Karbonn A21: All Things Root thread

A21 users only, Are you satisfied with the performance of Karbonn A21?

• Yes, the dual core processor makes it snappy.

Votes: 67 60.9%
  • No, I felt cheated :(

Votes: 43 39.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

droidiser

May 24, 2011
Haryana
www.droidiser.com
Karbonn A21 is a hell of a smartphone powered by a mighty Dual-core snapdragon processor which clocks at 1.2 GHz. The phone is priced at INR 10,499 and is available for around INR 500-1000 less than the MRP. The snapdragon processor ensures lagless performance of the device and is able to handle the 480x800 resolution of the device. The only drawback is the 400 MB ram that's available to the end user. The tagline for the device says: "Style meets Technolgy" and the device indeed looks stylish and gives a premium feeling. Just if this device had packed 1 GB ram, it would have been a killer combo of specs and price.

karbonn-a21-400x400-imadehgthpenfphr.jpeg

Other specs of this device include:
5 MP back camera
1.3 MP front camera
4.5 Inch capacitive screen
External Memory: Upto 32 GB
Internal Memory: 4 GB
Sales Package: Handset, Charger, Battery, warranty card, headset
RAM is being reported to be 1 GB by many websites, I would want anyone having the device to confirm that.
1800 mAH battery
5 HRs. talktime, 200 HRs. standby
Dual SIM, Dual standby

Rooting Guide (thanks jgsolo27):
Available here.

Video Reviews by iGyaan:
Unboxing of Karbonn A21
Hardware Review
Full review

Scrrenshots revealing the specs are attached below. Thanks Gagan330

xda member Eklovya had offered to compile cwm from sources. If you are rooted, pm him.

I shall keep this thread updated. Let your feedback and questions about the device pour below.

Attachments

• karbonn-a21-battery-benchmark.jpg
    karbonn-a21-battery-benchmark.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 4,190
  • karbonn-a21-cpu-benchmark.jpg
    karbonn-a21-cpu-benchmark.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,999
  • karbonn-a21-screen-resolution-benchmark.jpg
    karbonn-a21-screen-resolution-benchmark.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 2,394
  • karbonn-a21-memory-benchmark.jpg
    karbonn-a21-memory-benchmark.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,938
  • karbonn-a21-camera-resolution-benchmark.jpg
    karbonn-a21-camera-resolution-benchmark.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,936
  • karbonn-a21-sensors-benchmark.jpg
    karbonn-a21-sensors-benchmark.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,718
Last edited:

maheshpk

Feb 23, 2008
Chennai
A21 just 386MB RAM Usable

Dear Friends,

I purchased a Karbonn A21 after rave reviews by many websites. I felt Cheated when i checked its ram and found it to be only 386MB.. It has an internal memory of 580.8 MB only. It has a DUAL CORE 1.2 GHZ processor though...

Reactions: droidiser

jgsolo27

Sep 20, 2008
Puducherry
Phone Rooted!!

Dear Friends,

Today I successfully rooted my phone. Will let you all, who are interested, to know the procedure and upload the driver files and unlock root tool.

Credits to my son "itzmiandy" of Phandroid Forum, who guided me. :good:

coolsandie

Oct 22, 2011
Kochi, Kerala
coolsandie.github.io
The RAM and camera is the only let down of this device. Check iGyaan's youtube channel for hands-on video review.

Other than that the pros are, its resolution is qHD 540x960 (First budget phone to get this, rest other phones are WVGA 480x800), dual-core CPU, greater build quality.

nikhilrathi10

Jun 21, 2012
Dear Friends,

Today I successfully rooted my phone. Will let you all, who are interested, to know the procedure and upload the driver files and unlock root tool.

Hey Jgsolo27, it would be really helpful if you can provide the guide to root it...also, I am unable to find the drivers for this phone..plz provide the details from where you have downloaded those..

rohith86

Oct 16, 2012
Trivandrum
Phone requires more RAM

The phone is needs more RAM..
My camera, browser, video-player crashes often..

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Dear Friends,

I am interested, Friend. :)

altruist101

Oct 23, 2012
Guys I'm really seeking answer to this question. Is anyone able to play HD videos on this mobile? I've tried the MX player with arm v7 codecs and the mobo player but all HD videos above and including 1080x540 resolution are lagging heavily.

I'll be grateful for an answer since the max resolution which its playing without any lag is 960x540 which is screen resolution.

Is there any way to play HD videos on this?

droidiser

May 24, 2011
Haryana
www.droidiser.com
Dear Friends,

Hi there
Everyone here is waiting for a reply from you. Please post the method you used to root your phone. That will help many a people here.

jgsolo27

Sep 20, 2008
Puducherry
Driver files ahd Root Tool!!

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Hey Jgsolo27, it would be really helpful if you can provide the guide to root it...also, I am unable to find the drivers for this phone..plz provide the details from where you have downloaded those..

Hi there
Everyone here is waiting for a reply from you. Please post the method you used to root your phone. That will help many a people here.

Hi Friends,

The required driver files are attached. Open the Zip file and save the Driver file folder and the UnlockRoot Tool in your Desktop.
Connect the phone to your PC and install the drivers.
Once the drivers are successfully installed you phone is ready to be rooted.

