RAZR M to get official KitKat 4.4 by Motorola

Search This thread

sloosecannon

Sep 10, 2012
I wouldn't worry. When Dan cracked the boot loader he made it crystal clear that it is physically impossible to relock due to the nature of the qfuse. So they may break other things like root ... But they can't relock your boot loader.

Not exactly. It's not possible to relock that we know of. It's very possible they could modify the bootloader to ignore that Qfuse. Or do some other shenanigans to make it relock. I'm sure it's possible though

Sent from my xt-907 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SARM1084

Specter597

Jan 25, 2012
Washington DC
Pessimistic Proctology

Not exactly. It's not possible to relock that we know of. It's very possible they could modify the bootloader to ignore that Qfuse. Or do some other shenanigans to make it relock. I'm sure it's possible though

Way to be a buzz-kill reasonably well thought out person.
Now my glass is half empty.

You're probably right.

::sigh::

But they'd have to be able to modify our bootloader without borking the DEV edition 905. Wouldn't that be more trouble than its worth?

sloosecannon

Sep 10, 2012
Way to be a buzz-kill reasonably well thought out person.
Now my glass is half empty.

You're probably right.

::sigh::

But they'd have to be able to modify our bootloader without borking the DEV edition 905. Wouldn't that be more trouble than its worth?

Lol yeah that was a bit of a buzz kill wasn't it?

Seeing as we've had 2 updates and they haven't done anything about that, I'm cautiously optimistic. As always though, if I do an update on stock, I wait for people to rip it apart and figure out if I would do anything unfortunate like re-locking the bootloader.

And about the Dev edition - it wouldn't really matter... Legit Dev edition users could probably just redo an OEM unlock via their site after the update. Inconvenient, yes, but do you think VZW cares about that?

b0uncyfr0

Oct 23, 2010
Sydney
Nothing Phone 1
What is all this im reading of the Droid M not re-locking? I thought if i had been BL unlocked already and installed any of the recent updates, i would be BL locked again and permanently this time.

4.4 is sweet, but we dont even have 4.2, so how is going to roll out? Straight to 4.4, i dont think so. If this happens itll be in while.

ATTACK

Jan 8, 2012
What is all this im reading of the Droid M not re-locking? I thought if i had been BL unlocked already and installed any of the recent updates, i would be BL locked again and permanently this time.

They don't re-lock bootloaders through OTA updates. They only prevent lock bootloaders from using the unlock exploit.

4.4 is sweet, but we dont even have 4.2, so how is going to roll out? Straight to 4.4, i dont think so. If this happens itll be in while.

Why not? It doesn't matter what android version you have. You could update to any version, hence flashing custom ROM's.

Last edited:

motoroid7

Jan 28, 2013
Bloomington, IN

@ATTACK is correct. It's more logical for them to skip 4.2 and 4.3 and go straight to 4.4. They wouldn't waste time updating to an older version of Android when they've already said that it will be updated to 4.4.

Reactions: ATTACK

radorix

Sep 29, 2010
Great to hear even though mine has an unlocked boot loader the rest of my family (4 additional phones) are all stock non rooted and they will appreciate some of the newer features. That and I'm sure our ROM devs will love some newer drivers

Coronado is dead

Dec 24, 2010
Great to hear even though mine has an unlocked boot loader the rest of my family (4 additional phones) are all stock non rooted and they will appreciate some of the newer features. That and I'm sure our ROM devs will love some newer drivers

Yeah, being unlocked myself I am looking forward to customs without screen tearing and lag issues once devs appropriate the new kernel.

Or heck, a stock de-bloated would be great too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Coronado is dead

Dec 24, 2010
I doubt it. Moto is keeping it to X8 devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Well see what magic the devs can work though.

There is an app on the market, DynamicNotifications, which does this in a simplified/not as good looking way as well. At least on mine the icon is a bit jagged.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Coronado is dead

Dec 24, 2010
I do recommend that everyone on an unlocked consumer device wait whenever this update hits. Not only could they find a way to bypass the unlock, but for all we know there could be a way for them to see a consumer device unlocked and just lock the whole thing.

Personally, I'll be waiting for a nice dev to give us a stock rom based on 4.4 that is verified safe. Let someone with expertise look under the hood before we all jump on the bus.

jhorton014

Aug 26, 2010
Fort Riley, KS
This is for both Dev and regular edition right?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

And I went back to stock just for this. I forgot just how much I like stock.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts