Ouya vs Nvidia Shield

Search This thread

leomd333

Feb 20, 2013
The problem with comparing these...is that the sheild will cost allot more than ouya :p

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Near Kennedy Space Center, Florida
So OUYA is going to release a new Ouya annually. In that case they will always be one release behind what is new if not more. When they release a new Tegra 4 model it will be about time for the release of Tegra 5 or what ever they will call it. Somehow they need to find a way to time their hardware updates to the Tegra releases. Which seems to be on a yearly cycle. Another thought is that Nvidia Tegra may slow down their tegra updates because people may be willing to pay $100.00 for a new OUYA every year but I do not think many will be willing to part with $400.00 dollars for a new Nvidia Shield every year. And, of coure do not be surprised to see Quualcom get in on the console bandwagon. Just saying! :)

Last edited:

mancur

Feb 28, 2009
So OUYA is going to release a new Ouya annually. In that case they will always be one release behind what is new if not more. When they release a new Tegra 4 model it will be about time for the release of Tegra 5 or what ever they will call it. Somehow they need to find a way to time their hardware updates to the Tegra releases. Which seems to be on a yearly cycle. Another thought is that Nvidia Tegra may slow down their tegra updates because people may be willing to pay $100.00 for a new OUYA every year but I do not think many will be willing to part with $400.00 dollars for a new Nvidia Shield every year. And, of coure do not be surprised to see Quualcom get in on the console bandwagon. Just saying! :)
First, nVidia will not slow down their yearly Tegra updates, as they're in dire competition with Qualcomm, Samsung, and every other chip maker out there for design wins in phones and tablets. So, that's not a concern.

And, yes, if Ouya times their next year release correctly (mid-summer), they could actually jump directly to Tegra 5, instead of Tegra 4. I would hope that's obvious to Julie and others at Ouya.

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
First, nVidia will not slow down their yearly Tegra updates, as they're in dire competition with Qualcomm, Samsung, and every other chip maker out there for design wins in phones and tablets. So, that's not a concern.

And, yes, if Ouya times their next year release correctly (mid-summer), they could actually jump directly to Tegra 5, instead of Tegra 4. I would hope that's obvious to Julie and others at Ouya.

Are you thinking they (OUYA) may fore go a tegra 4 model and wait on the tegra 5 release?

mancur

Feb 28, 2009
Are you thinking they (OUYA) may fore go a tegra 4 model and wait on the tegra 5 release?
If I were Ouya, I'd hold off the release of the Ouya 2 until summer 2014, and go with a Tegra 5.

That would align it with the best of the current gen, rather than being 3/4 of a year behind.

But, I have no idea what they'll do.

gabe32

Sep 11, 2012
Mio, Michigan
If I were Ouya, I'd hold off the release of the Ouya 2 until summer 2014, and go with a Tegra 5.

That would align it with the best of the current gen, rather than being 3/4 of a year behind.

I hope they do the same as well. They should work on getting the next one compatible with the Tegra 5 chip and just pop it in and release it for production, once they are allowed access the the supply chain.

zener773

Oct 6, 2007

Obviously, Ouya doesn't need to break any sales records. It just needs to sell relatively well. If it does that, it guarantees their second generation console. On the other hand, given the Shield's higher cost, anything less than a home run could be consider a flop. As buzz for the PS4 and Xbox720 builds up, persuading consumers to spend more than $200 for a mobile console will become a very steep mountain to climb. In addition, except for game streaming, Nvidia's Shield does not offer anything different that a tablet or smartphone cannot deliver. Nvidia's Shield is no different than a PS portable unit and last time I checked, Sony is not exactly breaking sales records with their PS Vita. The mobile console is dying. My prediction? Look forward for Ouya to incorporate Steam game streaming functionality along with a Tegra 5 into their 2nd gen console when all is said and done.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Jklaz

Oct 31, 2012
Does the Nvidia Shield require you to have a powerful computer? And can it be displayed on a larger display like a tv? Otherwise I'd go OUYA since the Nvidia seems just like a powerful phone-ish gaming platform

bb12489

Jul 2, 2008
Cazenovia
OnePlus 9 Pro
Generally speaking about the PC games being streamed.....

