[ROOT/UNROOT/Custom Recoveries/Kernels/Roms] AT&T Galaxy Note ONLY!/ No Flash Counter

Search This thread

roloracer

Jul 8, 2008
Kissimmee
[ROOT/UNROOT/Custom Recoveries/Kernels/Roms] AT&T Galaxy Note ONLY!/ No Flash Counter

THIS IS A GINGERBREAD ROOTING METHOD, FOR WHEN YOU FIRST GET THE PHONE OUT OF THE BOX, THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH NEW OFFICIAL ICS.

This method is for people that have a AT&TGalaxy Note only and want to have root in the stock rom without tripping the flash counter only, For everything else look at the bottom of the first post!!
If you want root to flash a custom rom/kernel/CWM and you don't care about the flash counter and the warranty then this is not for you.
Go here for other root!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1504218

Now I went ahead and put the files together in one zip to make it simpler, it contains the root zip, the odin and the samsung usb drivers, all the files needed in one download .
DOWNLOAD: Big File: 532mb in size
http://goo.gl/aq2Wl

After the download follow this steps made by capite.

Extract Odin but don't launch it, run the samsung drivers for your phone on the PC and install it. Then plug in your phone to make sure it works -- it seems to take a while to get everything working. If you get an error, try rebooting and try again. Also, try using the cable that came with your phone -- 3d party cables don't always seem to work. If it still doesn't work, try another USB port.

1. Turn off your phone and uplug it. Take the battery out of your phone, put it back in, and hold the volume down button and power button at the same time. Keep them held down until the phone starts buzzing and you see the Samsung name.

2. At this point you are either in download mode or the phone will tell you to hit volume up, at which point you'll be ready.

3. Run Odin on your PC -- right click and choose "Run as Administrator" just to be safe.

4. Plug your phone into your PC.

5. In the Odin screen, wait until one of the top boxes turns yellow and displays some numbers.

6. UNCHECK all the boxes except for Auto Reboot.

7. Hit the PDA button and navigate to mashi's file that you unzipped.

8. Hit start

9. wait until your phone reboots.

10. If it didn't work, try rebooting and starting from scratch.

11. verify super user app now present. Update super user app (optional).

If you want to go back to unrooted, download this .tar file and flash thru odin! http://goo.gl/BBdow
Thanks to Da_G !
Flashing back to stock thru odin by using the stock tar in case of brick will increase the flash counter.

Enjoy and hit the thanks button if it helps you. :D

UPDATE: Custom Recoveries/Kernels/Roms without tripping the flash counter go here.! http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23229071&postcount=57
UPDATE 2: Unrooting guide for AT&T go here.! http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23499670&postcount=133

Last edited:

zaptor99

Aug 8, 2007
Since this is a System root, will it replace my Rogers ROM with AT&T ROM? I understand Rogers ROM has more features that are disabled on AT&T (NFC, Tethering, some apps).

Reactions: tizzy

roloracer

Jul 8, 2008
Kissimmee
Since this is a System root, will it replace my Rogers ROM with AT&T ROM? I understand Rogers ROM has more features that are disabled on AT&T (NFC, Tethering, some apps).

This will change the Rom and give issues to any other Rom besides stock AT&T rom when making root permissions.

Sorry but I edited this post to inform the people that only scroll thru the first page only!

Last edited:

zozodouce

Nov 3, 2010
i used Da_G root

So I'm making this thread because the one made by mashi has a dead link and it says it will increase the flash counter when it doesn't.

So thanks to mashi and thanks to capite for his instructions, I'm just doing a clean thread to avoid the multiple question threads in the Q&A about anybody having root without the flash counter going up.

anyone that finds this steps by capite helpful , please hit his thanks button. :cool:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22920576&postcount=87

If the moderators find this thread unecessary you can delete it, just trying to help keep things organized.

to root my note, can you tell me if i use this if this will reverse the Counter.

EvoXOhio

Mar 23, 2011
not to my knowledge, this shouldn't change anything but the root permissions, I didn't have to do anything after, not even a factory reset. this has the system.img.ext4 in it, I'm sorry but I don't know if it would change anything in your rom besides root permissions, I didn't create this file, just helping to provide it. :) .

i believe this method replaces the entire system partition so he will lose stuff like nfc. once cwm is working fully I'm sure someone will create a flashable zip that just adds root without replacing the whole partition.

tbran

May 28, 2008
Syracuse, NY
i believe this method replaces the entire system partition so he will lose stuff like nfc. once cwm is working fully I'm sure someone will create a flashable zip that just adds root without replacing the whole partition.

