[Q] Not rooted Note 3 returned from repair - modified, rooted, not repaired

Search This thread

dvavajiva

Feb 4, 2014
Hi.
I have a fault with my Note 3. It restarts itself, powers off, sometimes cannot power on (freezing when first Samsung logo appears), but time to time it powers on and runs for couple of minutes. I gave it for repairs to Phones4u (UK). They kept my phone for two weeks and I received info it cannot be repaired because it has been rooted and warranty does not cover it.
First things first:
- I have never rooted my phone
- nobody else had my phone in his hands without my attention (before I gave it to Phones4u repair service)
- I was using KNOX on my phone to keep data secured, which is not possible to run KNOX if phone was rooted
- I was updating this phone with original software by auto updates
- I never used something like "Odin"" or "custom Rom"

When the fault first appeared I tried to backup my data (successful). Then I decided to make a hard boot reset. Instead of pressing Power+Home+VolumeUp I pressed by mistake Power+Home+VolumeDown which took me to download mode, as I get known.
I only remember that I have seen on screen few lines which content that info (I rewrite with the help of google search):
Current binary: Official
System Status: Official
Knox Kernel Lock: 0x0
Knox Warranty Void: 0x0
Then I did a Hard Boot Reset and next day gave it to the service for repair.

Now, when unrepaired phone came back I was able to power it on and it was running for about 3 hours (maybe because it was cold or sth) untill it froze again and I had to take off the battery to restart. I installed app "check root" which told me phone isn't rooted, but I am unable to do any updates as "your device has been modified". I cannot install and run KNOX, because "your device is not authorised to enter KNOX"
Next, download mode tells me:
Current binary: Custom
System Status: Custom
Knox Warranty Void: 0x1

So, I am sure that somebody from repair team has made some changes in my phone and will not confess he did it. Customer Service is not helping me and I understand they think I am responsible for this fault. I found some help in Phones4u store in Motherwell, where some girl tried to contact repairs and customer services to get some answers fro 40 minutes with no results. Finally she was advised to contact Samsung. She arranged a service for me. I will send my device to Samsung when I receive some secure bag to send my device in.
However, I know they are unable to repair my device if KNOX Warranty Void 0x1. But what I am going to ask them is, can they find in that phone when was changes made and how. That would help me identify who is responsible for that. Do you think Samsung is able to read from my phone that modification time and date and who is guilty?

Last edited:

zipolly

Jan 20, 2010
I was under the impression that tripping knox would not invalidate your warranty in the uk and that the phone would still be repaired .

ant78

Jul 13, 2008
Manchester
I also had my phone returned to me from Samsung, my phone was rooted and i played dumb saying i just downloaded an app from the play store and that's why its rooted. They where not having any of it and said i invalidated my warranty:crying: Seems Samsung are getting tough :mad:

dvavajiva

Feb 4, 2014
nch

I also had my phone returned to me from Samsung, my phone was rooted and i played dumb saying i just downloaded an app from the play store and that's why its rooted. They where not having any of it and said i invalidated my warranty:crying: Seems Samsung are getting tough :mad:

Well, that's a bit different. My phone was not rooted when I was sending to the repair, and the repair service was not Samsung official, but some Accredited Repair Centre which cooperate with Phones4U.
I am not playing dumb, I never rooted my phone or neither modified software. Some incompetent guy from this repair centre could do that. I don't know how could that happened, I'm only sure what I didn't do.
Now, is it possible to check inside the phone when was it modified? It was send to repair on 23rd January'14 and returned to me on 5th of February. If during this time phone had some changes in software that means this repair centre is responsible for doing that. Again, is it possible to read from the phone when modifications (rooting, changing software from original to custom) have been done? Can Samsung repairs check that?

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Haven't I read this before on Phones4U forum?

Argue with them, don't take no for an answer.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dvavajiva

Feb 4, 2014
Yes, you have. I am trying to get any explanation from Phones4U Customer Service in this matter.
I hope Samsungs service is going to help me.
Nobody knows is there any record of date and time of software change in this phone? I want to be sure before I send it to Samsung repairs...

Journyman16

Aug 26, 2012
Murray Bridge
I don't know if they can tell or not but you should insist they can - there should be certain files on there with a given date/time stamp. I can't imagine them implementing something like Knox without a log to track changes. Tell them to check the dates, give them the ones you have up above and insist they check to see when it was modded.

Does the UK have a forum like forums.whirlpool.net.au or maybe www.productreview.com.au? Many companies have reps that browse those sites to address concerns of customers, because they know such sites can have a dramatic effect on sales if the company gets slammed.