The Tegra 3 in the OUYA has the same capability that the Tegra 4 has. It can decode H.264 content. From what I've read, this is how an Nvidia powered gaming PC transmits it's streaming data to Shield via encoded H.264. Theoretically any GPU whether it's AMD or Nvidia, mobile or otherwise should be able to stream games to an OUYA/Tegra 3/4, etc, etc. Of course this is all locked down at the driver level and branded as an Nvidia proprietary tech.

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
I have aTegra 3 processor (T30L)and the mali 400 GPU. We have managed to oc to 1.9 and have the GPU up to 650 easily. All done with a custom rom and custom kernel. So I am sure we will be able to do this with the OUYA because it will have the Tegra 3 (T34) processor With a hugh fan on it.

UnOfficiallyDNG

Mar 10, 2013

OUYA isn't leading edge hardware and that is reflected in the price, the Tagra 4 chip is available now and I should think OUYA has been working on on the Tegra 4 version for a while

Stark (Tagra 5?) is going to be 64bit and a different instruction set so a little (a lot?) more involved in that upgrade

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Obviously, Ouya doesn't need to break any sales records. It just needs to sell relatively well. If it does that, it guarantees their second generation console. On the other hand, given the Shield's higher cost, anything less than a home run could be consider a flop. As buzz for the PS4 and Xbox720 builds up, persuading consumers to spend more than $200 for a mobile console will become a very steep mountain to climb. In addition, except for game streaming, Nvidia's Shield does not offer anything different that a tablet or smartphone cannot deliver. Nvidia's Shield is no different than a PS portable unit and last time I checked, Sony is not exactly breaking sales records with their PS Vita. The mobile console is dying. My prediction? Look forward for Ouya to incorporate Steam game streaming functionality along with a Tegra 5 into their 2nd gen console when all is said and done

OUYA must have exceeded all expectations for sales a few days after it went live on kickstarter, they needed $950K and got $8.5 million

Like I said in the last post, I can't see them skipping Tegra 4, it's almost certainly already in development (they already had a prototype A9 OUYA before they went to kickstarter) and Tegra 5 will be expensive next year, I should think in short supply

At what stage is android with 64bit ARMv8 instruction set?

zener773

Oct 6, 2007
OUYA isn't leading edge hardware and that is reflected in the price, the Tagra 4 chip is available now and I should think OUYA has been working on on the Tegra 4 version for a while

Stark (Tagra 5?) is going to be 64bit and a different instruction set so a little (a lot?) more involved in that upgrade

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

OUYA must have exceeded all expectations for sales a few days after it went live on kickstarter, they needed $950K and got $8.5 million

Like I said in the last post, I can't see them skipping Tegra 4, it's almost certainly already in development (they already had a prototype A9 OUYA before they went to kickstarter) and Tegra 5 will be expensive next year, I should think in short supply

At what stage is android with 64bit ARMv8 instruction set?

Typo... Meant to say Tegra 4. No need for Ouya to change their formula and complicate things.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    youre trying to compair a 100$ tv connected box with a 500$ handheld system. Its like compairing the wii from yesteryear to the psvita. Two completely different things. The ouya will be powerfull enough to do basic things but supposedly there will be a better one next year with the new Tegra chipset.
    Why would I want to stream games? I'd need the hardware in my PC to do so and at that point...why am I not gaming on my gaming desktop? The logic doesn't follow with that at all.
    I personally think that Nvidia shield is better than this one. With the shield, you can stream your PC games on it.

Well, i agree with you. Remember that you' ll need an NVIDIA graphics card to do that "magic" trick :cyclops:
    The Tegra 3 in the OUYA is going to be more powerful than the ones found in mobile devices because that there is no power constraint.
    are two different devices too ...