Otterbox Defender case

Search This thread

mrnick101

Nov 8, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good car mount that goes well w/ the defender case?

I see a lot of options out there, but would like to feedback from someone who has used one.

Thanks

JWhipple

Jul 16, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Can anyone recommend a good car mount that goes well w/ the defender case?

I see a lot of options out there, but would like to feedback from someone who has used one.

Thanks

My otterbox is still en-route to me - I haven't personally used one of these mounts, but a co-worker of mine swears by it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SlipGrip-OtterB...Accessories&hash=item5d2b63c2be#ht_2726wt_905

I may be ordering one myself before the end of the day. If you don't like dealing with Ebay, go to www.slipgripcarmounts.com .

Last edited:

BADMOPAR

Nov 15, 2009
Hi Guys, I'm working in a coal mine and I want to use my HD2 like an MP3 player. It's the headphone plug accessible with Defender case on it? And what about the micro USB for charging?

zarathustrax

Aug 29, 2007
SouthSide of Chicago
Hi Guys, I'm working in a coal mine and I want to use my HD2 like an MP3 player. It's the headphone plug accessible with Defender case on it? And what about the micro USB for charging?

There's a flap at bottom of case that opens and allows access to both audio port and microusb port. I bet you could even cut a slit in the rubber flap and rig it up so you can close the flap around a headphones plug so that you can keep it closed while keeping headphones plugged in so you don't get dust in.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

halx

May 2, 2010
N.Cal

Attachments

• OtterBox.Defender.jpg
    OtterBox.Defender.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

osrix

Sep 18, 2008
Extended battery mod!

I just finished a mod on my Defender to fit the extended battery!!
Like a few of you in this thread I use my HD2 at work in a dusty environment, but i'm also out for long periods and my battery doesnt always make it through the day, yeah ive got a spare but i dont wana have to take my phone out of its case to change it :eek:

So here it is, not great photos cos its late, I will update soon with some better pics. I'm just pleased to have done it. Ive been thinking about doing it for a while but ive been too scared :eek: I reckon its worked out pretty well... (the case was pretty battered before i started!):D

used a dremel to cut the back out, chopped down the plastic back that came with the extended battery then glued to the back and reinforced with epoxy putty on the inside, I had to cut the rubber as i woulnt stretch over the new bulge, so I just glued the piece onto it... Not extremely pretty i admit but it works and ive never seen one like this before :p

Attachments

• IMAG0025.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMAG0028.jpg
    IMAG0028.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Reactions: halx

halx

May 2, 2010
N.Cal
Great job! I really like the idea! Could you make a photo from the side, so to see how much it adds to the thickness? Also, do you think it is possible to have the battery reliably sitting there without its plastic lid piece, with only the outer rubber shell of the case holding it in place?

By the way, I should probably have my lanyard mini mod posted here instead: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=954603

Last edited:

osrix

Sep 18, 2008
Great job! I really like the idea! Could you make a photo from the side, so to see how much it adds to the thickness? Also, do you think it is possible to have the battery reliably sitting there without its plastic lid piece, with only the outer rubber shell of the case holding it in place?

By the way, I should probably have my lanyard mini mod posted here instead: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=954603

Thanks! The battery's totally covered by the modded back cover so its not going anywhere! Its hard to see but i will post some better pics later for you to take a look at.

EDIT: some decentish pics of the finished mod. it could be thinner if i had left the rubber off the extended back but I thought it tidied it a bit and also adds more protection!

Attachments

• P1030744.jpg
    P1030744.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 114
  • P1030745.jpg
    P1030745.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 103
  • P1030746.jpg
    P1030746.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 110
  • P1030747.jpg
    P1030747.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 98
  • P1030750.jpg
    P1030750.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 98
  • P1030749.jpg
    P1030749.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

osrix

Sep 18, 2008
Nice pics, thanks! Really the Mad Max style! :)

Yeah!, i love it too used it properly today, and although it feels a bit chunky but its excellent:)

I like your lanyard mod! Maybe we should start a Defender Mod Thread :D

I also fixed the belt clip onto my bike for Sat nav through BT headset for when i'm getting round London, but now I'm gonna have to Re-Model it to fit the Defender Extreme edition! LOL

Last edited:

si3eck684

Jan 14, 2009
Stylus Holder?

For those of you that purchased this for their US T-Mobile version, did you guys get the stylus holder along with the holster? I just got my case, but it doesn't have it attached to the holster, just holes where it would probably go.

So is the US version suppose to come with it, or are we not suppose to get one? Thanks in advance ;)!

stevedebi

Sep 7, 2005
Los Angeles
For those of you that purchased this for their US T-Mobile version, did you guys get the stylus holder along with the holster? I just got my case, but it doesn't have it attached to the holster, just holes where it would probably go.

