[HOW TO] Unbricking/Restoring your Kindle Fire

Search This thread

ubeezee

Aug 13, 2011
UPDATE: It has come to my attention that zergRush root has been patched and no longer works on the most resent updates. At the moment I haven't checked to see what to use to replace it. I would advise anyone who is needing to unbrick your device to go over to this thread started by Vashypooh: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1399889. It is the Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.1 and has options to unbrick your kindle fire among many other great features. Please try his utility out as I have not been keeping up with this thread much over the holidays.

My kindle fire was stuck in a bootloop/bricked (info on what was going on prior to fixing: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1355371) after some complications when trying to install google apps. I may of deleted system files, really not sure what happened at this point. Anyway, this is what finally fixed it. This will get your device to the just out of the box state. Just follow along with the commands. I documented as much as I could, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps anyone whos Kindle Fire wont boot up!

For this to work you will need fastboot and zergRush root
get fastboot here: http://multiupload.com/TPWBYSCGM7
details on how fastboot works: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Fastboot
zergRush root: http://rootkindlefire.com/kindle-fire-root/how-to-root-kindle-fire/
->zergRush should be in the folder called files when extracted
Also make sure your device is charged, this will save you some time at the end!

I most likely not respond to private messages. This is a general thread so anyone can post here. It is beneficial to others since they may be experiencing the same problems as you. Being in my inbox wont help anyone.

***DISCLAIMER***: This process may not work for everyone! It really does depend on what you did to brick your kindle fire!! Also please consider thinking twice about messing with your device again after you fix it. Unless, of course, you think you can fix it on your own or are an advanced user.

PS: Read other peoples posts! Many have posted a lot of useful information, please use this to your advantage before asking questions!

PPS:What you did to brick your device is probably not unique. in order to prevent this thread from annoying those trying to help and from getting too long, we may ignore posts that ask questions or ask for solutions that have already been asked. If you don't get a reply within 24 hours, your problem probably falls under this.

PPPS:If the directions don't work and you don't see a solution in this thread already then you probably bricked your device beyond this way of recovery and need to seek other ways. If you are still having troubles please post a DESCRIPTIVE (pictures, links, anything and everything you did to get where you are at now) question/post with the problems you are facing and we can try and help you. Thank you.

---------------------------------------///------------------------------------

Hard reset may work for some people - hold power button for ~20 seconds and turn back on. If it doesn't then proceed:

How to begin the how-to using cmd:

1. Download the files you need and stick them in your C:\ directory

2. stick fastboot in C:\KindleFireRoot\files directory

3. open cmd (command prompt)

4. navigate to the files directory on your C:\ drive
should look similar to this:

Code:
C:\users\userName>cd C:\KindleFireRoot\files

5. now you are in the kindleFireRoot\files directoryshould look something like this:

Code:
C:\KindleFireRoot\files>

Now you can start following the directions in the how-to and type exactly what you see to the right of the $ and # symbols. You should see them but do not type another one next to what you already see.

IF YOU THINK MODIFYING PERMISSIONS ON /system/app IS WHAT CAUSED YOUR DEVICE TO BOOTLOOP THEN FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
check your permissions first
Code:
adb shell
 ls -l /system/

they should look like:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x root root 1970-01-01 00:00 lost+found
 drw-r-xr-x root root 2011-11-29 12:31 app
 drwxr-xr-x root shell 2011-11-16 03:03 bin
 -rw-r--r-- root root 2144 2008-08-01 12:00 build.prop
 drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 etc
 drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 fonts
 drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 framework
 drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 lib
 drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 media
 drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 tts
 drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 usr
 drwxr-xr-x root shell 2011-11-16 03:03 vendor
 drwxr-xr-x root shell 2011-11-29 12:31 xbin

if yours do not look like this then continute:

follow the steps to temp root FIRST(steps 1 and 2 below)!