Not sure how it's done, but the entire stock rom including nfc service 2.3.6 is still intact. There is nothing missing or unusable from the original LA1 rom. Also since there is no hard reset, user data isn't affected. Again, we need mashi or someone far smarter than me to tell us exactly how this works. All I know is that it does.

Sent via Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy Note™ SGH-I717

Last edited:
Reactions: macqueyl

roloracer

Jul 8, 2008
Kissimmee
so I guess if you want cwm to work, you'll have to use Da_G's Kernel Root?

Why, you flash cwm thru Odin and cwm increases the flash counter so this method would be pointless if you're not worried about your flash counter, if you don't care about the flash counter then use DA_G method of rooting/overclock kernel, this method is just for the people that are concern about the flash counter and want to get root.

Sent from my awesome Galaxy Note!

roloracer

Jul 8, 2008
Kissimmee
Oh, cwm itself increases it....

Yes you're replacing the stock recovery with a custom recovery, even when is available thru Rom manager as an official version of cwm, is still considered a custom recovery. Even the stock modified replacement recovery in here it will come up as custom when you flash it and will trip the flash counter if Im correct.

Reactions: demigodchewtoy

sixstringsg

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 11, 2009
Dallas, TX
I assume this is doable via heimdall, correct? It looks like it's just a system image, which can be flashed with Heimdall.

Edit: Heimdall doesn't work on the Galaxy Note. Sad day.

Last edited:

jasonblaine23

Jun 16, 2010
Las Vegas
When I follow the directions to root my device my entire computer freezes once I press start. This is happening when I try to root using Da_G's method or the method from this thread. All the help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

roloracer

Jul 8, 2008
Kissimmee
When I follow the directions to root my device my entire computer freezes once I press start. This is happening when I try to root using Da_G's method or the method from this thread. All the help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

there must be something wrong with your pc, you're the first person that I hear is having issues with odin, make sure the drivers are properly working.

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
I may wait a bit before I root but if I was to use this method I or we wont have any issues flashing roms once they come available right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

roloracer

Jul 8, 2008
Kissimmee
I may wait a bit before I root but if I was to use this method I or we wont have any issues flashing roms once they come available right?

No, this is a system root to be able to have root on the stock rom and avoid tripping the flash counter, if you flash a rom I'm pretty sure you will loose this root, but if you are planning on flashing a rom and the counter is not a concern then you need the perm-root in DA_G thread.

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
No, this is a system root to be able to have root on the stock rom and avoid tripping the flash counter, if you flash a rom I'm pretty sure you will loose this root, but if you are planning on flashing a rom and the counter is not a concern then you need the perm-root in DA_G thread.

Oh, I thought this method would allow root and flashing of roms without tripping the counter. So there is no fix for the counter? I've read posts off people asking how to remove trips etc. So in a nut shell if you are planning on flashing roms at this time there is no fix for the counter so use the other root method?

roloracer

Jul 8, 2008
Kissimmee
Oh, I thought this method would allow root and flashing of roms without tripping the counter. So there is no fix for the counter? I've read posts off people asking how to remove trips etc. So in a nut shell if you are planning on flashing roms at this time there is no fix for the counter so use the other root method?

no only this root won't, once you go flashing custom roms/kernels/recoveries it will trip the counter as of now, hopefully soon there will be a way to fix this.

no only this root won't, once you go flashing custom roms/kernels/recoveries it will trip the counter as of now, hopefully soon there will be a way to fix this.

can u help me with my situation i am trying to flash this in oden but it just hangs there is this because of my flashing the cwm recovery , i thought that it might be so i tried to reflash the stock recovery and now that just hangs , everything shows as connected in device manager on this pc which is a clean xp ...also it boots up fine

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

THIS IS A GINGERBREAD ROOTING METHOD, FOR WHEN YOU FIRST GET THE PHONE OUT OF THE BOX, THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH NEW OFFICIAL ICS.

This method is for people that have a AT&TGalaxy Note only and want to have root in the stock rom without tripping the flash counter only, For everything else look at the bottom of the first post!!
    If you want root to flash a custom rom/kernel/CWM and you don't care about the flash counter and the warranty then this is not for you.
    Go here for other root!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1504218

Now I went ahead and put the files together in one zip to make it simpler, it contains the root zip, the odin and the samsung usb drivers, all the files needed in one download .
    DOWNLOAD: Big File: 532mb in size
    http://goo.gl/aq2Wl

After the download follow this steps made by capite.

Extract Odin but don't launch it, run the samsung drivers for your phone on the PC and install it. Then plug in your phone to make sure it works -- it seems to take a while to get everything working. If you get an error, try rebooting and try again. Also, try using the cable that came with your phone -- 3d party cables don't always seem to work. If it still doesn't work, try another USB port.

1. Turn off your phone and uplug it. Take the battery out of your phone, put it back in, and hold the volume down button and power button at the same time. Keep them held down until the phone starts buzzing and you see the Samsung name.

2. At this point you are either in download mode or the phone will tell you to hit volume up, at which point you'll be ready.

3. Run Odin on your PC -- right click and choose "Run as Administrator" just to be safe.

4. Plug your phone into your PC.

5. In the Odin screen, wait until one of the top boxes turns yellow and displays some numbers.

6. UNCHECK all the boxes except for Auto Reboot.

7. Hit the PDA button and navigate to mashi's file that you unzipped.

8. Hit start

9. wait until your phone reboots.

10. If it didn't work, try rebooting and starting from scratch.

11. verify super user app now present. Update super user app (optional).

If you want to go back to unrooted, download this .tar file and flash thru odin! http://goo.gl/BBdow
    Thanks to Da_G !
    Flashing back to stock thru odin by using the stock tar in case of brick will increase the flash counter.

Enjoy and hit the thanks button if it helps you. :D

UPDATE: Custom Recoveries/Kernels/Roms without tripping the flash counter go here.! http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23229071&postcount=57
    UPDATE 2: Unrooting guide for AT&T go here.! http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23499670&postcount=133
    Ok So here is the instructions made by Da_G that I followed last night but I was having a syntax error when I was inputting the command line thru adb, but with the help of Brittoking I was able to get a working command to make it happen. I incorporated both of their instructions to make this guide to help you guys to do what I did without touching the flash counter., so thanks to Da_G and Brittoking for their help, push their thanks button if you see them :D

Okay lets get going!

If you don't already have it set up, you need adb(android debug bridge) setup in your pc to be able to do this
    *If you don't know what adb is and you still want to be able to get this done, I suggest to search android sdk and get everything you need to get this done.*

Now with adb ready to go you follow this steps to get clockworkmod recovery, overclocking kernel and or flashing any CWM ready rom without tripping the flash counter.
    Make sure USB Debugging is on in settings/development/usb debugging!
    1.) Flash rooted system.img via odin (If you already rooted the phone with the method here in this thread then skip this step)
    At this point your phone should be powered on , connected to the pc where you can see both internal and external storage on your pc!
    2.) Download the latest beta3 Clockworkmod recovery from here.(Thanks Braway) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1526431 Or download desired recovery and continue.
    3.) Extract recovery.img from tar, or get the cwm flashable zip and extract from there!
    4.) Place the recovery.img you just extracted from the cwm zip/tar you downloaded in the root of the internal sd card.
    5.) Copy any other CWM zips (roms/da_g overclocking kernel/etc) you wish to apply in the root of the /sd card/
    6.) Run it with the phone on(booted into android, not download mode or recovery mode), that's considered adb "mode". Enter the command as I'm doing it here (i.e. If I change lines that means you press return in the command prompt):
    adb shell
    su
    (# will pop up, if you don't see the # icon in the command line check the phone in case is asking for root access) then this next command line:
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22
    I suggest after you input adb shell/su and you get the root symbol (#)Copy and paste this comand line to avoid mistyping

At that point the command prompt should flash some bytes of info over to your device, when that's done enter the command
    reboot recovery

7.) You will boot to CWM, and then you install any and all zips from there.

Et. Voila, rooted, custom kernel, custom recovery, custom rom, without triggering flash counter.

I hope this helps everyone and if you have any questions regarding this and not regarding issues setting up adb don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again to Da_G and Brittoking.

Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for your actions, if this makes your Note catch on fire or explode in your hands is not my fault!:D
    Ok so this will help you in case of wanting to go back to complete stock and avoid once again tripping the flash counter.

Disclaimer: This steps are based on the AT&T Note and if you have a Canadian version shouldn't use since you will end up with AT&T stuff inside the phone.

Make sure you have the stock kernel from AT&T, get it here! http://www.box.com/s/gherm13vba9db9lgynty
    After download , transfer to your sd card.

Download the stock odin .rar http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1506330
    and extract it in your pc and transfer the recovery.img(stock 3e recovery) to your sd card.

1.) If you have a custom rom you should restore any nandroid backup from the stock rom(which hopefully you made before flashing a custom rom).(this is only going to apply if you have had made a backup before you flashed any custom rom, if you're still in the stock rom then skip this step)

2.) Once you restore the backup, reboot and check that the rom is back to stock form.(this is only going to apply if you have had made a backup before you flashed any custom rom, if you're still in the stock rom then skip this step)
    3.)Boot into clockworkmod recovery, wipe cache, go to advanced and wipe dalvik cache, and flash stock kernel zip.

4.) Now reboot the phone and let the phone start up and settle down a bit(a few minutes)

5.)Plug it in to the pc and once the phone connects open command prompt and get ready for adb.

6.) Run it with the phone on(booted into android, not download mode or recovery mode), that's considered adb "mode". Enter the command as I'm doing it here (i.e. If I change lines that means you press return in the command prompt):
    adb shell
    su

(# will pop up, if you don't see the # icon in the command line check the phone in case is asking for root access) then this next command line:
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 I suggest after you input adb shell/su and you get the root symbol (#)Copy and paste this comand line to avoid mistyping

At that point the command prompt should flash some bytes of info over to your device, when that's done it should've flashed the stock recovery back in.

7.)Still in adb , going to remove SU stuff from system: (thanks keplenk)

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

# rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
    # rm /system/xbin/busybox
    # rm /system/xbin/su

8.)Now then we need to remove write access and go back to read-only.

# mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    Now type:
    reboot recovery

9.)Now you should see the 3E recovery from stock, if you do reboot and hold down the volume button until you get prompted by the phone about not flashing custom firmwares and press volume up and go into download mode.

10.)Once in download mode flash the unroot tar I have in my thread in the first post via odin and reboot afterwards, now the phone should be with stock kernel, stock recovery and unrooted.

I wanted to thank keplenk again for guinea piggin' his note to test this and verifying no flash counter was tripped with this process, and hope it helps people that need to fully revert back incase of return or shipping to Samsung , Now don't blame me if this makes your phone come to life and take over your neighborhood, or your house explodes!!! :D
    My man bluetint came through with the amazing Bell ROM rooted with CWM!! Check it out in the q and a thread, and once again, DO NOT DOWNLOAD this root if you are a Rogers or Bell user!! You lose NFC among other things. Faulty information given at the beginning of the thread that should be changed immediately.

Faulty information, can't read in the title of the thread says AT&T NOTE! I717, NOT I717R OR ANYTHING ELSE!!!! but for those who can't read plain English I'll update the op, and apologize for any miscomunication in the info.

FIRST POST, TITLE AND THIRD POST EDITED TO AVOID ANY FURTHER MISUNDERSTANDING!

Sent from my 1.8ghz Galaxy Note!
    Did you find an answer for this? My i717 has already been flashed to stock ICS and I am looking to root it. I've been searching and only seem to find info for rooting gingerbread.

this method was big when we didn't have a way to reset the flash counter, and people didn't want their counter to go up, but since the reset was made I didn't bother to make a rooted system from ics, like the gingerbread method.

What I recommend you do is this. Download all these files, make sure to get the odin version of cwm.
    Transfer the ics root zip to your sd card, boot into download mode and flash cwm recovery with odin(this will raise the counter), once finished, boot from download to recovery(from download, hold the power button for 8 seconds until you feel the vibration and when you do hold the two volume buttons and let go of the power button but keep holding the volume buttons until it boots into cwm recovery.) and flash the ics root zip and reboot, you can do the flash counter step after this if you really care about it, after that I recommend TWRP recovery , much better than CWM.

ICS Root http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1581185&highlight=ics+root

Clockworkmod recovery for odin http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1526431

flash counter reset http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1569206