Cm10.1 with wrong gapps

Search This thread

charminster

Apr 14, 2014
Please help I am new to this stuff and yesterday I got my phone to cm 10.1 but I realized the .zip from the thread was wrong and now i have 4.2.1 running on my phone but 4.3 gapps and because of that my phones keyboard wont work. Also I cant flash new gapps because it doesn't let me install from my external sd and i haven't found a way to connect my phone to my computer.
Can someone please help me?
Tell me ways I can connect to my pc?

Connor Baker

May 9, 2012
Please help I am new to this stuff and yesterday I got my phone to cm 10.1 but I realized the .zip from the thread was wrong and now i have 4.2.1 running on my phone but 4.3 gapps and because of that my phones keyboard wont work. Also I cant flash new gapps because it doesn't let me install from my external sd and i haven't found a way to connect my phone to my computer.

You can't just... Plug it in to your PC? Don't you have a USB cable?

Connor Baker

Last edited:
Reactions: Fullmetal Jun

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
No it doesn't connect to my computer. Even tried with other computers and wires

If you cannot turn developer mode on and use ADB push, then, you should be able to in CWM.

Failing that, does Google Play work?

If so, install (from your PC via Google Play page) WiFi File Transfer Pro, fire up an FTP session and push the needed GApps over.

And if all else fails...

ODIN back to stock.

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
I really don't get it
Can you explain this in detail?

Sure thing.

ADB is the debug program for Android. You can use it specifically to push files to the device. But it is not turned on on the device by default. You will need to go into developer options under settings and turn USB debugging on (if Developer Options is not there, go into About Phone and tap Build Number 7 or 8 times tom unlock the feature).

For this to work, you will need a linux PC with an ADB binary (if using Debian/Ubuntu, can "apt-get install adb", then run adb as superuser or sudo) or a windows computer with adbsetup installed. The latter will install the program to C:\adb. So open a command prompt and (with the device plugged in and developer options turned on) type:

Code:
c:
cd \adb
adb devices

You should get a listing of your device, raring to go. If so, great! Copy the the appropriate Gapps package to C:\ADB and type:

Code:
adb push gapps-4.2.zip gapps-4.2.zip

...or whatever the filename is called (there twice as it needs the local and remote file name).

So if that works, can reboot into recovery (CWM) via the three finger salute (turn device off fully, wait a few seconds, hold down both volume buttons while pressing the power button), wipe dalvik cache, and flash the right GApps.

Another option is if you can add Google Play apps to your device. Don't imagine, but if it is possible, fire up your computer and log into your Google Play account. Search for "WiFi File Transfer Pro" and install. With a Wifi connection on the device, it should download and install. If it doesn't, try the scorched earth option below. If it does install, open Wifi File Transfer Pro, turn on FTP server, and keep note of the IP address and Port (Will be noted as IP:port). Open or install an FTP client like FileZilla on your PC, and open a connection using that IP address and Port. Transfer the Gapps package over to the device, in the root folder. Then like above, reboot into recovery and wipe dalvik, flash gapps.

The last option, the scorched earth method, is to bring everything back to stock, mind you with root and CWM. Pick option D from the above link (previous post). Download and install adbsetup for the drivers. Option D download will come with a program called ODIN, and that link will have detailed instructions (download and extract the files, open ODIN, put the phone into download mode by turning the device off, hold down both volume buttons while inserting the MicroUSB cable, place the extracted files inthe right sections of ODIN, and flash away).

Hope this helps.

charminster

Apr 14, 2014
Ok one of my main problems is that I can't use keyboard...which means no internet because I can't type any passwords
And the other big thing is that none of my computers connect toy phone even with USB debugging on from setting and even in recovery
I was wondering if I get a connection with no password will I be update from the phone because there is an option to do so.

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Ok one of my main problems is that I can't use keyboard...which means no internet because I can't type any passwords
And the other big thing is that none of my computers connect toy phone even with USB debugging on from setting and even in recovery
I was wondering if I get a connection with no password will I be update from the phone because there is an option to do so.

Because Google Play is part of Gapps, there is no guarantee that will work either to update. If you can find an unsecured network (or temporarily turn off WPA on your router), you can test this, but at this point, I would be doing the scorched earth method. You would only be going back to Gingerbread, and however you play your cards (whether you disable lagfix or flash ICS as an intermediary), you would only be one or two flashes away from a functional Jellybean.

charminster

Apr 14, 2014
Ok my phone doesnt connect with usb ive tried several different times.
I did the adb method everything was fine except i didnt get the device list ,it was empty.
So if it cant connect how will i connect it to my computer to use odin?
Ps. I did download the drivers

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
I did the adb method everything was fine except i didnt get the device list ,it was empty.

