[RECOVERY] CWMR 5.0.2.7 for the SGHI927(R) - Alpha

Search This thread

doode2011

Dec 7, 2011
I have a strange problem. I made a backup with 5.0.27 and then installed ICS ROM. Then I tried to restore the backup and restore failed. For all files that were with .tar extension in the backup folder, CWMR complained that cannot find .img file. Any ideas?

It was a bad backup. I had that same problem and I always make sure now that when I backup, all the files are there.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using xda premium

thomaspkc

Aug 8, 2010
Hi guys,

I tried installing clockworkmod recovery using odin and CWMR5x_i927_recovery.tar on my rooted i927r. I get a green pass in odin. After auto reboot, when I open rom manager, it says that i must have clockworkmod recovery installed to flash and restore roms or to backup current rom.

Can someone give help me with this issue please? Is it because I flashed ClockworkMod Recovery Version 6.0.0.1 Touch before flashing CWMR 5.0.2.7?

dudejb

Feb 16, 2007
Montreal
Hi guys,

I tried installing clockworkmod recovery using odin and CWMR5x_i927_recovery.tar on my rooted i927r. I get a green pass in odin. After auto reboot, when I open rom manager, it says that i must have clockworkmod recovery installed to flash and restore roms or to backup current rom.

Can someone give help me with this issue please? Is it because I flashed ClockworkMod Recovery Version 6.0.0.1 Touch before flashing CWMR 5.0.2.7?

Sorry I do not believe Glide supports ROM manager. You can boot into CWM with the key combination. I think its volume down and power (always get it confused with recovery volume up and power) if I'm wrong, well if I mixed those 2 up some one please correct.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using xda app-developers app

thomaspkc

Aug 8, 2010
oh, I misunderstood how it works. Thank you for correcting me, I managed to backup my phone. It is volume down and power (about 10secs).

Sorry I do not believe Glide supports ROM manager. You can boot into CWM with the key combination. I think its volume down and power (always get it confused with recovery volume up and power) if I'm wrong, well if I mixed those 2 up some one please correct.

Reactions: BigDawgHQ

bs27975

Sep 27, 2012
K-W, ON, Canada
you can try Flashing cwm then download this zip, put it to SDcard then flash via CWM. I have not tried this step before so you're on your own here.
Thanks!!! A LOT!. Directly Flashing the superuser app didn't worked. It ended on install aborted.

... i was able to do a nandroid backup.

SGH-I927R (Roger's.) here.

Thanks to this thread I was able to find odin (PC side) and install cwm. And run a backup.

Upon rebooting, I was not able to find the backup file(s?) from the PC. I can see it (I assume) on the pda at /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/<YYYY-MM-DD.HH.MM.SS> {/sdcard being a link to /mnt/sdcard AFAICT. (?)}. If I put the pda in usb storage mode I am able to see the backup files.
- is this where backups land?
- this backup is what is known as a 'nandroid' backup? (I can see a small nandroid.md5 file, but I can't otherwise connect the two terms 'nandroid' and 'cwm' as being related to each other. [The description for cwm says it does nandroid backups, but nowhere else do these terms seem connected / related.])
- is it expected to not see the files unless one is in usb storage mode?
- it's noted elsewhere in this thread that "ROM Manager" from play.google is not compatible with the Glide. Is there an alternate way to just plug in the phone and be able to squirrel off a copy of the backup to the PC?

The 'download this zip' doesn't appear to be a link to a file, but rather to a page. The page notes versions of downloads for Arm and x86, but the Glide is a Tegra2 IIUC. (So I don't wonder none worked for sigiloso.)

Is there an alternate link? (IIUC, in essence, an su binary needs to get onto the phone [things calling root do so via calls to su, and if su is not there, well, things are unhappy, and unsuccessful], and there is an app side - although the app side can be provided by Superuser in the play store, it looks like the intended zip also provides it.)

I am trying to be able to take advantage of root while doing the least amount / stay as stock as possible (less done, less to eff up as I traverse this learning curve). e.g. Titanium backup, busybox (surely I can create links so apps that insist on files being in certain places can be repointed to dropbox deposits!), and whatever else seems useful. [Read - why the h isn't it here in the first place, but never mind that.]​

Am I understanding correctly here/above / proceeding in an appropriate fashion?

Would anyone have a link to the necessary su package for the Glide / Tegra2?

Thanks (VERY MUCH!) in advance.

Last edited:

Evil Alex

Mar 11, 2012
Your questions are many and a bit scattered around, but I'll try to answer what I can.

CWM backups to sdcard/clockworkmod/backup

In that location it creates a folder using the time-stamp as the name. IF you're using CWM 6, then there is a folder named 'blobs' as well as 'backup'. These blobs are also part of the backup. CWM 5 doesn't use a 'blobs' folder. For obvious reasons you can rename the folder, changing it to something more humanly recognisable than a time-stamp. Just don't use spaces in that name!