Now click open the UnlockRoot Tool and when it's installed (you may have to temporarily disable your antivirus) click the "ROOT" button.
It may say that your phone is already rooted, ignore and press the "ROOT" button. Wait until the process is completed and the phone is rebooted. Now you have your phone rooted. Check with "Root Explorer" or any other application you have.

Note that "Rooting" will void your Warranty and you are doing it at your own risk!!

You are most welcome to hit the Thanks Button.

nikhilrathi10

Jun 21, 2012
Hi Friends,

The required driver files are attached. Open the Zip file and save the Driver file folder and the UnlockRoot Tool in your Desktop.

Now click open the UnlockRoot Tool and when it's installed (you may have to temporarily disable your antivirus) click the "ROOT" button.
It may say that your phone is already rooted, ignore and press the "ROOT" button. Wait until the process is completed and the phone is rebooted. Now you have your phone rooted. Check with "Root Explorer" or any other application you have.

Note that "Rooting" will void your Warranty and you are doing it at your own risk!!

Thanks for the details jgsolo27..will try to root when I will reach home...

gagan330

Jul 29, 2012
video playback

Guys I'm really seeking answer to this question. Is anyone able to play HD videos on this mobile? I've tried the MX player with arm v7 codecs and the mobo player but all HD videos above and including 1080x540 resolution are lagging heavily.

I'll be grateful for an answer since the max resolution which its playing without any lag is 960x540 which is screen resolution.

Is there any way to play HD videos on this?

I used AVC converter to do the job it did it sucessfully but the size of the file became very large ..Just tryng to find out a way to make it small..
The settings for the AVC (all video converter )are in the attachment .
Use MX Player to run on software decoding

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:

altruist101

Oct 23, 2012
I used AVC converter to do the job it did it sucessfully but the size of the file became very large ..Just tryng to find out a way to make it small..
The settings for the AVC (all video converter )are in the attachment .
Use MX Player to run on software decoding

Thank you so much for the reply. I was thinking if there is some way to play HD videos without converting
them. If conversion is unavoidable, we'd rather down convert it to its screen resolution which keeps the size small too. Coming to MX player, I've tried both h/w and s/w codecs but in h/w codecs not all formats supported, only audio plays whereas with s/w codecs there is heavy lag. I've also installed MX player codecs for arm V7 neon but still lot of sync loss and pathetic frame rates. Kindly request everyone to solve this problem so that we can play all HD videos without converting them.

ssundar.cse

Oct 24, 2012
pc suit

Hi ,

I have KarboonA21 , would like to have a pc suite kind of software for the same. tired Moborobo its not working for A21

Can you please suggest a similar software for the same.

Thanks in Advance .
regards,
Sundar.S
Hi Friends,

gagan330

Jul 29, 2012
Thanks jgsolo27:)

Pls. try and give us your feedback. There shouldn't be any problem.

Next is to get a working CWM Recovery for our phone!!

I have rooted my phone sucessfully ..:)..Then i installed a swapper application it is working really fast now ..Thanx once again for the tool and the guide:)

droidiser

May 24, 2011
Haryana
www.droidiser.com
Hi Friends,

Can anyone else confirm this method to be working. So that if it is, I can update it on my website to help other a21 users.

Last edited:
Reactions: parmr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Driver files ahd Root Tool!!

Hi there

Hi Friends,

Karbonn A21 is a hell of a smartphone powered by a mighty Dual-core snapdragon processor which clocks at 1.2 GHz. The phone is priced at INR 10,499 and is available for around INR 500-1000 less than the MRP. The snapdragon processor ensures lagless performance of the device and is able to handle the 480x800 resolution of the device. The only drawback is the 400 MB ram that's available to the end user. The tagline for the device says: "Style meets Technolgy" and the device indeed looks stylish and gives a premium feeling. Just if this device had packed 1 GB ram, it would have been a killer combo of specs and price.

karbonn-a21-400x400-imadehgthpenfphr.jpeg

Other specs of this device include:
    5 MP back camera
    1.3 MP front camera
    4.5 Inch capacitive screen
    External Memory: Upto 32 GB
    Internal Memory: 4 GB
    Sales Package: Handset, Charger, Battery, warranty card, headset
    RAM is being reported to be 1 GB by many websites, I would want anyone having the device to confirm that.
    1800 mAH battery
    5 HRs. talktime, 200 HRs. standby
    Dual SIM, Dual standby

Rooting Guide (thanks jgsolo27):
    Available here.

Video Reviews by iGyaan:
    Unboxing of Karbonn A21
    Hardware Review
    Full review

Scrrenshots revealing the specs are attached below. Thanks Gagan330

xda member Eklovya had offered to compile cwm from sources. If you are rooted, pm him.

I shall keep this thread updated. Let your feedback and questions about the device pour below.
    Guyz!
    I was thinking of compiling a CWM recovery for your model!
    If anyone has rooted his phone can pm me.
    I will try to compile one from sources :):good:

Did someone contact you till now? Updated it on op to give you some exposure :p
    Phone Rooted!!

Dear Friends,

CWM Recovery!

Guyz!
    I was thinking of compiling a CWM recovery for your model!
    If anyone has rooted his phone can pm me.
    I will try to compile one from sources :):good: