[Mod] Make/Receive Free Phone Calls! {V3} [Now Easier!]

Search This thread

bongostl

Apr 28, 2010
I've not had good experiences with grooveIP or talkatone. And I don't like the fact that it stops my calls in gmail from coming through. I use IP Comms + Sipsorcery for the sip solution to google voice. Then I use csipsimple as the android dailer/app. With a sipsorcery google voice dial plan, you can make & receive calls just fine. The sipsorcery dial plan does the whole google call back thing for you.

sipsorcery costs $$$ though, right?

(fyi---i use this same method plus a tasker tweak on my galaxy nexus to give me better reception at home, where tmobile sucks)

speedygonzo

Jan 20, 2012
Corpus Christi
Could this same mod be possible with SMS? I know that there is no MMS.apk present in the tablet, but maybe pull it from another devices system dump and install it on the Nexus 7 and change a modify the framework-res.apk once more?

Sent from my Rooted Google Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD

bongostl

Apr 28, 2010
Could this same mod be possible with SMS? I know that there is no MMS.apk present in the tablet, but maybe pull it from another devices system dump and install it on the Nexus 7 and change a modify the framework-res.apk once more?

nope--you can't....sms requires a cell connection.

but just use google voice! super easy and free, and works great.

Reactions: speedygonzo

scuzzbag87

Jul 26, 2011
Tustin
tablet talk?

what about tablet talk i use it for sms hooked up to my phone but i noticed it comes with 2 an sms one and a phone one. can u use tablet talk for calls? if so how do u set it up? tried it but cant figure it out

nextelbuddy

Aug 13, 2009
Hi!
I can't seem to recompile the APK I get this error:
Code:
For additional info, see: http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/

ECHO is off.
An error has occurred. Check the log for more info.
ECHO is off.

Press any key to continue . . .

And in the LogSimple file it just says this:

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------- 
|  Log - Fri 08/10/2012 -- 16:12:43.85  | 
|  Log - Fri 08/10/2012 -- 16:15:28.28  | 
|  Log - Sun 08/12/2012 -- 15:37:11.69  | 

Is this a know bug and is there a fix?
Thanks!
Michael

i have this same exact problem trying to compile the edited framework.

my LogProcess.txt shows:

Code:
|  Log - Wed 08/15/2012 -- 14:05:39.30  |  stuff\Framework modder\FrameworkFlasher-MOD\LogSimple.txt 
THE LOG BELOW IS FOR YOUR MOST RECENT PROCESS ONLY. 

java version "1.7.0_03"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_03-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 22.1-b02, mixed mode)

bongostl

Apr 28, 2010
i have this same exact problem trying to compile the edited framework.

my LogProcess.txt shows:

Code:
|  Log - Wed 08/15/2012 -- 14:05:39.30  |  stuff\Framework modder\FrameworkFlasher-MOD\LogSimple.txt 
THE LOG BELOW IS FOR YOUR MOST RECENT PROCESS ONLY. 

java version "1.7.0_03"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_03-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 22.1-b02, mixed mode)

Install/reinstall java

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

nextelbuddy

Aug 13, 2009
Install/reinstall java

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

same thing.

uninstalled All instanced of java from both machines i have, rebooted... verified that using runme.bat shows immediately java is not installed when attempting to compile.

reinstalled latest java and JRE 7 update 6 (7u6)

rebooted and attempted to run runme.bat and again same error as above.

showing echo off.

is it possible im running too new of a version of JRE?

what version of JRE are you running?

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
hm this looks awesome! will this work on the transformer prime? I imagine that it wouldn't make much difference which tablet you run it on.

yourbrotherrex

Mar 4, 2012
Could this same mod be possible with SMS? I know that there is no MMS.apk present in the tablet, but maybe pull it from another devices system dump and install it on the Nexus 7 and change a modify the framework-res.apk once more?<br />
<br />

That Tablettalk app I mentioned handles voice calls,SMS, and MMS perfectly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
It will work on ANY rom and any tablet, as long as you have root access.

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

This may be a dumb question, but how do I flash an update.zip if I've got a stock rooted device? I don't have a custom bootloader installed (Transformer Prime).

Thanks,
Ben

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
I have tried GrooveIP and when I answer a call it fc's, I'm not sure if it conflicts with Dsp manager which I also have installed but as soon as GrooveIP would fc, Dsp would fc right behind it. I've now tried Talkatone and it works.

I hade GrooveIP fc on me once when I tried answering a call. But when I tried it again, it worked fine. I don't recall having DSP manager FC, or if I even had it installed, or what ROM i was even on at the time lol

In any case, I have no issues on Clean ROM 1.1 + motley's 520Mhz kernel.

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
groove ip works great, but there's a massive echo on the other side whenever i talk to anyone. its so bad people don't want to talk to me over it lol

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a method to turn your n7 (or any other tablet) into a fully fledged soft phone with FREE incoming and outgoing calls all over the us.

This has the benefit over groove ip / sipdroid in that it still allows you to receive calls in Gmail. In addition, I found the call quality /delay in groove ip to be AWFUL.. This call quality is on par or better than tmobile wifi calling.

-----
    This guide presupposes that you use Google voice. This will work on ANY ROM as long as it has been deodexed.

I know it sounds complicated, but it's really pretty simple if you follow the steps... And pretty foolproof. It took me about 15minutes from beginning to end to do all of this.