You can copy the backups to a PC via the media interface or mounting the USB-storage. For more information do a web-search.

As for the super-user thing: You can download it from androidsu/superuser. Get the one for ARM devices, version 3.2-RC3.

It is a zip file that you can just install through CWM. This should be enough to root your device if you're on ICS. Might work on GB as well, I don't know. For future reference, in general all smartphones run on ARM architecture, regardless of WHO made the chip. Just as both Intel and AMD use the x86 architecture, even though they are competitors.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: bs27975

bs27975

Sep 27, 2012
K-W, ON, Canada
Thanks very much for this.

Your questions are many and a bit scattered around, but I'll try to answer what I can.

:D Granted - reflects sinking into the ecosystem. Now, in hindsight, I'm seeing how much irrelevant stuff I've chewed through, but there was no way to know it was irrelevant at the time. But you can't know it's irrelevant until ... :D

CWM backups to sdcard/clockworkmod/backup

In that location it creates a folder using the time-stamp as the name. IF you're using CWM 6, then there is a folder named 'blobs' as well as 'backup'. These blobs are also part of the backup. CWM 5 doesn't use a 'blobs' folder. For obvious reasons you can rename the folder, changing it to something more humanly recognisable than a time-stamp. Just don't use spaces in that name!

Despite not having a blobs folder (and I don't), the backup is still complete / recovery will recover everything if I need it? (It being an image backup.)

I did not come across CWM6, yet, would you perchance to have a link?

You can copy the backups to a PC via the media interface or mounting the USB-storage. For more information do a web-search.

As I said, mounting usb storage got me access to copy to the local PC. By 'media interface' do you mean kies? Otherwise, as I noted, I did not see the files when connected non-usb storage. (Could you by chance point me to an explanation of in what way / why the two access mechanisms are different?)

As for the super-user thing: You can download it from androidsu/superuser. Get the one for ARM devices, version 3.2-RC3.

It is a zip file that you can just install through CWM. This should be enough to root your device if you're on ICS. Might work on GB as well, I don't know. For future reference, in general all smartphones run on ARM architecture, regardless of WHO made the chip. Just as both Intel and AMD use the x86 architecture, even though they are competitors.

(Still stock R GB, not ICS. Waiting patiently, though - enough other things in this ecosystem to acclimatize myself to!)

REALLY GOOD TO KNOW about Arm == Amd64. Thank you!

Turns out I didn't need to do the .zip, the play.google version is sufficient. (Should auto-catch updates, too, etc.,)

It ABSOLUTELY DOES, thank you so very much!

Nice to get some confirmation that I've been keeping straight at least some of what I've been reading!

bs27975

Sep 27, 2012
K-W, ON, Canada
SGH-I927R (Roger's.) here.

Thanks to this thread I was able to find odin (PC side) and install cwm. And run a backup.
I am trying to be able to take advantage of root while doing the least amount / stay as stock as possible (less done, less to eff up as I traverse this learning curve). e.g. Titanium backup, busybox (surely I can create links so apps that insist on files being in certain places can be repointed to dropbox deposits!), and whatever else seems useful. [Read - why the h isn't it here in the first place, but never mind that.]​

Am I understanding correctly here/above / proceeding in an appropriate fashion?

Would anyone have a link to the necessary su package for the Glide / Tegra2?

Thanks (VERY MUCH!) in advance.

OK, files are at http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18805532&postcount=1

Referenced (found via) http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28520461&postcount=1, which also contains instructions as to what to do with things.

I didn't use the script to install superuser.apk, preferring, instead, to sideload it. Or even load it via play.google so you pick up any updates over time without having to go through this nonsense again. In fact, I had already done so.

[Note to earlier contributors, rather than being snarky, including the term 'sideload' would have saved a lot of grief - both to the thread, and to the person that was asking. There is no way the new user could ever guess the term 'sideload', out of the given instruction to load an app outside of play.google. Had it been mentioned that such non-play app installation is called 'sideloading', the question poser probably would have been able to figure out the rest themselves. Just sayin'.]

*Note to selves: Remember to put the usb in debug mode! Settings/Apps/Dev

The REALLY nice thing about this is the very tight focus and targeting. Which means if its wrong, it's also very tight to undo.

*Note 2: Rather than manually rebooting, 'adb reboot recovery' is sort of sweet. Or would have been had it worked. It took the pda down, but didn't do the 'reboot' part. :(
- when I tried 'reboot recovery' later (from the shell) it worked fine. Go figure.

Finally ... UNBELIEVABLE ... all this reading about this complex environment (days and going blind even), to come across adb to run a shell and just get on with one's day per Linux usual. Read-only normally, and a root shell when run at recovery prompt. <sigh>

:eek:

Thank you all for being here. Better all this reading and learning, that not having it at all!

-----

The runme script ended up failing and I manually ran the commands within adb shell. /system/xbin did not exist on my glide. Hmmm.

D'OH!

