[Q] To the DEVs of Cromi-X, Crombi-KK and / or Browser2Ram

Search This thread

MiM81

Aug 26, 2014
Hello,
I'm new here, therefor I think I'm not allowed to post in the developer's threads...

I just wanted to say that there is a problem with the browser2ram script and opera:
Opera performs very bad on my TF700 (using cromi-x), and when I look for tmpfs I cannot see something mounted for opera:
Code:
root@android:/ # cat /proc/mounts | grep tmpfs
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
tmpfs /storage tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=050,gid=1028 0 0
tmpfs /storage/emulated tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=050,gid=1028 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/secure tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=700 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
com.android.browser_cache /data/data/com.android.browser/cache tmpfs rw,relatime,size=102400k 0 0
com.android.chrome_cache /data/data/com.android.chrome/cache tmpfs rw,relatime,size=102400k 0 0
com.chrome.beta_cache /data/data/com.chrome.beta/cache tmpfs rw,relatime,size=102400k 0 0
com.jiubang.browser_cache /data/data/com.jiubang.browser/cache tmpfs rw,relatime,size=102400k 0 0
tmpfs /Removable tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0

In the script it says:
Code:
root@android:/ # cat /system/etc/init.d/70B2R
datadir=/data/data/$BROWSER/cache

but when you look at
Code:
root@android:/ # ls /data/data | grep opera
com.opera.browser
root@android:/ # ls /data/data/com.opera.browser/
lib
root@android:/ # ls /data/data/com.opera.browser/lib/
libch.so
liblzma.so
libom.so
there obviously doesn't exist any file or folder named "cache", so I think they changed something or the browser2ram script never worked for opera?

Would be glad if this could be fixed. :)

btw: I never ever get such smooth "ipad-like" scrolling with any kitkat rom, just with jellybean based roms and stock or chrome browser. Is that normal? :confused:
(pls no info about the differences between android and ipad rendering while scrolling, I know about that, just wanted to know if everybody has similar issues with scrolling smoothness kitkat vs jellybean)
greets,
MiM81

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hello,
I'm new here, therefor I think I'm not allowed to post in the developer's threads...

I just wanted to say that there is a problem with the browser2ram script and opera:
Opera performs very bad on my TF700 (using cromi-x), and when I look for tmpfs I cannot see something mounted for opera:
Code:
root@android:/ # cat /proc/mounts | grep tmpfs
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
tmpfs /storage tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=050,gid=1028 0 0
tmpfs /storage/emulated tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=050,gid=1028 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/secure tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=700 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
com.android.browser_cache /data/data/com.android.browser/cache tmpfs rw,relatime,size=102400k 0 0
com.android.chrome_cache /data/data/com.android.chrome/cache tmpfs rw,relatime,size=102400k 0 0
com.chrome.beta_cache /data/data/com.chrome.beta/cache tmpfs rw,relatime,size=102400k 0 0
com.jiubang.browser_cache /data/data/com.jiubang.browser/cache tmpfs rw,relatime,size=102400k 0 0
tmpfs /Removable tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0

In the script it says:
Code:
root@android:/ # cat /system/etc/init.d/70B2R
datadir=/data/data/$BROWSER/cache

but when you look at
Code:
root@android:/ # ls /data/data | grep opera
com.opera.browser
root@android:/ # ls /data/data/com.opera.browser/
lib
root@android:/ # ls /data/data/com.opera.browser/lib/
libch.so
liblzma.so
libom.so
there obviously doesn't exist any file or folder named "cache", so I think they changed something or the browser2ram script never worked for opera?

Would be glad if this could be fixed. :)

btw: I never ever get such smooth "ipad-like" scrolling with any kitkat rom, just with jellybean based roms and stock or chrome browser. Is that normal? :confused:
(pls no info about the differences between android and ipad rendering while scrolling, I know about that, just wanted to know if everybody has similar issues with scrolling smoothness kitkat vs jellybean)
greets,
MiM81

I will look into it - opera must have changed where their cache goes.

BTW try ZOMBi-X for smooth like scrolling on KK ;)

EDIT There are 4 versions of opera - which one should I be installing?

d9VeQ39.png

Last edited:

MiM81

Aug 26, 2014
I will look into it - opera must have changed where there cache goes.

BTW try ZOMBi-X for smooth like scrolling on KK ;)

I did so, am on Zombi-X now, so it took me a while to answer. If you change gallery from aosp to asus, gallery cannot be started btw
Nonetheless you're right, everything is snappy and smooth now (though stock browser still is not as smooth as when running cromi-x, but chrome runs better now)
Thx so far
Just to describe, what behaviour I mean when saying "smooth": In ios everything stops rendering while scrolling (easy to test with animated gifs: no animation while scrolling). Therefor scrolling is always smooth as technically an unanimated image is scrolled.

In Android, when I use stock browser ("real" stock or alternate with smoother scrolling) and browser2ram on cromi-x, the scrolling is almost as smooth as on ios: there is still rendering but when I slowly move my finger over the screen from bottom to top, the page content stays exactly under my finger.
With any kitkat based rom the scrolling is smooth while I do it QUICK (results in very fast scrolling and smooth slowing down) but when I slowly move my finger over the screen (as I think most users do while reading articles, forum threads and so on) there is always some disturbing stuttering and the content does not stay exactly under the finger. (still talking about stock browser, chrome is nice scrolling now)
I hope this was a clear description as I am German and my English is not that good...

