<DISCONTINUED>[KERNEL][KK4.4]Notest Kernel with Linaro 4.8 and aries-cma

Search This thread

BillyBob3

Oct 23, 2011
Orlando
I'm on 0307 official nightly + 0308 notest kernel
using older nightly maybe cause phone crash because init.rc was different
Its been forever since I used a custom kernel and want to confirm steps to install: Boot to recovery > install latest nightly (0308) > install 0308 notest kernel in OP > install gapps > reboot. Correct? Anything else?

didhiy

Mar 29, 2011
Jakarta
Do you have mobile data with the 0307 nightly? I ask cause the 0308 does not. Only wifi.

I was loving the kernel up till then and had to revert.

seems data not work too, i don't have data plan this month so I didn't aware before

this problem could be came from upstream (cm-11) to devices with old ril, should be fixed if pawitp (i9000 dev) commits got merged

Reactions: Luthiensdad

epicboy

Nov 21, 2013
Can you have the kernel overclock to 1.3 or 1.4 ghz? I wouldn't mind the battery drainage if I'm getting better performance.

mpannen

Jun 5, 2008
Similar to the epicmtd 10.1 build, could the crespo RIL be used in place of the legacy epic RIL, with of course the proper kernel/ROM patches and radio flashes, to bring back the data connection in the CM11 builds? I am using a notest kernel/crespo radio firmware with 10.1.3 and it workd wonderfully right now. Is the crespo RIL considered non-legacy?

didhiy

Mar 29, 2011
Jakarta
Similar to the epicmtd 10.1 build, could the crespo RIL be used in place of the legacy epic RIL, with of course the proper kernel/ROM patches and radio flashes, to bring back the data connection in the CM11 builds? I am using a notest kernel/crespo radio firmware with 10.1.3 and it workd wonderfully right now. Is the crespo RIL considered non-legacy?

I think crespo ril considered as legacy too. FYI I use the "legacy" word from pawitp patch in cm gerrit, don't know exactly which devices included.
Based on cm official blog post about snapshot-m4, there's a big changes in march nightlies related to ril (multi sim support & qcril stuff), so we must wait till this problem solved or use nightly before march.

About crespo4g modem, I already tried that several times to get it works on kitkat & no luck till now (no baseband).

didhiy

Mar 29, 2011
Jakarta
build 20140313

Features and changelogs:
build b4 march for 20140228 nightlies and older
Compiled at this kernel HEAD and initram
build 20140313 for 20140307-NIGHTLY and newer
Builded at this HEAD
- Switch cflag from -Og (reverted to -O2 then) to -O3, the kernel size was much bigger & reduce user RAM to 416MB
- Use newer linaro toolchhain 14.02
- Add aries-common: zRAM: only read one page at a time
imo default linux value will give better performance, but I prefer to follow aosp guide like in stock cm-11 for galaxysmtd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snoshrk

didhiy

Mar 29, 2011
Jakarta
Features and changelogs:
build 20140401
Compiled on this HEAD
- Update iniram & cwm from 20140331-NIGHTLY
- Enable KSM_CHECK_PAGE
- Enable Advanced TCP Congestion Control
build 20140324 for 20140323-NIGHTLY and newer
- Update initram & cwm from 20140323-NIGHTLY

what is / was Kexec used for?

purpose of the function?

It's been enable in all custom kernel & stock cm7 till now (stock cm-11). Most noticed function is allowing temporary boot to stock rom to update prl, calibrate screen etc.
I remove this to easily apply memset fix so I can compile the kernel source with linaro gcc 4.8, which should be give a better optimization

Last edited:

Snoshrk

Feb 11, 2011
Boone
LG V60 ThinQ
Sweet new build! Yeah! Thank you for keeping this alive! :D

Does this kernel support dual boot? If so how....

I found a thread on XDA for dual boot, but man is it old (like 2011) ....

