refurbished a100

Search This thread

tonyny13

Sep 7, 2007
So my local micro center store have the Acer A100 refurbished for 199.99 I got to score a clearance one for 160$(180$) with taxes. I bought it cuz I want to use it as my music/video player in my car only problem battery doesn't seem to last more than 4 hours :/ and it can't be charge with the USB cable :( . I'm thinking if I should return it for the galaxy tablet 2 7inch which is 249.99 or get the the A200 which is 279.99$ . Any recommendations guys also does any of you know of a good car stands??I have seen some on eBay for about 60$ seems to be too much for a bracket .

Swyzzlestickz

Jul 13, 2009
Chicago, IL
Wow!

I would like to say that I am on a similar path right now with the choice between what to do with me money and tablet. I got one for 199.99 here in Chicago, I was strongly debating which one I wanted to go with. My reasons are similar yo yours aswell and I am also wondering about the Car docks or stands. As far as specs go with one already running ICS which was a big draw for me. The only thing that differs from me and you is I want to use the tab for signing contracts from photography work. I am hoping that the S-pen will work with either of them. Or ill have to bite the bullet and go with a HTC View/Flyer for the pen support. I personally would exchange the unit seeing as how you are getting 4 hours of usage out of it and then wait for the ICS on the 27th and make a decision from there. If you have and suggestions on a tablet under 300 that will allow for signing with a stylus(spen/fujitsu?/N-trig) please throw the name out there

opto88

Apr 23, 2012
Maybe this will help

I was also unhappy with having only 3-4 hours of battery life but I followed another board's explanation on how to make/use battery power packs. I now get about 12-20 hours of normal usage with my setup which is a 4800 ah 12v Li-on battery + an Acer a100 adapter wire and plug. The whole deal only cost about $28.
Now I love my little tablet!!:)

CMeys

Feb 21, 2007
I was also unhappy with having only 3-4 hours of battery life but I followed another board's explanation on how to make/use battery power packs. I now get about 12-20 hours of normal usage with my setup which is a 4800 ah 12v Li-on battery + an Acer a100 adapter wire and plug. The whole deal only cost about $28.
Now I love my little tablet!!:)

Can you please link to that other board's explanation.

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
I would like to say that I am on a similar path right now with the choice between what to do with me money and tablet. I got one for 199.99 here in Chicago, I was strongly debating which one I wanted to go with. My reasons are similar yo yours aswell and I am also wondering about the Car docks or stands. As far as specs go with one already running ICS which was a big draw for me. The only thing that differs from me and you is I want to use the tab for signing contracts from photography work. I am hoping that the S-pen will work with either of them. Or ill have to bite the bullet and go with a HTC View/Flyer for the pen support. I personally would exchange the unit seeing as how you are getting 4 hours of usage out of it and then wait for the ICS on the 27th and make a decision from there. If you have and suggestions on a tablet under 300 that will allow for signing with a stylus(spen/fujitsu?/N-trig) please throw the name out there

In my opinion if you're gonna be using it mostly for signing I hear lots of good stuff about the HTC flyer or View. It's still running HC and will probably will never see ICS but you cant beat the stylus and screen. They work well together. Also that can be charged via micro usb. Longer battery. The single core is powerful enough for what you'll be doing with it.

The sammy is good too but too much proprietary connectors going on with it. But at 249 you get the latest stuff. It's probably a good idea to check out one for yourself. Unless someone can chime in. I've never seen or played with it myself.

As far as Acer goes, it does sometimes suffer from touch screen losing touch with either finger or capacitive stylus if its just sitting on a table. But there is a fix for it in HC but I'm sure youre gonna want to upgrade to ICS eventually when it comes out. For the most part ICS eliminates the issue but I still can see it from time to time. To eliminate the issue completely you have to hold the tablet with 1 hand so its grounded while you touch the screen with your other finger or stylus. Also when its plugged into the charger it doesnt have the issue.

Reactions: Swyzzlestickz

opto88

Apr 23, 2012
Power Pack

Can you please link to that other board's explanation.

Happy to .It is post #22 by st23r on the Forum "External battery for A100".

He cut the cord but it is not necessary if you purchase the following on Ebay under "Car DC Adapter For ACER ICONIA TAB A100 Tablet PC Auto Power Supply Cord PSU P/S"
Make sure you ask for the extension cord ONLY. It will be $4.99

Get a Li-On battery here: Ebay "Power Pack 12V Li-On battery 4800 ah"
It will cost $23.74 delivered (USA). Both parts fit together without adapters or cord cutting.
Hope it works as well for you as me.

CMeys

Feb 21, 2007
Happy to .It is post #22 by st23r on the Forum "External battery for A100".

He cut the cord but it is not necessary if you purchase the following on Ebay under "Car DC Adapter For ACER ICONIA TAB A100 Tablet PC Auto Power Supply Cord PSU P/S"
Make sure you ask for the extension cord ONLY. It will be $4.99

Get a Li-On battery here: Ebay "Power Pack 12V Li-On battery 4800 ah"
It will cost $23.74 delivered (USA). Both parts fit together without adapters or cord cutting.
Hope it works as well for you as me.

Thank you. I saw that post but was confused about the cutting cord part.

In the first eBay item, I don't see an option to get just the extension cord -- do you need to specifically ask the seller for it?

opto88

Apr 23, 2012
A100 extension cord

Yes, you need to contact the seller. The one I used was 'utopiadreamglobal' but I'm pretty sure any of them would do it.

Swyzzlestickz

Jul 13, 2009
Chicago, IL
In my opinion if you're gonna be using it mostly for signing I hear lots of good stuff about the HTC flyer or View. It's still running HC and will probably will never see ICS but you cant beat the stylus and screen. They work well together. Also that can be charged via micro usb. Longer battery. The single core is powerful enough for what you'll be doing with it.

The sammy is good too but too much proprietary connectors going on with it. But at 249 you get the latest stuff. It's probably a good idea to check out one for yourself. Unless someone can chime in. I've never seen or played with it myself.

As far as Acer goes, it does sometimes suffer from touch screen losing touch with either finger or capacitive stylus if its just sitting on a table. But there is a fix for it in HC but I'm sure youre gonna want to upgrade to ICS eventually when it comes out. For the most part ICS eliminates the issue but I still can see it from time to time. To eliminate the issue completely you have to hold the tablet with 1 hand so its grounded while you touch the screen with your other finger or stylus. Also when its plugged into the charger it doesnt have the issue.

I returned the Acer tab. I shouldn't have to go through the rings to get good tablet life for a refurbished device and that extra 28 dollars almost put me in the same range as the Samsung device. I am somewhat happy with the SGT2 with the exclusion of root and crappy tablet touch wiz like deal going on. I got 16 hours of use the first day with it being out of the box no charge. I love the HTC flyer/view but here in Chicago those things cost the same as a new SGT2. I guess ill hit the CL for other states close by and see what I can find.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.