Anyone bricked from iMilka's AOSP/CM9?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
Entropy recently stated that using any leaked build was dangerous.

I have used every single version of AOSP and CM9 from the beginning to current, jumping between and back and forth from GB many times with no issues.

I have also never SEEN a report of anyone bricking (when properly) flashing around with these roms.

Just curious if a case actually exists.

remixtech

Mar 15, 2009
Lille
www.mevaere.fr

I have used every single version of AOSP and CM9 from the beginning to current, jumping between and back and forth from GB many times with no issues.

I have also never SEEN a report of anyone bricking (when properly) flashing around with these roms.

No but there is a risk. And the question is : "Do you want to take this risk while CM9 is announce next week with a safe kernel".

I was using Imilka Cm9, and yesterday i flashed back to GB. Maybe you could wait one week and avoid flashing a hazardous repack !

martcerv

Sep 21, 2010
I had no issues with Imikas cm9 roms, I used all 3 of them and have since flashed to a stock gingerbread as the video playback in all the ICS roms is not good enough yet compared to GB roms.

I have tried all the ICS leaks and gone back to GB with no issues, just waiting for a proper stable release of ICS with good video playback performance as I get in GB then I will stick with the Ice Cream :D

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
No but there is a risk. And the question is : "Do you want to take this risk while CM9 is announce next week with a safe kernel".

I was using Imilka Cm9, and yesterday i flashed back to GB. Maybe you could wait one week and avoid flashing a hazardous repack !

I wasn't stating that there isn't a risk, or that anyone should chance it. Just simply that I have not heard of a single case of anyone having a problem with iMilka's releases (killing the board). Therefore my none developer point of view is that the risk must be VERY small IF said risk does truly exist with all Kernel Leak builds.

It SEEMS to me that the problem does not lie with the kernel build but the way it is scripted and executed. Hence why no one has ever had the problem with AOSP/CM9, but the problem came up with Angelom's kernel and the last Stunner build. The problems were also immediate in both cases, again where no one has ever had this problem caused by AOSP/CM9. So YES, I am sure AOSP/CM9 could have caused the problem if iMilka made whatever mistake was made by Stunner/Angelom, but I would say to me it is quite obvious he did not, and that the problem IS a mistake in the way the kernel is handled. Speculation and opinion only of course.

I have been running them since the beginning, so I am not saying I personally would have chanced it this close to offical ICS / Official CM9, but i've been running his releases for quite some time.

Last edited:

chasmodo

Dec 28, 2011
Novi Sad

Flashed all imilka Roms from day one, and never had as much as a hiccup on any one of them.

not-i

Feb 19, 2012
Sunshine Coast, Australia
No issues here either with Midnote or TeamMid ROMS (also tried a couple of Alba versions and Stunner).

I have flashed many times and with LP5 kernel through CWMR or Mobile Odin including full wipes.

I have made nandroid backups but haven't tried to restore any, perhaps this has saved me?

Last edited:

dimcus

Jul 12, 2010
St.Petersburg
Tried CWM restore twice on ICS (missed reports that it is not recommended). Both times ended with corrupted system partition. But both times fixed this problem by flashing stock ROM with desktop Odin. Had no problems after.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Reactions: jscurtu

hav0c

Dec 14, 2005
Amsterdam
Tried CWM restore twice on ICS (missed reports that it is not recommended). Both times ended with corrupted system partition. But both times fixed this problem by flashing stock ROM with desktop Odin. Had no problems after.

Exactly the same here. Unable to format /system partition after restoring.

Odin managed to fix it tho.

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
The question is if anyone tried to restore a cwm backup ? The most of the bricks were caused by doing that task..

I have multiple times. CWM Backup restore works sometimes for me ICS to ICS, and fine GB to GB. ICS to GB or GB to ICS causes issues but I can easily fix them with a flash/odin/etc and still have complete access to download mode / CWM. ICS to ICS I have run in to problems such as funky root or partition issues, once again still easily fixable and still have plenty of access to the phone/flash abilities, By no means even close to a brick.

That said at this point in the game I wouldn't even consider doing a CWM restore, why even chance it! :)

Last edited:

empat

Jan 18, 2010
São Paulo

Just to report, I experienced exactly the same.

Regards!

G

GuestK00407

Which kernel were you on?

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Bricks were caused by anything that tried to wipe a partition - and restoring a nandroid will first wipe a partition.

What kernel is imilka's a repack of? Maybe it's an unaffected one. I recall seeing stuff in imilka's thread saying not to use its CWM.

Without source for the leak kernels it's impossible to tell what's changed and declare one kernel "safe" and another "dangerous" - as long as some are proven dangerous they should all be considered dangerous.

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
What kernel is imilka's a repack of? Maybe it's an unaffected one. I recall seeing stuff in imilka's thread saying not to use its CWM.

Without source for the leak kernels it's impossible to tell what's changed and declare one kernel "safe" and another "dangerous" - as long as some are proven dangerous they should all be considered dangerous.

It was multiple different kernels, up to LP5 and LP6 even.

I understand the logic and respect your words of caution with what is most certainly from someone who has a much better understanding than I, I just feel it is the way the kernel was used/modified/implemented that caused the potential problems (by the devs), not the kernel itself. Based on the logic I provided earlier in the thread. I am not saying the problem still does not exist in the kernel, I have no idea, but it is obviously something that did not come out in many rom implementations, just those 2.

anonymous572

Jun 15, 2011
Mstislavl
Flashed all roms from maxicet and some repack stock ICS roms. Never got any problems. Tested over 10 ICS roms... And now using maxicet's ROM as daily.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
It was multiple different kernels, up to LP5 and LP6 even.

I understand the logic and respect your words of caution with what is most certainly from someone who has a much better understanding than I, I just feel it is the way the kernel was used/modified/implemented that caused the potential problems (by the devs), not the kernel itself. Based on the logic I provided earlier in the thread. I am not saying the problem still does not exist in the kernel, I have no idea, but it is obviously something that did not come out in many rom implementations, just those 2.

The thing is, this has happened over multiple devices, with multiple recovery implementations, including recovery implementations that work fine with other kernel bases. The end result is the same - fried eMMC that can't even be recovered with JTAG.

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
The thing is, this has happened over multiple devices, with multiple recovery implementations, including recovery implementations that work fine with other kernel bases. The end result is the same - fried eMMC that can't even be recovered with JTAG.

Agreed, very bad.

All I am saying is that it ONLY happened on those 2 botched kernel implementations. It is obviously SOMETHING the Dev's did with the kernel that caused this, seeing how ALL the other roms/versions clearly have not caused this. Since the result was immediate with both of those and many of us have jumped/cwm'ed/etc from MANY different Leaked kernel builds and NOT had that problem.

I am not trying to put them at blame, running any rom/dev is strictly at your own responsibility and risk, just stating that I don't think it is fair to place every leaked rom build in the same category of danger. Is there a risk, certainly, as the dev's could accidentally make said same mistake (I am not even clear if "we" know what causes it?) in a future version. That said I feel pretty confident that if the "final" versions of iMilka's roms were going to cause that issue, it would've happened by now. That is why I wanted to see if anyone had ever been bricked (fried eMMC) from them, and it seems, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bricks were caused by anything that tried to wipe a partition - and restoring a nandroid will first wipe a partition.

I think you are wrong.Bricks caused when trying to format /system

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

When restoring a backup , you usually format /system ; )...so basically yes that is correct, I only mentioned that it mostly happened while doing that task..

Thread Closed

As the ROM has been discontinued, there is no need for this thread.​