AFTER you temp root:
Code:
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
chmod 755 /system/app
then reboot

Note: this can work with any directory that has permissions messed up

IF YOU CHANGED WALLPAPERS/THEME AND BRICKED YOUR DEVICE BY MESSING WITH FRAMEWORK-RES.APK TRY THIS:
if you have adb active, try

adb shell ls -l /system/framework/framework-res.apk

if you dont see it show permissions as rw-r--r--
temp root (steps 1 and 2) first then run:

adb shell mount -o remount rw /system
adb shell chown root /system/framework/framework-res.apk
adb shell chmod 644 /system/framework/framework-res.apk
adb shell mount -o remount ro /system
adb reboot

if that does not work, then you need to go back to the old file, get it from the amazon update (download the update from their site and unzip it with 7zip or winrar, ignore the fact it's called bin and just rename it if you don't know how to do it otherwise to .zip).

then run

adb push framework-res.apk /data/local/tmp
adb shell mv /data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
adb reboot

IF NONE OF THE ABOVE APPLIES TO YOU THEN DO THESE STEPS:

//Step 1: push zergRush on the device then run chmod 755 on zergRush
Code:
$ adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp

$ adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/zergRush

//Step 2: temp root
Code:
$ adb shell
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
$ cd data/local
cd data/local
$ cd tmp
cd tmp
$ ls
ls
boomsh
zergRush
sh
$ rm sh boomsh [B]Remove everything but zergRush here, it will not matter if yours is missing/out of order compared to mine[/B]
rm sh boomsh
$ ./zergRush 
./zergRush

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
[**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00015118
[*] Scooting ...
[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
[+] Zerglings found a way to enter ! 0x10
[+] Overseer found a path ! 0x000151e0
[+] Zerglings caused crash (good news): 0x40119cd4 0x0054
[*] Researching Metabolic Boost ...
[+] Speedlings on the go ! 0xafd195cb 0xafd3937f
[*] Popping 24 more zerglings
[*] Sending 173 zerglings ...

[+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !
[+] Killing ADB and restarting as root... enjoy!

//Step 3: reboot into fastboot
//note: 4002 for fastboot

Code:
$ adb shell
# cd /system/bin
cd /system/bin 
# idme bootmode 4002 
idme bootmode 4002
<idme> write 4002 to offset 0x1000
# reboot
reboot

//Step 4: clear user data and cache using fastboot
//note: 0x1949 is the device-id for the kindle so fastboot can recognize it

Code:
$ fastboot -i 0x1949 -w //this part might take a while
erasing 'userdata'... OKAY [110.203s]
erasing 'cache'... OKAY [ 28.328s]
finished. total time: 138.531s

//Step 5: change back to normal boot mode in fastboot
//note: 4000 is for normal boot

Code:
$ fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000
... OKAY [ 0.219s]
finished. total time: 0.219s

//Step 6: use fastboot to restart kindle fire
Code:
$ fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
rebooting...
finished. total time: 0.016s

At this point the kindle hit splash screen for a few minutes then told me that my device needed to be charged (was at 13%) to continue. **So make sure your device is charged**, otherwise you will have to wait about 20-30 minutes depending on your charge %. The amber light finally came on while connected to PC which it wasn't doing before so this was a good sign.

After it was charged enough the next step stated: "Your kindle has detected a problem and must clear app storage.The recovery precess will erase some applications and data from your device. Apps from the appstore are stored in the cloud and can be reinstalled later. This will reset your kindle to its original factory settings. You will need to re-register your kindle prior to downloading items from your amazon account. Please press power button to proceed"

After you press the power button it shows a progress bar, reboots, hits splash screen for a few minutes then takes you to set up your Kindle Fire account YAYYYY!

Last edited:

bjanice44

May 7, 2009
unbricking from recovery

I am going to try the method for unbricking, but not sure it will work on mine. My fire is stuck on the boot screen where it has a long message saying there is a problem with the fire and that it needs to restore the apps and bring it back to default.

It then says to press the power button continue with the restore. Then it completes, says success, then reboots right back into the same message screen all over again.

When I adb devices I get "firexxxxxSN recovery"
I am hoping fastboot can help me or perhaps I need to re-image recovery or boot.

What happened was this. I tried to follow a method to change my wallpapers using metamorph. I followed all the steps then started getting theme errors and such while in the kindle. I rebooted and was stuck in the bootloop as described here.

Being the novice I am, I thought I could then copy over a fresh copy of "system" from the fire system dump that was posted. I did this and this is where I am now.

Any help would be appreciated. It might be a good idea for us to figure this one out so that we have the procedure.

bjanice44

May 7, 2009
Hi, assuming your responding to me, whats idme? Right now I cant get root just a bootloop. And when I adb devices I get my device serial # recovery where is normally says device serial # device

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Here is the exact message I get on the screen:
'Your Kindle has detected a problem and must clear app storage. The recovery process will erase some applications and data from your device. Apps from the appstore are stored in the cloud and can be reinstalled later.