Reactions: dvavajiva

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Under UK Law, we deal with the retailer not the manufacturer. You have to take the argument up with P4U and not Samsung, as P4U use their own Service Centres. - Find the EU Directive, throw it at them, watch P4U shat themselves. Always go in knowing your rights or they'll pawn you off.

Reactions: dvavajiva

dvavajiva

Feb 4, 2014
Under UK Law, we deal with the retailer not the manufacturer. You have to take the argument up with P4U and not Samsung, as P4U use their own Service Centres. - Find the EU Directive, throw it at them, watch P4U shat themselves. Always go in knowing your rights or they'll pawn you off.

Even in UK we deal with the retailer, Samsung has repaired my friends SM-N9505 who had the same problem (rebooting loop). If I know that I would contact directly Samsung than Phones4U Accredited Repair Centre (they don't know how to fix N9005, so the best way is to put KNOX Warranty Void 0x1 to avoid unwanted job).

By the way, I found the company cooperating with Phones4U, it is Anovo

jdomadia

Jan 28, 2013
DUBAI/INDIA
Hi.
I have a fault with my Note 3. It restarts itself, powers off, sometimes cannot power on (freezing when first Samsung logo appears), but time to time it powers on and runs for couple of minutes. I gave it for repairs to Phones4u (UK). They kept my phone for two weeks and I received info it cannot be repaired because it has been rooted and warranty does not cover it.
First things first:
- I have never rooted my phone
- nobody else had my phone in his hands without my attention (before I gave it to Phones4u repair service)
- I was using KNOX on my phone to keep data secured, which is not possible to run KNOX if phone was rooted
- I was updating this phone with original software by auto updates
- I never used something like "Odin"" or "custom Rom"

When the fault first appeared I tried to backup my data (successful). Then I decided to make a hard boot reset. Instead of pressing Power+Home+VolumeUp I pressed by mistake Power+Home+VolumeDown which took me to download mode, as I get known.
I only remember that I have seen on screen few lines which content that info (I rewrite with the help of google search):
Current binary: Official
System Status: Official
Knox Warranty Void: 0x0
Then I did a Hard Boot Reset and next day gave it to the service for repair.

Now, when unrepaired phone came back I was able to power it on and it was running for about 3 hours (maybe because it was cold or sth) untill it froze again and I had to take off the battery to restart. I installed app "check root" which told me phone isn't rooted, but I am unable to do any updates as "your device has been modified". I cannot install and run KNOX, because "your device is not authorised to enter KNOX"
Next, download mode tells me:
Current binary: Custom
System Status: Custom
Knox Warranty Void: 0x1

So, I am sure that somebody from repair team has made some changes in my phone and will not confess he did it. Customer Service is not helping me and I understand they think I am responsible for this fault. I found some help in Phones4u store in Motherwell, where some girl tried to contact repairs and customer services to get some answers fro 40 minutes with no results. Finally she was advised to contact Samsung. She arranged a service for me. I will send my device to Samsung when I receive some secure bag to send my device in.
However, I know they are unable to repair my device if KNOX Warranty Void 0x1. But what I am going to ask them is, can they find in that phone when was changes made and how. That would help me identify who is responsible for that. Do you think Samsung is able to read from my phone that modification time and date and who is guilty?
I face similar problem, no root no odin flash etc.,gave it to authorise service centre for fixing 4g signal issue, they return device after a while saying problem is in your sim but I notice they flash firmware as my own data was not there, after reaching home I found white keyboard while typing which was there in MJ1 firmware but when I gave note 3 for repair was having latest MJ7 firmware with black keyboard,means they downgrade my mobile, I connect to kies says “this device can not update.....” I checked in download mode & found 0x1, lot of arguments with service centre on the issue but they simply said u must have rooted so flag is 0x1,I know service centre guy purposely or by mistake flash older ver which lead to trip flag,finally I sold my mobile in a shop without warranty & bought another.

dvavajiva

Feb 4, 2014
I face similar problem, no root no odin flash etc.,gave it to authorise service centre for fixing 4g signal issue, they return device after a while saying problem is in your sim but I notice they flash firmware as my own data was not there, after reaching home I found white keyboard while typing which was there in MJ1 firmware but when I gave note 3 for repair was having latest MJ7 firmware with black keyboard,means they downgrade my mobile, I connect to kies says “this device can not update.....” I checked in download mode & found 0x1, lot of arguments with service centre on the issue but they simply said u must have rooted so flag is 0x1,I know service centre guy purposely or by mistake flash older ver which lead to trip flag,finally I sold my mobile in a shop without warranty & bought another.