EDIT There are 4 versions of opera - which one should I be installing?
Didn't reinstall anything yet but I for myself use to install "Opera Browser for Android", I think...

greets,
MiM81

Last edited:

MiM81

Aug 26, 2014
ok I checked and com.opera.browser has a cache folder inside and is also getting cached.... ??

mount | grep tmpfs

shows it caching nicely.

Huh? Okay, then something went wrong in my case. As you can see from my code pastings, there has not been any "cache" folder for me.

Since I was running cromi-x and now am using your newest build zombi-x ( ... outstanding by the way!) and I cannot obtain root (terminal doesn't start and super su doesn't work yet) I cannot see if everything is okay with opera's cache now.
But I think so as you tell me so ;)
So thx for watching

greets,
MiM81

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Huh? Okay, then something went wrong in my case. As you can see from my code pastings, there has not been any "cache" folder for me.

Since I was running cromi-x and now am using your newest build zombi-x ( ... outstanding by the way!) and I cannot obtain root (terminal doesn't start and super su doesn't work yet) I cannot see if everything is okay with opera's cache now.
But I think so as you tell me so ;)
So thx for watching

greets,
MiM81

Flash this to get root back for now ;)

that should kick start your B2R as it needs root :)

http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=8198

MiM81

Aug 26, 2014
Flash this to get root back for now ;)

that should kick start your B2R as it needs root :)

http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=8198
Thank you. Super Su seems to work now, while apps which need super user rights still seem to have problems. At last in my case (better to say that a little more explicit since the browser cache problem ... hehe)
For example Terminal still does force close immediately and AdAway obtains super user rights but closes about 1 minute later.

But I know everything is beta and I am very impressed by your new ROM, so please feel free to do all the more important stuff first :)
I am very happy that people like you find the time to build these roms, as this is what still makes me prefer my tf700 (even my old tf101) over my ipad 3 though all the trouble with ASUS support.

greets,
MiM81

Last edited:

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thank you. Super Su seems to work now, while apps which need super user rights still seem to have problems. At last in my case (better to say that a little more explicit since the browser cache problem ... hehe)
For example Terminal still does force close immediately and AdAway obtains super user rights but closes about 1 minute later.

But I know everything is beta and I am very impressed by your new ROM, so please feel free to do all the more important stuff first :)
I am very happy that people like you find the time to build these roms, as this is what still makes me prefer my tf700 (even my old tf101) over my ipad 3 though all the trouble with ASUS support.

greets,
MiM81

I have fixed terminal for the next release later ;) That was a different issue and my fault.

I haven't seen an issue with adaway - can you be more specific?

MiM81

Aug 26, 2014
I have fixed terminal for the next release later ;) That was a different issue and my fault.

I haven't seen an issue with adaway - can you be more specific?

I installed the zip file and rebooted. Then I started AdAway (for the first time) just because I know it would ask me to obtain super user rights (to test if super su ist working now). It started and about 1 minute later there was a system popup, telling me AdAway force closed. Now I rebooted and AdAway says it is working fine. (about 5 minutes now since reboot).

I cannot check if it really does as I run my own dns-server with dns manipulations very similar to those used by AdAway, but I think it is running okay since it says it could successfully update the hosts file.

greets,
MiM81

MiM81

Aug 26, 2014
@sbdags in the hope you will read it here as I am not allowed to post in the right section yet:

So... now that I wrote so many different possibilities, I finally have found what irritates me when I try to use the omni switch bar:

1. Open some app with the app launcher menu of omni switch bar which you did not open before (not in your recent apps list), let's say Google Maps.
2. Now that Google Maps is in your recent apps list (the omni switch bar) long press it and make it a floating window.
3. Now for some reason use the home button to look at your homescreen.
4. Now reopen omni switch bar, you want to go back to your Google Maps: Google maps item will be disappered.
5. Reopen Google Maps by using the app launcher menu in omni switch bar again: your floating window of Google Maps still exists and will reappear.
6. For some reason you switch a while between several floating windows you have and then you are in the app launcher menu and decide to press Google Maps button from there to switch back to your existing instance of that app (just because you see it there next to your finger while looking for some other app and you were able to let it reappear this way before) : Now a new instance in full view opens, instead of the existing one. The existing instance does not (accessible) exist any longer.

This way my original post here got more and more confusing as I switched alot the way described above and therefor every few minutes had different "stages" of my forum editor content here (due to several instnces of chrome) and didn't understand what was going on.

So for me it would be highly more usable if:
1. apps won't disappear from the recent apps list after pressing the home button (they should stay accessible all the time as long as they are recent...)
2. there would be all the time in any case used the same instances of apps, not new ones.

Might be I just didn't really understand the benefits of the floating apps feature, but these 2 points would make it much more intuitive for me to use it. :)

greets,
MiM81

Last edited: