YAY!! Real task management!

Search This thread

syrusfrost

Nov 10, 2007
So, downloaded pTerminal from the market.

YAY! :D ps and kill aren't blocked!

If you want to manage tasks enter command "ps" view the tasks.

If you want to kill a task type "kill <pid>"

Fun times... Finally, I can kill the tasks that are syncing and using gps etc in the background.

Edit: If you are interested in killing tasks to preserve memory, you should know by now that the memory management is automatic. There is no need to kill tasks to free up memory. If a task is doing something you don't want it to do though (i.e. eating up battery by doing unnecessary **** in the background) then by all means use this method to kill it for now.

I would like to see a comprehensive task manager in the future with not memory usage, but awake time for the app listed, network usage and a combined "Battery Usage" figure using all the other data...

Last edited:

syrusfrost

Nov 10, 2007
Har, looking at the process list there's a few on here running as root... buffers? Yes I do think so.

SplasPood

Nov 1, 2008
Other pTerminal finds..

Not sure if this has been posted in the forum before but if you're connected via wifi (at least...?) you can run system/bin/telnetd in pTerminal then telnet to the IP of the phone... It'll drop you to what appears to be a root shell...

syrusfrost

Nov 10, 2007
Not sure if this has been posted in the forum before but if you're connected via wifi (at least...?) you can run system/bin/telnetd in pTerminal then telnet to the IP of the phone... It'll drop you to what appears to be a root shell...

Thank you for the tip. It doesn't appear to be a root shell, BUT the process runs as root, which should be just as good as soon as I drop my own sshd in there... just have to compile for the right processor hehe...

satadru

Oct 31, 2008
telnet?

What did you type in exactly to get telnetd to run? Any flags you passed?

I'm trying /system/bin/telnetd from pterminal, but it never runs.

syrusfrost

Nov 10, 2007
What did you type in exactly to get telnetd to run? Any flags you passed?

I'm trying /system/bin/telnetd from pterminal, but it never runs.

I had to run it twice before it ran, then once it started it's like a watchdog process killed it after a few minutes.

do...

Code:
# cd system
# cd bin
# telnetd
# ps

Then scroll to the bottom to see if it's running. THEN connect really quick, because it seems to die off fast :(.

SplasPood

Nov 1, 2008
It seems that unless you first cd to system/bin running telnetd doesn't work. It also seems t-mobile does inbound filtering so I cannot root my phone remotely... :-/ ;)

syrusfrost

Nov 10, 2007
It also seems t-mobile does inbound filtering so I cannot root my phone remotely... :-/ ;)

What if... you recompiled a VPN client for ARM and ran it on the phone, having it connected to your home network?

It would be a battery drainer for sure... Perhaps activate it with an SMS message? Or maybe a flag it checks for on a static html page every 10 minutes?