[Tutorial] [UNLOCK/ROOT] EVO 3D GSM Hboot 1.49.0011> + S-On [HTC Unlock method]

Search This thread
Hello, I got GSM evo 3d with hboot 1.49.0018. I already unclocked bootloader via htcdev.com. Now I want install super user using "su-3.0-efgh-signed". I put my Evo 3D in fastboot mode, install ClockworkMod Recovery, but when I choose recovery, my phone just restart. Please help me

Try flashing this recovery image. Mine didn't have recovery, I flashed a recovery image using fastboot:

fastboot flash recovery <path_to_recovery.img>

I recommend THIS recovery image. Just put the img file next to fastboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: mantasio

bimboy56

Jan 16, 2012
NCR,Pasig
Thanks for this tutorial: smooth sailing with HBOOT 1.49.0009 and Revolutionary CWM.
is there a big difference between the official and Revs CWM?

codswallop

Feb 1, 2012
error on htc

Is anyone else getting this error when submitting the identifier token:

Error Code: 173.
Error Reason: Check Rule Fail with exception.

I've tried a few times - with same error each time. My H-Boot version is 1.49.0018

Having searched it seems a few people on other HTC phones/forums are getting same message this evening, so I wonder if its an issue on the HTC developer site ?

sk337sk337

May 21, 2009
Tennessee
Is anyone else getting this error when submitting the identifier token:

Error Code: 173.
Error Reason: Check Rule Fail with exception.

I've tried a few times - with same error each time. My H-Boot version is 1.49.0018

Having searched it seems a few people on other HTC phones/forums are getting same message this evening, so I wonder if its an issue on the HTC developer site ?

I'm having the same issue. Just got my evo 3d today.

Nurra

Apr 21, 2008
Looks really hard. Is there cf-root like the gsII?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

bimboy56

Jan 16, 2012
NCR,Pasig
By the way, with this method what do we missed from not being S-OFF though rooted?

---------- Post added at 06:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

By the way, with this method what do we missed from not being S-OFF though rooted?
========
Another Thing, I managed to do a workaround with the Evo 3D Bug regarding CWM 5.0.2.0, seeing as its not in here, I might as well share it.

[1] When phone is turned off and you tried to Charge(LED Light turns on for a Moment and Dies) -> Can't Turn On
- what I observed is that if you connect the USB Cable and wait for a few seconds, MTP USB Driver will try installing itself(which at most times failed for me, using Win7 Ultimate). wait for it finish and just remove the Cable from Phone (You will hear the USB Eject Sound). Turn On the Phone normally.

NOTE: I read somewhere(sorry i forgot where) that in this state wherein MTP USB Drivers are installed successfully, you can do "adb reboot bootloader". I can't confirm this because mine always failed at installing the drivers, the above work for me.

[2]100% Working method(atleast for Me).
- BE AWARE if fastboot is turned on or off at all times, this is where the core of the problem is. I observed that when fastboot is enabled and you tried charging, you will get the bug(Battery Pull or do #1).

If this info was posted somewhere else(I tried searching but didn't find anything :S), let me know, I won't take credit, but I really hope this helps, hopefully the next CWM for Evo3D will be fixed :)

akac89

Dec 10, 2010
ok guys i think i will need some more help with this unlocking bootloaders and root for htc, and i am sorry for bothering you. i just went from sgs1 to evo 3d in europe and my model is gsm one. i am on android over 2 years and with samsung rooting instaling romes and kernels is realy simple, btw as i see (for me) this htc way is hell. if anyone have a little time i will answer some questions.

1. i got gsm model evo 3d in europe and when i go for unlock bootloaders (htc-dev site) i find 3 versions of evos 3d there (emea, rogers, sprint). whitch one i chose there coz my operator is telenor europe (i used their gsm card, but phone as phone is simfree) , and is there any difference? (sry for my horrible english)

2. what is button combination for recovery? on other android devices i used is vol up + home button + power but here phone just turn on (and this one do it rely fast).