Thanks

Sno

didhiy

Mar 29, 2011
Jakarta
2 different outlook users would fix it
or maybe something in relation to categories

0401 will be the last build because my pc suddenly shutdown & won't boot again
it's very old pc.. maybe above 9 years old, so already reach end of it's life I guess :D
meantime I just buy a new phone lg g2, so can't buy a pc in near future

about dual boot in epic4g, I think it's impossible because the internal storage too small for 2 system

Reactions: bbelos and Snoshrk

Snoshrk

Feb 11, 2011
Boone
LG V60 ThinQ
it's very old pc.. maybe above 9 years old, so already reach end of it's life I guess :D

about dual boot in epic4g, I think it's impossible because the internal storage too small for 2 system

Bummer about your PC...:(

Kinda "solved" my dual boot question...with the FC09 boot from SD I was asking about earlier (kexec question). Only really need it 'til they get the wired MIC support back ( square reader)

Anyhow, Thanks again for all of your hard work keeping the Epic going! G/L with the G2!

Matt

Reactions: didhiy

Luthiensdad

Aug 9, 2007

sorry to hear about your pc & that its loss spells the end of development, but I would like to extend my sincere gratitude for all the tremendous amount of kernel development you've done for us Epic users the last couple of years, it has been greatly appeciated.

Reactions: didhiy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warning!
    - This is not a stable (enough) build, (but) a random reboot or system hang (still) may occur
    - Default color tweaked with darker look, this use color multiplier value from samurai kernel + my gamma set
    this can be set in bbelos unofficial build. In official nightly this can be set from terminal or root explorer in this folder:
    /sys/class/misc/color_tuning/
    - Video capture & playback (cma problem with or without ksm) mostly working.
    In rare condition it need long time to start (5 minutes or more).
    You can wait it if you have time (recommended) or simply restart your phone.
    - Kexec not supported!
    - Maybe some more...

Features and changelogs:
    build 20140401
    Compiled on this HEAD
    - Enable KSM_CHECK_PAGE
    build 20140315 for 20140307-NIGHTLY and newer
    Compiled on this HEAD
    - Add 2 patches to improve swap & revert aries-common: zRAM: only read one page at a time.
    This time I prefer this kernel doc:
    Code:
    It is a logarithmic value - setting it to zero means "1 page", setting
    it to 1 means "2 pages", setting it to 2 means "4 pages", etc.
    Zero disables swap readahead completely.

The default value is three (eight pages at a time).  There may be some
    small benefits in tuning this to a different value if your workload is
    swap-intensive.

