[GUIDE] CWM-flashable AT&T UCALH9 OTA

Search This thread

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
I need to see the full error message, specifically which file the apply_patch_check is failing for.

The error I get is right after "Verifying current system"

assert failed: apply_patch_check("EMMC: /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 : 5712128 : fb95a5d43d651be3972f96e8d6d2eb181a9fc66b : 5703936 : c1662e87c5d06b735cb46b9673876727f65cb48b","fb95a5d43d651be3972f96e8d6d2eb181a9fc66b")
E:Error in /sdcard/I747UGLH9_OTA.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Thanks!

mmcblk0p7 is the kernel. Do you have a custom kernel installed? If so, you can try the "no_kernel" zip in the OP (I haven't tried it myself, but it should work) or you can revert back to the LG1 stock kernel (you can get it here) and then proceed.

jordanmc109

Nov 20, 2011
The error I get is right after "Verifying current system"

assert failed: apply_patch_check("EMMC: /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 : 5712128 : fb95a5d43d651be3972f96e8d6d2eb181a9fc66b : 5703936 : c1662e87c5d06b735cb46b9673876727f65cb48b","fb95a5d 43d651be3972f96e8d6d2eb181a9fc66b")
E:Error in /sdcard/I747UGLH9_OTA.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I get the exact same error. Possibly because I have Google Wallet installed and to do that I have to install a zip to modify the NFC libs and that possibly messes with the kernel??

Last edited:

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
I get the exact same error. Possibly because I have Google Wallet installed and to do that I have to install a zip to modify the NFC libs and that possibly messes with the kernel??

It's not a library, it's the kernel itself, so it's probably not related to Google Wallet. Try flashing the LG1 kernel I linked to and then try again. Google Wallet may prevent it from working too, but the error you quoted is from the kernel itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jordanmc109

Nov 20, 2011
Ok I did that and now I am getting:

assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/GoogleTTS.apk", "65933477a698d6192ab3b5750166fc24fb65ca1b", "286f7a49454a8923401a45a7cf356a2a73b0ce2")

Probably has something to do with me adding Google Now I'm sure.

sorry I cannot quote...too much of a newbie to XDA.

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
thank you for making this. it works for me but now my device status is Modified.

Device Status Modified is nothing to worry about. It means you have some software installed that is considered "dangerous" like Busybox or Superuser. If you Odin back to stock LG1, it will go away. Even the flash counter is no worries now that we have Triangle Away.

hokiemoto

Mar 30, 2009
Would anyone be kind enough to post the SamsungCamera.apk and SecMms.apk out of this? Thanks!

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
Removed all the Google Now modifications and still getting the same error.

That error is because the checksum for that file is not what the updater expects, which means it's not the same as the file from stock LG1. The easiest way forward for you is to use Odin to flash the root-injected LG1 ROM, reinstall your favorite recovery, then come back and do this. Or look at the other OTA thread for other alternatives.

If you do flash the LG1, you'll lose Universal Search. But you can always re-install it using the link here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426&highlight=googlequicksearchbox+apk

Jaskwith

Nov 15, 2010
Minneapolis,MN
www.facebook.com
Strange thing happened to me when I used your method....it worked and all but I lost like all my pictures.... I didn't lose movies that I recently put on my SD card in a desperate folder or music. I am thinking it must have just been a specific path that got erased because like I said its only the pictures I lost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

amchandr

Oct 19, 2009
To everyone who is getting this error > assert failed: apply_patch_check("EMMC: /dev/block/mmcblk0p7apply_patch_check("EMMC: /dev/block/mmcblk0p7

I had also received this error even though i was on UCALG1. As OP indicated in the initial post, make a nandroid backup and then flash the stock rom link provided by OP (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426), then patch the I747UCALH9_OTA.zip update provided by OP. You can re-install CWM recovery touch version and then root the device by Samsung GS3 QCom ToolKit.

I am able to re-install stock, patch the UCALH9, install cwm and root successfully.

Reactions: Randyr4w

stan.s

Aug 29, 2010
NYC metro
I got a fail on /system/app/googleTTS.apk I have google Now installed.

fwiw, I ended up flashing MrRobinson's etc and then your CWM..... didn't lose any apps, etc. But I had to try Mobile Odin Pro and that caused some additional errors in between, along with the Google Now stuff.

Last edited:

amnigo

Jun 4, 2009
NY
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I think I know the answer, but just wanted to double check here.

I am on LG1, but flashed the LH1 modem. Am I unable to flash this update in that scenario?

