[Q] HTC One X Need to get data off phone that doesnt pass Boot Animation/Red Triangle

Search This thread

MazzaUK

Jul 29, 2009
Hi,

I need to retrieve my 1) contacts, 2) Messages. If someone could help i would be really grateful and appreciative.

My HTC One X is standard with no mods (software/hardware).
Ive never updated firmware from 4.0.2 i believe.

Recently i downloaded a few programs from Play store.
I dont know if that was what caused the problems but i started getting problems with the apps closing/crashing.
Long story short spoke to O2 whom im with who were no help just wanted me to factory reset. Spoke to Dialaphone who said factory reset. And tried a couple times with HTC with the second time the girl advisor suddenly saying she will terminate calls while i was talking of options and hwen i stated i had done nothing wrong ie did not raise voice, did not say anything bad/derogatory etc and why she was doing that she cut the call off. I was understandably very angry, and i feel i will not be buying a HTC again with that kind of treatment.

As i couldnt get into play store due to crashing apps. I rang HTC. When i first rang HTC they said backup and do factory reset. I asked how they said use HTC SYnc Manager. Dl'ed and connected phone. No phone coming up. The phone at the time was again crashing all the apps now inc the android core something app.
I uninstalled the recent apps i had installed. Two sound meter apps, two lightmeter apps.
And i restarted phone. Phone then restarted but has to date not gone past the HTC bootup animation screen.

I have used soft reset by using power button. Recovery mode by way of pressing volume button and power button and then selecting recovery. When i do do recovery it shows its doing something and then i get a red triangle with an exclamation mark.

Please i need help to retrieve the data contacts and mesages on the phone. Asi never had problems with the phone before i didnt get round to making a backup. Normally i used to do this but have had a lot of other things going on and have become somewhat lazy.

Many thanks

Thant

Apr 25, 2010
Sofia
Hi,

I need to retrieve my 1) contacts, 2) Messages. If someone could help i would be really grateful and appreciative.

My HTC One X is standard with no mods (software/hardware).
Ive never updated firmware from 4.0.2 i believe.

Recently i downloaded a few programs from Play store.
I dont know if that was what caused the problems but i started getting problems with the apps closing/crashing.
Long story short spoke to O2 whom im with who were no help just wanted me to factory reset. Spoke to Dialaphone who said factory reset. And tried a couple times with HTC with the second time the girl advisor suddenly saying she will terminate calls while i was talking of options and hwen i stated i had done nothing wrong ie did not raise voice, did not say anything bad/derogatory etc and why she was doing that she cut the call off. I was understandably very angry, and i feel i will not be buying a HTC again with that kind of treatment.

As i couldnt get into play store due to crashing apps. I rang HTC. When i first rang HTC they said backup and do factory reset. I asked how they said use HTC SYnc Manager. Dl'ed and connected phone. No phone coming up. The phone at the time was again crashing all the apps now inc the android core something app.
I uninstalled the recent apps i had installed. Two sound meter apps, two lightmeter apps.
And i restarted phone. Phone then restarted but has to date not gone past the HTC bootup animation screen.

I have used soft reset by using power button. Recovery mode by way of pressing volume button and power button and then selecting recovery. When i do do recovery it shows its doing something and then i get a red triangle with an exclamation mark.

Please i need help to retrieve the data contacts and mesages on the phone. Asi never had problems with the phone before i didnt get round to making a backup. Normally i used to do this but have had a lot of other things going on and have become somewhat lazy.

Many thanks

Maybe you will not be able to restore anything on your phone because of the factory reset but maybe you will have working phone. Go in bootloader and after this connect the phone to a computer you must see fastboot USB download fastboot and adb extract it to c:\fastboot open cmd and type cd\ after this cd fastboot and run the command fastboot getvar version-main and post the result here

MazzaUK

Jul 29, 2009
Hi Thant,

Thanks for the help. To clarify i have not done any type of factory reset and do need the data. I have done a Recovery which showed the red triangle with exclamation mark.

If i do bootloader thing as you have specificed will it flash over the data?

Please let me know.

Many thanks

Maybe you will not be able to restore anything on your phone because of the factory reset but maybe you will have working phone. Go in bootloader and after this connect the phone to a computer you must see fastboot USB download fastboot and adb extract it to c:\fastboot open cmd and type cd\ after this cd fastboot and run the command fastboot getvar version-main and post the result here

MazzaUK

Jul 29, 2009
Connected the phone to PC but PC says it doesnt recognise usb connection

Thant

Apr 25, 2010
Sofia
Connected the phone to PC but PC says it doesnt recognise usb connection

You must to go in bootloader and choice fastboot after this connect the phone to computer. Then you must download fastboot files and paste in c:\fastboot. Then run cmd and navigate to this folder and run the command fastboot devices and you must to your S/N. If you didmn't see the phone install latest HTC drivers and post the result from command fastboot getvar all and delete your S/N and IMEI from the info

MazzaUK

Jul 29, 2009
Thats perfect. It worked. Thank you.

I Have attached an image with the results.

You must to go in bootloader and choice fastboot after this connect the phone to computer. Then you must download fastboot files and paste in c:\fastboot. Then run cmd and navigate to this folder and run the command fastboot devices and you must to your S/N. If you didmn't see the phone install latest HTC drivers and post the result from command fastboot getvar all and delete your S/N and IMEI from the info

Attachments

• getvar.jpg
    getvar.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 35

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Yeah that's what a ruu does, it deletes everything and put the phone back to factory stock

Thant

Apr 25, 2010
Sofia
I followed the instuctructions and the phoe rebooted and started working and booted into Android. But messages and contacts seem to have been erased in the process as nothing is showing.

Yes but you have your pictures you must to use google acount for future to not lose your contacts. sorry but I say in my first post maybe you will not restore your data but you will have working phone. Sorry again for the contacts and for future use google account:rolleyes:

MazzaUK

Jul 29, 2009
For me the phone didnt matter but i needed the messages and contacts. My fault for not backing them up but they were all very important to me. If there was a glitch/hack that allowedrooting without wipe i think that would have been a way around it. Even HTC didnt want to help which i think is silly for situations where it is vitally important info and for fee as well not a freebie.

Thank you for your help anyways in getting the phone past bootloop.

Thanks

Yes but you have your pictures you must to use google acount for future to not lose your contacts. sorry but I say in my first post maybe you will not restore your data but you will have working phone. Sorry again for the contacts and for future use google account:rolleyes:

Thant

Apr 25, 2010
Sofia
For me the phone didnt matter but i needed the messages and contacts. My fault for not backing them up but they were all very important to me. If there was a glitch/hack that allowedrooting without wipe i think that would have been a way around it. Even HTC didnt want to help which i think is silly for situations where it is vitally important info and for fee as well not a freebie.

Thank you for your help anyways in getting the phone past bootloop.

Thanks

No way to restore contact or message from broken phone sorry. If you unlock the bootloader have big chance to lose your picture but with RUU you keep them and lose only data,system and cache partition on the phone

MazzaUK

Jul 29, 2009
No way to restore contact or message from broken phone sorry. If you unlock the bootloader have big chance to lose your picture but with RUU you keep them and lose only data,system and cache partition on the phone

I have latest firmware and phone constantly restarts and more recently screen freezes. Mainly restarts all the time. Fed up of htc and their problems