So is the US version suppose to come with it, or are we not suppose to get one? Thanks in advance ;)!

I did not receive one, I believe the site lists it as an optional accessory. No point in a stylus for a capacitive screen anyway...

si3eck684

Jan 14, 2009
Ok I see. I guess I wasn't the only one that didn't receive one, which is good to know :). The I was going to get a stylus if it came with a holder, which was why I was looking for one (just so that I can fill the spot and use it as necessary :p). But looks like I'll be saving that money for a mini bluetooth keyboard.

Now, if there was some that we can do about all the dust that builds up on the front screen and camera lens! It's only been one day, but man does it collect dust!

Kameirus

Feb 5, 2010
Akron Ohio
glad i found this thread cause ive been thinking about getting the otterbox
and after reading this im getting the defender
gonna order it on mon
Thanks for all the reviews of it

si3eck684

Jan 14, 2009
I did not receive one, I believe the site lists it as an optional accessory. No point in a stylus for a capacitive screen anyway...

If you do some drawing it would be nice to have on.

PS: I didnt get the holder either.

Ok, so while I posted a question here on the forums, I also posted this same question on otterbox's offical website. I was expecting the same answer that you guys gave me (that it didn't/doesn't come with the US version), but they just replied saying that it should come with the stylus holder? Could he be making a mistake, or is it that we just didn't get one? Check it the Q & A section on their main site for yourself: (sorry tried to post a link but won't let me until eight post :confused:...)

Do you guys mind if you can tell us where you purchased you defender case from? I got my off a ebay... maybe that was a mistake? By the way you can get the case from amazon.com with free two day shipping if you have prime, unfortunately I found out about this one day too late :(. Let us know guys!

halx

May 2, 2010
N.Cal
One more important note about the defender (and perhaps the commute) case, for some reason not covered here. Many people who have the case for several months discovered that the screen cover starts sticking to the screen. That creates bubble - like spots in particular areas of the screen, which are quite noticeable and for some very annoying.

If you google for that problem you will find a lot of links for "magic" solutions involving a tricky application of a very thin layer of baby powder to the back side of the screen protector film. People believe that the effect is caused by electrostatic buildup in the film.

But they are wrong. The protector film simply became saturated with the human body liquids and therefore starts sticking to the screen. It's just too moist (greasy). To fix that, you can use the same baby powder, which is highly hydrophilic. Apply a fair amount to the inner surface and run it all over the screen by tilting the top lid several times in different directions, making sure the powder covers the entire screen surface not just sticking to it. Put the lid on the table and cover with a piece of paper. Leave it like that for at least an hour (I'm leaving it overnight). After that shake out the loose powder, use compressed air to clean the case completely. Finalize with your favorite microfiber cloth.

No sticking for another couple of months or so!

stevedebi

Sep 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Ok, so while I posted a question here on the forums, I also posted this same question on otterbox's offical website. I was expecting the same answer that you guys gave me (that it didn't/doesn't come with the US version), but they just replied saying that it should come with the stylus holder? Could he be making a mistake, or is it that we just didn't get one? Check it the Q & A section on their main site for yourself: (sorry tried to post a link but won't let me until eight post :confused:...)

Do you guys mind if you can tell us where you purchased you defender case from? I got my off a ebay... maybe that was a mistake? By the way you can get the case from amazon.com with free two day shipping if you have prime, unfortunately I found out about this one day too late :(. Let us know guys!

Got mine on Amazon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Extended battery mod!

I just finished a mod on my Defender to fit the extended battery!!
    Like a few of you in this thread I use my HD2 at work in a dusty environment, but i'm also out for long periods and my battery doesnt always make it through the day, yeah ive got a spare but i dont wana have to take my phone out of its case to change it :eek:

So here it is, not great photos cos its late, I will update soon with some better pics. I'm just pleased to have done it. Ive been thinking about doing it for a while but ive been too scared :eek: I reckon its worked out pretty well... (the case was pretty battered before i started!):D

used a dremel to cut the back out, chopped down the plastic back that came with the extended battery then glued to the back and reinforced with epoxy putty on the inside, I had to cut the rubber as i woulnt stretch over the new bulge, so I just glued the piece onto it... Not extremely pretty i admit but it works and ive never seen one like this before :p
    Hello!
    As everyone knows - there is 2 versions of Defender case: International and U.S.

Can you tell me, please, if I have Europe (that is to say - International) HD2 - will it be very silly step to buy U.S. Defender for it? I can have one for VERY low price, but...
    Does Int. Defender/U.S. Defender cases really so different? The HD2s itselfs differ (on exterior) by 1.5 mm in height only (U.S. Leo is higher)...

That will not be a smart move. The defender is supposed to be a perfect fit, you will not get that with a US case on a EU phone. Dont do it!

Sent from my HD2 with WP7 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App