If so, if I just flash the LG1 modem back would I be good to go with this update, or would I need to do a full system flash back to stock LG1?

Thanks in advance.

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
I think I know the answer, but just wanted to double check here.

I am on LG1, but flashed the LH1 modem. Am I unable to flash this update in that scenario?

If so, if I just flash the LG1 modem back would I be good to go with this update, or would I need to do a full system flash back to stock LG1?

Thanks in advance.

You can just flash the LG1 modem.

Reactions: amnigo

cruzad3r

Dec 6, 2010
Device Status Modified is nothing to worry about. It means you have some software installed that is considered "dangerous" like Busybox or Superuser. If you Odin back to stock LG1, it will go away. Even the flash counter is no worries now that we have Triangle Away.

but i like my device said Normal lol

thanks for making this flash btw; very easy and quick

fmllc

May 24, 2012
All is good excep wifi mod doesn't seem to be working...keep getting that damn annoying blah blah blah is connected popup!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've put together a zip file with the I747UCLH9 AT&T OTA update that can be flashed using CWM/TWRP. This file
    • preserves root
    • does not include the Google search update (so you can keep universal search if you want it)
    • does not wipe /data
    • does require removing all themes and modifications

Standard disclaimer: I am not responsible if this bricks your phone, destroys your IMEI or kills your kids.

Prerequisites: You have to be on stock I747UCALG1 for this to work. It may be rooted, but all the standard AT&T and Samsung bloatware must be there with no modifications. It's okay if some of the apps are frozen with Titanium Backup. You must not have any other mods or themes applied. The updater will check this stuff and abort if anything is wrong. I personally restored a nandroid backup I made right after rooting. If you didn't make one, you can use Odin and the instructions here to go back to stock.

To apply it:
    1. Boot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
    2. Go back to AT&T UCALG1 rooted stock if necessary (see above). If you're already on stock UCALG1 but have framework-res.apk modications applied, you can flash this zip to restore framework-res.apk to UCALG1 stock.
    3. Make sure CWM recovery from clockworkmod.com or TWRP is installed. The recovery from Team Epic will not work.
    4. Put one of the zip files from below on your internal or external SD card.
    5. Boot into recovery
    6. Flash the attached zip
    7. Wipe cache and dalvik cache (optional?)
    8. (Optional) Go to Backup and Restore, Advanced Restore and restore the /data from the nandroid backup you made in step 1. If you used a nadroid backup in step 2, this should restore your data and apps. If you used Odin to flash the rooted UCALG1 image, this step isn't necessary.
    9. Reboot
    10. Open Settings / Application Manager. Choose All tab. Click on AT&T Software update. Clear "Clear data". If you were getting OTA notifications before, this will prevent them from recurring. After doing this, your phone will know it's up-to-date.

This worked for me. I checked that my flash counter is still at 0 and Google search is still finding local stuff like apps. I still have root.

Here's an alternative way to apply the OTA that doesn't require having stock UCALG1 installed first:
    1. Download all the files in the PIECES section below.
    2. Go into recovery and flash them all before rebooting. Make sure you flash the kernel file after the ROM file.

DOWNLOADS:
    • I747UCALH9_OTA.zip: This is the full OTA, with kernel and bootloader. You must be using the stock UCALG1 kernel for this to work. MD5: dabaddcfadd250e8389fe387cd3a9ba2
    • I747UCALH9_OTA_no_kernel.zip: This is the OTA without the kernel. You can use this if you're already running a non-stock kernel. MD5: 7e304f087f7d3e2096c7e30f745df38c
    • I747UGLH9_OTA_no_kernel_bootloader_modem.zip: This is the OTA without the kernel, bootloader, or modem. It's just the ROM updates. MD5: 6602fd89a3b49db1ab9128c9d9725812

MODS:
    This process requires the stock framework-res.apk, so at this point you'll need to reapply any mods you already applied. Here are some mods that I've rebuilt against LH9. All are zip files you can apply through recovery.

PIECES:
    • Bootloader: This zip installs just the LH9 bootloader. MD5: 750ce5b2d0fd4476998a8b9e8194c26a
    • Modem: The modem can be found in this thread.
    • ROM: This zip installs a complete rooted copy of the LH9 ROM. Unlike the OTA zip above, it does not require that an unmodified LG1 ROM is already installed, but it is much larger (700 MB). You can flash this and all the other pieces in this section to flash an entire LH9 installation. MD5: 1df5aa24f2fe8fd65299a86f050da947
    • Kernel: This zip will install just the LH9 kernel and associated kernel modules. MD5: 62475e6701aac016732fb0d7d4b781db

TROUBLESHOOTING:
    If the zip file aborts with an error, it's most likely because one of the files it wants to patch has been modified from stock LG1. The OTA is not a complete ROM but is a set of binary patches to the LG1 files, so the files it wants to patch must be unchanged from LG1.

