Bootable Root SDCard 1.4.0, 1.4.1, 1.4.2

Search This thread

MikeCriggs

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 24, 2010
Catskills, NY
twitter.com
I've owned a Nook Color before and also have an advanced background in Linux and Android. My uncle handed me his Nook Tablet BNTV250A on software version 1.4.3. Does anyone know if this exploit still works on the latest software or if a downgrade is possible without having to factory reset?

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I've owned a Nook Color before and also have an advanced background in Linux and Android. My uncle handed me his Nook Tablet BNTV250A on software version 1.4.3. Does anyone know if this exploit still works on the latest software or if a downgrade is possible without having to factory reset?
You might also want to take a look at this post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31271965&postcount=240, the rooting package referenced in the post (update.zip) is "minimalist" and probably more up to date.

Reactions: MikeCriggs

MikeCriggs

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 24, 2010
Catskills, NY
twitter.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I expanded on Indirect's bootable root sdcard and create an image that includes a update.zip image. The purpose of this is to root your Nook Tablet so additional software can be installed from the Android market or other sources. You will need a Micro SDCard that is at least 2 GB. If you want to add additional applications, flash this image to the sdcard then put your sdcard in the computer, open up the update.zip file and add your applications to the data folder. This has been tested on 1.4.0, 1.4.1, and 1.4.2 and everything works. Once your nook tablet has been root, you can reformat your sdcard from within the nook and use it as you normally would. Remember, if you have to do this again, you can just reflash the image to the sdcard.

This will add the following:

root
    superuser
    gapps
    unknown sources hack
    ez file explorer
    adw launcher
    Home Catcher
    Home Manager (allows you to switch between launchers easily)
    BHT
    busybox
    NT Hidden Setting
    GetJar
    Amazon App Store
    Slashtop HD (Free from getjar)

Unzip file
    Flash the image to an SDCard greater than 2GB
    Power Down Nook
    Put in sdcard
    Boot nook
    Choose "Apply update.zip from sdcard"
    When it is finish, remove sdcard and choose reboot.

Thanks quid246 for pointing out an issue with the permissions.

Download image file:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?r2z56nq7c8lu717

Download imaging software
    https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.5/0.5/+download/win32diskimager-binary.zip
    Is everything on this one download, rather than Indirect's 3 download files? Or is this just the img file?

One download; unzip the image; flash the image; boot
    wait, so you used other peoples work and didn't give credit? You added a single line and called it your own? This thread should be closed.

What came first the chicken or the egg? Let me try...

1) Indirect creates the 1.4.1 SD Card root method
    2) Indirect enlists the help of brianf21 to "finish what he started"
    3) Indirect disappears from the thread never to be seen again
    4) Albert creates his SD card thread
    5) Brian takes his work and creates a thread where he has control of the OP

Is this close? As someone who has been on this site pretty much everyday for a couple of weeks now I "assumed" that Albert's cards were simply Indirect/Brian stuff packaged with better instructions. Is this true? If not I apologize.
    message 1 line 1
    I expanded on Indirect's bootable root sdcard and create an image that includes a update.zip image

Looks like giving credit to me...
    I just tried this out after updating to 1.4.2, and it works successfully (16 GB NT), so I suppose you can change the title to 1.4.0, 1.4.1, and 1.4.2 :). I used the Win32DiskImager from indirect's thread to flash the image to my SD card in case anyone is still unclear on it.