What is wrong with authorise services? Can't they fix newest devices? Maybe they even didn't know about KNOX counter, so they didn't care much what they do.
When I called them, I was told my phone is rooted, but when my phone is back there was a letter inside telling that "the problem is related to excessive pressure or physical impact damage". My phone is perfect, ideal, no even smallest scratch on it. The problem is related to the Anovo Accredited Repair Centre incompetency in my opinion.

So, everyone who owns Note 3, Note 2, S4 or S3 (as far as I know) should be aware of giving to repair other then Samsung official. In all that phones the newest update comes with KNOX Warranty Void, which authorised repair centre simply 0x1s it.

denski101

Jan 7, 2014
What is wrong with authorise services? Can't they fix newest devices? Maybe they even didn't know about KNOX counter, so they didn't care much what they do.
When I called them, I was told my phone is rooted, but when my phone is back there was a letter inside telling that "the problem is related to excessive pressure or physical impact damage". My phone is perfect, ideal, no even smallest scratch on it. The problem is related to the Anovo Accredited Repair Centre incompetency in my opinion.

So, everyone who owns Note 3, Note 2, S4 or S3 (as far as I know) should be aware of giving to repair other then Samsung official. In all that phones the newest update comes with KNOX Warranty Void, which authorised repair centre simply 0x1s it.

Scarey stuff indeed! You have rights, find the appropriate government watchdog and send them your story. Don't give up, those bastards shouldn't use the knox flag(which you didn't trip!!!) to wipe their hands clean of any responsibility. If they sold you a dud, they repair it or replace it.

Knox was a monumental **** up on Samsung's part. If I was in your position and they didn't honor my warranty, I would never buy a Samsung phone EVER again!
Hope this gets sorted for you. Good Luck

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

dvavajiva

Feb 4, 2014
Scarey stuff indeed! You have rights, find the appropriate government watchdog and send them your story. Don't give up, those bastards shouldn't use the knox flag(which you didn't trip!!!) to wipe their hands clean of any responsibility. If they sold you a dud, they repair it or replace it.

Knox was a monumental **** up on Samsung's part. If I was in your position and they didn't honor my warranty, I would never buy a Samsung phone EVER again!
Hope this gets sorted for you. Good Luck

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Actually, I like my Note 3, even it get that problem with restarting and not powering on correctly (that problem might be with hardware, nothing about rooted device). I don't much bother about KNOX counter in this device, as I do not need rooted phone and custom ROM. I only bother about Samsungs authorisation which was given to Anovo, that should be taken back if they do mess instead of proper repair.
I am hoping to find some help in Samsung official repair centre. Will back soon with some news after their feedback.

jdomadia

Jan 28, 2013
DUBAI/INDIA
Actually, I like my Note 3, even it get that problem with restarting and not powering on correctly (that problem might be with hardware, nothing about rooted device). I don't much bother about KNOX counter in this device, as I do not need rooted phone and custom ROM. I only bother about Samsungs authorisation which was given to Anovo, that should be taken back if they do mess instead of proper repair.
I am hoping to find some help in Samsung official repair centre. Will back soon with some news after their feedback.
Samsung will be perfect for me if below three will be there.
1.International Warranty
2.World wide firmware Updates (same time for all the country)
3.World wide offline free Navigation

Spere

Aug 7, 2013
I have to ask OP, is your phone really same phone that you sent to repair? Same IMEI, same S/N?
Is it possible they sent you a replacement or just by mistake mixed two Notes on the table and sent you the wrong one?

Just asking this since years ago my Sony Ericsson got mixed with some others phone, they fixed my phones fault to that other phone and sent it to me lol :p (And to my phone they fixed that another phone faults and sent it to other side of country.. Still both phones broken but now just sent to wrong owners, lol)

ant78

Jul 13, 2008
Manchester
Even in UK we deal with the retailer, Samsung has repaired my friends SM-N9505 who had the same problem (rebooting loop). If I know that I would contact directly Samsung than Phones4U Accredited Repair Centre (they don't know how to fix N9005, so the best way is to put KNOX Warranty Void 0x1 to avoid unwanted job).

By the way, I found the company cooperating with Phones4U, it is Anovo

They repaired your friends? Just had mine returned after they refused to repair mine as its rooted :(

dvavajiva

Feb 4, 2014
I have to ask OP, is your phone really same phone that you sent to repair? Same IMEI, same S/N?
Is it possible they sent you a replacement or just by mistake mixed two Notes on the table and sent you the wrong one?