This will reset your kindle to its original factory settings. you will need to re-register your kindle prior to downloading items from your Amazon account.

Please press power button to proceed.'

After i press the power button I get a status bar indicating the restore, it then says success, then reboots and ultimately comes back to the same restore screen as noted above.

Any help is appreciated.

bjanice44

May 7, 2009
Hey, can you please tell me how you get into fastboot? I went to the wiki and did everything it said there but am stuck because I am getting stuck on step 5

Boot device into bootloader - How do I do this? Is this simply powering on the fire?
Make sure the device is in FASTBOOT and not HBOOT - same question

md202000

Mar 4, 2011
Wow, I'm so glad I found this! You just may be my life/job saver. I'm going to try this right now and reply with status.

Reactions: ubeezee

md202000

Mar 4, 2011
Done! Thanks ubeezee your awesomeness knows no boundaries. I owe you big-time:D! I'ma gonna buy you a whole case of beers. :):)

yareally

Feb 19, 2011
codingcreation.com
I'm getting "zergRush: permission denied" any help?

Can you give more explanation (i.e. what you were doing beforehand)?

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Hey, can you please tell me how you get into fastboot? I went to the wiki and did everything it said there but am stuck because I am getting stuck on step 5

Boot device into bootloader - How do I do this? Is this simply powering on the fire?
Make sure the device is in FASTBOOT and not HBOOT - same question

Don't rely on the wiki directions...those are meant for other devices (particularly phones). Just do the steps listed in the OP in that order. You won't get some screen that explicitly says FASTBOOT. You'll just assume you are there because fastboot commands will work (and the fact you told the device to go into fastboot before rebooting it through bootmode idme).

Hi, assuming your responding to me, whats idme? Right now I cant get root just a bootloop.

Just because you have a bootloop, does not imply you cannot do things like run adb. You need to run "adb shell" with the kindle plugged into the computer and then push over the zergRush exploit and get root and then switch the mode to FASTBOOT. You cannot as far as I know get into FASTBOOT on the device unless you are able to tell it to through temp rooting and adb first.

But since you can get root, try clearing the /data/dalvik-cache by hand & reboot.. much quicker than a full userdata wipe.

From trying that with ubeezee, it did nothing to help on its own. It took clearing out all user data to trigger a restore that did something useful.

Last edited:

ubeezee

Aug 13, 2011
I am going to try the method for unbricking, but not sure it will work on mine. My fire is stuck on the boot screen where it has a long message saying there is a problem with the fire and that it needs to restore the apps and bring it back to default.

It then says to press the power button continue with the restore. Then it completes, says success, then reboots right back into the same message screen all over again.

When I adb devices I get "firexxxxxSN recovery"
I am hoping fastboot can help me or perhaps I need to re-image recovery or boot.

What happened was this. I tried to follow a method to change my wallpapers using metamorph. I followed all the steps then started getting theme errors and such while in the kindle. I rebooted and was stuck in the bootloop as described here.

Being the novice I am, I thought I could then copy over a fresh copy of "system" from the fire system dump that was posted. I did this and this is where I am now.

Any help would be appreciated. It might be a good idea for us to figure this one out so that we have the procedure.

Did you try it out?

dingo8baby

Nov 14, 2010
i got to step 3 and there is no animation over the letters, so i think i am in fastboot, but i can not access the shell anymore. it appears my device is not being seen by adb? evn at a cmd prompt i tried fastboot devices and that shows nothing either.

any advice?

yareally

Feb 19, 2011
codingcreation.com
i got to step 3 and there is no animation over the letters, so i think i am in fastboot, but i can not access the shell anymore. it appears my device is not being seen by adb? evn at a cmd prompt i tried fastboot devices and that shows nothing either.

any advice?

I'm not totally sure what you mean. Are you trying to access adb while in fastboot? Because that will not work.

When you're in fastboot, you don't use adb, you use fastboot commands to wipe all the user data (see the reference link in the OP for the commands that work on fastboot and note that it's nothing like adb). Fastboot runs a much lower level than anything you access in adb--it's like being in the BIOS for your computer more or less. It wont show "devices" or anything like that unless you explicitly run the "fastboot -i 0x1949 devices" command (I didn't bother to run that command on the kindle, I just jumped ahead and had it wiped using fastboot, since it didn't really matter if it detected it or not).