Step one: configure incoming:
    1) set up a free SIP account with Callcentric.com . Once it is set up, click to 'add features' and add a free incoming number(note: if you don't want to pay for 911 services, you have to say that you're not in the US).
    3) setup a sip app on your tablet (i like csipsimple.... Free in the play store) and connect it to your callcentric, account (user name is your callcentric sip number... Should start with 1777)
    4) go to Google voice on your computer, go to settings, and add a new number. Add the number you were given by Callcentric (the phone number, not the 1777 number) . It will call and confirm you. It should ring through to your tablet! You now will receive incoming calls to your tablet! (note: if it can't 'hear' the numbers you are dialing, hang up, increase the volume on your tablet, and try again)

Now, let's get you set up for outgoing calls.
    1) download voice+ from the play store and connect it to your Google voice account.
    2) download exdialer from the play store (dialer one doesn't work... I don't know why)

Now you have two options. You can:

A) go here and use this nifty utility to modify your ROM for you http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1877891 (thanks Mateorod!)

or B) modify your framework-res.apk to make the tablet think that it is voice capable so that voice+ will be triggered when you make a call (this is what the above utility does for you).

1) download the framework-res editor that is attached here and unzip it
    2) copy your framework-res.apk from your ROM (found in the /system/framework folder) and put it in the 'place-framework-res-here' folder
    3) double click on 'run me' and decompile your framework-res
    4) in the 'files-to-edit' folder, click on framework-res.apk>res>values>bools (edit the bools.xml file)
    5) find the line for 'voice capable' and change 'false' to 'true'. save and close the file
    6) in the framework Flasher that you opened in step 3, choose '2' and compile a new apk
    7) choose option '3' and sign the apk.
    8) choose option 4 and create an update.zip
    9)flash the update.zip that you made
    10) click 'thank' for my help in making this guide ;)

Note: if you are getting an error about "echo off", you probably don't have java jre installed. Install that, and you should be good to go.

Done! You now have a fully working soft phone!
    i use grove ip and it works quite well. It connects thru google voice. the dialer is very similar to native dialer and can be set as the devices defalt phone voice video and test .

Not that i use it much my phone is always with me. Its just another cool app for a nice gadget
    Ok, I managed to obtain a proper framework-res.apk for JB 4.2.1 (with voice call enable :):) ... but I had to manually edit the binary file resources.arsc!
    - So, I first replaced the aapt.exe and apktool.jar provided by the OP by the ones at this link:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34806981&postcount=265.
    and followed the first few step provided by the OP.
    - Then I followed the recipe provided in the following post and edited the original apk and to obtain the modded one:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1823223

The final apk is notably smaller than the original one, but is is due to the compression.

I can perform call directly with stock Dialer (no need of ExDialer) and the quality is way better than with GrooveIP or Talkatone.

I had to go this way since we don't have access (yet) to Google Voice in Canada!

Last, it seems (I have to try) that SIP account can be added to the stock dialer by changing the DPI to 320 in build.prop file, ie this post (for the Nexus 7 3G):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34752693&highlight=320#post34752693

the new apktool is here :
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...-2-support-the-latest-smalibaksmali-bugfixes/
    https://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/

so I think (not tried yet) that we can simply follow the op and just replace the aapt.exe and apktool.jarwith the updated one.

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7
    Working for stock roms, no mod required.

This info should be added to OP in my opinion to give alternatives and info to new comers, those on stock/odexed roms etc. Just insert a note after step 1 setting up csip, then after putting this info in, leave the framework mod info for those with deodexed roms and whom want a traditional dialer. -- People on stock and odexed Roms can simply setup the csip for incoming calls and use this handy posters advice. You won't get a "traditional" style dialer but the functionality is all there, no need for dialers and voice+. Just the regular Google voice app and you're off and running making and receiving calls plus for those who don't know yet you can also text with the Google voice app and service. You can replace his IPKall reference with whatever phone number your SIP service of choice has provided you. Works like a charm for me on stock 4.2. Thanks 32str8 (thank his post on page ten)!
    For those of you who want to use a stock ROM and do not want to mess with the framework apk or are having a hard time with it (it is a bit tricky/annoying). Set up the tablet for incoming calls as described in the initial post and then if you want to make an outgoing call open up your Google voice app and use the click to call icon (phone icon) type in the number to call in the appropriate area (if you have your contacts in Google voice you can use #'s or letters to recall the list to select). In the "phone to call with" area make sure your IPKall number is selected then hit connect. Wait, your Nexus 7 will ring, answer it and it will place the call through with your Google voice number as the id seen on the other end. Nice and easy. All of the Gmail connectivity stays in tact and your call log is accessible form your Google voice account/app. Hope that helps.
    Just wondering if somebody had chance with this mod with JB >=4.2 ?

The apktool provided in the OP does not work, so I found an apktool.jar and aapt.exe that are working correctly with JB >=4.2 and replaced the file provided by the OP (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34806981&postcount=265).

Then it worked perfectly to decompile/compile/sign/...
    However, the framework-res.apk created is only ~5.8MB while the original one is 9.4MB ....!I when ahead and applied the created patch.
    It some what worked since phone functionality appeared, however, I did not manage to achieve a call (with Dialer I was reaching the Voice+ plus panel where it tells you that if it does not ring in 5 s you can cancel ... ExDialer was stopping the call before that panel).
    Also my system had a weird behavior and I had two "Android system" processes running (is that normal ?) so I restored to my original system.

Anyone as tried it with > 4.2

When doing similar edits using apktool to enable native sip stack on sgsii it was important to NOT allow compression when repacking the apk. I recall something about a pack only option.