True enough. Lets try this (as I just thought about it via some other weird, more convoluted way). CM 10.1 comes with a file manager right? Download the 4.2 Gapps onto your mcroSD card, insert it into your device. Fire up the file manager. Copy the Gapps file from the external SD card to the internal card, root folder (where the offending Gapps lies). Reboot into ClockworkMod and wipe Dalvik and install the appropriate zip.

If this does not work, my more convoluted way wouldn't either (search and download "wifi file transfer pro apk" to SD, open with file manager, install, follow the rest of above option 2), and would be out of options except getting your hardware fixed (as it sounds like your device not connecting via USB is a hardware issue).

Reactions: Asher687

charminster

Apr 14, 2014
Ive tried with micro sd before and it hasnt worked
The thing is that All of this stopped working after the update and the thing that i disliked the most was that when i was getting the update it said jb 4.2 gapps but proved wrong
:(:crying:

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Ive tried with micro sd before and it hasnt worked

You tried mounting the microSD with the proper Gapps, and copying it with CM's File Manager (to the internal disk to be picked up by CWM later)? Just being clear, and making sure you are not talking about trying to install a zip directly from the MicroSD with CWM (as mentioned, and ruled out before). Because these are two completely different things. Is the MicroSD readable at all on your device? Is it formatted properly (FAT32, or even Ext2/3/4, but not NTFS)?

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Can you explain the formatting stuff?

Sure. Insert the microSD into your computer, and open up Windows Explorer. There will be a new drive that appears. Right click on that removable drive, and select Properties. Confirm the File System. If it is FAT32, you are okay. If it is NTFS, or exFAT, you will need to format (as the Infuse will not recognize these formats). Press Cancel.

Before beginning, make a backup of the MicroSD card, as we are going to wipe and start from scratch. Then, right click on the removable drive again (and only this drive, or you will cause damage to your computer) and select Format. Change the file system to FAT32. If this is not an option, find and download a disk utility that will (I'm not familiar with them, but google "removable storage format fat32 download" for one). Press start, and wait a few minutes. When done, you can reload your files on the drive (restore your backup), and try inserting it in your Infuse again.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

charminster

Apr 14, 2014
I followed all your steps bit the phone still doesnt read it i opened setting..storage..mount external sd
But it wasnt letting me and the same thing trying through recoveryCWM

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
I followed all your steps bit the phone still doesnt read it i opened setting..storage..mount external sd
But it wasnt letting me and the same thing trying through recoveryCWM

Probably not, IIRC external SD did not work in CWM for the Infuse. But re-read post #10, what I'm suggesting is getting CWM to read the proper Gapps from the internal card, but placing it there with CyanogenMod's file manager.

CM 10.1 comes with a file manager right? Download the 4.2 Gapps onto your mcroSD card, insert it into your device. Fire up the file manager. Copy the Gapps file from the external SD card to the internal card, root folder (where the offending Gapps lies). Reboot into ClockworkMod and wipe Dalvik and install the appropriate zip.

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
I cant get it there because i cant do anything with the sd card it doesnt show in file manager either

Sorry, I misread your previous post. Thanks for the clarification. What are the details on the microSD card? Make, model, speed, capacity? If it is a 64+ GB card, it would spell problems as the Infuse was never rated for a capacity that large.

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
No reason why the microSD won't work in the Infuse.

If you have a Bluetooth keyboard you can borrow - or try buying (not sure if it will connect) - but if you can get your hands on one, you could use that (never had to use one so I don't know how they connect) to download the right GApps package to your phone (via the built-in browser).

I'm curious as well, if the speech-to-text works. You could use google now search to find the gapps package ("okay google, xda developers") and browse to the right page. Of course you will need a unsecured network to attempt.

Other than that, unfortunately I'm out of ideas.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You can't just... Plug it in to your PC? Don't you have a USB cable?

Connor Baker

True enough. Lets try this (as I just thought about it via some other weird, more convoluted way). CM 10.1 comes with a file manager right? Download the 4.2 Gapps onto your mcroSD card, insert it into your device. Fire up the file manager. Copy the Gapps file from the external SD card to the internal card, root folder (where the offending Gapps lies). Reboot into ClockworkMod and wipe Dalvik and install the appropriate zip.

If this does not work, my more convoluted way wouldn't either (search and download "wifi file transfer pro apk" to SD, open with file manager, install, follow the rest of above option 2), and would be out of options except getting your hardware fixed (as it sounds like your device not connecting via USB is a hardware issue).