I dropped it! :o

Search This thread

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
After having my A500 for 8 months, I dropped it the other day from about waist high onto this office carpteting (not a very soft landing). I was holding it under my arm while messing with a broken umbrella and let it slip. Quickly checked it to make sure the screen didn't crack.. All was fine.... until....

later that night went to turn it on and immediate "felt" something was wrong. It had landed right on the corner where the power button is. Power button itself is fine, but the plastic kind of buckeled up right next to it, make it hard to press. Then I noticed that the casing doesn't fit tight in that corner anymore. Can't get it to snap in, so now there's a small gap along the upper part where the volume switch is.

Everything still works fine, thank goodness. I think the aluminum corner got bent just a little. I might have to pop the cover off and see how i might fit it back together correctly.

appoaf

May 22, 2012
After having my A500 for 8 months, I dropped it the other day from about waist high onto this office carpteting (not a very soft landing). I was holding it under my arm while messing with a broken umbrella and let it slip. Quickly checked it to make sure the screen didn't crack.. All was fine.... until....

later that night went to turn it on and immediate "felt" something was wrong. It had landed right on the corner where the power button is. Power button itself is fine, but the plastic kind of buckeled up right next to it, make it hard to press. Then I noticed that the casing doesn't fit tight in that corner anymore. Can't get it to snap in, so now there's a small gap along the upper part where the volume switch is.

Everything still works fine, thank goodness. I think the aluminum corner got bent just a little. I might have to pop the cover off and see how i might fit it back together correctly.

I know this is kind of old, but did you get anywhere? My 3yr old dropped mine, same symptoms: broke part of the plastic around pwr btn, slightly bent aluminum, gap around volume rocker. The volume key keeps falling in... I've taken it apart, and it seems the snap fastener in that corner was sheered... Let me know if you tried any fixes.

pinmemo

Mar 21, 2012
BKK
my A500 in cheap as* leather chinese ebay case hit the ground just like the OP and luckily the landing point was the reset button not the power. A big chunk of plastic around the USB ports is all gone though..

ACER is known for making fragile devices, however just like the above cat said, "Had it been an ipad, it'd be shattered in a million pieces."

evelbug

Oct 6, 2010
Tonawanda, NY
Mine had a similar fall as above. It fell out of my bag while getting it out of the car onto the parking lot. The corner doesn't fit together tightly where the power button is. Since it doesn't fit flush in that corner, the rear camera doesn't focus right, but I never use the rear camera. When I dropped it, I thought it was done for, so I'm happy it faired as well as it did

skurtov

Sep 20, 2011
Mine took a tumble down the basement stairs onto a concrete floor. It didn't survive, but I replaced the digitizer on my own:)

D

Deleted member 5143193

Ive dropped it a couple of times, but only small distances and it has landed flat on it's back.
Thank goodness it's alright!

Sent from my A500 using xda app-developers app

superhotluv

Sep 27, 2010
I broke mine too.

way back in September 2011, I dropped mine from the waist height, and broke the digitizer. Luckily all was working. Though heart broken, still I kept on working with it. Approached Acer, and they quoted a total replacement cost of $250 :eek:.

Started to look for replacements in EBay, but unfortunately the cost was closet to $200

Anyway, I decided not to get it done from ACER. I was just lucky that the damage was in one corner, (mostly in the black border) and few non irritating long cracks across the screen. So I just covered the black border with another Black tape and used the tab in the same condition for next 8 months.

By June 2012 the digitizer cost in ebay dropped to $70. I bought and replaced it myself. Now the Tab is absolutely fit and fine. Now the digitizer costs almost $30 on Ebay. So any one still waiting for a replacement, I would recommend buying one from ebay.

Within a few days of replacement, I bought a TPU cover. This has a very sticky back, and gives you great confidence and convenience in handling the tab. This TPU cover is highly recommended.

Now its 8 more months ever since I replaced the digitizer, and nothing has ever happened it so far.

Though this hardware is 2 years old, but I am still in love with this hardware. I have an additional Samsung tab 2, but nothing to beat ACER. :cool:

Last edited:

JGBE50

Jan 6, 2012
Las Palmas G. C.
Glad to read those ACER hardware stories with happy endings. Hope I won't have to write myself that kind of stories.;)

Enviado desde mi A500 usando Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts