[APP] Auto Data Version 2.5 [09/27/12] Free & Donate Version

Search This thread

Glen L

Sep 20, 2007
Okay created a simple app for my own use that i'm not yet sure if it will extend battery life since I just finished it today and will do the testing tomorrow!

Concept on What It Does?
- If your display screen is off, it toggles the mobile data to turn on/off every few minutes.
- If the display is on, then it wont turn the data on/off
- It detects if 2g/3g/4g is on as well

What's the difference between this and tons of applications out there that turns off the automatically turns off the data when the screen is off?
- I have unlimited internet bandwidth on my phone but limited battery life. I rely on the internet for my instant messaging and work emails. If I use one of those applications that turns off the data when the screen is off, then technically I wont be able to receive those emails until I turn on the screen. That's how the idea of creating Auto Data came from. Basically I want to be able to receive messages while the screen is off without heavy battery usage.

- As I have yet to do actual field testing I'm not sure if it will extend or drain the battery! - Well at least that was my idea

Why Create This App?
- I'm looking for a way to extend battery life of my phone (HTC ONE X) without me having to turn on and off the mobile data manually since I have unlimited mobile data but limited battery life
- I want to learn how to program even the simplest things on Android for my own use

Bugs?
- You tell me :)

How Can You Help?
- I need testers to test the app. I have a little programming background knowledge but I know logic, so don't expect too much if you have suggestions / comments or if you find bugs.
- I need good icons that I can use for the app (any graphic artists out there?)

Not working?
This application requires that Mobile Data is initially turned "on" in Android System Settings to make it work.

Battery Still Draining Fast?
If you flashed a new ROM, you have to give it a few charge cycles in order for the battery to normalized and be calibrated. Usually, 3 - 4 full charge cycles before you'd notice the difference.

Donate Version
If you like Auto Data and would like to help out, you can consider donating. By donating you get the full features of Auto Data unlocked.
Donation can only be done through PayPal at the moment, as Google Checkout doesn't support the country where Im at so until Google Checkout supports comes, no choice but to use PayPal (Sorry about that).

There are 3 ways to donate, 1 is from the app itself, you can click "Donate" button. 2 is from XDA you can click "Donate to Me" button under my username, 3 you can manually enter my PayPal email which is "glen.c.lee@gmail.com"

Once you have donated, kindly send me an Email with your PayPal confirmation code and I will send you a APK that will unlock Auto Data.
Kindly allow me up to 48 hours to send you the APK file that unlocks AutoData, I have to send you the APK manually and due to time zone differences I cannot promise that I can send it immediately, but I will ASAP!

Donation Amount?
Any amount is appreciated. I do not put a minimum limit to donation. It's a donation so what ever you feel like then its fine!
Thanks for considering donating!

Disclaimer
- By installing and trying this application, I take no responsibility on what it does to your phone. Please use this at your own risk! If you do not accept this then please don't try this application.

- As this application has been developed for my own use since I have unlimited mobile data, if you do not have unlimited mobile data then I suggest you do not use this application since it automatically turns on and turns off your mobile data.
PS: Again, I have to do actual testing to determine if it does improve battery life. Would help if others can do testing as well.

New Look & New Log Screen
20120819232258.jpg
20120819232245.jpg
20120819232304.jpg

Actual Test Run Result
20120821003100.jpg

I'm running ViperX ROM on my HTC ONE X with stock Kernel. 14hours at 50% :)
Plus I did some calls, sent a few sms and browsed facebook as well

Download:
Its now available at the Play Store :)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=auto.data&feature=more_from_developer&hl=en

Last edited:

Glen L

Sep 20, 2007
Change Log:
v2.0 - 08/11/12
- new icon thanks to tantin75 :)
- new log screen, press the description area once to launch the log screen
- default timer is set to 5mins on 5mins off
- advanced options menu (options still being tested and will be available in the future)
- no longer requires deep sleep
- a lot of bug fixes and optimization of the program

v1.5 - 07/25/12
- minor bug fixes
- Now launches the application when you tap on the notification icon

v1.4 - 07/24/12
- fixed notification icon bug
- added to start on boot

v1.3 - 07/24/12
- removed a line of code that might have caused the f/c on some devices

v1.2 - 07/23/12
- fixed the screen turn on bug which causes some devices to force close
- added 2 time modes, 5 minutes and 10 minutes timeouts

Last edited:

ekowanz

May 5, 2009
I'd love to try it.. Im on cdma though. PM u my email

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Glen L

Sep 20, 2007
guys bug found...
The application turns off while the screen is off. I will fix it and will send out a new update ASAP (Sorry)

hutzdani

May 9, 2010
London
Great idea man, like your thinking.

Few ideas for your app.

- Adding data on interval settings 5mins / 10mins / 20mins / 30mins

- Option to remove Status bar icons, too many apps have these and they clutter up the notification tray and some are ugly and ruin peoples UI's that they have spent time building. ( I my self run Slimmed down ICS, no System tray App notifications but core systems ones and i avoid coloured icons at all costs )
I see your a clean theme man your self :-D

- Profile so that during set hours it switches on WIFI, so people who work 9till5 can save data during work hours but not have to worry when home because they can connect to their home wifi using a set time. So data saving mode is enabled from 8am till 6:30pm outside these hours its switched off and wifi is enabled ?

Last edited:

Glen L

Sep 20, 2007
Great idea man, like your thinking.

Few ideas for your app.

- Adding data on interval settings 5mins / 10mins / 20mins / 30mins

- Option to remove Status bar icons, too many apps have these and they clutter up the notification tray and some are ugly and ruin peoples UI's that they have spent time building. ( I my self run Slimmed down ICS, no System tray App notifications but core systems ones and i avoid coloured icons at all costs )
I see your a clean theme man your self :-D

- Profile so that during set hours it switches on WIFI, so people who work 9till5 can save data during work hours but not have to worry when home because they can connect to their home wifi using a set time. So data saving mode is enabled from 8am till 6:30pm outside these hours its switched off and wifi is enabled ?

Thanks for your suggestions.
I'm rewriting the whole program again since it got too complicated which caused the program not to work.
I already have a very early stage working. Doing the test now.
Adding interval settings is a good idea, I just hope it works since Android has deep sleep.
Option to remove the status bar icons = Okay I will include this :)

Profiles to set hours to switch over WIFI = okay I will see what I can do

Reactions: Marino Pacheco

hutzdani

May 9, 2010
London
Thanks for your suggestions.
I'm rewriting the whole program again since it got too complicated which caused the program not to work.
I already have a very early stage working. Doing the test now.
Adding interval settings is a good idea, I just hope it works since Android has deep sleep.
Option to remove the status bar icons = Okay I will include this :)

Profiles to set hours to switch over WIFI = okay I will see what I can do

Sounds good, let me know if you'd like me to do some testing.

Im always away with my phone so I can do extensive testing while at work.

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
nice idea, but what i would like to see is something like Auto3G for iOS;

http://modmyi.com/cydia/package.php?id=28562

basically, it switches to 2G when the screen is off, and back on when the screen is on; or you can set if the phone is connected to charger, say on 3G at all times..really useful!

Reactions: babaq

Glen L

Sep 20, 2007
nice idea, but what i would like to see is something like Auto3G for iOS;

http://modmyi.com/cydia/package.php?id=28562

basically, it switches to 2G when the screen is off, and back on when the screen is on; or you can set if the phone is connected to charger, say on 3G at all times..really useful!

if you turn off 3G when the screen is off then you wont be able to receive push emails / gtalk messages right?

ekowanz

May 5, 2009
On my fascinate with aokp m6, even when the screen is on, it turns the data off. It not always happen, but its randoms. After that i should manually turn on the data.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Glen L

Sep 20, 2007
sure just send me your email address.
I want to be able to control the testing

I just finished a new version
Will update the changelog at the second post

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay created a simple app for my own use that i'm not yet sure if it will extend battery life since I just finished it today and will do the testing tomorrow!

Concept on What It Does?
    - If your display screen is off, it toggles the mobile data to turn on/off every few minutes.
    - If the display is on, then it wont turn the data on/off
    - It detects if 2g/3g/4g is on as well

What's the difference between this and tons of applications out there that turns off the automatically turns off the data when the screen is off?
    - I have unlimited internet bandwidth on my phone but limited battery life. I rely on the internet for my instant messaging and work emails. If I use one of those applications that turns off the data when the screen is off, then technically I wont be able to receive those emails until I turn on the screen. That's how the idea of creating Auto Data came from. Basically I want to be able to receive messages while the screen is off without heavy battery usage.

- As I have yet to do actual field testing I'm not sure if it will extend or drain the battery! - Well at least that was my idea

Why Create This App?
    - I'm looking for a way to extend battery life of my phone (HTC ONE X) without me having to turn on and off the mobile data manually since I have unlimited mobile data but limited battery life
    - I want to learn how to program even the simplest things on Android for my own use

Bugs?
    - You tell me :)

How Can You Help?
    - I need testers to test the app. I have a little programming background knowledge but I know logic, so don't expect too much if you have suggestions / comments or if you find bugs.
    - I need good icons that I can use for the app (any graphic artists out there?)