3. how do i enter in bootloader mode?

this 3 answers i rely need to do anything here. i am sory for this bothering you but anyway i am not new in android, just new in htc. hope i will find some help here :)

thx from new htc user. (and sry for this funny english :p)

bimboy56

Jan 16, 2012
NCR,Pasig
@akac
1. Choose EMEA
2 & 3. Vol down and power, you can get to bootloader and recovery from there. Be sure to turn off fastboot from power.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using XDA App

Reactions: thuanngotau

stylohaku

Jan 19, 2012
KL
ok guys i think i will need some more help with this unlocking bootloaders and root for htc, and i am sorry for bothering you. i just went from sgs1 to evo 3d in europe and my model is gsm one. i am on android over 2 years and with samsung rooting instaling romes and kernels is realy simple, btw as i see (for me) this htc way is hell. if anyone have a little time i will answer some questions.

1. i got gsm model evo 3d in europe and when i go for unlock bootloaders (htc-dev site) i find 3 versions of evos 3d there (emea, rogers, sprint). whitch one i chose there coz my operator is telenor europe (i used their gsm card, but phone as phone is simfree) , and is there any difference? (sry for my horrible english)

2. what is button combination for recovery? on other android devices i used is vol up + home button + power but here phone just turn on (and this one do it rely fast).

3. how do i enter in bootloader mode?

this 3 answers i rely need to do anything here. i am sory for this bothering you but anyway i am not new in android, just new in htc. hope i will find some help here :)

thx from new htc user. (and sry for this funny english :p)

Hi akac89, welcome to Evo 3D.

Hope this help

1. Choose EMEA, if not working then you can choose "Other Devices" as well.
2. To enter recovery mode, you need to turn off, make sure your USB cable is not connected (because it will reboot when you press vol - & power button), press vol - first (don't let go), and then press power button until the bootloader screen turn on. To access recovery, select "recovery" in the bootloader mode (not fastboot mode) and you should be able to access recovery.
3. Answer in no.2 above, press vol- button and then power button.

akac89

Dec 10, 2010
thank you guys, this was very helpful. i done unlocking bootloaders and i think i kinda understand how htc work :). no odin here ;) i think i know how to instal cwm and root phone from explanation on 1 post so i very thankful for this.

have a nice day guys and tx

BRK666

Jan 28, 2012
hello guys, i'm new to android an i have same questions. Before i unlock/root i want to backup my data and i i'm wodering if i can use Titanium Backup (or any other app). In this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1218193 (tutorial from The Droid Demos) it is posible to do a temp unlock/root to backup data, but it's not for HTC EVO 3D GSM.
thx guys

Amphel

Feb 9, 2012
Sorry about the negativity, probarbly my own fault - this works only for phones with 1.49.0011 or below right? this method made my evo 3d (1.49.0018) caught up in a endless boot loop (I can see the HTC logo for 15-20 seconds, then it restarts over and over)

I used CWM v4.0.1.4 to install custom ROM after the htcdev method, and installing "su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed" ... I feel I've tried evrything and can't get mye phone back on. Sooooo mutch pain for misunderstanding the > symbol :(

I can get to hboot/fastboot (USB) and into the revolutionary cwmtool

anyone think they can lead me on to something good here? :confused:

Now I'm stuck with an old SE- W880i PLEASE HELP ME!

Last edited:

bimboy56

Jan 16, 2012
NCR,Pasig
hello guys, i'm new to android an i have same questions. Before i unlock/root i want to backup my data and i i'm wodering if i can use Titanium Backup (or any other app). In this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1218193 (tutorial from The Droid Demos) it is posible to do a temp unlock/root to backup data, but it's not for HTC EVO 3D GSM.
thx guys

Hi,

Try My Backup Pro or Astro File Manager.

Amphel

Feb 9, 2012
[/COLOR]
before you flash the rom:
open the zip file you download and copy boot.img file to your sdk tool and flash it using adb/cmd
after that you can normally flash the rom using CWM recovery..hope this can help you without stuck at htc logo.

I LOVE YOU MAN! after reading for 4 days straight and at the edge of giving up, YOU solved my problem! If I knew you I would hug you and give you a big kiss on the cheek! :D :D :D

Last edited:

sbmnet

Feb 12, 2012
tirur
all done unlocked recovery done but in my fone fastboot-bootoader- recovry - can't get recovery device going to startup.....
plssssss any one to help me...
thanks...

duytrum444

Jan 11, 2010
ho chi minh city
help me...
my Hboot is 1.49.0012
i unlocked and relock because i want go to stock..but now, i want use cook rom, so i unlock again, and my phone say yes/no to unlock.. i select yes and my phone dont reboot, i wait 30 min but my phone dont active, i removed battery and reboot. it's stuck on HTC logo...help me...
up ruu it say error. up by sdcard it stuck here..
c03805ce587ae3cb7ae75b0.jpg

help me...
now i just can boot to bootloader..:(:(:(:(:(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is simply straight forward. I have to create new thread bcoz i can see many frens asking about this in various thread.

