[Q] Using Tablet as a Multi-User/Family Platform

Search This thread

Zaphod-Beeblebrox

Dec 3, 2009
Virginia
I bought a G-Tab for my son (7) and myself for Christmas. We have three other android devices in the home (2 Droid2's and my DroidX). My son also has a Droid Eris we set up for him with WiFI (no service) to play around with, etc.

The Tablet is more of a 'Want' for me, and I keep struggling with just exactly what do I want it to be besides a 10 inch Angry Birds device.

The plan is that the Tablet is just kind of 'around' the living room, etc. Would be nice if each family member could sync their g-mail/e-mail/facebook, etc. but have each persons account 'segregated'.
I noticed that TnT would allow setting up of different family accounts, but I quickly removed TnT in favor of TnT lite.
Does anyone know of any strategies for allowing 'login' style access to certain accounts, etc? I don't think android is set up for this natively so I may be trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

jlmartinjr

Dec 3, 2010
I am looking for the same functionality, I did not want any user to pick it up and access my emails, etc.

Zaphod-Beeblebrox

Dec 3, 2009
Virginia
What??!?!? That's not enough for you?

Sent from my G-Tablet running Vega-Nb5.1

Well, it was for a while. It's now a 10-inch Can-knockdown device :)

I've also been working on integrating into my truck as a GPS solution.

But, Back on topic... The way that Android handles accounts makes me believe the goal of this thread is not likely.

gksmith

Dec 23, 2010
Good luck with the integration. I did the same thing 2 years back with a Garmin 7500. That was all install and video.

As far as the multi-user part goes, maybe a different Linux.

Sent from my GTablet using Tapatalk

Reactions: acid123

stiphy

Sep 17, 2010
The OP's tablet use case mimics mine exactly and I'm so far disappointed that no one has really made multiple user profiles a core part of the tablet experience to date.

This was my knock on the Ipad from day one. I am more lenient now with the Android devices because we are running a phone OS on a tablet against Google's wishes. But IMO when Apple introduced a dedicated tablet the abilitly to have multiple user logins would've been a must have if I was going justify their high price.

I haven't even checked to see if Google is addressing this in Honeycomb but it would give them a huge leg up. I would only be willing to pay > $400 for a tablet device if it could do what my PC does, aka serve multiple users in my house with unique profiles/apps/accounts etc.

How is this feature in TNT? I use Vegan right now.

Sean

Nospin

Nov 20, 2010
Despite what apple would want you to believe, the ipad is just a big ipod touch. Same with google, android is still a phone os that stubborn manufacturers shoved onto their tablets despite their objections. A multiple account login screen would be a nice feature on honeycomb, hopefully they can include it.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

MicroNuts

Apr 16, 2011
Chicago
Divide also works. Switchme and divide are both free. Try both and write about

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good luck with the integration. I did the same thing 2 years back with a Garmin 7500. That was all install and video.

As far as the multi-user part goes, maybe a different Linux.

Sent from my GTablet using Tapatalk