However, even if you don't run that command to show devices, you'll know it works when you run the fastboot command to wipe data and it gives you a reply. If it doesn't give a reply and just hangs, then you weren't in fastboot (or you typed the command wrong) and need to try again (press ctrl+c to cancel the command, but just FYI, it takes 3-5 minutes for it to wipe all data, so be patient before canceling).

Last edited:

ubeezee

Aug 13, 2011

any advice?

Like yareally said, you should move on to step 4 if you are in fastboot. The only time you will need to access adb shell is when it says on the instructions.

dingo8baby

Nov 14, 2010
ok, i'm sorry if i wasn't clear.
I saw the $ prompt, so I assumed the commands were run in a adb shell.

If i run the fastboot commands in a cmd window, this is the output:

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot -i 0x1949 -w
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
update <filename> reflash device from update.zip
flashall 'flash boot' + 'flash system'
flash <partition> [ <filename> ] write a file to a flash partition
erase <partition> erase a flash partition
getvar <variable> display a bootloader variable
boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] download and boot kernel
flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] create bootimage and flash it
devices list all connected devices
reboot reboot device normally
reboot-bootloader reboot device into bootloader

options:
-w erase userdata and cache
-s <serial number> specify device serial number
-p <product> specify product name
-c <cmdline> override kernel commandline

ubeezee

Aug 13, 2011

commands:

options:

I'm a bit confused as to what you are doing. What were you using before to enter commands? Whatever you were using that got you to step 3, was what you need to use. There should always be $ infront of your commands.

Oh I just saw the problem, the fastboot your using is out of date. Theres no -i command. I think the one that I linked was out of date too.. I'll upload the one I have which is the most current and link it on the main post. Sorry about that! So just start over after you update fastboot using whatever you were using before to enter commands that got you into fastboot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: It has come to my attention that zergRush root has been patched and no longer works on the most resent updates. At the moment I haven't checked to see what to use to replace it. I would advise anyone who is needing to unbrick your device to go over to this thread started by Vashypooh: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1399889. It is the Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.1 and has options to unbrick your kindle fire among many other great features. Please try his utility out as I have not been keeping up with this thread much over the holidays.

My kindle fire was stuck in a bootloop/bricked (info on what was going on prior to fixing: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1355371) after some complications when trying to install google apps. I may of deleted system files, really not sure what happened at this point. Anyway, this is what finally fixed it. This will get your device to the just out of the box state. Just follow along with the commands. I documented as much as I could, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps anyone whos Kindle Fire wont boot up!

For this to work you will need fastboot and zergRush root
    get fastboot here: http://multiupload.com/TPWBYSCGM7
    details on how fastboot works: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Fastboot
    zergRush root: http://rootkindlefire.com/kindle-fire-root/how-to-root-kindle-fire/
    ->zergRush should be in the folder called files when extracted
    Also make sure your device is charged, this will save you some time at the end!

I most likely not respond to private messages. This is a general thread so anyone can post here. It is beneficial to others since they may be experiencing the same problems as you. Being in my inbox wont help anyone.

***DISCLAIMER***: This process may not work for everyone! It really does depend on what you did to brick your kindle fire!! Also please consider thinking twice about messing with your device again after you fix it. Unless, of course, you think you can fix it on your own or are an advanced user.

PS: Read other peoples posts! Many have posted a lot of useful information, please use this to your advantage before asking questions!

PPS:What you did to brick your device is probably not unique. in order to prevent this thread from annoying those trying to help and from getting too long, we may ignore posts that ask questions or ask for solutions that have already been asked. If you don't get a reply within 24 hours, your problem probably falls under this.

PPPS:If the directions don't work and you don't see a solution in this thread already then you probably bricked your device beyond this way of recovery and need to seek other ways. If you are still having troubles please post a DESCRIPTIVE (pictures, links, anything and everything you did to get where you are at now) question/post with the problems you are facing and we can try and help you. Thank you.

Hard reset may work for some people - hold power button for ~20 seconds and turn back on. If it doesn't then proceed:

How to begin the how-to using cmd:

1. Download the files you need and stick them in your C:\ directory

2. stick fastboot in C:\KindleFireRoot\files directory

3. open cmd (command prompt)

4. navigate to the files directory on your C:\ drive
    should look similar to this:

Code:
    C:\users\userName>cd C:\KindleFireRoot\files

5. now you are in the kindleFireRoot\files directoryshould look something like this:

Code:
    C:\KindleFireRoot\files>

Now you can start following the directions in the how-to and type exactly what you see to the right of the $ and # symbols. You should see them but do not type another one next to what you already see.

