[APP] 4G Toggle Widget v1.2 (6/18) - w/Sense disabled + SOURCE

Search This thread

dmc971989

Dec 17, 2009
would you be interested in making a matching 3g toggle widget?

i havent been able to find a decent one in the market

orlandojumpoff

Sep 6, 2007
awesome, looking forward to the centering fix. Also, have you thought about making the widget a little larger? The android power widget looks so huge next to the 4g widget...
thanks

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Re: 4G Widget w/Sense disabled

awesome, looking forward to the centering fix. Also, have you thought about making the widget a little larger? The android power widget looks so huge next to the 4g widget...
thanks

Yeah, just noticed that. I was in a rush to get the first version so I didn't apply as much fit & finish as i usually would. It'll come in the next build.

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

jabbawalkee

Dec 22, 2008
Chevy Chase, MD
twitter.com
Re: 4G Widget w/Sense disabled

Great job on the 4G toggle widget...does what I need it to. Not even going to mention centering because you're already aware, but I would suggest making the widget a bit large (like the size of an icon plus text bottom...search curvefish on market and look at the sizes he uses for toggle widgets). Thanks again man

Sent via the XDA App

RickBaller

Jun 10, 2010
My Evo doesn't recognize how to open the .apk. Usually the Package Installer will be presented when I try and open a .apk file but I get an error saying there's no way to open the file.

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
My Evo doesn't recognize how to open the .apk. Usually the Package Installer will be presented when I try and open a .apk file but I get an error saying there's no way to open the file.

Are you trying to download and open it directly? It looks like the forum is serving up the APK with the wrong Content-Type header. Try downloading it somewhere onto your phone and then opening it with ASTRO or something like that.

I'll replace the APK with a ZIP containing the APK instead so nobody else runs into this.

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Great job on the 4G toggle widget...does what I need it to. Not even going to mention centering because you're already aware, but I would suggest making the widget a bit large (like the size of an icon plus text bottom...search curvefish on market and look at the sizes he uses for toggle widgets). Thanks again man

Sent via the XDA App

Thanks for the suggestion about looking into Curvefish! Those widgets are pretty neat. I tried to make it similar-sized and easier to push in this version but I only have pretty basic graphics skills. Oh well =|

B3RL1N

Sep 26, 2009
Las Vegas
tyler.berlin
rdude, mind explaining how you made this widget?
I have the Android SDK and all I can say is "meh". I'm more of a graphic designer than a coder.

Was this created easily and is there a simple way to reskin widgets? Any reference material?

Thanks in advance for anything. Keep up the good work!
-BBQ

ppatel300

Nov 9, 2006
rdude, just purchased your 4G widget, works great!! Been waiting for one.

Any chance you can create another widget for "mobile data" like on the HTC sense.

I know you can access it via holding the power button down, but I like all my settings in one place.

Thanks.

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
I have the Android SDK and all I can say is "meh". I'm more of a graphic designer than a coder.

Was this created easily and is there a simple way to reskin widgets? Any reference material?

-BBQ

There is reference material in the Android SDK docs, and I'm sure if you are a graphic designer you could do a lot better job than I can:
http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/ui_guidelines/widget_design.html

I just used the PSD from the SDK that contains reference textures and stuff. I actually don't even have PhotoShop, did it using the free Paint.NET editor. If you want to try to reskin it, just extract the APK, and look for a res/drawable-hdpi folder. It has three PNG's in it, "enabled", "disabled", and "intermidate". I think you should just be able to replace those, though since APK's have to be signed I don't what effect that would have on the digital signature/if the APK would still be installable.

spiicytuna

Feb 5, 2009
SF/Bay Area
spiicytuna.com
There is reference material in the Android SDK docs, and I'm sure if you are a graphic designer you could do a lot better job than I can:

I just used the PSD from the SDK that contains reference textures and stuff. I actually don't even have PhotoShop, did it using the free Paint.NET editor. If you want to try to reskin it, just extract the APK, and look for a res/drawable-hdpi folder. It has three PNG's in it, "enabled", "disabled", and "intermidate". I think you should just be able to replace those, though since APK's have to be signed I don't what effect that would have on the digital signature/if the APK would still be installable.

And if you do reskin it, we'd, well I'd, love to see you and rdude collaborate i.e. incorporate your spiffy skinned design into the currently awesome non-sense widget.

jabbawalkee

Dec 22, 2008
Chevy Chase, MD
twitter.com
Thanks for the suggestion about looking into Curvefish! Those widgets are pretty neat. I tried to make it similar-sized and easier to push in this version but I only have pretty basic graphics skills. Oh well =|

Hey man...I downloaded v1.1 last night and have to say it is looking really nice. Widget is centered and a good size now. I love it, thanks for your work.

Curvefish does some really nice widgets huh? I'm with you on the graphic skills but I know someone who is very good at Photoshop and design so if you want I could ask him to whip something together for us. He's known on the forums as manup456 and I'm sure he'd be happy to do it if I asked him.

Let me know if you want me to ask him!

jabbawalkee

Dec 22, 2008
Chevy Chase, MD
twitter.com

-BBQ

Skinning the toggle widget would actually be very easy :) all you do is rename the end of the APK to ZIP, extract, then navigate to /Toggle4GWidget/res/drawable-hdpi and there are the images you'd need to edit :)

jabbawalkee

Dec 22, 2008
Chevy Chase, MD
twitter.com
So...for fun, I decided to edit the images in the 4G Toggle apk from this thread and replace them with the stock images for the 4G Toggle. It's not perfect, but here's the result:

Toggle Off:
snap20100616_170048.png

Intermediate - toggle turning on:
snap20100616_170056.png

Toggle On:
snap20100616_170242-1.png

Did this because I thought it would be fun to have the sense 4G toggle on vanilla Android, mix things up a bit. Thanks for making this possible rdude!

B3RL1N

Sep 26, 2009
Las Vegas
tyler.berlin

Alright, thanks man. I really do appreciate it.
If for any reason I do reskin it and it works, I'll keep it to myself or send you the apk.

Someone was just asking about a Non-Sense 4G widget over on Androidforums. I linked them to your Widget via this thread and your QRcode. Hopefully I got you some marketplace purchases. ;)