HD2 Touch Screen Not Responding

Search This thread

Skelator

Feb 27, 2010
Hi Guys i hope somebody who knows about capacitive touch screens can help me! I have taken my HD2 apart to fix a smashed camera lense. On removing the back cover i used a small screwdriver to prise off the back case and unclip it all round. It came off with no problem, i fixed the camera and put it back together. When i turned the device back on the touch screen isn't responding to my finger on any screen. Like i turned the touch screen off! The hard buttons still wok but nothing from the screen. Nothing looks damaged (I.e the glass isn't smashed). I seem to think i might have damaged something when prising the cover off with the screwdriver. Please, any suggestions would be really helpful!!!

lfotiou

Mar 17, 2008
I have exactly the same problem, but it happened from nowhere. I didnot unscrew anything. Please Help

marco97xr

Jan 30, 2010
same problem

ive got the same problem, mine just stopped working, i performed a soft and hard reset, removed the battery still nothing. it worked for a moment but once locked it stopped working again, only the hard buttons.

saru56

Apr 1, 2010
same problem but it works on and off. basically the screen will respond until the phone is put into hibernate. the after that id have to push the phone button and end button back and forth until it responds

datafoo

May 11, 2010
Same Issue independant of ROM

Same issue here.

Funny thing is it started a week or two ago randomly out of the blue.

Same scenario:
lock the phone can't get touchscreen to respond for unlock

Judging by these posts everyone started seeing this about the same time, maybe it's a software issue or background app .

Help!

tractatus

Mar 5, 2010
I have same problem. It can work for a couple of hours or in 1-2 days then just stop responding, almost every time when in hibernate. Lets just hope it's not hardware failure.

otacon

Jan 1, 2007
Shah Alam
This started happening to me this morning. Out of 50 tries, managed to unlock the phone three times only. This happened out of the blue, right after i removed my phone from the charger.

Have soft reset, hard reset, reflashed ROM, but the issue still remains.

I really really hope this is not a hardware issue.

Does anyone out there know how to solve this? My phone is virtually unusable right now...

dio62000

Jan 16, 2009
Same problem here, I've been testing for about 2,5 months now and today I've sent mine back to HTC :(. I think it's a hardware problem, tried everything from hard resetting to reflashing. When I press the HTC logo and keep it pressed the screen does respond again. Conclusion: hardware problem.

Reactions: jackrabbit72380

tractatus

Mar 5, 2010
Same problem here, I've been testing for about 2,5 months now and today I've sent mine back to HTC :(. I think it's a hardware problem, tried everything from hard resetting to reflashing. When I press the HTC logo and keep it pressed the screen does respond again. Conclusion: hardware problem.

You're probably right.

I've also tried everything. But kind of strange that if I lock when not on home tab it seems to work. And the screen, almost always, reacts as it should as long as I just dont' lock it.

Last edited:

aeromarknyc

Dec 13, 2008
I just started to get this issue. touch screen works fine until it hibernates. reflashed, still happens. found this in my search:

htcphones.net/htc-hd2-problems-with-touchscreen/

MartinXDA

Jan 22, 2010
Vault 101
Yeah, it happened to me as well. I opened a new thread like a month ago explaining the problem: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=710282&styleid=15

and I contributed in another one concerning the same issue here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=708530

Summing all up, it ain't caused by a software or a ROM of some kind (at least in my case) because soft and hard resets didn't solve it nor did the flash of a stock ROM. The most probable cause is a digitizer (touchscreen) defect that appears randomly and totally out of the blue. The only thing to do in my opinion is to send the phone in for repair, which I did. It came back with a check mark on "calibrated screen" checkbox. As of now phone's working fine and I hope they solved it even though I read of other people who have had their leo's screens completely replaced..

A curious side note: htc care reset to zero my phone's call duration timers..

dio62000

Jan 16, 2009
I'm not sure if it's the screen. In my case I think it's the connector from the screen to the motherboard, because pressing the housing seems to help.
But let's see if HTC is able to repair it, I hope they are, because the problem is so random they might not even see it :rolleyes:

otacon

Jan 1, 2007
Shah Alam
After losing functionality on my touch screen for a week, finally decided to send it in. Took the trouble to revert my HSPL to original and Stock Rom.

