Droid 2 Global root CD for .629 (not necessary to brick phone)

Search This thread

damagedon

Jan 6, 2013
It is cm 7.2, but I imagine it's the same thing.

So even though the phone is rooted I still need to downgrade the firmware first?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
[HOW TO] Install/Use Droid 2 Bootstrap

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

It is cm 7.2, but I imagine it's the same thing.

So even though the phone is rooted I still need to downgrade the firmware first?

if you are on 4.5.629, you can not downgrade
Pooka-CM4D2G-GB-20120519 and Pooka-CM4D2G-GB-20120516r are flashed on 608 or 629

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

D2G has a locked bootloader that does not allow, kernel changes

damagedon

Jan 6, 2013
That is essentially what I did the first time, expect I used the ROOT method posted by the OP.

I didn't update clockword the second time around. Same results though, stuck on the Motorola logo.

Just double checked the md5 sum just in case, it matches. Not sure what is going on.

EDIT:

Just saw your edit. So is there just no way to install CyanogenMod on the 4.5.629?

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Pooka-CM4D2G-GB-20120519 is latest cm7 version for 608 or 629

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

or try cm9, it's working well

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

and cm9 is not official either

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

use my link

Don_S

Feb 15, 2013
Unable to download

I am trying to download the iso files from rapidshare via the links provided in the first post in this thread, but I get the following error message:

Download not available
Download permission denied by uploader. (0b67c2f5)

What am I doing wrong?

Don_S

Feb 15, 2013
I have been reading up on rooting and SBF flashing the Droid 2 global for the last several days to the point that my head hurts:eek:
I am new to Android phones and have only successfully rooted one phone (an HTC incredible). The process for the incredible seems quite different from that for the D2G. I am still awaiting delivery of my D2G and in the meantime I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the proper sequence - do I root first and then flash the SBF or vice-versa? Does the sequence even matter?
2. I have downloaded several SBFs from 1KDS's website. If a flash a newer SBF (4.5.608 for instance), can I later flash an older SBF ( like the 2.4.33) ? I want to experiment with the various SBFs but want to ensure that I will not brick the phone by flashing an older SBF.

Gasai Yuno

May 11, 2011
Rausu
1. What is the proper sequence - do I root first and then flash the SBF or vice-versa? Does the sequence even matter?
2. I have downloaded several SBFs from 1KDS's website. If a flash a newer SBF (4.5.608 for instance), can I later flash an older SBF ( like the 2.4.33) ? I want to experiment with the various SBFs but want to ensure that I will not brick the phone by flashing an older SBF.
SBF completely overwrites everything that is present in the flash memory except /data.

You can flash older SBF images provided you did not update/flash 4.5.629. The 4.5.629 update replaces bootloader and older SBF images will not work after that.

You cannot brick by flashing SBFs: even if you flash an older SBF over 4.5.629 you can still flash 4.5.629 over that.

Reactions: Don_S

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
if you flash a sbf, you will need to root again
different system versions are rooted differently
4.5.629 root with magic md5 root
4.5.608 root with pete's root tools, or one of several others
2.4.29/33 are only versions that can be rooted without a pc using 4zroot app

Last edited:

Don_S

Feb 15, 2013
SIM unlock question

Got my D2G a couple of days ago and just now successfully flashed the 2.4.33 radio and ezSBF back to 4.5.629. I had already SIM unlocked the phone before I did this. My question is this: Now that I have rooted, downgraded to 2.4.33 and flashed back to 4.5.629, will I need to SIM unlock the phone again? Not a big deal if the unlock code remains the same. I don't have the foreign SIM card (which I had borrowed to SIM unlock the phone). I have not yet applied the TBH band lock hack because I wasn't sure that the phone is still SIM unlocked, hence the question.

Also, since flashing the Froyo radio, I am getting a blue triangle in the notification bar and under Settings>About phone>Status, under "Network" it shows up as "Unknown", but signal strength is OK Mobile network type is CDMA EvDo rev.A. Prior to doing all of the above, the Network type was showing up correctly as Verizon. Any idea as to what is going on?

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Got my D2G a couple of days ago and just now successfully flashed the 2.4.33 radio and ezSBF back to 4.5.629. I had already SIM unlocked the phone before I did this. My question is this: Now that I have rooted, downgraded to 2.4.33 and flashed back to 4.5.629, will I need to SIM unlock the phone again? Not a big deal if the unlock code remains the same.
no once phone is unlocked, flashing will not change that
I don't have the foreign SIM card (which I had borrowed to SIM unlock the phone). I have not yet applied the TBH band lock hack because I wasn't sure that the phone is still SIM unlocked, hence the question.
it just needs to be a non verizon sim card

Also, since flashing the Froyo radio, I am getting a blue triangle in the notification bar and under Settings>About phone>Status, under "Network" it shows up as "Unknown", but signal strength is OK Mobile network type is CDMA EvDo rev.A. Prior to doing all of the above, the Network type was showing up correctly as Verizon. Any idea as to what is going on?
should be ok, if you activated with verizon, or other network, it would fix that

Don_S

Feb 15, 2013
no once phone is unlocked, flashing will not change that

it just needs to be a non verizon sim card

should be ok, if you activated with verizon, or other network, it would fix that

Thank you for your response. Yeah.. after I posted the above message, I went ahead and installed the TBH band unlock, inserted an AT&T card from my iPhone and was able to connect to the ATT network. Everything seems to be working the way it should, so I am a happy camper!