The zip file checks that the files are unmodified before proceeding and prints out the first modified file it finds if something is wrong. If something does wrong, read the error message because it will tell you want the problem is. If you want to post to this thread, include the full error message in your post. This normally includes the string "assert".

CREDITS:
    • Tether mod: electron73
    • Cell Standby fix: bala_gamer and Anderilux
    • No Increasing Ring mod: yoelsd and criskelo
    • Enable Call Recording mod: wanam
    • Remove Wifi Notification mod: vlara
    • 15 Toggles mod: wanam, Celmerine for the flashlight fix, and electron73 for the ICS themed lidroid-res.apk file.
    • Extended Power Menu mod: magn2o and sphinx02
    Apologies for what will be the most newbish post of your day..

My phone updated already, so I'm already on CALH9 and am totally stock. I'd like to root my phone so that ClockSync will work. I don't need any other mods at all. I pretty much like the phone as is except that it cannot keep time. Is this the mod for me? Can I apply the kernel or do I need to go back, then forward again?

Rooting LH9 is apparently a little tricky. This method should work:
    1. Download Odin from here.
    2. Download the attached twrp-2.2.2.0.tar to your computer.
    3. Download the attached remove-OTA-recovery.zip to your phone (internal or external SD card).
    4. Download SuperSU CWM zip file from here to your phone.
    5. Boot into Download mode by turning off the device, then holding Vol. Down and the Home key while pressing Power.
    6. Start Odin. Connect your phone to the computer. You should see a green square come up in the ID:COM section of Odin.
    7. Press the PDA button and select twrp-2.2.2.0.tar.
    8. Uncheck the Auto Reboot option in Odin.
    9. Press Start.
    10. Wait for RESET! to appear in the top left of Odin, then disconnect your phone and pull the battery.
    11. Boot into Recovery by holding Vol. Up and the Home key while pressing Power. Release as soon as you see the Samsung logo flash with little blue text in the top-left.
    12. Flash the SuperSU zip and remove-OTA-recovery.zip. Make sure zip file signature verification is off when flashing remove-OTA-recovery.zip.
    13. Reboot into the system.

The LH9 OTA installs two files that restore stock recovery every time you boot. The remove-OTA-recovery.zip file removes those files. (See this post for more details.)

This process will trip the flash counter, so install Triangle Away once you have root to remove it.

Hope this helps. Please report back if you try it.
    good start.. but still need a version that can be applied on top of lh1
    thanks

Why? Just restore your nandroid from LG1 (you have one, right?) or ODIN back to LG1, then apply the OTA. The OTA is a patch against LG1, so it can't be applied on top of LH1. If you refuse to go back to LG1, you'll need to wait for AT&T to release the full LH9 ROM as an Odin file.

Great work! Before I give it a try, I wanted to ask if the mods are also rebuilt against LH9. It doesn't seem so from the description, so I wanted to make sure before I decide to give it a go. Thanks.

Yes, they are. The OP had a typo that I've since corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

Can I use the OP steps if I updated the OTA but it said it failed?

Probably not, because the OTA is a patch for LG1 and is not complete. You're best bet is to go back to LG1 and then apply the zip.

So my question is if your using a custom rom there's really no need to update this right? I mean if I flash back to stock and then update and reflash a custom rom its kinda defeats the purpose I'm assuming.

In addition to the ROM, the OTA also updates the modem, kernel, and bootloader. The modem is already available in the modem thread. I will eventually make a zip with the kernel and can also make one with just the bootloader if anyone's interested.

To answer your question, if you go back to LG1, flash the OTA, then reflash your custom ROM, you will have changed the modem, kernel, and bootloader but not the ROM.
    The only other thing I would like is call record if at all possible.

I added a mod that enables call recording and removes increasing ring to the MODS section of the OP. If anyone wants one with just call recording, please let me know.
    i just got my S3 it came with LH9 but i flashed a rooted LG1. I am just wondering what is even the advantage of going through this process to update it back to LH9?

The brightness bar and some bug fixes. For example, with LG1, music goes to my bluetooth even when I have something plugged into the headphone jack, but with LH9 it doesn't.