*Note (to self) 3: Upon first 'adb shell' when recovery booted, remember to 'mount -a'!

Cheers, all.

-----

Summary:
- threads listed have instructions and files necessary.
- installing Superuser and Busybox from play.google = K.I.S.S.
- 'adb shell' does that, into your pda.
- when done with the pda sitting at recovery, you get a root shell.
- follow the script, copy su in, and it's all done - you have root.

Said more concisely: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20056271&postcount=121

Evil Alex

Mar 11, 2012
Just one correction:

ARM is NOT AMD64. AMD64 is also a PC architecture, often denoted by x64.

ARM is almost the only smartphone/tablet architecture in use. It's named after the company that created it, which goes by the same name. This company designs new chips and then licenses others to build and use these chips. You'll find ARM's processors in ALL Android devices, ALL iPhones, and close to ALL tablets.

The big differences between PC architectures and ARM architecture is that PC is far more aimed at general purpose computational power. ARM focuses on SPECIFIC purpose computing. The upside being that ARM chips are optimised towards their expected/intended use, and are therefore very energy effecient. The downside is that it lacks many more advanced instruction-sets which make it less preferable for all-purpose computing.

However, the line is getting blurry. Both types started on opposite sides of the spectrum, and are drawing ever closer as the line between PC use and mobile use is also becoming blurry. PC focused mainly on computing power, and is now also focused on energy-savings. Mobile is the reverse, it focused on energy-savings, and is now also focused on computing power.

Just had to add this bit, you don't want to get your low-level architectures wrong! ;)

Reactions: bs27975

elban

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 10, 2009
Venice
www.opbyte.it
it's worth noting that ARM is RISC and x86 is CISC. Most modern processor designs are RISC, or even more "reduced",as is VLIW like intel itanium.
X86 is a very old instruction set, i would say obsolete, but still fast because it features decades of optimizations and the best factories by intel. ARM can potentially overtake x86 in every respect but... still intel has the best factories :)
Now, back to the topic...

bs27975

Sep 27, 2012
K-W, ON, Canada
Just one correction:

ARM is NOT AMD64. AMD64 is also a PC architecture, often denoted by x64.

Um, yas, sorry I was too brief: In Linux, AMD64 is a moniker for both AMD 64-bit processors AND Intel 64-bit processors. In Windows the equivalent is x64, for both. So, per your note, Tegra2 or not, it's all ARM.

Good note of yours, though. Thanks (it never occurred to me that any reader could confuse AMD64 and ARM, but ...)

:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have ported CWMR to the I927(r) device.

Here are the instructions, prepared for me by CarpeNoctem who was instrumental in the testing of this port. Thanks to him for providing me with all the files. This is a RECOVERY that does not rely on it being in a kernel, so you can use this with any kernel you like.
    ---
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

1. Launch odin (v1.82 tested)
    2. Boot your phone in "Download mode"
    3. Select PDA in odin and choose the file "CWMR_recovery.tar.md5"
    4. ONLY "auto reboot" must be check !!

---

This is considered an ALPHA build as it has only been tested on a few handsets so far. Flashing this means that you acknowledge this fact. Please help test it by using it and reporting any problems that you might have.

The file for ODIN is here: CWMR_recovery.tar.md5 OUTDATED

The source code (device tree) is on my github: android_device_samsung_SGHI927R

Feel free to modify this all you like, enjoy.

Credits:
    koush for clockworkmod recovery.
    carpenoctem/gabby131 for testing this out.

-----

UPDATE:

I have migrated this device to the 5.0.2.7 source tree for clockwork.

v2: CWMR5x_i927_recovery.tar.md5
    UPDATE:

I have migrated this device to the 5.0.2.7 source tree for clockwork.

v2: CWMR5x_i927_recovery.tar.md5

This is considered an alpha release, please test this on the new codebase and report any problems (if any).
    do we gonna see a new update for the CWMR?
    or at least getting out form the alpha stage?
    AFAIK the alpha version is stable and working great for users here, so maybe we can graduate it to RC or even final version?

utkanos i hope you are still with us and will continue work on the glide, especially now that we have ICS coming to us in the near future and probably need a new CWMR.

I think enough users have tested it so at this point if everything is working well then the current version will be stable going forward. I will update cwmr along with the mainline cwmr when updates come out for it for you guys.
    Hi guys,

How can I gain root with this cwm without flashing a cooked room.?

Is it possible?

I'm with captivate from att. Is this safe to flash? Or this cwmr is just for rogers?
    Sorry for the question, I'm just trying to avoid another bricked experience.. last one took me more than a week to fix.

Thks,

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda premium

you can try Flashing cwm then download this zip, put it to SDcard then flash via CWM. I have not tried this step before so you're on your own here.

Alternatively, flash ardatdat's Kernel. It will give you root without flashing a ROM. Again, I have not tested, but others confirmed that this worked for them.

If you don't want OC you can Odin flash uknatos' kernel.