[ROM] CyanogenMod 7.2.0 RC0 for Samsung Epic 4G SPH-D700 - Now with WiMAX!

Search This thread

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Is switching between the two as easy as wipe and flash? Currently getting horrible battery on the CM9 beta0 and was thinking going back to CM7 for now. Unsure if there are any more steps I should take.

well kinda just wipe everything is all so to go back just Wipe all 3 things, then flash rom, gapps, then if you want custom kernel if you run them. but before anything always nandroid

Reactions: Ultro

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
From alpha to Release Candidate while skipping beta? That would be a hell of a jump... Release candidates are, as their name suggests, candidates for final release (as in, more bug free than the best beta)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

Well he had a point, cm7 had already gone alpha to beta and was at RC0 status months ago....then there where the night lies....now its back to beta1 .... when it got to RC0 that's when it became official on CyanogenMod and added to Rom Manager....just read the title of this thread RC 0 .....funny timeline

Sent from my MTD Epic 4G SGS using Tapatalk

Reactions: KennyG123

styles420

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
Well he had a point, cm7 had already gone alpha to beta and was at RC0 status months ago....then there where the night lies....now its back to beta1 .... when it got to RC0 that's when it became official on CyanogenMod and added to Rom Manager....just read the title of this thread RC 0 .....funny timeline

Sent from my MTD Epic 4G SGS using Tapatalk

A release candidate is usually the last beta (if it becomes a successful candidate). The nightlies are experimental builds on top of that RC, meaning they contain new (alpha, if you will) features, but the overall rom does not regress to alpha status. The timeline still fits.

CM9 has only just reached the first beta stage, and the first beta rarely, if ever, becomes the first RC beta. It is not impossible, just highly unlikely. I only intended to point out that the safer assumption would be that a couple betas will appear after the alpha stage, before the first RC

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Most of us assumed the RC0 in the thread title stood for Release Candidate 0 and would move to RC1 next with the nightlies aiming it that way. Not many thought RC0 meant Not Even Alpha Release Candidate 0. The explanations are even more confusing than the title changes. RC should have never been in the thread title.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

lownox

Aug 26, 2008
If you follow the instructions HERE you will get a zip that is titled...

update-cm-7.2.0-RC0-epicmtd-KANG-signed.zip

That tutorial is syncing the cm7 gingerbread branch. If you change the branch to gb-release-7.2 the resulting zip you get from the build will be...

update-cm-7.2.0-RC1-epicmtd-KANG-signed.zip

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

It would be cool if you could make those "cherries" an addon or flashable for cm7 beta1 so I don't have flash your full ROM :)

This is possible. For example, if you wanted the option for overscroll glow color it seems you could pick the framework, CMParts apk, and ThemeChooser apk from my 031312 build that has that option built in and add it to the B1 release and the feature would work.

I personally can't imagine what the B1 build has that a clean KANG wouldn't, but then again, I haven't looked either. ;)

I will look at making a zip tonight if I can get away from the wife. :D

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas

That tutorial is syncing the cm7 gingerbread branch. If you change the branch to gb-release-7.2 the resulting zip you get from the build will be...

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

This is possible. For example, if you wanted the option for overscroll glow color it seems you could pick the framework, CMParts apk, and ThemeChooser apk from my 031312 build that has that option built in and add it to the B1 release and the feature would work.

I personally can't imagine what the B1 build has that a clean KANG wouldn't, but then again, I haven't looked either. ;)

Nothing against your ROM just got my cm7 setup and saw you had a new kang and like your add ons and didn't feel like flashing a fresh new rom.

lownox

Aug 26, 2008
Nothing against your ROM just got my cm7 setup and saw you had a new kang and like your add ons and didn't feel like flashing a fresh new rom.

That's cool. Please don't think I was pushing my builds. :) KANG builds always have the latest merges... thus more up to date than nightly 45 (where the build-bot stopped)

The cherry picks are changes that haven't been merged yet... picked from here... review.cyanogenmod.com

Hopefully, I am not stating the obvious. ;)

hayzooos

Mar 10, 2011
Illinois

I looked through some of the info provided, but I have one question: The only issue I have with CM7 is the video recorder. It doesn't auto adjust the light when moving from light to dark, so it's basically stuck to the balance of when you turn it on. Is there any change you have fixed this (or maybe know how) in your latest KANG build?

If so, I'm all frickin over it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CRISIS AVERTED. NIGHTLY-9 IS EXPECTED TO BE SAFE. NORMAL PRECAUTIONS APPLY.

CyanogenMod is a free, community built distribution of Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

THIS IS NOT SAMSUNG TOUCHWIZ AND NEVER WILL BE. DO NOT ASK ABOUT IT. THANK YOU.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

This is an AOSP-based build with extra contributions from many people which you can use without any type of Google applications. I found a link from some other project that can be used to restore the Google parts, which can be found below or elsewhere in the thread. I've still included the various hardware-specific code, which seems to be slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Visit the CHANGELOG for a full list of changes and features!

