PSA: Kingo and vRoot determined to be malware [UPDATE 8 DEC]

Search This thread

national_guard

May 25, 2014
Vroot

Well, i just rooted my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GB 2.3.6 with VRoot just today.:(

I hope the Mods/Devs of this forum can clarify or clear up the "issues" regarding VRoot.

I want to uninstall the VRoot Superuser which was installed, anyone could help with with this?

THANK YOU!:)

cajunflavoredbob

May 1, 2010
Your Basement
Well, i just rooted my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GB 2.3.6 with VRoot just today.:(

I hope the Mods/Devs of this forum can clarify or clear up the "issues" regarding VRoot.

I want to uninstall the VRoot Superuser which was installed, anyone could help with with this?

THANK YOU!:)

Install SuperSU from the market, then uninstalled the VRoot one.

There's nothing else to clear up here. They're harvesting IMEI numbers. That's all we know about it. No one can confirm if they are actually collecting them and selling them or not. The only thing we know is that your IMEI gets uploaded during the rooting process. That's it.

national_guard

May 25, 2014
^^
Installed the SuperSU today. :)

Liked it that the SuperSU reminded me regarding another SU App (VRoot) and gave me the option to uninstall it (VRoot SU :victory:).

deboned

Mar 16, 2011
Vroot still unsafe?

Can someone reverse engineer the rooting method with out the mining. : ) :cyclops:

kingo is malware

Any app rendering third party interweb ads == malware

Any app using installation wrapper addon like "open" candy == malware. They employ Dr Busybody to respond to such assertions rather than change their business model to something ethical. There was a wikipedia edit-war over using them as an example of the kind of malware they compete. I am interested in exactly the one application I downloaded an installation wrapper to install AND ZERO others. Malware with admin context is folly.

Kingo = malware

Maheshchiramure

Dec 7, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos i9082 rooted using vRoot behaving abnormally

Hi

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos i9082 using vRoot before reading this post and am really regretting it. After rooting using vRoot I found 3 new apps on my android device. One of these three apps was "Supercleaner" which Kaspersky antivirus (installed on my android device) declared as a malware so I removed it. However, my Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos i9082 still disconnects itself from wifi after every 5 to 10 minutes (it exhibited no such problem before I rooted it).

One more thing that I noticed is that I am unable to open some websites which i used to surf without any problems before rooting. These sites now display "Our services are not available in your country". I tried opening these sites using different web browsers but was presented with same results each time. I think those sites are banned in China. Is it possible that vRoot has done something to my device such that these sites are forced to think that my device is located in China while I am using it in India ? I tried opening these same websites using one of my friends unrooted android device using the same wifi and they open perfectly on his android device.

Am I facing an Irreversible damage ? Please help.

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Hi

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos i9082 using vRoot before reading this post and am really regretting it. After rooting using vRoot I found 3 new apps on my android device. One of these three apps was "Supercleaner" which Kaspersky antivirus (installed on my android device) declared as a malware so I removed it. However, my Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos i9082 still disconnects itself from wifi after every 5 to 10 minutes (it exhibited no such problem before I rooted it).

One more thing that I noticed is that I am unable to open some websites which i used to surf without any problems before rooting. These sites now display "Our services are not available in your country". I tried opening these sites using different web browsers but was presented with same results each time. I think those sites are banned in China. Is it possible that vRoot has done something to my device such that these sites are forced to think that my device is located in China while I am using it in India ? I tried opening these same websites using one of my friends unrooted android device using the same wifi and they open perfectly on his android device.

Am I facing an Irreversible damage ? Please help.

As this is a Sony forum/section I doubt many of us are up to play on Sammy stuff...

But my first thought of what you described is maybe they have proxied your connection.

stpbystpx3

May 7, 2015
Oh my god

is it really unsafe ? i read a few threads, what about the investigation about kingo, xda has got some results ?

i have xperia e4g and seems like the only way to root that phone is kingo root, but those threads about kingo is unsafe, stole data, and that camera thing..

i confused, any ideas :/

or anyway to root that phone.. .(

flipmode_11

Nov 24, 2009
Please wait...
The sky is falling! Quick! Everyone panic!

Guys! GIRLS!!!
It's worse than a bloody mother's meeting in here!

Stop harping on about this. EVERY SINGLE APP YOU DOWNLOAD, that requests the Device ID and Number can do (and IS DOING) the SAME THING!!!
Install AFWALL+, switch over to 'Blocking Mode' and tick the apps you trust and ONLY want having "WiFi" \ "LAN" \ "Mobile Data" \ "VPN" access... 90% of Apps downloaded DO NOT require (need) internet access privileges... Disable their access!!

But stop going on about this crap. KingoRoot / KingoApp is not stealing anything you nong's! If they were stealing phone contacts (#'s and @'s), THEN you would have something to be worried about!!!
- Bugger me!
Flipmode

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MOD EDIT: Updated statement, not entirely true and currently under review. Hang tight, everything will be explained soon.

Remember the little discussion we had going in a thread here regarding vRoot, and i joked about vRoot was mining IMEIs? Well, apparently it's true . We have only ourselves to blame. I'm already rooted so i'll unlock my bootloader and install recovery. That way i don't need to root again if i screw something up. You "should" do the same if you're already rooted and don't care about losing Gracenote and X-Reality. Remember to backup your TA folder.

This application is currently under review, XDA is in contact, and working with Kingo to resolve security issues, however until certain guidelines are met links will not be allowed in xda.

Thank you.
    What does this mean? What are they able to do with our IMEI's (if they have them)? I'm not sure, and i won't speculate.

UPDATE: We'll have to wait this one out and see what happens. In the meantime, do not use Kingo or vRoot.

UPDATE - 19 november:

FB post from Kingo:

"In this 1.1.2 version, the IMEI is no longer a problem. It's a long way to release the open source 2.X version, we have to face many tech problems and facing the Android 4.3,4.4 update at the same time. Thank you for your understanding."
    If this is true, then it's safe to use Kingo again. We don't know if this is indeed true, but i don't see why they should lie about it since we can easily check it ourselves. Nothing from the devs behind vRoot though, so keep staying away from it for now.

Thanks to @stopa10 for keeping us updated :)

UPDATE - 8 december:

A new rooting tool has been released. Download it from this thread, and follow this guide (just swap vRoot with the new tool).

Thanks to cubeundcube (dev) and @RyokoN
    Can someone test this new rookit with oldest firmware(kernel)?[/url]
    This rookit uses CVE-2013-6282 and can root Z1 .534.
    Z Ultra is released earlier than Z1, so I think oldest kernel should have this exploit...

Worked with my XZU with firmware .532. Thanks.
    the thing with these chinese websites and imei collection is,they need those to produce knock offs so they can sell it as the real stuff or reprogram a stolen/blacklisted imei fone to a legitimate one.honestly,if they have a imei from a american fone and put it in a phone meant for the chinese market,what are the chances of the 2 fones with the same imei no. appearing in the states at the same time on the same network?

now you can see why your imei worth lots of money in the right hands?its the way they do business in china and the chinese market is pretty cut-throat.

a general rule is,your imei is like your social security no., in the right hands,god knows what they can do with it.and if they cannot root your phone offline like how CF-autoroot does,its best you jus stay away.

and even if these chinese website says they are not mining your imei but jus for referencing or whatever reason they give you,never believe them.china does not hold the position of having the highest ip infringement complains for no reason.

and in case some one thinks i am some kind of racist who speaks against the chinese race,let it be known that i AM a Chinese.
    Kingo's new version

I posted this already in the other thread about this.

Kingo has a new version (1.1.2) and they claimed that they removed IMEI collection from their code.

Since this is pretty easy to check for anyone with a sniffer (and a phone to root... :( ), I tend to believe them.

So, I might take the chance and try the new version...
    Latest SuperSU update has an option to completely remove vRoot's app from the system and make itself the root app, so no need to manually delete it etc. :)