Repair should take about a week. Now I'm stuck with an ancient Nokia 6230i for this week. I feel so lost without my ppc. Have had one for as long as I can remember.

Hopefully the phone comes back okay...

tractatus

Mar 5, 2010
I've had so much problem with the screen not responding so I did all backup then reflashed, hard reset to put the device back to stock. Did this during the weekend, I even fired up my old iphone 3g to have as backup phone.

All set today to go to the store and have it repared under warranty.

But since Sunday evening it works perfect. I've been testing it a lot and the screen has not stop responding even once.

This might be just temporarily but does anyone else experienced something like this?

otacon

Jan 1, 2007
Shah Alam
Mine died on me when I was actually out of the country (stuck in Vietnam without a phone). It would work for 5 minutes, then stop for hours. I would have to switch my phone on and off for a couple hundred times before it worked for another 5 minutes...

Got so tired of it that i sent back my HD2 for warranty repair. Expect it to be back tomorrow (or Friday at the latest). Hope there's no further problems with it.

anrabi4

Dec 20, 2009
Bucharest
I hate to say it, but the HD2 is known for its highly defective touchscreen. Even when it's working, a lot of people experience strange and bothering events, such as the touchscreen "touching" itself, a very high/very low screen sensitivity all of a sudden, the tilting of the screen to one of the four corners of the device and so on and so forth.

With a device so expensive one would expect it to work flawlessly. Seems to me that HTC doesn't think the way we do...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just fixed mine

http://www.htcphones.net/htc-hd2-problems-with-touchscreen/

Thats the link I used. All i had to do was push in the hangup button(red) on the HD2 very firmly and kinda moved my finger around with it. Mine started acting up all crazy recently and the screen finally stopped working last night. This solved my issue. I just did it in 5 seconds and the screen started working again. BEST SOLUTION EVER!
    OK, some of this may sound kind of stupid, but it was my experiance so hopefully it will help some of you guys.

I think in my case, it is a problem with the hard buttons, let me explain.

When the issue first started for me, I would wake the phone up with the red call button and the touchscreen wouldn't work. Through experimentation I found out if I hit the button at just the right angleor used any other key, it would wake up 100% of the time.

I had a perfictlly working phone for a couple of weeks until now the other buttons stopped working 100% of the time. After some googleing I found the dumbest sounding solution ever. Stick your fingernail in between the case and the screen at the top of the phone. It worked for about a month. If I tried to wake the phone up and it wouldn't, Do that, and try again. Then out of the blue, This just stopped working.

After ever more experimentayion I found out that if I hold the green phone or home key REALLY hard until the screen wakes up, I get a 80-95 percent success rate. Meaning I rarely have to try more than twice.

I fear this may be the end of the line for my beloved HD2 as the problem just gets worse and worse, And I bought it on craigslist about a year ago so I don't think I'll be getting any warrenty work.

Sticking the fingernail between the screen and the phone worked. Screen became responsive again. Holly s!!!t. It must be the red button that cause the problem. I cannot be doing that every time.
    I have the same problem and i need your help please help me out.

I do have the tmobile ROM but i had installed hardSPL and i will i guess have to go back to the original SPL that came with the phone, right??

please let me know how to do that as my phone is not responding to touch.

thanks

Yes you must return everything ROM/RADIO/SPL to origional or an allowed update ROM.

You can either put the phone into BootLoader Mode and connect to the PC then run HSPL3 and select the SPL version for your ROM but ending in .0000

or you can download the t-mobile ROM from T-Mobile site (if it is a TMOUS) or the HTC site (if anywhere else), extract the files and rename the largest one to 'leoimg.nbh'. copy it and nothing else to a 4GB (or less) SD Card. Put the phone into BootLoader Mode and follow the instructions.
    Confirmation

somewhere in deep ungle of xda I had read that hd 2 end call button has a "touch" with touchscreens "hardware" (vcables/connectors, not sure how to translate) every time it is pressed, therefore, after some time touch screen goes numb.

You're right, it is typical for HD2(a design flaw): using very often END Call/POWER button will determine, over the time, a premature failure of your touchscreen.