Lower values mean lower latencies for initial faults, but at the same time
    extra faults and I/O delays for following faults if they would have been part of
    that consecutive pages readahead would have brought in.
    over aosp guide:
    Code:
    By default, the Linux kernel swaps in 8 pages of memory at a time.
    When using ZRAM, the incremental cost of reading 1 page at a time is negligible and may help in case the device is under extreme memory pressure.
    To read only 1 page at a time, add the following to your init.rc:
    `write /proc/sys/vm/page-cluster 0`
    build b4 march for 20140228 nightlies and older
    Compiled at this kernel HEAD and initram
    build 20140313 for 20140307-NIGHTLY and newer
    Builded at this HEAD
    - Switch cflag from -Og (reverted to -O2 then) to -O3, the kernel size was much bigger & reduce user RAM to 416MB
    - Use newer linaro toolchhain 14.02
    - Add aries-common: zRAM: only read one page at a time
    imo default linux value will give better performance, but I prefer to follow aosp guide like in stock cm-11 for galaxysmtd.
    build 20140310 for 20140307-NIGHTLY and newer
    - Add 1100 oc step from mackay, full charge indicator from sc-02b and 2 other commits
    build 20140308 for 20140307-NIGHTLY and newer
    - Use ramdisk 0307 nightly with 144mb zram (stable enough)
    build 20140305
    Kernel changes in here + ramdisk 0228 nightly with 256mb zram (not stable)
    - if you find phone service crash, maybe I need to update the initram soon
    - default color tweaked with darker look, this use color multiplier value from samurai kernel + my gamma set
    this can be set in bbelos unofficial build. in official nightly this can be set from terminal or root explorer in this folder:
    - Video capture & playback (cma problem with or without ksm) mostly working, but in rare condition it need long time to start (5 minutes or more).
    - add 2 commits from codeaurora I found in cm gerrit for other device to improve zram & I increase zram size to 256mb. this lead the kernel to more unstable, will fix this in next build
    - kexec hardboot code removed (not only disable)
    - other minor things
    build 20140226
    - Add 2 video for linux commits, ARM uaccess & merge android-3.0 aosp
    build 20140219
    - 1.2ghz OC step
    - 417mb memory from pawitp cma-test
    - Color & Gamma Calibration support for CM-11 Unofficial
    - KSM support, off by default & recommended to disable
    - aries-common: increase zRAM to 128 MB
    - Kernel config for smaller kernel size (mostly taken from semaphore kernel for i9000 by stratosk)
    - Merged to aosp android-3.0 kernel common
    - Update gpu driver to DDK 1.8@2198402 (as on mackay kernel and others for i9000)
    - Compiled with linaro-toolchain-binaries 4.8 (32bit)
    - Older CWM from Preview CM-11
    - Display boot progress, zcache, lz4, etc.. as commited here

Install Instruction:
    - Already on CM-11 is required & unofficial build with color calibration is recommended.
    - Flash from CWM or TWRP as usual

Download:
    http://goo.im/devs/didhiy/sph-d700_cm-11.0
    tips: check (sort by) modification time to find the latest build

Source:
    - Kernel
    - Ramdisk

Credits:
    - bbelos
    - pawitp
    - zman0900
    - marcusant
    - stratosk
    - kasper_h
    - derteufel1980
    - all former epic4g devs
    - all aries variant devs and community
    build 20140308

Features and changelogs:
    build 20140308
    - Use ramdisk 0307 nightly with 144mb zram (stable enough)
    build 20140305
    Kernel changes in here + ramdisk 0228 nightly with 256mb zram (not stable)
    - if you find phone service crash, maybe I need to update the initram soon
    - default color tweaked with darker look, this use color multiplier value from samurai kernel + my gamma set
    this can be set in bbelos unofficial build. in official nightly this can be set from terminal or root explorer in this folder:
    - Video capture & playback (cma problem with or without ksm) mostly working, but in rare condition it need long time to start (5 minutes or more).
    - add 2 commits from codeaurora I found in cm gerrit for other device to improve zram & I increase zram size to 256mb. this lead the kernel to more unstable, will fix this in next build
    - kexec hardboot code removed (not only disable)
    - other minor things
    Features and changelogs:
    build 20140401
    Compiled on this HEAD
    - Enable KSM_CHECK_PAGE

what is / was Kexec used for?

purpose of the function?

It's been enable in all custom kernel & stock cm7 till now (stock cm-11). Most noticed function is allowing temporary boot to stock rom to update prl, calibrate screen etc.
    I remove this to easily apply memset fix so I can compile the kernel source with linaro gcc 4.8, which should be give a better optimization
    Notest are back to kitkat :)
    Just curious, Why you were rebranding nitest to notest?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

it happened by an accident :D usually I change the branch name because it's difficult to apply new patch to the recent branch (too many commits to revert back)

in the beginning of notest commit, I've plan to create a stable branch without too many additions.. but I can stop myself to try something & too lazy to switch between branches ;) so, here it is the "no-test" became "ni(ghtly) test" & going further with experimental cma, lz4, zcache etc... it should be "nu(tty crazy) test" in essential :D
    Testing the cma patches in a cm kernel now, with 408MB ram. Gonna see what blows up. Video playback was a bit funky, but it fixed itself after a reboot so not sure what that was about.