[BOOT ANIMATION] Retro Style

Search This thread

Sistum Id

Jan 2, 2009
Phoenix
Awesome job!!

I had one like this for my G1 when they finally were able to do motion boot screens. I had one for my Nexus One up until CM6/CM7 started using the more flashy bootscreen by default.

Instien

Aug 11, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
I got tired of that default animation so I whipped this one up to replace it. It's based off of the one from the Nexus One but completely re-done and optimized for the Xoom. This retro style BIOS POST animation is reminiscent of those older PCs we all miss and love.

ihtfp69, I'm extremely glad to see you doing some work on the xoom. I've been a huge fan of the skyraider rom for the incredible for a while now, and have my xoom on order. I should have it in just a couple days, and i'm sure some of your work will be applied to my xoom within the first hour!

ihtfp69

Feb 22, 2009
Thanks a bunch for this. I have not played around with adb much, so this was a learning experience for me as well.

Not that I am going to do this anytime soon, but if we need to put it back to stock how can we uninstall this?

Now that I've gone this far, maybe rooting and overclocking are next ;-)

Just delete it from /data/local to revert to the original.

bbaldino

Jun 5, 2009
Must this be copied over via adb push? From what I've read adb push looks like just a normal copy, so I'm trying to do this manually using dropbox and es file explorer, but not having any luck. The .zip file should just go in /data/local? Or it should be extracted there? I tried both, but neither seemed to work.

ihtfp69

Feb 22, 2009
Must this be copied over via adb push? From what I've read adb push looks like just a normal copy, so I'm trying to do this manually using dropbox and es file explorer, but not having any luck. The .zip file should just go in /data/local? Or it should be extracted there? I tried both, but neither seemed to work.

If you don't use adb, you must be rooted and use either a terminal app or root explorer. I don't think other file explorers can see the directory.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

Reactions: bbaldino

Dubar

Feb 27, 2011
Lakeland, FL
My only complaint about this is that it can't keep up with my xoom. Only once did it get as far as the android, but usually my xoom is booted long before then. Thanks for this though, stock bootani is ugly

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

jmr144k

Sep 17, 2010
If you don't use adb, you must be rooted and use either a terminal app or root explorer. I don't think other file explorers can see the directory.

If I am rooted and use Root Explorer to access /data/local, do I just copy the zip file there or do I extract it there?

catttman

Apr 26, 2009
Cleveland Ohio
Just delete it from /data/local to revert to the original.

Q what if .. I forgot to add /local to my data dir ... and pushed it anyways (it does work) where do I find the zip file in case I like to remove it and go back to stock .... and I just like to know where it was pushed to since theres no /local dir in my xoom
thanks
(I pushed it before I noticed theres no /local dir)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got tired of that default animation so I whipped this one up to replace it. It's based off of the one from the Nexus One but completely re-done and optimized for the Xoom. This retro style BIOS POST animation is reminiscent of those older PCs we all miss and love.

This will work for both rooted and non-rooted Xooms. If yours is not rooted, you can place this in /data/local and it will still work. If your Xoom is rooted, you can place it in /system/media or /data/local. Let me know how you like it and don't forget about the Thanks button.

Code:
    adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local

Click Here to Download

Click each thumbnail for a hi-res preview

video preview
    I removed root and locked it back up before the OTA.

I can't find a data/local to put this zip in.

Do you need to boot into recovery and push this via adb if you're not rooted?

I did the same thing. If that directory is not there, you can create it.

Code:
    adb shell mkdir /data/local
    adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

Q what if .. I forgot to add /local to my data dir ... and pushed it anyways (it does work) where do I find the zip file in case I like to remove it and go back to stock .... and I just like to know where it was pushed to since theres no /local dir in my xoom
    thanks
    (I pushed it before I noticed theres no /local dir)

It's there even if you can't see it. Just connect through adb and do

Code:
    rm /data/local/bootanimation.zip
    Can we get an update to ICS? Android 4.0.3?

Many THANKS!!!!