IF YOU THINK MODIFYING PERMISSIONS ON /system/app IS WHAT CAUSED YOUR DEVICE TO BOOTLOOP THEN FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
    check your permissions first
    Code:
    adb shell
     ls -l /system/

they should look like:
    Code:
    drwxr-xr-x root root 1970-01-01 00:00 lost+found
     drw-r-xr-x root root 2011-11-29 12:31 app
     drwxr-xr-x root shell 2011-11-16 03:03 bin
     -rw-r--r-- root root 2144 2008-08-01 12:00 build.prop
     drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 etc
     drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 fonts
     drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 framework
     drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 lib
     drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 media
     drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 tts
     drwxr-xr-x root root 2011-11-16 03:03 usr
     drwxr-xr-x root shell 2011-11-16 03:03 vendor
     drwxr-xr-x root shell 2011-11-29 12:31 xbin

if yours do not look like this then continute:

follow the steps to temp root FIRST(steps 1 and 2 below)!

AFTER you temp root:
    Code:
    adb shell
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    chmod 755 /system/app
    then reboot

Note: this can work with any directory that has permissions messed up

IF YOU CHANGED WALLPAPERS/THEME AND BRICKED YOUR DEVICE BY MESSING WITH FRAMEWORK-RES.APK TRY THIS:
    if you have adb active, try

adb shell ls -l /system/framework/framework-res.apk

if you dont see it show permissions as rw-r--r--
    temp root (steps 1 and 2) first then run:

adb shell mount -o remount ro /system
    adb reboot

if that does not work, then you need to go back to the old file, get it from the amazon update (download the update from their site and unzip it with 7zip or winrar, ignore the fact it's called bin and just rename it if you don't know how to do it otherwise to .zip).

then run

adb push framework-res.apk /data/local/tmp
    adb shell mv /data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    adb reboot

IF NONE OF THE ABOVE APPLIES TO YOU THEN DO THESE STEPS:

//Step 1: push zergRush on the device then run chmod 755 on zergRush
    Code:
    $ adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp

$ adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/zergRush

//Step 2: temp root
    Code:
    $ adb shell
    adb server is out of date. killing...
    * daemon started successfully *
    $ cd data/local
    cd data/local
    $ cd tmp
    cd tmp
    $ ls
    ls
    boomsh
    zergRush
    sh
    $ rm sh boomsh [B]Remove everything but zergRush here, it will not matter if yours is missing/out of order compared to mine[/B]
    rm sh boomsh
    $ ./zergRush 
    ./zergRush

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
    [**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00015118
    [*] Scooting ...
    [+] Zerglings found a way to enter ! 0x10
    [+] Overseer found a path ! 0x000151e0
    [+] Zerglings caused crash (good news): 0x40119cd4 0x0054
    [*] Researching Metabolic Boost ...
    [+] Speedlings on the go ! 0xafd195cb 0xafd3937f
    [*] Popping 24 more zerglings
    [*] Sending 173 zerglings ...

[+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !
    [+] Killing ADB and restarting as root... enjoy!

//Step 3: reboot into fastboot
    //note: 4002 for fastboot

Code:
    $ adb shell
    # cd /system/bin
    cd /system/bin 
    # idme bootmode 4002 
    idme bootmode 4002
    <idme> write 4002 to offset 0x1000
    # reboot
    reboot

//Step 4: clear user data and cache using fastboot
    //note: 0x1949 is the device-id for the kindle so fastboot can recognize it

Code:
    $ fastboot -i 0x1949 -w //this part might take a while
    erasing 'userdata'... OKAY [110.203s]
    erasing 'cache'... OKAY [ 28.328s]
    finished. total time: 138.531s

//Step 5: change back to normal boot mode in fastboot
    //note: 4000 is for normal boot

Code:
    $ fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000
    ... OKAY [ 0.219s]
    finished. total time: 0.219s

//Step 6: use fastboot to restart kindle fire
    Code:
    $ fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
    rebooting...
    finished. total time: 0.016s

At this point the kindle hit splash screen for a few minutes then told me that my device needed to be charged (was at 13%) to continue. **So make sure your device is charged**, otherwise you will have to wait about 20-30 minutes depending on your charge %. The amber light finally came on while connected to PC which it wasn't doing before so this was a good sign.