Not working?
    This application requires that Mobile Data is initially turned "on" in Android System Settings to make it work.

Battery Still Draining Fast?
    If you flashed a new ROM, you have to give it a few charge cycles in order for the battery to normalized and be calibrated. Usually, 3 - 4 full charge cycles before you'd notice the difference.

Donate Version
    If you like Auto Data and would like to help out, you can consider donating. By donating you get the full features of Auto Data unlocked.
    Donation can only be done through PayPal at the moment, as Google Checkout doesn't support the country where Im at so until Google Checkout supports comes, no choice but to use PayPal (Sorry about that).

There are 3 ways to donate, 1 is from the app itself, you can click "Donate" button. 2 is from XDA you can click "Donate to Me" button under my username, 3 you can manually enter my PayPal email which is "glen.c.lee@gmail.com"

Once you have donated, kindly send me an Email with your PayPal confirmation code and I will send you a APK that will unlock Auto Data.
    Kindly allow me up to 48 hours to send you the APK file that unlocks AutoData, I have to send you the APK manually and due to time zone differences I cannot promise that I can send it immediately, but I will ASAP!

Donation Amount?
    Any amount is appreciated. I do not put a minimum limit to donation. It's a donation so what ever you feel like then its fine!
    Thanks for considering donating!

Disclaimer
    - By installing and trying this application, I take no responsibility on what it does to your phone. Please use this at your own risk! If you do not accept this then please don't try this application.

- As this application has been developed for my own use since I have unlimited mobile data, if you do not have unlimited mobile data then I suggest you do not use this application since it automatically turns on and turns off your mobile data.
    PS: Again, I have to do actual testing to determine if it does improve battery life. Would help if others can do testing as well.

New Look & New Log Screen
    20120819232258.jpg
    20120819232245.jpg
    20120819232304.jpg

Actual Test Run Result
    20120821003100.jpg

I'm running ViperX ROM on my HTC ONE X with stock Kernel. 14hours at 50% :)
    Plus I did some calls, sent a few sms and browsed facebook as well

Download:
    Its now available at the Play Store :)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=auto.data&feature=more_from_developer&hl=en
    Free similar product. Don't lost your time.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fanfa.periodic

Wysłane z mojego LG-P970

No need to be rude. You dont have to try this if you dont want to.
    Did you even try the app that you posted? It doesnt even work for me, im using ICS.

Also, it just turns off and turns on the service? What if you're using the internet for browsing, it just turns it off?
    The one im programming detects if you're using or not so it won't just turn off if you're using it :)
    I can also disable notification and that program cannot
    This one also enables Wi-Fi automatically if it detects that the phone is being charged.
    As posted on the 1st post, this is for my own use, and im just sharing it. If you dont want it, then please dont make any inappropriate comments

now back to the topic:
    Will send out the new updates later! :)
    Change Log:
    v2.0 - 08/11/12
    - new icon thanks to tantin75 :)
    - new log screen, press the description area once to launch the log screen
    - default timer is set to 5mins on 5mins off
    - advanced options menu (options still being tested and will be available in the future)
    - no longer requires deep sleep
    - a lot of bug fixes and optimization of the program

v1.5 - 07/25/12
    - minor bug fixes
    - Now launches the application when you tap on the notification icon

v1.4 - 07/24/12
    - fixed notification icon bug
    - added to start on boot

v1.3 - 07/24/12
    - removed a line of code that might have caused the f/c on some devices

v1.2 - 07/23/12
    - fixed the screen turn on bug which causes some devices to force close
    - added 2 time modes, 5 minutes and 10 minutes timeouts
    version 2.1 going to be out soon..

Auto Start on Boot will be available for everyone.
    Also, I improved the interface, and also changed how things work
    Before if you turn off the screen, automatically your data will be off before turning it back on.
    Now, if you turn off the screen, data will still be on for a few minutes before turning it off.
    I did this because in case you're sending out an email or using the net, then your phone screen turns off due to idle time, you will still be connected to the internet.

I also plan on adding timeout delay before Auto Data turns on. Meaning, lets say you define 5mins, after 5mins the screen is off before it will toggle the data on and off. But this one is still in the planning stage.
    Sorry guys been busy with work.
    Uploading version 2.0 now
    Default time is set to 5mins.
    Right now custom times are disabled... Im planning to release a PRO version as well if everything goes well, but it might be for donors instead of buying the app.
    I also have a Playstore account so if everything goes well I will be releasing it via Playstore.

Check the OP thread in a few minutes.