Don_S

Feb 15, 2013
great, there a some gsm build prop, tweaks
not required, but may increase 3g signal
see
Hacking/tweaking 3G settings and the radio driver
and
Wrong UMTS signal indication on D2g

I had seen those links previously, but I am not yet bold enough to venture into those areas yet (I am a newbie to android phones). One of these days, I may summon enough courage to do it, though.

Question: the "root explorer" - what is it? is it an app that I can download to my phone? or is it the "Files" app that is already on my phone?

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
you need a file manager or root browser, that has root access
I like root browser basic, root explorer is another popular one, but there are lots of them

needs to be able to, View and edit any file

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

stock file manager, does not have root access

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

also should make a nandroid backup, before making changes

Don_S

Feb 15, 2013
great, there a some gsm build prop, tweaks
not required, but may increase 3g signal
see
Hacking/tweaking 3G settings and the radio driver
and
Wrong UMTS signal indication on D2g

OK... my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to do the above tweaks. I did the Radiocomm radio driver tweak and the "wrong UMTS" tweak and my phone is still alive, YAY!

I am having a problem with tweaking the 3G settings, though. The instructions are confusing. In the beginning of the instructions, it says "Open root explorer (or whices) and navigate to /data, long click local.prop and scroll down to open in text editor. at the end of local.prop add the following lines and an extra empty line at the end, then reboot." However, lower down in the instructions, it says "again, save this at the end of build.prop WITH an extra empty line at the end, reboot and you're done". I've looked in my phone and there are two separate files named local.prop and build.prop. So, which one should be edited to perform the tweak?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have assembled a rooting CD for Droid 2 Global phones that have taken the .629 update.
    I got the info on how to do this from phifc's post at
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/29930-new-root-method-for-stock-234-621622-found-droid2-r2d2/
    so all credit for this method go to phifc, djrbliss, and the others who developed the method.
    I have simply taken the method, and assembled the tools for the Droid 2 Global.
    Credit for the idea behind the CD method should go to 1KDS, as I have mostly patterned this CD after his method.
    Credit should also go to Skrilax_CZ, as without his Motorola Android Firmware (De)packer, we wouldn't be able to have a CD under 50 meg.
    I have tested this CD on my phone, and found it to work properly, but I can't guarantee that it will work for others. Others have also found it to work, but I can't guarantee you will have the same results.

You are welcome to try it, and I hope it is helpful to someone, but as with all modifications, you do so at your own risk.

Instructions for using this CD.
    Download and burn this image file to CD. (or create bootable USB)
    It might be a good idea to do a factory reset before starting this process, but you might be ok without it. My phone had already been rooted, so I had to sbf it back to stock, in order to test the CD, so I have only tried it after a factory reset.

1 Enable USB debugging on the phone,
    2 Boot computer off of this CD
    3 Hook up phone to computer (phone needs to be on at this point)
    4 Start the root process by selecting option 1
    5 When it says on the screen that phone needs placed in bootloader, (almost right away, as it only needs to send 1 command before placing in bootloader) power off the phone, and put it in bootloader by holding the up arrow on the keyboard of the phone while powering on.
    6 when in bootloader and hooked up to the phone, press enter on the computer to proceed, a preinstall image will be flashed to the phone, providing the exploit that will root the phone.
    7 When it has flashed, the phone should reboot. If it hangs when booting, unplug phone, remove battery, replace battery and power back on. When powered on, hook up cable again, and the process will continue (it will immediately reboot again)
    8 When the phone reboots, ADB should be root, so it will push the necessary files to the phone, and reboot the phone again. Per Morlok8k, cache should be wiped to avoid bootloop problems, so the phone will be rebooted into Recovery.
    9 You will have to press both volume buttons to enter recovery, where you should wipe cache partition and reboot.
    If all went well, your phone should be rooted.
    If you try it, please verify if it works for you, or gives you trouble.
    Hope this helps someone.

I updated the CD (mainly just made it a bit smaller) and uploaded it to Mediafire

http://www.mediafire.com/?394ha4dzjtyqpqb

I also uploaded it to rapidshare,
    https://rapidshare.com/files/1105339167/D2G_629-Root_CD-updated.iso
    the md5 for the updated CD is

84ff5a572e98c3eb366cc6fec13f99d5

I also previously forgot to mention that this method works fine off a bootable usb drive, a CD is not necessary. I use Unetbootin to create the bootable usb, and it works well for me.

Update
    Since there is now a direct rooting method of .629 available, I also put it together with an EzSbf style CD of the full .629 SBF.

One item of note with this CD, it does require at least 1GB of RAM in order to work properly. Also, if you only have 1GB of memory, and you need to both SBF and root your phone, it will be necessary to reboot the computer after flashing the .629 SBF. If you are unsure of the amount of RAM that you have, go ahead and reboot to be on the safe side.

The CD is available at
    https://rapidshare.com/files/2650843793/D2G_4.5.629_SBF-and-RootCD.iso
    and the MD5 is
    579d7d5095fc2560205033456db150a2

So there are two CD's available, both of which work to root .629. The second CD should also work as a recovery CD, as it contains the full .629 SBF

There is also a mirror of these files provided by sd_shadow at
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Oj1a1wNZKhZMPUqU_6KzzYzQJ2RKzvvumTx-41f3h4/edit
    build.prop is the file you need to edit.

You don't need to touch local.prop.
    to make a nandroid backup, you need to install Droid 2 bootstrap recovery
    you can not flash official cm 7.2, on 4.5.629

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

unless it's to correct, you don't need to use edit
    xda, will add new post to old if no one else has posted
    Gasai says just edit build.prop, so just edit build.prop
    she knows a lot more than me, about gms and editing files