or for the One X having seen this.

Same here..
Though its not available in India yet , I was planning to buy it when it hits Indian market.

Last edited:

Kamyu

Sep 18, 2010
So if any One S user reads this, could he/she share some experiences with the ceramic surface? Even if you do not have any problems at all. It would be nice to find out if this is just a bad product, or a common problem..

rboekee

Jun 24, 2010
Cambridge
I've had mine a few days and not dropped it or anything, it seems to have started on mine though. If it gets any worse over the next couple of days I'll have to take it back, not sure what to do though as I love the phone and don't like it as much in grey/blue :confused:

Anybody contacted HTC about this yet?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anybody has got the problem with the ceramic surface which is shown in the following pictures??

Looks like a major problem with the production technology :-(
    You have to be really dumb to release phones like this. This is not the first time HTC has done this. QA obviously sucks at HTC

As a potential HTC One S owner I'll just inject a few words into this thread.

Most of the people complaining and spouting their opinions on QA have no frigging clue about metallurgy or SCM.

I have consulted for companies that design & sell 100k-1M units. There are so many steps in the process until that phone gets to your hands (at a very low price, considering the complexity!), that the mind would boggle - and sometimes it's amazing that anything works at all, ever.

As for the coating process, I doubt that HTC mills the metal or has plasma baths in their offices. All this stuff is outsourced. And in China its hard to ensure that you get what you pay for (or specify) - Ive seen this happen with PCB laminates, components where the BOM says one thing, and a middleman will just ignore it and pocket the difference.

Maybe the base metal was a 3003 alloy instead of a 6100, maybe it was not degreased well enough, maybe some employees handled the edges, perhaps the plasma bath was too cold, or things not given enough time to warm up due to the units/hour presure from the line manager. Moreover, unless you destructively test the devices it's very hard to spot such failures unless you decided that's what you're going to look for.

Of course I would be disappointed when my One S has a chipping issue, but it seems like HTC is being responsible and has quickly acknowledged the issue, without telling the customers "you're holding it wrong"

FWIW I own a HTC Desire, a Nokia N79, SE K750 and lots of old Nokias.
    surface flaw, no scratch

Have been at a surveyor. He told me this are doubtless no scratches. And indeed I did not drop my phone. On the pictures they took you can clearly see that there are no scratches aroud the affected area, which should be there if I dropped the phone.. What I think is the my reseller will tell me I am stupid if I show those very little flaws to him :eek:
    Let's hope for HTC
    6tjn9j.jpg
    2bb891.jpg
    Thread Cleaned

I have cleaned some posts from the last few pages. Some of the comments are not acceptable. Further trolling will result in a infraction/ban. Do not engage trolls, just report them and let the moderation team sort the problem. In short, dont feed the trolls!​
    ^^Good post psch0t1c^^

I'm not sure about sending it back to HTC in case they do try and say I have damaged it which I KNOW I haven't. I'm inclined to wait a few more days and see if the problem becomes more widespread and HTC become more aware of the problem.

I think we should ether do a new thread or add a poll to the OP so we can gauge how many people are affected thus far.