Just asking this since years ago my Sony Ericsson got mixed with some others phone, they fixed my phones fault to that other phone and sent it to me lol :p (And to my phone they fixed that another phone faults and sent it to other side of country.. Still both phones broken but now just sent to wrong owners, lol)

Yes, the IMEI is the same. I haven't checked with the box (I can't find it at the moment), but I checked with the retailer agreement. I don't know about S/N, I can check it later, but if IMEI is the same that means this is the same phone.

dvavajiva

Feb 4, 2014
They repaired your friends? Just had mine returned after they refused to repair mine as its rooted :(

Sorry, my mistake. My friends phone was not rooted, the same as mine before they have gone for repair. The difference is who take them for repair: official Samsung repair centre didn't 0x1 friends phone, authorised repair centre did mine.

Last edited:

dvavajiva

Feb 4, 2014
Hi again,
my phone has been at services twice already.

Firstly was Samsung official repair service, I posted phone in secure bag with a message explaining what happened, but after two weeks I got it back with notice "it is rooted, no warranty repair". They said, could do it for £150!

Secondly I found other official repair service, where you can bring the phone in person. That is Geek Squad in Carphone Warehouse stores, I found one in Glasgow, Scotland. The guys were very pleased to help, and promised that though the warranty is voided they are going to repair it.

They were going to fix it in three days, but unfortunately they couldn't find what cause the phone freeze up. What they done is sent it to their repair centre near Birmingham, but there phone was refused to be repaired because the same reason - warranty void. When I came to collect the phone in Glasgow on Saturday 8th of March I was able to speak to one of this guys and he explained me they can't make phone working properly. Even while talking with him phone was not responding sometimes and we had to take the battery off a few times. He gave the phone to other engineer to look up again. He opened it and stated that he didn't see any damage in the phone and couldn't actually find the fault, it seemed like the phone should work fine, but it is not. They have flashed my phone with Official Samsung's software (they couldn't change the Knox flag to 0x0) and sent me with it to the seller (Phones4U).

I have taken my phone home and the device was working fine for about two hours, it does that when is not so warm. I only wanted to check is it going to freeze up again. So I played some video to heat up the phone and it stopped responding again. I took off battery and left it overnight.

Next day afternoon I pick up my phone, power it on, and I was trying to check is it possible to update the software when it is official one (that might solve the problem). I could only see the message saying your device is modified, cannot update. I checked it in download mode, and the phone was back from official to custom software!
There was no my contribution in it. The phone did it itself.

So I can conclude that if phone is changing software status from official to custom when this fault comes out, it could also change the status of Knox Warranty Void from 0x0 to 0x1. If that is true, I will have a long way to prove that. But now I'm sure that no person is responsible for tripping the flag in this phone, that could be done by the phone itself.

That is very weird! That means Samsung is putting some extra security (KNOX) to their devices which can cause the phone to be out of warranty when some fault like overheating exists!

Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know if they can tell or not but you should insist they can - there should be certain files on there with a given date/time stamp. I can't imagine them implementing something like Knox without a log to track changes. Tell them to check the dates, give them the ones you have up above and insist they check to see when it was modded.

Does the UK have a forum like forums.whirlpool.net.au or maybe www.productreview.com.au? Many companies have reps that browse those sites to address concerns of customers, because they know such sites can have a dramatic effect on sales if the company gets slammed.
    So, finally the Phones4U is going to replace my phone. I will probably never know what happened with this phone.
    Thanks for the ideas about md5 sum, that might be the problem, because even phone is changing its status from official to custom it shouldn't trip the knox flag. I wish that is true so I am sure I will never lose my warranty when using the swapped new one.

As far as i know, with my experience, ANOVO service center is horrible when it comes to warranty repair. Samsung used to have a service center run by regenersis, they were absolutely brilliant. My friend owns a shop and i send so many phones in for repair to Samsung. Initially 3 years back i had problems with that service center and i asked Samsung to switch me some one else and they put me through to regenersis. From that day untill 2 months back , i never had a single complain against them in nearly 100's of warranty repair. I Feb this year samsung ended their contract with them and they are now back to ANOVO. and now i have again started to have problem.

Issues like you would send in your phones for repair without any physical damage and they would get rejected quoting some stupid excessive pressure and those lame excuses.

I have now switched to UNI-PART which is another authorized service center and they its still initial days before i can comment. But i would fore sure mill regenersis. HTC are still with regenersis and trust me guys the after sales services in UK at least is immaculate simply because of that service centre.

I voice my anger to samsung rep of ending their contract with regenersis but i can understand its Samsung's management decision and customer care has no say on it.

I think Samsung has shot themselves on their own foot by parting away with regenersis.

For me i would never go to ANOVO again whatever may happen.