[Q] Recovery can't read/wipe/partition int/ext storage

Search This thread

sumDewd

Jan 31, 2012
Hello,

Long-time lurker and flasher, newb poster. I've spent the last couple days wearing myself out searching and reading, but my problem seems a bit unique.

I've been running CM 11 nightly on my TF300T for quite some time (CM 10.0, 10.2 before that), and decided to perform a factory reset since I'm planning to sell it. My issue is that after performing the reset, I get through the Google account setup stuff fine, but then com.android.systemui (I believe) crashes. I can still access the status bar and can get to settings that way, but can't launch any apps and have a blank screen except for the non-functioning soft nav keys and status bar. "Corrupted installation then. Fine," I thought. "I'll just revert back to stock anyway and allow the buyer to install their ROM of choice or stay on stock."

So when I go in to CWM recovery and attempt to flash the official 4.2 stock ROM from Asus, it keeps spitting out errors that the various partitions cannot be mounted. I also get these errors when attempting to wipe or manually format anything. Additionally, while i can browse the internal file system via an MTP mount on my computer, I cannot write anything (I don't recall anything indicating it was a permissions issue). The last thing I've done was tried to flash the stock 4.2 ROM via fastboot and get this:

Code:
coeurl platform-tools # ./fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash zip US_epad-user-10.6.1.27.5.zip 
sending 'zip' (508212 KB)...
OKAY [ 85.688s]
writing 'zip'...
FAILED (remote: Invalid Partition Name.)
finished. total time: 85.707s

Any thoughts? I *was* wise enough to perform an nvflash backup of the blobs, but that was on ICS (before they had JB capability--looks like they do now). I would rather not mess with nvflash if I don't have to. And if it comes to that, are the old ICS blobs safe to use if I'm on JB bootloader (I did do a stock upgrade to JB before flashing CM the first time, of course)?

Sorry for the long-windedness:eek: I'm afraid I may have to write off the loss.

PS - One extra thing I feel I should mention is that while I unfroze any frozen system apps before doing the initial factory reset on CM 11, there were some gapps (Hangouts, Youtube, ....various Google apps I don't trust or use) that I deleted entirely from the device. Could that have caused problems maybe, being that they were flashed in with gapps.zip and therefore system apps?

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Hello,

Long-time lurker and flasher, newb poster. I've spent the last couple days wearing myself out searching and reading, but my problem seems a bit unique.

I've been running CM 11 nightly on my TF300T for quite some time (CM 10.0, 10.2 before that), and decided to perform a factory reset since I'm planning to sell it. My issue is that after performing the reset, I get through the Google account setup stuff fine, but then com.android.systemui (I believe) crashes. I can still access the status bar and can get to settings that way, but can't launch any apps and have a blank screen except for the non-functioning soft nav keys and status bar. "Corrupted installation then. Fine," I thought. "I'll just revert back to stock anyway and allow the buyer to install their ROM of choice or stay on stock."

So when I go in to CWM recovery and attempt to flash the official 4.2 stock ROM from Asus, it keeps spitting out errors that the various partitions cannot be mounted. I also get these errors when attempting to wipe or manually format anything. Additionally, while i can browse the internal file system via an MTP mount on my computer, I cannot write anything (I don't recall anything indicating it was a permissions issue). The last thing I've done was tried to flash the stock 4.2 ROM via fastboot and get this:

Code:
coeurl platform-tools # ./fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash zip US_epad-user-10.6.1.27.5.zip 
sending 'zip' (508212 KB)...
OKAY [ 85.688s]
writing 'zip'...
FAILED (remote: Invalid Partition Name.)
finished. total time: 85.707s

Any thoughts? I *was* wise enough to perform an nvflash backup of the blobs, but that was on ICS (before they had JB capability--looks like they do now). I would rather not mess with nvflash if I don't have to. And if it comes to that, are the old ICS blobs safe to use if I'm on JB bootloader (I did do a stock upgrade to JB before flashing CM the first time, of course)?

Sorry for the long-windedness:eek: I'm afraid I may have to write off the loss.

PS - One extra thing I feel I should mention is that while I unfroze any frozen system apps before doing the initial factory reset on CM 11, there were some gapps (Hangouts, Youtube, ....various Google apps I don't trust or use) that I deleted entirely from the device. Could that have caused problems maybe, being that they were flashed in with gapps.zip and therefore system apps?

As long as you still have fastboot this is not to bad of a deal :p

Shoot me an email @ jl52741@gmail,com

Let see if we can get you back on the right path ...

Thx Josh

sumDewd

Jan 31, 2012
Thanks Josh, emailed.

I actually have a bit of an update -- I got a bit desperate and tried a few different things via fastboot, and was able to get partions readable/wipable/flashable again. But now no system will boot (CM or stock). I even went through the nvflash process and was able to reflash the bootloader and everything else (seemingly) fine via APX mode. Regardless of what system images I flash, it just hangs at the Asus logo screen, and keeps rebooting when I attempt to power it off.

Anyone up for a game of frisbee? :p

Edit: after a few tries I got nvflash to work properly. Fixed!

Last edited:

jralexan1

Dec 28, 2013
Thanks Josh, emailed.

I actually have a bit of an update -- I got a bit desperate and tried a few different things via fastboot, and was able to get partions readable/wipable/flashable again. But now no system will boot (CM or stock). I even went through the nvflash process and was able to reflash the bootloader and everything else (seemingly) fine via APX mode. Regardless of what system images I flash, it just hangs at the Asus logo screen, and keeps rebooting when I attempt to power it off.

Anyone up for a game of frisbee? :p

Edit: after a few tries I got nvflash to work properly. Fixed!

So, uhm, would you mind a short rehash of what you did to fix it?

thx,
ja