[Q] Knock on and battery life

Search This thread

crediblefi

Mar 10, 2014
I just got a G2 (vs980), and I'm about to put Cyanogenmod 10.2 on it (after no amount of crying and screaming before figuring out how to update the 10.2 zip with new loki bits). I was wondering, does anyone know if the CGM knock-on feature eats more battery than the stock rom's version?

coburn_c

Sep 12, 2008
Fort Wayne
I just got a G2 (vs980), and I'm about to put Cyanogenmod 10.2 on it (after no amount of crying and screaming before figuring out how to update the 10.2 zip with new loki bits). I was wondering, does anyone know if the CGM knock-on feature eats more battery than the stock rom's version?

I haven't used the CM knock-on on this phone, but on the nexus 4 it ate 1% per hour, at least double what it ate when off.

deathshead

Aug 8, 2010
Cm is still buggy on the vs980. i would wait out the 5years Verizon will take to finally update to kk first.

I'm surprised that the att and or tmo kk builds haven't been ported yet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

crediblefi

Mar 10, 2014
Cm is still buggy on the vs980. i would wait out the 5years Verizon will take to finally update to kk first.

I'm surprised that the att and or tmo kk builds haven't been ported yet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Even the stable builds? I'd love to get rid of all of the vzw bloatware etc, and I'm missing Cm bad haha :(

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I haven't used the CM knock-on on this phone, but on the nexus 4 it ate 1% per hour, at least double what it ate when off.

That's because it wasn't supported at a low level like it is on the G2. Other devices it requires a wakelock or partial wakelock.

As for the OP, no, knock-on uses immeasurable battery. Some people say that I believe "Android System" usage drops if you disable Knock On but I have yet to see anyone show any real information that it changed battery life.

I'm not a heavy user but I take my phone off charge at 7am and put it back on at 11pm and it's at 80% or so most days. I could easily go two days, but I'd prefer the more shallow charge cycles to make the battery last as long as possible.

coburn_c

Sep 12, 2008
Fort Wayne
That's because it wasn't supported at a low level like it is on the G2. Other devices it requires a wakelock or partial wakelock.

As for the OP, no, knock-on uses immeasurable battery. Some people say that I believe "Android System" usage drops if you disable Knock On but I have yet to see anyone show any real information that it changed battery life.

I'm not a heavy user but I take my phone off charge at 7am and put it back on at 11pm and it's at 80% or so most days. I could easily go two days, but I'd prefer the more shallow charge cycles to make the battery last as long as possible.

The custom code for CM doesn't take advantage of any of the low level stuff. It just keeps the digitizer on all the time, even during phone calls.

votinh

Jul 6, 2011

In my specific case, disabling Knock ON/OFF has improved battery life significantly, dramatically, from 49% drop (from 100 to 51) over 8-hour night (doing nothing) to 2% drop over the same period of time, again, doing nothing.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
naaa i doubt it, lg stuff is mostly proprietary, they cant be used by others legally. besides touch to wake came way befre lg even introduced the known on feature !

Yes, it's been around prior to it, but that doesn't mean that the kernel for the G2 isn't using something better than the old one that caused wakelocks... I searched the CM gerrit quickly but didn't find anything.

In my specific case, disabling Knock ON/OFF has improved battery life significantly, dramatically, from 49% drop (from 100 to 51) over 8-hour night (doing nothing) to 2% drop over the same period of time, again, doing nothing.

I've seen .4% sustained drop per hour on wifi at my house idle multiple times, on AOKP 4.3. I've never even considered disabling knock-on.