After it was charged enough the next step stated: "Your kindle has detected a problem and must clear app storage.The recovery precess will erase some applications and data from your device. Apps from the appstore are stored in the cloud and can be reinstalled later. This will reset your kindle to its original factory settings. You will need to re-register your kindle prior to downloading items from your amazon account. Please press power button to proceed"

After you press the power button it shows a progress bar, reboots, hits splash screen for a few minutes then takes you to set up your Kindle Fire account YAYYYY!
    Just a suggestion but perhaps one of the mods could move this to the developer's forum (or sticky it and make the links have http:// in front)? The OP could not post it there since they do not have 10 posts yet, but they're a friend of mine and we worked together to unbrick their device.
    attachment.php

I have gone thur all the posts and haven't been able to get into the shell portion of the steps to work. I can connect to my device, drivers are ok, no errors. Another drive appears under "My Computer", the icon is shaded out and unaccessable, but there. When I go into the cmd, I can see that my device is connected, I can perform "adb reboot", device reboots, but thats it. Not able to get into the shell portion. I have also tried fastboot, not luck either.

Please help.....

Pretty sure you're screwed. You basically screwed up the permissions on /system/bin and that cannot be fixed. Others have done it in this thread as well if you read carefully.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

How do i tell adb to show me app dir?

The same way you were for the other directories you listed, only with /system/app?

-----------------------------

I just wanted to thank everyone that appreciated the tutorial and the help so far that the OP and I have provided. Just wanted to post a quick note about the topic....

Kindle Fire recovery/unbricking questions that are not specific (e.g. "How do i do this tutorial to begin with because I am a total noob") I cannot keep answering (and probably not the OP). Perhaps some of the people we've helped will start to step it up more and help those that are in need. It would be nice if some more did (I know some have and I thank those that reply to those still in need). So I guess all I am asking is people, "help us help you". If you need help, be EXPLICIT (give every detail possible and not ONE LINE posts). If you want us to help you with your "noobness," help us with our "noobness" in terms of understanding what you did to your device.

Mainly it would be easier to fix a lot of issues just going on teamviewer with someone and doing it, but I don't have the time to do that. Please just read, research and attempt to do exactly what the OP and I have mentioned guys and you'll be okay. Deviate from that and you're on you're own.

This is not a rant or anything--just a way to explain that I feel we're going in circles here and it's hard to answer everyone's question appropriately (and I try to make an effort to reply as much as I can). I would love to help everyone, but it's mostly been a two person operation in this thread (myself and the OP). We're both Computer Science students and have busy schedules, but we try to make time to help out when we can :)
    I am going to palce this here, but I make NO clames about is effectiveness at the moment, please keep in mind I have no kindle fire atm, so its hard for me to test this by hand, so most of this was done by memory / reading this post.

The procedures and everything I have done here are not my own, all I did was attempt to put a more user friendly face on it.

Here is a quick rundown on how it is designed to work:

1. ZergRush; You will want to try and get the ADB shell root access for every other option in the menu, so start with #1 if you do not have it in root already.
    2. Repair Permissions; This option will try to repair the system/app and the framework-res.apk and ensure that they are okay. (If other things need permission checking ubeezee & yareally let me know, we can add them in
    3. Wipe Data; loads into fastboot and attempts to nuke data and cache.
    4. Obtain KF Update.zip; This will go out to amazon and download the update.zip and extract it locally into \update_extract\ so all the files are available directly from amazon.
    5. Replace framework-res.apk; This will replace it and correct permission errors on the apk using the stock download from amazon.
    6. Factory reset; This will completely attempt to revert the KF to stock using the trick I used. This should be a last resort.

I would love feedback from anyone who gives it a whirl. I can continue to make it better for everyone and easier. Hope this helps at-least one person :)

Kindle_Fire_Debricker_v2.zip

commands:

options:

I'm a bit confused as to what you are doing. What were you using before to enter commands? Whatever you were using that got you to step 3, was what you need to use. There should always be $ infront of your commands.

Oh I just saw the problem, the fastboot your using is out of date. Theres no -i command. I think the one that I linked was out of date too.. I'll upload the one I have which is the most current and link it on the main post. Sorry about that! So just start over after you update fastboot using whatever you were using before to enter commands that got you into fastboot.