Unlock (HTC Method may void warranty, i dont care :p) + CWM = Can flash any custom rom :)

[1] register @ htcdev [dot] com
    [2] just follow on-screen instruction until successfully boot with unlocked bootloader

now the important part : (u can use4EXT Recovery Touch (the best. recommended) or Revolutionary custom CWM recovery image)

[3a] 4EXT Recovery Touch (THE BEST) See HERE for more info.

[3b] Revolutionary CWM
    (i) download Revolutionary shutteru CWM recovery from here
    (ii) reboot device in bootloader mode > fastboot > plug in usb cable until u see FASTBOOT USB on device screen
    (iii) now in adb type : fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooteru.img
    (iv) Done.

[4] To root stock rom,
    (i) download Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip and copy to sdcard
    (ii) reboot to recovery mode
    (iii) select install zip frm sdcard > choose zip frm sdcard > select zip file as in (i) step above > proceed to flash.

Now device is Bootloader Unlocked + CWM recovery + S-ON & ready to flash custom rom.
    Could you please clarify for a dummy like me?

As per explanation I understand:

1. Even when S-ON I can install ROMs with custom kernels.

2. To do it I must use "fastboot" from PC and not the CWM or other smart recovery directly.

What actually happen if I try to install OC kernel with CWM and what happen if using "fastboot"? Why the 1st process fails and the 2nd works?

Thanks.

Per JoeyKrim (my summary),
    HTC Unlocked with S-On. The /boot partition is only accessible with "write" access from the android os or from the fastboot mode. This prevents ANY recovery from having write access to the /boot partition.

By entering your recovery (CWM or TWRP) VIA fastboot boot command prompt, you allow the recovery to have full access to the /boot partition where you can flash full roms with kernels, flash just kernels, restore & make backups, etc, just as you would normally from recovery.

The 2 things you can't do with HTC Unlocked/S-On is to manually flash radios and boot logos (splash screen). You have to relock and flash the full stock RUU to update those, then unlock and reroot.

There are workarounds to using fastboot command prompt such as FlashImageGUI, TWRP Recovery w/HTC DumLock, & more recently 4ext Recovery w/smartflash (which run from android os), but you should be comfortable with fastboot first and if you screw something up with these workarounds, you'll have to use fastboot to fix it anyway.
    excellent!!! i did it this morning and about to write the tutorial. good you come up with this 1st. thanks for that.

i can confirm that this is working

cheers.
    I also have a question, what's the difference between S-OFF and S-ON? I unlocked my phone the revolutionary way so I guess I'm S-OFF but I don't get what's the difference, in both case you can flash anything you want?

How Do I Know If My Device Is S-ON Or S-OFF?

That is easy to verify. Simply boot into HBOOT on your device (Volume + Dwn) with fastboot off, and the text on top will show the flag status as either S-OFF or S-ON. A full root generally means S-OFF.

S-OFF – What And Why?

In their devices, HTC have installed a sort of security check whose level is determined by S-OFF/S-ON. Essentially, this security level is a flag stored on the device’s radio that checks signature images for any firmware before it is allowed to be written to system memory. This hinders using any custom ROMs, splash images, recovery etc., and also restricts access to the NAND flash memory. However, when security level is set to S-OFF, the signature check is bypassed, allowing a user to upload custom firmware images, unsigned boot, recovery, splash and HBOOT images, as well as official firmware that has been modified, this enabling maximum customization of your HTC Android device.

Furthermore, S-OFF also reduces restrictions on accessing the NAND flash memory on the device, allowing all partitions (including /system) to be mounted in write mode while the operating system is booted.
    hi. i unlocked my phone with htc unlocked method.i flashed recover.img
    now bootloader unlocked and i can go to recovery mode. but s- on yet.
    i download this custom rom and flash from recovery.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1307599

when rom installed and i reboot phone. in htc logo phone automatic rebbot and reboot.
    please help me?
    what i can do??
    my HBoot is 1.49.0018

before you flash the rom:
    open the zip file you download and copy boot.img file to your sdk tool and flash it using adb/cmd
    after that you can normally flash the rom using CWM recovery..hope this can help you without stuck at htc logo.