QBKing77 was kind enough to produce a couple of videos about Epic's CM7
    Please note that these were done before WiMAX was released.

How to Install

Review

INSTRUCTIONS:

- First time flashing CM 7 to your Epic (or coming from another ROM)?

1. Unlock/root your device and install Clockwork Recovery
    2. Do a Nandroid backup!
    3. WIPE
    4. Install the ROM
    5. Optionally install the Google Addon

- Upgrading from earlier CM7 or nightly build?

• Do a Nandroid Backup!
    • Install the ROM (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

HOW TO REPORT BUGS OR PROBLEMS?

• Was it a soft reboot or a "boot loop"? Run "adb logcat" and get me the full output.
    • Pastebin links preferred

The current buglist:

• Native tethering does not work with WiMAX. Enabling either WiFi or USB tether will disconnect WiMAX until tether is turned off. Third-party wifi tethering apps are known to work.
    • WiMAX Toggle Widget is Broken.
      Attempting to use it may cause the notification bar to force-close. You can disable the widget entirely in the CyanogenMod Settings menu.
      WiMAX can be managed through the Wireless & Networks system setting screen.
      NOTE: There is a third-party WiMAX Toggle Widget on the Android Market. It is not free, but has been reported to work on NS4G. Work toward implementing a functioning native toggle widget is ongoing.

New Changes:

• WiMAX (uberpinguin, mkasick, wispoffates)
    • Fixed camcorder media profiles for smoother recording and better auto white balance. Also adds "HD" profile. (Decad3nce)
    • Torch toggle button in PowerWidget (noobnl)
    • New WiFi driver from Aries kernel. Fixes native WiFi Hotspot and toggle button.

Download Links

NIGHTLIES. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK.

md5sum: ddb0c474d8fbf2e8711938b903f7ce0b update-cm7.2.0-RC0-Epic-WiMAX-signed.zip

• Mirror 0 courtesy of Rodderik in irc.irondust.net/#epic.
    • Mirror 1 courtesy of bonsaikitten and dev.gentooexperimental.org.
    • Mirror 2 courtesy of Hydr0p0nX from irc.irondust.net/#epic.
    • Mirror 3 courtesy of Facebonez in irc.irondust.net/#epic.
    • Mirror 4 courtesy of likewhoa in irc.freenode.net/#gentoo-chat

GAPPS
    Download google applications

Google Talk with video addon
    Mirror: link
    Mirror: link

Thank you to EVERYONE involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging and documenting! Enjoy!

Changes:

• Fixed brightness control (noobnl)
    • WiFi Hotspot (decad3nce, noobnl, uberpinguin)
    • Fixed bad cached download mounts (noobnl)
    • Fixed overlay for video encoding/decoding (decad3nce & noobnl)
    • Fixed e911(mkasick)
    • Fixed most of the dhcpd clusterfuck(a couple more issues left)
    • Fixed init.d
    • Fixed cache errors
    • Fixed issues with logwrapper
    • MTD/yaffs2
    • Stage1/Stage2 inits
    • Updates from upstream
    • Backup/Restore fixed
    • Updated prebuilt modules
    • Compiled kernel from source MAJOR THANKS to mkasick and Rodderik
    • Fixed torch overlay
    • Fixed MMS overlay
    • Fixed incoming call routing
    • Fixed mic feedback/whistling
    • Adjusted APN for MMS - receiving works, sending fixed
    • Fixed application notification LED based on a tip from DRockstar
    • Fixed haptic feedback with a patch from jt1134

I recommend using the EI22 modem.
    Please note flashing someone else's kernel may ruin your experience with this rom and I advise against it. This rom is a result of many tiring hours from Decad3nce, noobnl, jt1134, Uberpinguin, nubecoder, mkasick, nullghost, dameon78, wispofattes, DRockstar, and many many other contributors.
    We're slowly closing in on, well, a cold and sweetly decadent dessert for all to enjoy.

So I'd like to take this opportunity to show off the idea by warren of a blog dedicated to the development process of CM for Epic

The blag can be found here: http://epiccm.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to abuse this centralized information hub directly from the group.
    I just want it to work. Not asking to get married for gods sake. If I have to drop down to 16bit textures, then this rom is total POS. This can do 70 million triangles a seconds! Ain't no effin way am I dropping down the beauty of the samoled screen just to make it scroll as good as eclair. No thxs. Bai.

Id rather buy a iphone before I drop down to 16bit.

thnx dis p0st if u cry evry tim.
    I will be here in a few minutes to clean this thread up.

There is an off topic lounge for chit chat if you want, but it doesn't belong in a development thread. That's the point of a DEVELOPMENT thread. If it's not pertaining to this rom, then don't post. If you need help finding the off topic lounge, I'll be glad to point you there.

Consider this a fair warning from this post on.

Thank you ;)

---Jay---
    Thread cleaned of the off-topic posts from the last few days.

Please keep it that way and don't make me be a jerk. I don't like it. :cool: